Claireten pillow talk
- 38 (33.3%)
The Morning After the Night Before
- 20 (17.5%)
Faye's Long Dark Breakfast of the Soul
- 28 (24.6%)
What next for Dora?
- 15 (13.2%)
Robot Hijinx (possibly involving May or Pintsize)
- 7 (6.1%)
The Stevette Wedding! (Because we need a random option)
- 6 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Voting closed: 11 Feb 2015, 06:30

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: Strips 2892 to 2896 (9th - 13th February 2015)  (Read 113860 times)

Dark Matter

• Emoticontraindication
Re: WCDT: Strips 2892 to 2896 (9th - 13th February 2015)
« Reply #250 on: 10 Feb 2015, 10:05 »

I strongly suspect that Marten and Claire will come into the kitchen tomorrow morning to find Faye curled up at the base of the sink, crying hysterically because she's addicted to alcohol and she never knew it before. It will be news to Marten too, IMO. I don't think he's ever thought of her as an alcoholic, just as a heavy drinker who let it get away from her that one time.

Wasn't there a strip a while back (I can't remember the number) where Marten referred to Faye as an alcoholic off-hand and caused a bunch of drama (Faye getting all upset, Dora being mad at him etc.)? I guess I might be remembering wrong.

EDIT: It was way back in http://www.questionablecontent.net/980

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #251 on: 10 Feb 2015, 10:08 »

I strongly suspect that Marten and Claire will come into the kitchen tomorrow morning to find Faye curled up at the base of the sink, crying hysterically because she's addicted to alcohol and she never knew it before. It will be news to Marten too, IMO. I don't think he's ever thought of her as an alcoholic, just as a heavy drinker who let it get away from her that one time.

Wasn't there a strip a while back (I can't remember the number) where Marten referred to Faye as an alcoholic off-hand and caused a bunch of drama (Faye getting all upset, Dora being mad at him etc.)? I guess I might be remembering wrong.

There definitely was one with that happening.  I'm not well-versed in archive-fu but I do recall a strip where that happened.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #252 on: 10 Feb 2015, 10:15 »

It is a good start. A lot more similar small acts of self-discipline are necessary if Faye is to get rid of her addiction.

You never get rid of it. You just learn not to feed it. But addiction's a vampire. Even if you starve the bastard for years it's still alive and just waiting for you to open the crypt so it can get its teeth into your throat  and suck the life out of you again.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #253 on: 10 Feb 2015, 10:49 »

Leo's talk about being an alcoholic on the West Wing.

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am
« Reply #254 on: 10 Feb 2015, 11:35 »

Ah, forums back up. I thought the squeexplosion from Monday would have taken it out for good.
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #255 on: 10 Feb 2015, 11:38 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S8ynIDYyG4

That's what squeeing is to me :D
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Dark Matter

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #256 on: 10 Feb 2015, 12:04 »

Ah, forums back up. I thought the squeexplosion from Monday would have taken it out for good.

It wasn't a squeexplosion, it was a squeepocalypse. It destroyed the old universe, and now a new world has risen from the ashes. A world ruled by the squee.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #257 on: 10 Feb 2015, 12:07 »

Kneel before Squod.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Estron

• Emoticontraindication
  • Old-fart QC aficionado
« Reply #258 on: 10 Feb 2015, 12:37 »

I read it as if she wants to play into the "hot librarian" fantasy trope, not that she's unable to see her partner without the glasses. If the latter was true, she could just use contacts, after all.

I have to admit, I thought of Jeph's friend Dave Willis's "So -- mask or no mask?"

TheEvilDog

« Reply #259 on: 10 Feb 2015, 13:11 »

Kneel before Squod.

Shouldn't that be Squeel before Squod.

cesariojpn

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #260 on: 10 Feb 2015, 13:35 »

Talking about Who, we are.

But whats on second. 

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #261 on: 10 Feb 2015, 14:34 »

THIRD BASE!!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #262 on: 10 Feb 2015, 14:43 »

That aside, there is a teenage feel to this exchange that makes me think that Marten is new to emotional intimacy. Although he is sexually experienced, that was mostly physical with the added benefit of friendship.
New Relationship Energy can make anyone feel young again. Marten and Dora were totally head over heals when their relationship was new, and he's described the first months of his relationship with Vicky in glowing terms.
I'm always amazed at how quickly people edit the past to declare things like "Marten was never in love with Dora, see how he acts with Claire" (I think this was in another thread), while ignoring that they absolutely had similar chemistry near the beginning of them dating.

I think the new page layout Jeph uses contributes to this a bit.  While we got to see Marten and Dora being intimate with each other on various occasions, the old layout zoomed out a little, so we had some distance between us and the characters.  Now the new page style gives Jeph an opportunity to get super close with everyone, so a kiss between Marten and Claire looks a hell of a lot more intimate than any that occurred between Marten and Dora.  I doubt Monday's strip would have worked nearly as well if Jeph was still using the old vertical layout.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #263 on: 10 Feb 2015, 15:11 »

That gives me a bad taste in my mouth, the "let me weld or I'll go back to the bottle or Sven" part.

Yeah, I shouldn't have worded it that way.  I just meant that she's going need to find somewhere to channel her energy/frustration/hurt that isn't the bottle, and her art is one solution.  She's got a tough road ahead.

And I do hope she makes things up to Pintsize.  He hasn't been too concerned about the issue of AI civil rights, but I imagine this forced shutdown (if Faye did it to keep him from stopping her) might just make him reconsider his stance and maybe demand a chassis with more autonomy.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #264 on: 10 Feb 2015, 15:18 »

I have not seen a fairy tale romance such as Claire and Marten's in sometime. It gives me hope for love again. <3

Sadly Asuka (your avi, for those who don't know) can only dream of such a romance, whether with Kaji (some hope!) or Shinji.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #265 on: 10 Feb 2015, 15:23 »

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Faye and Sven reconcile, possibly date. I feel like they've each gone through a significant amount of character growth that they might be able to meet on more equal and respectful terms. I thought they worked well as platonic friends, and I don't think they would be a bad couple. But I think that arc would be a slow burn, as opposed to a sudden development.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #266 on: 10 Feb 2015, 15:26 »

Has Sven really gone through a lot of development though? The last time we saw him he was with Steve right? And he was being all very unself-aware? So he can admit that he loves Faye and doesn't want sexy times anymore, but what else?
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #267 on: 10 Feb 2015, 15:30 »

Well, he now has a good idea of whether he can be monogomous. And he knows that he does care for Faye, but he does still have a ways to go.

Idk, I just read Sven differently than most people seem to. I thought he was good for Faye, particularly from a friendship standpoint, but they also had good chemistry and got along until he shacked up with riversmith.

I mean, Faye isn't exactly that far along in term of character development herself.

emilygrrl

• Plantmonster
« Reply #268 on: 10 Feb 2015, 16:06 »

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Faye and Sven reconcile, possibly date. I feel like they've each gone through a significant amount of character growth that they might be able to meet on more equal and respectful terms. I thought they worked well as platonic friends, and I don't think they would be a bad couple. But I think that arc would be a slow burn, as opposed to a sudden development.

NO!!! Oh, no, no, no, no, no....

Maybe down the road. But Faye's newly sober, she really needs to be focused on that right now. Once she's got some good time on her, then Sven might be a possibility. Although Sven still has some growth to do first, too. Which, conveniently enough, he should have enough time for if Faye waits until she's been sober a while.
Quote from: Faye, strip 1462
Aww, it's been FOREVER since I've had to punch you! What a delightful wave of nostalgia!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #269 on: 10 Feb 2015, 16:15 »

To be honest, Sven is one of the most selfish character in the comic right now, even if he doesn't quite realise it. The guy really needs to level up his empathy and thinking about other people before he should enter into a relationship. (Even Dora has said that Sven probably loathes himself and the utter lack of depth to most of his relationships probably amounts to him having the emotional depth of a kiddie's pool).

Even a few months down the line, Faye and Sven could be nitro on a rocky road levels of bad. Right now Faye needs to get herself back on her feet and into a better place emotionally. And Sven needs to do some growing up.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #270 on: 10 Feb 2015, 16:15 »

Of course, by saying that, Sven will appear in the comic by week's end.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

TheEvilDog

« Reply #271 on: 10 Feb 2015, 16:20 »

Of course, by saying that, Sven will appear in the comic by week's end.
Oh yeah, definitely. After all, Faye and Dora don't have nearly enough hassle in their lives right now.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #272 on: 10 Feb 2015, 17:17 »

I have not seen a fairy tale romance such as Claire and Marten's in sometime. It gives me hope for love again. <3

Sadly Asuka (your avi, for those who don't know) can only dream of such a romance, whether with Kaji (some hope!) or Shinji.
Dude, Asuka/Rei.  Kaji would be good as well, but Shinji is just such an annoying whinging brat.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #273 on: 10 Feb 2015, 17:46 »

Meanwhile - well played, Faye. Doing it for you, not because anyone's looking. Maybe I'm an optimist, and there's plenty of scope for things to go badly pear-shaped... but a good start. Couldn't be a better one, in fact.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #274 on: 10 Feb 2015, 17:49 »

Dude, Asuka/Rei.  Kaji would be good as well, but Shinji is just such an annoying whinging brat.

Seems pretty unfair to single Shinji out. That whole series is about turning the screws on teenagers and then watching them break. Why is Asuka's violence and subsequent catatonia or Rei's dissociation from friends and social ties more praiseworthy than Shinji's honest and desperate cry for rescue? And isn't the fact that unlike the other two, Shinji had no military training (and is obviously totally unsuited to it) an extenuating circumstance?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #275 on: 10 Feb 2015, 17:52 »

As a guess, because he's not a cute girl, and his constant whining gets on the watcher's nerves since he's the one seen most often.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #276 on: 10 Feb 2015, 17:54 »

As a guess, because he's not a cute girl

AS FAR AS WE KNOW

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #277 on: 10 Feb 2015, 18:11 »

Seems pretty unfair to single Shinji out. That whole series is about turning the screws on teenagers and then watching them break. Why is Asuka's violence and subsequent catatonia or Rei's dissociation from friends and social ties more praiseworthy than Shinji's honest and desperate cry for rescue? And isn't the fact that unlike the other two, Shinji had no military training (and is obviously totally unsuited to it) an extenuating circumstance?

It's not just the kids.  The entire cast is fucked-up.  Misato makes Faye look like a teetotaler, Gendo is a complete arsehole, and Ritsuko has serious issues as well.  As much as the English language voice actress for Asuka grates on me, I just have always found Shinji annoying.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #278 on: 10 Feb 2015, 18:18 »

I just have always found Shinji annoying.

Yeah, I am challenging you to interrogate that first impression. Can you come up with a reason other than that the showrunners dared to make an effeminate boy the protagonist of an action show?

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #279 on: 10 Feb 2015, 18:20 »

The more I read the comic the more I hear Faye's series of 'fucks' go in time with the sound of the 'glugs' from the pouring booze. 

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #280 on: 10 Feb 2015, 18:27 »

First time I read the comic I actually interpreted the "fuck"s as being the "glug" sounds. The whiskey was saying "fuck" as it got poured down the drain.

In my own defense, it was 3 AM and I couldn't sleep.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #281 on: 10 Feb 2015, 18:29 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S8ynIDYyG4
That's what squeeing is to me :D

I kid you not, that is exactly what the seatbelt buzzer in one of my cars sounds like (+or- an octave).
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #282 on: 10 Feb 2015, 18:31 »

To be honest, I've always had a bit of dislike of NGE, and its mostly because every character is messed up and hard to like. Even the ones the fans do like (I really find the creepy attraction to the obviously emotionally damaged doll-like Rei in the fandom really really disturbing).

I've come to like it more as I grew out of my teen years, because of the things it does do well (though I still think it has major flaws), and through it all... I think Shinji might be the character I ended up liking the most. His reactions are really really understandable, even if they are "whiny". He is literally put in a position where nothing stands between the destruction of everything other than himself, piloting a "robot" that literally causes him to go berserk, he has no training for it, there seems to be zero counseling for him, and he doesn't have a real choice. There is no choice in his actions. Its do it or everyone ever dies. And he is 14!

At least he is honest about his completely understandable depression.

weisbm

• Not quite a lurker
  • A furry old guy!
« Reply #283 on: 10 Feb 2015, 19:14 »

Faye,  I'd like to introduce you to an old friend......

Faye, this is Bill.
"It is better to have a handful of dried dates, and content with that, than to own the gate of peacocks and be kicked in the eye be a broody camel"

DillyDolly

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #284 on: 10 Feb 2015, 19:32 »

It is a good start. A lot more similar small acts of self-discipline are necessary if Faye is to get rid of her addiction.

You never get rid of it. You just learn not to feed it. But addiction's a vampire. Even if you starve the bastard for years it's still alive and just waiting for you to open the crypt so it can get its teeth into your throat  and suck the life out of you again.

Hmmm... Seems more like a chicken and egg thing. If fall into a deep depression or go through ridiculous stress you are more likely to over-indulge and if you don't pay attention you can become hooked, but if you keep check of yourself you can make sure to channel it properly. The question is how far has Faye gone? I'd like to think she's not completely in the territory of having to remain off alcohol her entire life as she seems very self aware—but she needs to stay away from it for a while and use much moderation when she drinks in the distant future.

Then again it really probably depends on the person and the type of addiction they have. Lots of factors come into play. Some people get instantly addicted to the smallest things to the point they can't have it in the house. Some people can part-take in extremely addictive things and be unphased. My husband used to socially smoke. He never got hooked. I teased him about it because I didn't believe he'd ever smoke and that it was even possible to smoke and not get hooked. So he bought some cigarettes, lit up, and then later casually tossed out the rest of the packet. It's all about knowing where your limits are and are not before you hit them.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #285 on: 10 Feb 2015, 20:20 »

Faye, this is Bill.

Help me out with this one?  Not getting the reference...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #286 on: 10 Feb 2015, 20:24 »

Faye, this is Bill.

Help me out with this one?  Not getting the reference...

Bill W.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #287 on: 10 Feb 2015, 20:30 »

Ah. 

Thanks! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #288 on: 10 Feb 2015, 20:54 »

Why should it bother her, she helped to push them together.  Quack, quack quack.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #289 on: 10 Feb 2015, 20:55 »

Comic.

I don't see how this is some big faux pas.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #290 on: 10 Feb 2015, 20:56 »

I don't get it either.  What did Marten do wrong?
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2015, 21:07 by Gladstone »

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #291 on: 10 Feb 2015, 21:09 »

This is wasted motion. Where is Dora?

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #292 on: 10 Feb 2015, 21:12 »

Comic.

I don't see how this is some big faux pas.
By agreeing that she 'had enough to worry about', he could be seen as essentially saying 'Ah, right, you've got enough issues to make up a few subscriptions'.

Not that he meant that, or that she thought he did. But it -is- Marten. Sometimes he really overthinks shit, or reads between the lines of his own words.

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #293 on: 10 Feb 2015, 21:12 »

He just made a death-glare worthy remark to a woman well known for punching him, sometimes for no reason.  Of course he's jumpy.
Please, sir, may I have some more?

ASB84

« Reply #294 on: 10 Feb 2015, 21:13 »

It's not a huge faux pas, but it's a bit of an awkward turn of phrase. It unintentionally implies "Yeah, you are pretty much messed up right now", or "Yeah, things really have gone to shit for you, haven't they?" It's not nasty or anything, but it probably sounded better/less callous in his head. And Marten being Marten, he's now horrified by it.

And we thought that his smoothness with Claire meant that he'd completely changed. There's our Marten!

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #295 on: 10 Feb 2015, 21:13 »

Ahhh, there's the Marten we know so well.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #296 on: 10 Feb 2015, 21:16 »

But it isn't death glare worthy, not the morning after a trip to the hospital.

For that matter it doesn't deserve a death glare ever to agree that just about anyone has worries beyond whether or not their roommate got laid last night.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #297 on: 10 Feb 2015, 21:21 »

Plus she just lost her job due to her drinking problem.  I dunno, agreeing that she has bigger problems than ship-noises on the other side of the wall seems like a perfectly innocent statement to me. But, shrug, I'll let it slide...this time.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #298 on: 10 Feb 2015, 21:23 »

It was just a bad turn of phrase, and while Marten realises it's not exactly a punch worthy statement, he knows he kinda put his foot in his mouth just a wee bit.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving
« Reply #299 on: 10 Feb 2015, 21:28 »

From my point of view (and judging by Faye's complete non-reaction, her own as well), Marten was showing empathy towards Faye. His response was... kind of positive. Acknowledging that she had a point without being condescending about it.

A more death-punch-worthy response would have been something like "Ain't that the truth!" Marten would have then been exploded all over the kitchen.

Oh, Marten. Your ability to find faux pas where they don't necessarily exist is masterly.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15   Go Up