THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 15:39
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be the future of the Like button?

Remove it
Leave it on Comic Discussion
Add it to Fun Stuff
Add it to Serious Stuff

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Like button for forum?  (Read 13034 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Like button for forum?
« Reply #50 on: 04 Feb 2015, 15:42 »

I'm enabling the button for people to see if they like it - only in the Comic forum for now.

I've made a poll for your views at the top of this thread.

The button is meant to be a dark gray matching the default theme - if you see black, that's a caching issue in the server, and should correct itself sometime.

The button does not show in the "Old" QC theme; I will try to correct that tomorrow.

You can see who the likes are from by clicking the count; you can't like your own post.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #51 on: 04 Feb 2015, 15:53 »

I think I may have just accidentally liked a post because it looked like a spoiler tag.  :psyduck:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #52 on: 04 Feb 2015, 15:54 »

Hmm, it does, doesn't it!  I'll try a different design tomorrow (I'm going to bed now, though).

You can unlike it again, of course!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #53 on: 04 Feb 2015, 16:01 »

It's better if you put it over to the right. But that's just more aesthetically pleasing (and maybe less confusing).

I'm also pretty excited I spelled aesthetically right on my first try.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #54 on: 04 Feb 2015, 16:03 »

It's better if you put it over to the right. But that's just more aesthetically pleasing (and maybe less confusing).

I'm also pretty excited I spelled aesthetically right on my first try.

Yep, the forum I visit has it up by the Quote button, and is simply a little thumbs up. But I'll take what I can get!

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #55 on: 04 Feb 2015, 16:04 »

I think I may have just accidentally liked a post because it looked like a spoiler tag.  :psyduck:
I did it, but it was on a post that I actually liked, so...

A couple comments on the current implementation... how do post edits affect likes? I may like an earlier version of a post, but not the current version, for instance.

And, also, should it be anonymous who liked a post, or not?

And now, to go off and like an older post that I've had reasons not to reply to (beyond cluttering the thread in question), but I definitely thought it was an excellent, insightful post.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #56 on: 04 Feb 2015, 16:16 »

Now to get the obvious pun out of the way...

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #57 on: 04 Feb 2015, 16:21 »

I don't want Jeph to beat me with a sign.

Anyways, have you noticed that a lot of what we're talking about is currently taking place in this thread? A lot of people replying in agreement? I don't know if that shifts the bar towards or away from likes, but it's certainly happening.

I would like this post, but I have to refuse on principle. Too late to break character.

I believe the world we experiences influences us more than we influence it. We have a whole science devoted to studying it. It's called "consumer marketing." If a person chooses to use a like button, their choice is inescapably influenced by the existence of said button. Indeed, this entire comment only exists because the button exists. Otherwise, it would be little more than a repeat of a and existing comment. But the button existing creates a new context, allowing different, but supporting meaning. Indeed, indeed! the previous statement is only exists because I had a choice and refused it. So too that statement, and this one. There's no logical reason to think the effect doesn't run both ways.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #58 on: 04 Feb 2015, 17:41 »

I voted "Meh" because I'm not a fan of how the button looks on the theme I'm on (which I've forgotten). It's a black box down at the bottom of the post, which kinda distracts from the post.

EDIT: QC-light. I forgot that I'm one of those weird ones.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

downtowneddie

• Emoticontraindication
  • And now, The Toad Elevating Moment
« Reply #59 on: 04 Feb 2015, 18:57 »

I think the "Like" button is working well. Nicely done!

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #60 on: 04 Feb 2015, 21:59 »

Me too! I like QC light. The appearance of the button isn't enough to make me like it any less though. :-)
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #61 on: 05 Feb 2015, 17:02 »

I feel I should go on record as saying I fucking hate this idea and wish it were never implemented :grumpypuss:
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #62 on: 05 Feb 2015, 17:08 »

I think the button's UI implementation is rather jarring, and I personally think anonymous likes might be better (although the moderators should absolutely be able to see who liked a post).

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #63 on: 05 Feb 2015, 17:41 »

Likes are a wonderful idea.  Friends will start liking all of each other's posts, cliques will be obvious, new people _will_ know who it it not permissible to disagree with and exactly how many people will dogpile on them for expressing a contrary view.

PLus a like button is all like social and stuff! Everyone loves facebook right? Making something more social networkish will uh, popular with the kids and... Nope I've got nothing.

But I'll press the like button like a good little monkey since that is The Way Things Are now.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

MooskiNet

• FIGHT YOU
  • Better than yesterday.
    • Middleways.net
« Reply #64 on: 05 Feb 2015, 17:52 »

I'd argue a forum becoming an insular campground for the 'old guard' is just as likely with or without 'likes,' though I agree there's a tendency to cliquishness when who's liking who is obvious.

Like any other online community, the key's moderation.  That's covered well, in my opinion, and if they think the like button is causing more problems than it solves, they'll probably make it go away.
Middleways: webcomic / graphic novel / obsession

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
« Reply #65 on: 05 Feb 2015, 17:58 »

I like this. I think many people will enjoy knowing that someone liked something they posted and it will lower the threshold for expressing appreciation. Both getting and showing appreciation are things that make many people feel a tiny little bit better, which I feel is a good thing.

Some of the other forums I frequent have similar features and I haven't seen any problems with them on those forums along the lines of Vgrrl's dystopian scenario. On the contrary, I've seen positive things, esp. on those forums where it's been implemented as a "thanks" button. I've made peace with my childhood experiences and so there is currently nothing that tarnishes this idea for me atm. I also like the appearance of the button as well as the animation. So, all in all, I give this a thumbs up and if we get a thumbs up emoticon I'd give two thumbs up. cheers
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #66 on: 05 Feb 2015, 18:12 »

I'd argue a forum becoming an insular campground for the 'old guard' is just as likely with or without 'likes,' though I agree there's a tendency to cliquishness when who's liking who is obvious.

Like any other online community, the key's moderation.  That's covered well, in my opinion, and if they think the like button is causing more problems than it solves, they'll probably make it go away.

Well, *good* moderation, and I think that this place has it (IMO), which is one of the reasons why I stick around.  It's funny, though, in how in the last 20+ years online, I've never been a mod, at my own insistence.  I tend (and was worse in the past) to have a short-fuse, and used to let the power go to my head.  Closest I ever came was when I nicked ops privileges on an IRC channel is when I kept them for just long enough to let the administrators get themselves a channel-protection bot (of course, for fun, I kick-banned them to show them what is possible, and then explained things).
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #67 on: 05 Feb 2015, 19:39 »

Likes are a wonderful idea.  Friends will start liking all of each other's posts, cliques will be obvious, new people _will_ know who it it not permissible to disagree with and exactly how many people will dogpile on them for expressing a contrary view.

PLus a like button is all like social and stuff! Everyone loves facebook right? Making something more social networkish will uh, popular with the kids and... Nope I've got nothing.

But I'll press the like button like a good little monkey since that is The Way Things Are now.
I don't even look at who's posting when I click the Like button, nor do I seek out specific people's posts. If I agree with a post, I agree with a post, regardless of who posted it.

I imagine that most people here -aren't- 5-year-olds, and aren't likely overly prone to behavior better suited to a gradeschool playground. I never fit into any cliques growing up, but I'm not going to let that color my perception of a forum function that, as has been exhaustively discussed in this thread, a shortcut to simply agreed with posts without cluttering up the treads with quotes followed by 'I agree'.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #68 on: 05 Feb 2015, 19:48 »

To those of you making dire predictions about the Forums future, why not just let this play out?

At worst, the mods will step in before the "like induced cliques ruin the forum", and those of us who "like" the "like" button idea will shut up.

At best the forum will be exactly the same, but with a like button.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #69 on: 05 Feb 2015, 19:49 »

Many groups form cliques.  Sometimes being excluded is actually better, in terms of one's mental health.  It is kinda strange, though, going from a total outsider to being considered as a member of one or two.  I think that it actually raises one's anxiety levels, officially be a member of one, but having half one's friends in another, and others were hurling accusations, and having to navigate between them to avoid hurting people, especially those who genuinely care about.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #70 on: 05 Feb 2015, 20:35 »

To those of you making dire predictions about the Forums future, why not just let this play out?

The like system will become sentient and somehow - Through wacky governmental incompetence - take over the world. It won't be all bad though, I hear the gruel they'll feed us only has a little bit of arsenic.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #71 on: 06 Feb 2015, 06:11 »

I think the formation of cliques based solely on the existence of a "like" button is a bit of a stretch. I think there are certainly people who fall into social groups but I find that is generally based on common ground, shared experiences and empathy- not "that person is cool". I also find the notion that it will suppress intelligent conversation in favor of conformity and peer pressure to be a smidge insulting and I think the forumites deserve to be given more credit. This has evolved into a safe space for intelligent and informed discourse, so long as the parties involved don't become belligerent. I don't see a small button changing any of that. I think any other means to show our forum family that we support them is a good idea.

If any button would allow members to dogpile on people for their ideas, I think it would be a "dislike" button and I'm definitely glad we don't have one of those.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #72 on: 06 Feb 2015, 11:37 »

I don't like the like button, and I ignore them as much as i can. If it weren't used like an 'I agree' button, but more like an 'oh, this post was thoughtful even though I might not agree with it', I'd probably like it more, but at the moment it's stuff like 'SQUEE CLAIRE DID THAT THING!'  :clairedoge: that gets 'liked', so it doesn't even serve as a good method of identifying the good posts out of a long thread. I also think that very few people just post 'I agree', but add their own thoughts - this makes a discussion way more interesting than just clicking 'I LIKE'

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #73 on: 06 Feb 2015, 12:49 »

I can agree with you to a degree on that point.

The like is a work in progress as far as I can tell.
    A first baby step to see how the forumites deal with the new button no matter how crude it may seem at the moment.

My personal feeling is that as long as this "new thing" doesn't cause a meltdown of the forum then we will soon see a better implementation once the right person has the will and time to put it together.

I would appreciate any changes to  the implementation, though the concept itself is a good one.

• Button menu on the right edge of the posts with the other buttons instead of inserted at the footer - right now it is awkward and uncomfortable, like a stainless steel Halls
    • icons that are recognizable at a glance - hover text could not hurt either but I am not sure if coding such is all that easy or simple to do - my code skills are of the op code variety
    • More than one category - like / appreciate / applause - agree - thoughtful / thought provoking - the pun jar [for the ones we appreciate - think of it as a tip jar - yes I am encouraging puns] - butts [why does it have to be butts - because drawing a cloaca that small would confuse people]

As already mentioned a few times and it does not hurt to repeat warnings based on experience - no negative options - if they dont have anything nice to say then dont give them the option to be mean in another way.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #74 on: 07 Feb 2015, 11:30 »

My main problem with the like button is that, on my theme at least (forum default), I keep thinking it's a spoiler button.  A couple times now I've clicked on it to read the spoiler only to find I just liked a post that I didn't mean to (not that there was anything wrong with the post necessarily).

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #75 on: 07 Feb 2015, 11:31 »

Could the display be optional?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #76 on: 07 Feb 2015, 11:33 »

I think an alternate visual arrangement is in the works. Not positive on that though.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #77 on: 07 Feb 2015, 17:52 »

On the other skins, it's a black box surrounded by black.

On another forum that I frequent*, it is included on a bar below each post, with a more traditional "thumbs up" (ala Facebook).

* - Hi, CeltZ, wherever you're lurking.
Just another Joe like 46

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #78 on: 07 Feb 2015, 18:08 »

I keep thinking it's a friggin' spoiler tag.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #79 on: 07 Feb 2015, 18:24 »

It looks absolutely nothing like a spoiler tag to me.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #80 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:42 »

It looks exactly like a spoiler tag, except for the part where it says "Like" instead of "Spoiler."

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #81 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:45 »

It's a completely different color for me. But then again I use QC Light (because how could I not?)

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #82 on: 07 Feb 2015, 19:50 »

I like that it doesn't, by default, list who liked a comment.  It makes it feel like a more general community Like rather than "these specific people agreed with you."  Sure, you can click the thing and see the names, but it doesn't list them automatically. 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #83 on: 07 Feb 2015, 23:55 »

I'm away and forgot my laptop charger, so attempting to improve the button has been delayed.  It's not forgotten.

rschill

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #84 on: 08 Feb 2015, 00:24 »

It looks exactly like a spoiler tag, except for the part where it says "Like" instead of "Spoiler."

Heh, It fooled me upthread, but that's OK I liked the post that I liked. 

I think a button such as this would be a good thing.   '

To present options without really endorsing them:  Perhaps the likes can be made visible only to the author of the liked post, or maybe the liking could be anonymous, or maybe both. 

People who are here more often would probably be better judgments on those ideas, but I felt I should bring them up because I like options.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #85 on: 08 Feb 2015, 08:04 »

It's a completely different color for me. But then again I use QC Light (because how could I not?)
QC Light: All the Flavor and Half the Calories of QC.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #86 on: 08 Feb 2015, 20:20 »

I don't really mind it anymore.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #87 on: 09 Feb 2015, 00:40 »

I have too many browser tabs open and the text in each is truncated to fit. The tab for this thread therefore reads "Like Butt".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #88 on: 09 Feb 2015, 05:25 »

I formally propose that the text on the "Like" button be changed to "Like Butt".  :evil:
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #89 on: 09 Feb 2015, 05:29 »

Hell, I thought it was good that I could actually read "Like" in the tab, on my Mac running Firefox with 50 px maximum tab width and about a 1600 px wide Firefox window. That means I'm running a lot less tabs than normal.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #90 on: 09 Feb 2015, 05:44 »

I noticed that the Like button is not available on Tapatalk.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #91 on: 09 Feb 2015, 06:35 »

Extensions to the standard forum software (which include even the spoiler tags) are in general not handled by Tapatalk, because it is effectively an alternate rendering engine that the extensions don't patch because they don't know about it.  In any case, having one extension patching another is an inherently unstable situation, requiring a canonical order for installation of otherwise unrelated patches, and making individual updates near impossible.

I've changed the colour of the border of the button to make it obviously different from the spoiler button (caching may delay the change in your browser).

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #92 on: 09 Feb 2015, 11:42 »

I created a separate thread for this... could it possibly be related to the changes for the like button?

https://forums.questionablecontent.net/index.php/topic,30463.0.html

(fwiw, I don't see the like button in firefox rn)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #93 on: 10 Feb 2015, 01:18 »

The Like button is now visible in all themes, and is less like the spoiler button.

The intermittent behaviour was because I uninstalled and reinstalled a couple of times, culminating in breaking the forum  :psyduck:

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #94 on: 10 Feb 2015, 06:19 »

Bravo, dear sir, bravo. :) ;)
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #95 on: 12 Mar 2015, 05:38 »

I've changed the poll here so that people can give a view on the future of the Like button.  If you would like it added to certain other forums, but not all, then please indicate which in a post.

Note that I have no intention of further changing its appearance or how it works.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #96 on: 12 Mar 2015, 05:44 »

Anything but discuss or relate would be fine with me. Though keeping it as it is, plus maybe adding it to certain threads (e.g. the spam thread(s)), would also be okay. I highly doubt adding it there would cause issues.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #97 on: 12 Mar 2015, 05:49 »

Can only be enabled by forum, not thread.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #98 on: 12 Mar 2015, 08:09 »

I think it could be good in Discuss, like in Comic people could like a post instead of posting, "I agree". I don't think it's needed in the more personal ones like Chatter and Relate but I'm not really against it either.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #99 on: 12 Mar 2015, 08:34 »

I think it could be good in Discuss, like in Comic people could like a post instead of posting, "I agree". I don't think it's needed in the more personal ones like Chatter and Relate but I'm not really against it either.

I'll post that I agree with this one rather than just "Like" it... wait.  :psyduck:
Just another Joe like 46
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up