Poll

Fayepocalypse! What Next?

The hospital waiting room?
- 50 (33.3%)
Faye on a trip down Deriver Denial?
- 26 (17.3%)
Emergency Cast Meeting?
- 45 (30%)
The police station, charged with the assault (or even murder) of Pintsize?
- 9 (6%)
Weird archetype-filled dream sequence for Faye in which she sees her life as a strange Pyroland-like fantasy and is Elightened?
- 20 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 139

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: 2882-2886 (26-30 January 2015)  (Read 136806 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCDT: 2882-2886 (26-30 January 2015)
« Reply #1000 on: 31 Jan 2015, 07:40 »

my headcanon has a car passing playing an appropriate toto song at this point!

"Hold The Line"?  ;)

Wouldn't it be funny if she decided to go to New York, say her peace to Angus, then come back and start looking for another job?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
Re: WCDT: 2882-2886 (26-30 January 2015)
« Reply #1001 on: 31 Jan 2015, 08:36 »

That's Pintsize's song. Maybe that throws her into another crying moment after remembering whatever the hell she did to him.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #1002 on: 31 Jan 2015, 09:01 »

You can't hold Dora responsible for Faye drinking herself into the hospital after being fired.

Can and will, but only to the extent that Faye remains responsible for her own actions, and I only hold Dora responsible for hers.  Dora did the right thing at the time by firing Faye, her employee who she just caught drinking on the job.  The right thing to do later would have been to stop by and see Faye, her friend who's been having some tough shit happen to her exacerbating her drinking problem.

Is it possible that Dora intended to do just that, but was working at CoD late because, hey, now she's an employee short?  Maybe she intended to go over when she was done, but Marten found Faye first.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

bartman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #1003 on: 31 Jan 2015, 10:13 »

If the characters conducted themselves with perfect foresight and free of hangups, it would be a much duller strip.

Ok, good point. To build on it, the comic would also be far less realistic, as people in real life do screw up.

And probably a lot less interesting. A story in which nothing ever happens isn't going to be very interesting.

I'm just one of those people that when i see someone making the same mistakes over, and over, or making new mistakes for the same root reason; i want to slap them across the back of the head, and yell "The hell's wrong with you?!?". I want to do the exact same thing when i see Faye imploding yet another of her relationships; but sense i can't do that to a character form a webcomic, i've come to the forum to rant, and toss out my .02$ instead.

Fair enough. I feel the same way. But if Dora is guilty of not trying to help Faye here, then so are Hanners, Marten and probably a few others too, yet the hate seems mostly reserved for Dora. But they all saw her train start to come off the tracks.

Maybe they all just had things going on in their lives too, whether good or bad, that distracted them for that crucial bit of time. That doesn't make any of them bad people, just flawed people. Or, y'know, as we're all flawed, simply people.

I have no problem at all of ignoring the agency, and free will of a drunk friend if i feel it's needed. If they're drunk, and say "i'm ok to drive.", it bothers me not at all to take their keys, and tell them to sleep on the couch, call a ride, or walk home; likewise if they've been getting tanked every day for a week, dropping them off at a clinic so they can dry out is something i'd do without batting an eye.

I think there's a difference between cutting a potential drink driver off and essentially kidnapping someone, which is what it would be to take someone away somewhere against their will.

I bet if Dora had "forced Faye into the car, not told her where they were going, and driven her to rehab" all of the Dora haters would be going "Dora is such a control freak! How dare she exert that control outside of the employer/employee context! Blah blee bloo" NOTHING DORA DOES WILL EVER SATISFY YOU.

Actually, if she'd done that it would have gone a long way to changing my view of the character.

And upset plenty of others as trva123 points out. Poor girl can't catch a break here.

She knew Faye drank to drown her issues, she saw that Faye had been holding a bottle like an old friend. It shouldn't take a Ph. D in psychology to figure out that she was in trouble, and that telling her "you're fired, get help", and then just walking away would be about as effective as trying to put out a fire with a can of paint thinner.

I'm pretty sure it was Faye who just walked away. Dora has her business to run so her options to abandon that and go racing down the street to force someone to listen to her who had said they were not going to listen while doing all the just walking away themselves would be somewhat limited.

Interlude

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1004 on: 31 Jan 2015, 10:27 »

Is it possible that Dora intended to do just that, but was working at CoD late because, hey, now she's an employee short?  Maybe she intended to go over when she was done, but Marten found Faye first.

This. I've seen several people say or imply that Dora should have immediately done something to help Faye. Marten found Faye and then cancelled his date plans-- I'm guessing that means he found Faye early to mid evening, depending on what time he gets off from work. Dora was most likely still working. Friend Dora would probably check up on Faye, once she cooled down a bit. If she had known that she was going to drink herself into the hospital, I'm sure she WOULD have helped immediately. But how many people can predict things like that? It's easier, as the reader, but when things like that happen in real life... Well, you usually don't find out until later. You may feel guilty because so many signs were there, but it's pretty human to miss them.

I'm wondering if there is an opportunity here for Dora and Sven to come together. He IS her big brother, and I imagine that Dora is going to have a hard time talking to most of the other QC characters at the moment. I don't know if he even realizes that she has decided to cut him out of her life. Maybe it's just because I'm very close to my siblings, but I would want to step in and reassure my sister that she did the right thing, it's not her fault, etc. I think his stepping up and being there for Dora, at this moment, would be a big character growth moment for both of them-- although, it would depend on Dora's reaction, as well.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #1005 on: 31 Jan 2015, 11:34 »

Honestly, the only real issue I've had with Dora about this was not texting/calling Marten to give him a heads up that something was wrong. She didn't need to go into details, just that Marten probably needed to check in on her.

Marten probably could have left work early for an emergency (I mean, his boss is Tai).

That being said, no one is perfect, and not calling Marten wasn't WRONG, it just probably would have been a slightly better path than was taken. Or maybe it wouldn't have been, idk.

Basically, this is a train wreck of stuff that happened, and I think everyone, for the most part, has done the best they could in the situation, and anything I could come up with is just nitpicking. The level of anger and judgment in this thread is just nonsensical to me.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1006 on: 31 Jan 2015, 12:36 »

I've been thinking about Dora calling Marten and really no scenario works out well for anyone. What can Dora say that doesn't complete wreck someone's day?
"Hey Marten, we need to talk about Faye."
"Marten, I caught Faye drinking at work."
"Marten, I'm sorry but I had to fire Faye today because I caught her drinking."

And any other variation is not going to work out well for anyone at all.

wlewisiii

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #1007 on: 31 Jan 2015, 14:24 »

I think this week is best look at as - it is what it is.

Lets get going on next weeks thread instead - I want to see Claire comforting Marten who will still be feeling bad for Faye.
Emily is the Avatar.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #1008 on: 31 Jan 2015, 14:26 »

I'm trying to get what you are getting at here? I mean, yeah, its not the most pleasant of conversations, but if I knew someone I was friends with was going into a potentially dangerous situation, and they had a roommate who was their best friend and I was friends with as well, I sure as hell would give them a call/text to give them a heads up on the situation and so they could perhaps intervene before it gets too bad.

And I'm not sure how learning about it a few hours earlier and potentially defusing a bad situation is ruining anyone's day more than what happened.

And its loads better than her checking on her herself. I'm still confused why anyone would think Dora should have visited Faye the same day she fired her.

And like I said, its nitpicky. Her not doing it doesn't make her a terrible person, its just what I would have done, and I think it could have helped. Though in the long run, maybe her being hospitalized is the moment she needs to realize how bad things have gotten.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #1009 on: 31 Jan 2015, 14:35 »

My view of it was more if Dora text or rang Marten, that could have lead to several more problems. While it all "worked out" in the end, if Dora told Marten that Faye was fired after being caught drinking, one could imagine Marten going home to talk to Faye, only for her to feel like he's attacking her and go out somewhere else, who knows what might have happened Faye.

Or if Dora told Marten they needed to talk, if he had gone to CoD straight after work, who knows how long it might have taken him to get home, rather than him going home right after work and finding Faye passed out in her own vomit.

It's all supposition at this stage and trying to figure who was wrong for what after the event is basically trying to close the barn door after the horse has bolted.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #1010 on: 31 Jan 2015, 17:46 »

I'm wondering if there is an opportunity here for Dora and Sven to come together. He IS her big brother, and I imagine that Dora is going to have a hard time talking to most of the other QC characters at the moment. I don't know if he even realizes that she has decided to cut him out of her life. Maybe it's just because I'm very close to my siblings, but I would want to step in and reassure my sister that she did the right thing, it's not her fault, etc. I think his stepping up and being there for Dora, at this moment, would be a big character growth moment for both of them-- although, it would depend on Dora's reaction, as well.

I would love that. It'd be so awesome for Dora to not succeed in pushing someone away, and it'd be great for Sven to be there for someone even when it's difficult for him

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #1011 on: 31 Jan 2015, 19:39 »

I would love that. It'd be so awesome for Dora to not succeed in pushing someone away, and it'd be great for Sven to be there for someone even when it's difficult for him

As an added benefit, it could also result in Sven being a bit less self-absorbed around Faye.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

GhostlyJorg

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #1012 on: 31 Jan 2015, 19:54 »

I just registered to note, what I haven't seen discussed in this thread (or maybe I missed it).

Fayed *has* in fact been drinking at work before.
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=642

The current bout is just the latest, - where she happened to get caught.

emilygrrl

• Plantmonster
« Reply #1013 on: 31 Jan 2015, 20:51 »

Honestly, the only real issue I've had with Dora about this was not texting/calling Marten to give him a heads up that something was wrong. She didn't need to go into details, just that Marten probably needed to check in on her.

Do we know she didn't?

As I interpret it, Faye snuck into the broom closet where she got caught by Dora pretty early in the day. It looked like they either hadn't opened it yet or there were no customers. Otherwise I don't think the fight would have occurred out in the CoD storefront. Faye presumably went home shortly after leaving (perhaps stopping at a liquor store along the way?), and started drinking more. Based on all that, I would guesstimate that she passed out no later than noon, and that's being generous.

When Marten got home to find Faye, she was pretty much pickled. The nurse said as much to Marten afterward. Which means Marten must have found Faye not too long after she passed out. If Marten hadn't found her until after the end of his shift (at the earliest around 4), Faye probably would have been dead by then. Thus, something had to prompt Marten to go home early from his shift — Dora calling him at the library, probably.
Quote from: Faye, strip 1462
Aww, it's been FOREVER since I've had to punch you! What a delightful wave of nostalgia!

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #1014 on: 31 Jan 2015, 22:07 »

I'm certainly thinking of way way way in the future, but at some point Faye is going to have to start looking for a new job. Do you think she could get one at the Secret Bakery? It'd drag a few more characters we don't see much of back into the strip. I wouldn't mind seeing Elliot again.

But I don't think Faye is going to be in a position to go job hunting for a long time in real and comic.  We're probably going to get several months Faye doing some soul searching and the cast reacting to the firing and hospital incidents for ages. I'm betting that in real time we are due for several months of strips in which Faye is in hospital.

I'd mentioned something to this effect in last week's thread (or maybe earlier in this week's -- I'm not going to trawl 20+ pages to find it), but A: I think you're right about it being a while in comic time before Faye's job hunting, during which time (if she gets serious about getting her act together and there's a rapprochement with Dora) she may end up back at CoD, and B: the more I think about it, the more I doubt Jeph will plunk her down at TSB, since those characters seem to have run their course/served their purpose. We haven't even seen Jim -- with whom Dora does business and is still on good terms -- or Sam in ages, and Jim might also think twice about hiring Faye or having her around his daughter, given the circumstances of her firing. Not that I'd mind seeing her there... I liked the characters, and having Elliot back for a bit would be cool.

One of the arguments that Faye and Angus were having later on were about how much she was drinking/how often she was drunk. We've seen her drinking a lot more since she found out about Angus' possible job in the city. She's always drunk a lot, but the idea that Angus might be leaving really got to her, starting a downward spiral. Once she actually broke up with him, it became a near vertical ice slope covered in grease right into getting fired and landing in the hospital.

I was trying to place one of their arguments in the timeline, and for some reason reading this reminded me when it was: one of their arguments over her drinking was part of what precipitated the Hannerpocalypse.

Do we know she didn't?

As I interpret it, Faye snuck into the broom closet where she got caught by Dora pretty early in the day. It looked like they either hadn't opened it yet or there were no customers. Otherwise I don't think the fight would have occurred out in the CoD storefront. Faye presumably went home shortly after leaving (perhaps stopping at a liquor store along the way?), and started drinking more. Based on all that, I would guesstimate that she passed out no later than noon, and that's being generous.

When Marten got home to find Faye, she was pretty much pickled. The nurse said as much to Marten afterward. Which means Marten must have found Faye not too long after she passed out. If Marten hadn't found her until after the end of his shift (at the earliest around 4), Faye probably would have been dead by then. Thus, something had to prompt Marten to go home early from his shift — Dora calling him at the library, probably.

The only reason I don't think it happened like that is that Marten would -- I'm guessing -- have given Claire a heads-up about cancelling for the night before heading back home. She also may not have gone head-first into the bottle right away... could've been a situation where the longer she sat at home and thought, the more depressed/angry she got and the more she drank. Maybe this gets cleared up next week... or not. We'll find out soon enough.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Schmorgluck

• Duck attack survivor
  • Radical feminist
« Reply #1015 on: 01 Feb 2015, 03:21 »

Faye wasn't drinking herself into a stupor, initially. She was keeping herself in a constant buzz. By that I mean more drunk than the word "tipsy" would convey*, but still kinda functional, or Dora would have caught her with certainty the previous day, instead of having to catch her red-handed.

* my grasp of the English terminology regarding levels of drunkenness is spotty.
“Oh yes, it hurts at times to be alone among the stars. But it hurts a lot more to be alone at a party. A lot more.” - George R. R. Martin

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #1016 on: 01 Feb 2015, 05:45 »

You win the "Four consecutive posts in a row!" award!  :-D :roll: :psyduck:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21]   Go Up