THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 09:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: How QC and webcomics generally relate to the real USA  (Read 28532 times)

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
Re: How QC and webcomics generally relate to the real USA
« Reply #200 on: 06 Feb 2015, 11:47 »

The place where I was born was and still is 100% AngloSaxon Protestant - My family was the only Catholics in the area and were "Jerrys".
Lucky for me, most likely, and my soon to appear siblings, the parental units did some moving around and we ended up in a village in Ontario.
One of the things I learned early on before even starting school was "Do Not Say you are German" "If asked Say your relatives are in Poland" which was true since they did move the borders and changed all the town names.

Going to school my social circle was very small yet  made friends with the only AfroCanadian [ Ivory Coast and was as extroverted as I was introverted} and did not have an IndoCanadian classmate till middle school.

The local demographics has taken a couple of major shifts and stripped a lot of gears since then.

Looking at the place now, the demographic is approximately Indo, wast Indian, arabic, african, East european, mediteranean and lastly WASP, south asian and nordic [ I mention that last since I know a family from Finland on my street]

Yeah, I went from being a hidden minority, to being an obvious minority.  :psyduck:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Isyrion

• Emoticontraindication
  • Burn baby Burn!
« Reply #201 on: 06 Feb 2015, 11:52 »

Where I live along the Rio Grande River (I plan to move very soon) its overwhelming latino, talking in upwards of 88% if you count mixed race.  I feel Jeph is right on for New England.  If he did a comic based on where I live I would expect the cast to be at least somewhat latino decent.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post or type faster next time.  Thank also for jumping onboard with the posting of the warning messages.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #202 on: 06 Feb 2015, 12:33 »

The cities are still majority black though.

Cities are majority black? In New England? Are we talking about the same New England? Because here are some numbers:

Hartford CT      38.7% African-American
Bridgeport CT      34.6% African-American
Boston MA      27.3% African-American
Springfield MA       22.3% African-American
Providence RI      16% African-American
Portland ME      7.1% African-American
Manchester NH      4.1% African-American
Burlington VT      3.5% African-American

In fact, I couldn't find a single municipality in all of New England with a majority black population.

Huh, I guess I didn't actually look, I only felt that way seeing as whenever I go to Hartford I'm only in the black part of town I guess. Maybe I've just been skewed to think that way because most the football teams I've played have been a majority black players... That's something for me to think about I guess.

I guess I should have said there are cities where white people are in the minority, because that is actually accurate.

My baaaaaddddd
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #203 on: 06 Feb 2015, 15:25 »

Ethnic diversity has seemed like an odd point to me since my time in the military.  See, when someone in the US talks about diversity, what they they actually mean is (usually) how brown someone is.  Regardless of ethnicity, though, people living in an area are going to deal with the same terrible traffic on that one major road, cheer for the same local sports teams, talk about the same local politician who got caught doing something embarrassing, and chat about the same unseasonal weather.  I worked with a group of people who were diverse in a different way.  We had people from all corners of the country (literally: an Airman from Anchorage, Alaska and another from El Paso, Texas), a guy who grew up on the US base in Germany, another from Guam, and these two guys who had, respectively, been a prison guard and a convict.  I enlisted just before Don't Ask Don't Tell was repealed, but we had a few people in the squadron who were pretty obviously gay, and none of us cared as long as they got their work done.  On the other hand, we also had the backwoods country boy who had never met a gay person before and was more than a little uncomfortable with the rampant homoerotic military humor.  There was ethnic diversity (though it seemed like most of the squadron was at least a little Irish), but it never seemed like a thing.  My wingman was never "that Irish/Mexican/Native American/Asian guy," he was "that dude from Seattle."  Really, my wingman was 1/4 Irish, 1/4 Mexican, 1/4 Chinese, and 1/4 Chahalis tribe.

I don't really know what my point is, thanks to sleep-deprivation madness, but I think it might be that diversity means different things depending on who uses the word. 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up