THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:04
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What awaits us this week? (Poll Closes Wednesday)

Whatever happened to Pintsize?
- 41 (37.6%)
Faye's story v.2.0.?
- 21 (19.3%)
Student, Girlfriend, Librarian or some combination of all three? Claire's Dilemma?
- 11 (10.1%)
How do you come back from firing your best friend?
- 20 (18.3%)
Something completely new (give your idea in a comment, plz)?
- 0 (0%)
"Marten, how would you feel about having three dads?"
- 16 (14.7%)

Total Members Voted: 99

Voting closed: 04 Feb 2015, 06:23

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2887-2891 (2-6 February 2015)  (Read 154172 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
WCDT 2887-2891 (2-6 February 2015)
« on: 01 Feb 2015, 06:19 »

So, a new week is upon us.

I've said this before but I'm more confident than ever that this week could see a time skip. There is not much else to deal with immediately except, perhaps, Marten taking Faye home, sitting her down and them having The Talk v.2.0.  However, given how Jeph has been turning off of lengthy dialogue exposition of late, he may not want to do it. After all, we know more-or-less what Faye's problems are and arguably there is little to be gained, in story-telling terms, by having her repeat them to Marten in a week's worth of strips. The only other available thread I can identify is what happened to Pintsize and there is no compelling reason to spend too much time on it unless you want to address Faye's relationship with Pintsize.

So, what could happen? Much like the last of last week's Alice Grove comics, I've been increasingly been getting the feeling of an end of a chapter. A phase in our characters' adventures has come to an end and I think it's plausible to pick these up some time later, perhaps a few weeks into Smif's autumn term. Possible features:
  • Claire the student is having to juggle her relationship with Marten with her MLS studies; this causes... stresses; on the flip side, she's enjoying being a centre of jealousy for being the one who seduced that nice Mr Reed in the library;
  • Faye has decided that CoD is the past as well as being symptomatic of her personal stagnation and unwillingness to grow as a person; she's trying to move on being alternately helped and hindered by her well-meaning friends;
  • Tai's 'adventures' in trying to help Dora get over her deep and near-depressive guilt about driving Faye away; this may evolve into Dora confronting her wider issues with friendships and family;
  • May is fed up with a subsistence-level job; the AI Cloud instructs Momo to train her to be a Personal Companion AI on the grounds that, if Pintsize can do the job, anyone can do the job;
  • Something totally out-of-left field; maybe Hannelore has a secret that will be alluded to many times but we'll have to wait to find out what's up in her life; or maybe there can be a "Wham!" declaration from a character to another (e.g.: "Dale... I'm... I'm pregnant!").
I'd really like to hear what everyone else thinks.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
Re: WCDT 2887-2891 (2-6 February 2015)
« Reply #1 on: 01 Feb 2015, 06:28 »

I think I recall reading that Jeph stated, once upon a time, that there will never be a pregnancy arc.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #2 on: 01 Feb 2015, 07:23 »

Voted for three dads 'cause hell yeah, three dads.

That said, the freeway is wide open.  There are quite a few plot lines in varying stages of development, and with Faye out of immediate danger, Monday could see any one of them taking the camera.

I still like the time skip idea; it avoids discussion of things that Jeph has indicated he will not discuss, and it's a hell of a lot easier to retcon something you've never actually said in the first place.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #3 on: 01 Feb 2015, 07:30 »

I think I recall reading that Jeph stated, once upon a time, that there will never be a pregnancy arc.
No pregnancy arc doesn't necessarily mean no pregnant characters. Someone could be pregnant and have a kid without it being a main focus. Benergy makes an interesting point about the "end of a chapter", but has this whole run so far been simply the first chapter? If there have been splits before, where did they occur? That one time jump a while back is the only one I can think of, although I guess The Talk and The Breakup could count as chapter breaks too.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #4 on: 01 Feb 2015, 07:32 »

I'm kinda mixed on the idea of May becoming Faye's companion AI. In some ways I think it would work. May wouldn't have the patience to put up with Faye's avoidance crap and could go toe to to with her in a verbal sparring match. Maybe even physical depending on her chassis. And I think Faye will need someone to give her a hard slap to stay focused once in a while. Part of the problem she has has been surrounding herself with people who mostly let her get away with just sliding through with a joke or intimidation. May wouldn't have any part of that.

On the other hand.. could you imagine the chaos those two could get into when they sync up in ideas? They have very similar personality types. That tends to either repulse each other or sync up and feed into each other. And the two of them working together could be hard on people around them. The force of their scorn magnified could shatter worlds. Or maybe they'll start their own business together with a little help from Veronica. Start a welding a verbal abuse shop. It's already known that people are willing to go some place and pay to be yelled at by Faye... Just cut out the middle man of a coffee shop.

In the short term it could deal with the issue of where to get money to cover rent until Faye gets back on her feet. May staying with Dale was short term anyway... She could move in with Faye, Marten and Pintsize and help with the rent since she has a job. But poor Marten, having to live with the three of them. 

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #5 on: 01 Feb 2015, 08:00 »

Man, I love May. POOR IMPULSE CONTROL, THAT'S WHY!! Faye doesn't have the best impulse control either, so that would either crash and burn horribly or be the funniest arc so far. Can't decide.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #6 on: 01 Feb 2015, 08:12 »

Actually, May has excellent impulse control (setting up a quarter-cent diversion for a bunch of transactions would take a lot of patience vs. Simply writing herself a new bank balance); what she doesn't have is the correct list of impulses that should be controlled.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #7 on: 01 Feb 2015, 08:45 »

Yes, probably. I was just citing her reasoning of why she's not that good at being a virtual companion to Dale ;)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #8 on: 01 Feb 2015, 08:46 »

Wait, did it specifically say she Office Spaced her way to all that money? I assumed she just hacked an account and took it.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #9 on: 01 Feb 2015, 08:49 »

It was supposed to take longer so they wouldn't notice, but she always misses mundane details...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

TheEvilDog

« Reply #10 on: 01 Feb 2015, 09:33 »

Wait, did it specifically say she Office Spaced her way to all that money? I assumed she just hacked an account and took it.

I think it was more of a case that May was skimming the money from various accounts; where it could be anything from a couple of cent that people won't miss to tacking on larger amounts to budgets. You'd be amazed how often people don't really check what the "Miscellaneous" actually constitutes on a budget.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #11 on: 01 Feb 2015, 09:40 »

This week on a solemn QC we attend Pintsize's funeral.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #12 on: 01 Feb 2015, 09:43 »

"In compliance with Pintsize's will, we have covered every surface in Northampton with macro shots of human anuses."
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #13 on: 01 Feb 2015, 10:23 »

The idea of a potential time skip has been brought up over and over again the last few months, and I don't understand why. I really don't see any evidence that it's going to happen. And I don't get why so many people seem to want it to happen.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #14 on: 01 Feb 2015, 10:43 »

And I don't get why so many people seem to want it to happen.

Because Jeph has stretched a week out to about three or four months and we want several character threads to move on to a later point that, realistically, will take several weeks, in-comics time at the very least to emerge. It's kind of frustrating, waiting for something that we suspect will happen but, at the current rate of progress, will take about a year before we see it.

Don't get me wrong; I've enjoyed this week. However, the time has come to move on to next week or even further down the line.

FWIW, my previous prediction of a time skip came from the fact that I couldn't imagine Faye going from 'drinking to forget' to 'drinking yourself into a coma' within a week, in-comic.
~~~~

Boomslang

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #15 on: 01 Feb 2015, 10:56 »

RE: May and Faye

May wants to be a fighter jet.

Not only is Faye probably capable of building a (fairly primitive) fighter jet if someone else can do the engineering work, it would seem like a kick ass project. And, to step back a bit, maybe actually directly helping someone else succeed would do Faye some good with her own issues.
Having to fight an adult deinonychus with a sharp rock is extremely scary. Granted, I only know this from dreams, but it makes complete sense.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #16 on: 01 Feb 2015, 11:08 »

MAY: "That's a rather small fighter jet."
FAYE: "It's a prototype. Until you prove you won't kill every last one of us with your mounted guns, you'll be on the small thing. Plus, I like having you around"
MAY: "Psh, whatever twinkle-tits."
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 01 Feb 2015, 11:38 »

The beginning of QCs version of The Odd Couple.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Mr. Black Licorice

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ... and a bottle of rum.
« Reply #18 on: 01 Feb 2015, 11:42 »

My vote: "How do you come back from firing your best friend?"

At least, I think that is going to be the major theme for the next two, three weeks. Interspersed with Faye coming to grips with her alcoholism...  My money is on  Dora and Faye beginning reconciliation before the end of February IRL. Also, possibly the blossoming of Claire's and Martin's sexual relationship... depending on how ambitious Jeph is feeling.

Not so sure about the May-Faye thing... seems more like something the forum wants than what Jeph is actually leaning towards.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #19 on: 01 Feb 2015, 11:46 »

Of course the forum wants May and Faye to be together. It's bound to be hilarious.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

downtowneddie

• Emoticontraindication
  • And now, The Toad Elevating Moment
« Reply #20 on: 01 Feb 2015, 12:15 »

I think we'll stick with the Faye story arc for a bit. Here's why: Last week, Jeph tweeted, "[This story is] coming from a personal place, yes, but I finally have the distance necessary to write about it." There is something emotionally cathartic about writing about things that have happened in the past and this might be Jeph's way to achieve peace (for lack of a better word, sorry) with what happened to him a couple years ago.

(If this has been brought up in previous WCDTs, sorry; with the flurry of new posts, it's been difficult to track what has been opined!)

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #21 on: 01 Feb 2015, 13:11 »

The beginning of QCs version of The Odd Couple.

I still think that should be Claire and Tai, who despite conflicting personalities decide to share a apartment for no reason which leads to a spin off web sitcomic.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #22 on: 01 Feb 2015, 14:17 »

I think it was more of a case that May was skimming the money from various accounts; where it could be anything from a couple of cent that people won't miss to tacking on larger amounts to budgets. You'd be amazed how often people don't really check what the "Miscellaneous" actually constitutes on a budget.

A lot depends on where May was working.  If she was employed by the Department of Defense, one of the intelligence agencies, or a military contractor there would be a lot of potential for her to play games with finances.  On the other hand if she was working for any of those employers you'd think her time in jail would have been a lot longer, and her release conditions a lot harsher.

Of course there's the off chance May isn't telling the truth, and her crime was something more mundane.  Or her supposed backstory is totally made up and she's there for some other purpose.  Perhaps she actually is there to be a bodyguard to Hannelore.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #23 on: 01 Feb 2015, 17:11 »

I think we'll stick with the Faye story arc for a bit. Here's why: Last week, Jeph tweeted, "[This story is] coming from a personal place, yes, but I finally have the distance necessary to write about it." There is something emotionally cathartic about writing about things that have happened in the past and this might be Jeph's way to achieve peace (for lack of a better word, sorry) with what happened to him a couple years ago.

(If this has been brought up in previous WCDTs, sorry; with the flurry of new posts, it's been difficult to track what has been opined!)
This is why I'm not feeling the "timeskip" idea yet. There's still more to deal with in Faye's state of mind. More to work out. We just don't see all of it yet.
Mistakes, ahoy!

eschaton

• Furry furrier
« Reply #24 on: 01 Feb 2015, 19:16 »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #25 on: 01 Feb 2015, 19:21 »

So Faye's cooperating with getting rid of alcohol, and
(click to show/hide)
The former is definitely good, the latter is...maybe? What's she going to do next?

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #26 on: 01 Feb 2015, 19:25 »

Beats me. The anti-Pintsize traps kind of make me wonder how he's holding up. (Has he been lying around powered down the entire time?) Good that she's recognizing she needs to clean up the booze, not everyone makes that step.

(click to show/hide)
Mistakes, ahoy!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #27 on: 01 Feb 2015, 19:25 »

Okay, real comic is up.

1. Makes sense to stay with Hanners so Marten can de-alky the apartment.
2. Heh, Pintsize-proof underwear drawer.

As for the "early" comic:
(click to show/hide)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #28 on: 01 Feb 2015, 19:41 »

Poor Hannelore. She's getting hurt by problems she did not contribute to.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Wharrrrrrgarbl

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #29 on: 01 Feb 2015, 19:47 »

Looks like Faye lied to her doctors about what's going on, because if she responded truthfully to a basic history regarding alcohol use, she would be getting admitted a psych ward.

wlewisiii

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #30 on: 01 Feb 2015, 19:54 »

Looks like Faye lied to her doctors about what's going on, because if she responded truthfully to a basic history regarding alcohol use, she would be getting admitted a psych ward.

The rule of story wins in comics when it's Comics vs Reality.
Emily is the Avatar.

ybtlamw

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #31 on: 01 Feb 2015, 20:19 »

It's nice to see Faye's realized she's got to get all the booze out of the apartment. I'm not going to lie, though... I've got a feeling she's not out of the clear yet. I can see her having one more setback before she finally gets real help. But, of course, that's just me. Who knows?

As for Jeph posting tomorrow's comic already: Has he done that before? It seems a little odd to me.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #32 on: 01 Feb 2015, 20:23 »

He doesn't always have a buffer, but this time he did and simply uploaded the wrong one first.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #33 on: 01 Feb 2015, 20:28 »

Very skeptical that this is any sort of standard procedure. Hospital risks getting sued to kingdom come by involuntarily putting a patient in a psyche ward, based on a verbal history.

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #34 on: 01 Feb 2015, 20:28 »

It's really great that she seems to be gung-ho about cleaning herself up.  Hanners is being a champ about all this too, giving her anxiety issues, she's really showing some strength.  I hope that Faye gives herself enough time to just recover from this incident before she starts planning major life changes. 
-It's tradition!
-Tradition is the illusion of permanence.

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #35 on: 01 Feb 2015, 20:31 »

Nope, that is not the way that works, at all.  Believe me, I've been the accompanying party at the ER before, usually they just get a talking to followed by a referral before they're discharged
-It's tradition!

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #36 on: 01 Feb 2015, 20:32 »

Warning - while you were reading 7 new replies have been posted. You may wish to forget everything you ever knew and submit to reprogramming.

Dadgummit! I didn't even get my first sentence out!
Please, sir, may I have some more?

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #37 on: 01 Feb 2015, 20:37 »

I really wonder if we're going to get something totally different, such as Dale admitting his deep dark secret past or Jimbo taking up with Emily.  There needs to be some serious yet amusing break to this story, such as Steve's spyhard sequence.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

Mr. Black Licorice

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ... and a bottle of rum.
« Reply #38 on: 01 Feb 2015, 20:38 »

... Poor pintsize... deprived of the panty raid!

(click to show/hide)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #39 on: 01 Feb 2015, 20:43 »

Nope, that is not the way that works, at all.  Believe me, I've been the accompanying party at the ER before, usually they just get a talking to followed by a referral before they're discharged
Depends on whether or not the docs think there are suicidal intentions, at least in my state.  The second and third times I was committed, there were other patients who were detoxing, and it wasn't pretty, even though they were given every drug that could possibly make it easier on them. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #40 on: 01 Feb 2015, 20:48 »

Here in California, if it's a first time visit to the ER for too much alcohol consumption doctors don't seem to concerned.  I went a long a couple times in college with friends who were in bad shape after too much booze, both times the doctors just gave a super quick "don't do it again" and left it at that.  I imagine though that if it had been a repeat occurrence they might do pysch referral.  As far as being committed though doctors here I think would be way too afraid of lawsuits to try that unless there was pretty concrete evidence.
-It's tradition!

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #41 on: 01 Feb 2015, 20:56 »

I live in California as well, and it really depends on circumstances.  I did spend an evening with a co-worker on her 21st birthday, and after she disappeared, I found out the next day that she needed 2 litres of fluid in the ER that night, and the bartender was surprised that I was vertical the next night, not to mention having worked an 8 hour shift, but then again, I was the more experienced drunk.  If she gave the same psych history that I gave the last couple of times I was in the ER, I have no doubt that that she would have seen the inside of the proverbial padded room.

Edit:  Sad Hanners these past few strips kinda hurts.
« Last Edit: 01 Feb 2015, 21:52 by hedgie »
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #42 on: 01 Feb 2015, 22:17 »

Edit:  Sad Hanners these past few strips kinda hurts.

Agreed.
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #43 on: 01 Feb 2015, 22:47 »

I think if getting stuck into a psych ward is one of the usual outcomes when visiting the ER after alcohol abuse, a lot of people would be afraid to seek help.

I would have thought she emptied her entire supply of booze by now.

Dark Matter

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #44 on: 01 Feb 2015, 22:59 »

Now that it seems like Faye is on the right track, at least for now, I'm curious to see how the rest of the cast is going to react to this whole series of events.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #45 on: 01 Feb 2015, 23:20 »

Her medical history includes a possible suicide attempt and hospitalization for it. It might not have been a good story to have her hauled off, but it would have been a plausible one.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #46 on: 01 Feb 2015, 23:35 »

I think that we get an insight here about what it is like for a woman to live with Pintsize. Booby-trapped underwear drawers? Laundry day must be like a warzone!

At least Faye is cooperating with Marten on drying out. If anything, she looks a bit embarrassed that things came to this! Of course, organisations like AA wouldn't even exist if it was as easy as that, so this is a first step on a long path.

Finally: it might be me, but Faye seems to be struggling slightly to remember the disarm sequence. I wonder how many times she has been caught by her own booby-trap?

[edit]
Fix'd typos
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2015, 01:09 by BenRG »
~~~~

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #47 on: 02 Feb 2015, 00:25 »

It doesn't look to me that she's forgotten. If there was hesitation (...) or a verbal stumble (uh or hm), then I might believe it. Otherwise, it looks more like... not resignation, exactly, but I can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just tiredness.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #48 on: 02 Feb 2015, 00:37 »

It's nice to see Faye's realized she's got to get all the booze out of the apartment. I'm not going to lie, though... I've got a feeling she's not out of the clear yet. I can see her having one more setback before she finally gets real help. But, of course, that's just me. Who knows?
As I have said before, I do not think this is sufficient. Faye needs a change of scenery as well, or else it will be too tempting to visit the nearest booze shop whenever she gets the urge (unless Marten and Hanners also confiscate her money and credit cards). A vacation with her friends, far away from bars and city life, might do her good.
Finally: it might be me, but Faye seems to be struggling slightly to remember the disarm sequence. I wonder how many times she has beencaught by hher own booby-trap?
I do not think she struggles to remember, but she might be a bit embarrassed letting Marten access her underwear drawer. As for the booby-trap, it obviously is not lethal (or Pintsize would be dead by now), but I would guess it involves copious use of duct tape. With Faye's proven engineering skills, I guess it is very advanced.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #49 on: 02 Feb 2015, 00:53 »

Very skeptical that this is any sort of standard procedure. Hospital risks getting sued to kingdom come by involuntarily putting a patient in a psyche ward, based on a verbal history.
Mmm... Yes. On a first admission for drinking way too much, I'd say it was unlikely too, even in much less litigious Australia. For one thing, there are limited places for psych observation/treatment, and cases have to be triaged against ones where there is immediate risk of the patient harming themselves or others.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 22   Go Up