Claireten pillow talk
- 38 (33.3%)
The Morning After the Night Before
- 20 (17.5%)
Faye's Long Dark Breakfast of the Soul
- 28 (24.6%)
What next for Dora?
- 15 (13.2%)
Robot Hijinx (possibly involving May or Pintsize)
- 7 (6.1%)
The Stevette Wedding! (Because we need a random option)
- 6 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Voting closed: 11 Feb 2015, 06:30

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: Strips 2892 to 2896 (9th - 13th February 2015)  (Read 113856 times)

Gladstone

• The Tickler
Re: WCDT: Strips 2892 to 2896 (9th - 13th February 2015)
« Reply #300 on: 10 Feb 2015, 21:30 »

This is wasted motion.

With your avatar, I expected you to say "Eliminate it."

Quote from: AprilArcus
Where is Dora?

Where is Pintsize?

Edit: And where is the booty-dance?!

« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2015, 21:40 by Gladstone »
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #301 on: 10 Feb 2015, 21:34 »

She has him well trained.  Even a hint of insensitivity, and he's cringing like a puppy before a rolled newspaper...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

ybtlamw

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #302 on: 10 Feb 2015, 21:42 »

At least she didn't storm out of their apartment and run off to find solace at Sven's like the last time he called her an alcoholic. Granted, the last time was a joke-in-poor-taste, and he didn't really call her an alcoholic outright this time, but the situations are similar. At least Faye's grown up since then. Well, kind of.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #303 on: 10 Feb 2015, 22:00 »

I don't get it either.  *shrug*

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #304 on: 10 Feb 2015, 22:29 »

Honestly, when Faye has gotten her alcoholism under control, she should work HARD on her violence. When your BEST FRIEND reacts like Marten does in today's strip, you have a real problem.
What do you know about Pokémon?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #305 on: 10 Feb 2015, 23:17 »

I have two reactions to today's comic.

Firstly, Marten needs to stop apologising before he's sure that he's done something wrong. Still, it's a sign of a good friend that he remembers how calling Faye an alcoholic affected her before and doesn't want to go there again.

Secondly, I think that Faye needed to get some coffee in her mouth to stop herself from laughing; it would send entirely the wrong message.

Finally... I'm assuming that Faye slept in. I can't think of any other way that Claire could have left unnoticed.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #306 on: 10 Feb 2015, 23:25 »

She's still there, in bed, waiting for round 7. :-D
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #307 on: 10 Feb 2015, 23:27 »

Finally... I'm assuming that Faye slept in. I can't think of any other way that Claire could have left unnoticed.

She could still be in his room or something.

Warning - while you were typing a new reply that was much funnier than yours has been posted. You may wish to review your post.

Fuck.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving
« Reply #308 on: 10 Feb 2015, 23:28 »

Honestly, when Faye has gotten her alcoholism under control, she should work HARD on her violence. When your BEST FRIEND reacts like Marten does in today's strip, you have a real problem.

It's been some time that her therapist has suggested that...
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #309 on: 10 Feb 2015, 23:28 »

Only seven:wink:
~~~~

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #310 on: 10 Feb 2015, 23:30 »

Only seven:wink:

My record is 8. After awhile it's not even fun, but you both just want to get that high score.

EDIT - In a day, not in a row, holy shit can you imagine?

USS Martenclaire

• Furry furrier
« Reply #311 on: 10 Feb 2015, 23:38 »

And normal Marten service has been resumed.

Dark Matter

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #312 on: 10 Feb 2015, 23:40 »

It's not very rational for Marten to think that this is a big faux pas considering how non-committal of a statement "I guess that's true" is. Having said that, it still seems realistic that he would react in this way. After all, this is Marten we're talking about. If there's one thing that he does more than putting his foot in his mouth, it's making things worse by overreacting to thinking that he's put his foot in his mouth (see also: Marigold + swimsuit).

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #313 on: 10 Feb 2015, 23:43 »

[glug, glug, glug]

Truec

• Furry furrier
« Reply #314 on: 11 Feb 2015, 00:02 »

I almost wish I drank coffee just so I could slurp it scornfully at people who annoy me.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #315 on: 11 Feb 2015, 00:04 »

I actually think she's done this, although it wasn't remarked on much overtly as Jeph slowly mutated it from "running gag" to "actually a borderline domestic abuse situation". She hasn't laid a hand on him since 1818, and before that like 411 I think?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #316 on: 11 Feb 2015, 00:17 »

Yes, the "Tom & Jerry" attitude to violence in QC has pretty much died, except perhaps for that aimed at Pintsize. Can you imaging Vespavenger, or the kung-fu monks, appearing nowadays?

And yes, over-reaction from Marten.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #317 on: 11 Feb 2015, 00:32 »

PANEL ONE: Tai working at the front desk of the library.
PANEL TWO: Tai looks up, toward the door.
PANEL THREE (full width): Marten and Claire simultaneously and wordlessly enter.
PANEL FOUR: [BOOTY DANCE]
PANEL FIVE: [BOOTY DANCE]
PANEL SIX: [BEAT]
PANEL SEVEN: Tai breaks into laughter.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #318 on: 11 Feb 2015, 00:55 »

PANEL THREE (full width): Marten and Claire simultaneously and wordlessly enter.
PANEL SEVEN: Tai breaks into laughter.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #319 on: 11 Feb 2015, 01:09 »

PANEL SEVEN: Tai breaks into laughter. throws copious amounts of confetti.
Fixed that for you  :-D

ASB84

« Reply #320 on: 11 Feb 2015, 01:10 »

I actually think she's done this, although it wasn't remarked on much overtly as Jeph slowly mutated it from "running gag" to "actually a borderline domestic abuse situation". She hasn't laid a hand on him since 1818, and before that like 411 I think?

It's been toned down in most respects, but the threat of violence is still there when she takes exception to something. I think she still looks to deal with situations using fear and intimidation (even if she rarely follows through with any violent acts these days), so it seems like there are still some issues to be sorted out.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #321 on: 11 Feb 2015, 01:14 »

She can do two things, Tai's a complicated woman. Also, is Claire joining in on booty dance? She doesn't seem like a booty dance type of person.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #322 on: 11 Feb 2015, 01:15 »

Loved today's comic. I approve of the wringing of comedy from the drama.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #323 on: 11 Feb 2015, 01:20 »

She can do two things, Tai's a complicated woman. Also, is Claire joining in on booty dance? She doesn't seem like a booty dance type of person.
Eh, it's a running gag. I'm having trouble coming up with instances where opportunities for a booty dance were missed, and it's been double dances more often than not.
Mistakes, ahoy!

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #324 on: 11 Feb 2015, 01:25 »

Does Claire seem like the type of person that would get mad if people learned from Marten (perhaps in booty dance form, eh?) that they had the sex? She does embarrassed pretty easily.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #325 on: 11 Feb 2015, 01:36 »

I don't think so. Claire would be embarrassed, for sure, but I don't think she'd be angry about it.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #326 on: 11 Feb 2015, 01:44 »

I think that we're starting a new medium-term arc at the moment - Faye's day after the night before. I'm expecting the next major sequence of strips to be Faye talking to Marten over breakfast about what has happened to her. Thinking about it, I'm fairly sure that Claire is still in Marten's bedroom, waiting for him to clear the minefield for her. I think that she and Pintsize will also be present during Faye's semi-monologue, both mostly to provide the bittersweet punchlines at the end of the strip.

After Marten and Claire leave for the library my feeling is that Hannelore will be around, at least in the morning, to help Faye out. I'm thinking of something like a semi-dark reprise of Marten and Claire's first date, with the two making wry observations about Faye's situation. This may include a visit to CoD and some kind of tentative contact with Dora.

When Hannelore has to start her shift at CoD, I'm still wondering if May may take over as Faye's minder. I really think that she has the right personality - unsympathetic, firm but, ultimately, fair that Faye would need. I'd love to have Marten to come home to find Faye and May rolling in laughter on the floor of the lounge because one or the other had said something that proved they have very, very similar sense of humour.

Naturally, there would also be the occasional one- or two-strip filler like Tai's response to Marten and Claire's new physical relationship and maybe Hannelore exchanging death-glares with Juicy when the woman ignorantly enters CoD.

A couple of things I'd like to see as the "Faye's Recovery" arc progresses:
  • May keeps on saying that 'Dr Elicott-Chatham' had arranged for her to help with Faye. Everyone is wondering why Hanners' dad would even know about this situation until it comes out that Hannelore has doctorates in pure mathematics and geometry (earned when still in her late teens); Hanners just shrugs it off as unimportant - At some point after that, Faye acquires a "Doc Hanners" tee-shirt for Hannelore to wear;
  • I'd love for Faye and Dora to have an afternoon together that starts from a mutual "I'm sorry" and progresses to a mutual brain-storming on where they'd gone wrong all their lives; at the end, Dora gives Faye Jim's 'phone number and  tells her to tell him: "Dora says 'Everyone needs a second chance.'";
  • I'd like for Dora and Sven to have an argument about whether Sven should try to approach Faye - Dora eventually convinces him to think about why he wants to do so and for whose benefit;
  • I'd like for Faye to have at least one close brush with a relapse, maybe after arguing with someone over something silly; it would be interesting to have May of all people to talk her down.
Ultimately, I'm really feeling that we're starting a new 'growing up' phase of the strip with the characters moving away from 'post-college slackers' towards a more adult approach to their lives and relationships.

It's been toned down in most respects, but the threat of violence is still there when she takes exception to something. I think she still looks to deal with situations using fear and intimidation (even if she rarely follows through with any violent acts these days), so it seems like there are still some issues to be sorted out.

Over on the Subreddit, there is a border ad that describes Questionable Content as a Webcomic Soap Opera. I think that this is a fair description - The strip is progressively following a set of characters' lives through primarily character-driven drama, comedy, romance and heartbreak. There is very little or any hint of a long-running meta-plot beyond 'these characters are moving through life and this is what has happened this time'.

Regarding Faye's violent tendencies, initially, QC was not ment to be even sightly realistic. It was comedy and it was occasionally slapstick comedy. However, with time, the characters have developed, become more three-dimensional and their extremely exaggerated primary characteristics have been toned down quite considerably. I argue that this was a conscious choice on Jeph's part, mostly motivated by his desire to more real-world-like characters (starting with the rightly-infamous Strip 500) rather than just a strip-by-strip series of jokes.

Does Claire seem like the type of person that would get mad if people learned from Marten (perhaps in booty dance form, eh?) that they had the sex? She does embarrassed pretty easily.

She would be embarrassed but, if it was found out by someone inferring it from her and/or Marten's behaviour, I doubt she'd get mad at anyone. She might get defensive until she realises that no-one is criticising her. Except Clinton, who doesn't matter.
~~~~

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #327 on: 11 Feb 2015, 02:16 »

I can almost hear the cofee say "go ahead, dig yourself deeper into your non-existant grave".

• I'd like for Faye to have at least one close brush with a relapse, maybe after arguing with someone over something silly; it would be interesting to have May of all people to talk her down.

The other points of the list are pretty good (although I feel that "Doc Hanners" is highly unlikely), but I think it's more possible for May to drink the stuff in front of her. "There, now you can't drink this fifth. And don't go buy another"
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #328 on: 11 Feb 2015, 02:29 »

Awww, Marten. Missing the taste of your own foot, were you? And there's Faye, not quite willing to admit she's enjoying your discomfiture and wondering how to use it to her advantage.

Now this is the QC I remember. Just ... a little more subtle.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2015, 02:36 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
  • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.
« Reply #329 on: 11 Feb 2015, 02:53 »

BenRG, I had to reread item #2 in your wishlist several times before it clicked that you meant Faye could get a job at the Secret Bakery. I thought you meant that Dora would want Faye to play go-between in getting Dora a second chance at romance with Jim, in which case Tai and Veronica would no doubt team up and destroy - absolutely fucking destroy - all involved parties.

Your proposal, of course, makes way way more sense. What can I say...it's early.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #330 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:07 »

Hah, nice. Faye's complete non-reaction sells it!

Also: Marten, going from super-smooth to inserting foot in mouth again. I can't figure out his character any more  :psyduck:

also, to the reconciliation-then-Jim-and-second-chances:
I hope Dora and Faye spend some time apart. Like, a few weeks or so. While they aren't in a relationship, their personalities clash with each other and not in a good way. Dora had several freak-outs over Faye's behaviour (sleeping with Sven, hugging Marten), and while Faye's rapier wit and treatment of customers are a major selling point of Coffee of Doom, she counts them as very negative qualities. Faye... well, Faye isn't an easy person to get along with, and while she mostly dealt with her negative feelings about Dora by drinking, it doesn't mean they aren't there. They need to find out what they like and miss about the other person, and maybe reconciliate when everything's blown over and then redefine what they mean to each other, now that they aren't boss/employee any more.

Wildroses

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #331 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:14 »

Alas, it appears Marten's almost supernatural ability to say the right things at the right time to his transgender girlfriend are coming at a terrible cost. He's having a lot of trouble picking the right thing to say to his best friend about her alcohol related dramas.

Mind you, he was having that trouble even before Claire appeared.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #332 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:19 »

Also: Marten, going from super-smooth to inserting foot in mouth again. I can't figure out his character any more  :psyduck:

There's no reason he can't have the both qualities at the same time! He's being very careful with what he says to Claire for the obvious reasons. Faye he's known for years and I don't think that his brain-to-mouth filter is very often engaged when he's around her.

Alternatively, consider this possibility: Maybe Marten isn't being super-smooth. He's just doing exactly what he did with Faye - saying the first thing that comes into his head. Let's just face the fact that Marten is crushing on Claire so badly that she's practically surrounded in bubbles and sparkles in his point of view! :wink:
~~~~

Nathanyel

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #333 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:22 »

Damn, misinterpreted the doorknobs of the cupboards as a sign of relapse...

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #334 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:23 »

There's no reason he can't have the both qualities at the same time! He's being very careful with what he says to Claire for the obvious reasons. Faye he's known for years and I don't think that his brain-to-mouth filter is very often engaged when he's around her.

Alternatively, consider this possibility: Maybe Marten isn't being super-smooth. He's just doing exactly what he did with Faye - saying the first thing that comes into his head. Let's just face the fact that Marten is crushing on Claire so badly that she's practically surrounded in bubbles and sparkles in his point of view! :wink:

Scary thought, BenRG - that would mean that once the infatuation ends, he'll be insulting Claire continuously!  :-P

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #335 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:38 »

Scary thought, BenRG - that would mean that once the infatuation ends, he'll be insulting Claire continuously!  :-P
Not continuously, I don't think. But there may very well be a time or two where he says something seriously hurting to Claire. Hopefully it's something that can be patched together again afterwards. Or Clinton will have to use the murder mode of his hand again.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #336 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:42 »

Not continuously, I don't think. But there may very well be a time or two where he says something seriously hurting to Claire. Hopefully it's something that can be patched together again afterwards. Or Clinton will have to use the murder mode of his hand again.

I wonder if Claire is mature enough to realise when a 'hurtful comment' is true?

In any case, given this is Marten, Claire has already got the full length and breadth of his 'filter off' mode. One example is when he got a mouthful of her hair during an attempted brotherly hug.
~~~~

TieDyeKat

• Larger than most fish
  • I like cheese
« Reply #337 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:50 »

Now wait a minute... Tai may be a party girl, but she's not full-blown
(click to show/hide)
Please, sir, may I have some more?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #338 on: 11 Feb 2015, 05:13 »

(click to show/hide)

Is that can(n)on?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #339 on: 11 Feb 2015, 05:14 »

Party cannon!

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #340 on: 11 Feb 2015, 05:21 »

(click to show/hide)

Tai may not be as wild or random as Our Lady of the Eternal Party but she loves for her friends to be happy and in loving relationships. With this in mind, I'm fairly sure that so much a hint comes to her that Marten and Claire are intimate, it will be hard to hold her back from planning a party and dragging Claire to the appropriate retail establishments to purchase suitable clothing and 'peripherals'.
~~~~

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #341 on: 11 Feb 2015, 05:23 »

If anything has the potential to embarrass her, it's that. Shit, maybe it should be an audienceless booty dance.

Which means it probably won't be and we can expect wacky hijinks.
Mistakes, ahoy!

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #342 on: 11 Feb 2015, 05:25 »

I really don't think Dora would refer Faye to secret bakery. Dora has been talking to Faye for years about how she should have more ambition and aspire to something besides a barista. Referring Faye to another coffee shop job just doesn't seem in character for Dora.

I also, personally, REALLY don't want  Faye to get another barista job. It would be more interesting to see her try something new. even if she fails, it will be much more interesting.

I'm hoping Faye works more on sculpting.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #343 on: 11 Feb 2015, 05:35 »

I could see how the hijinks could very quickly go from wacky to scarring, though. Tai's not good about boundaries (see Marten having to rather forcefully tell Tai to leave Hannelore alone), and Claire's got some serious boundaries, especially in the sexual department.

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #344 on: 11 Feb 2015, 05:42 »

I don't think Marten is super suave / foot-in-mouth clueless, it's that he's completely sincere and just says what he thinks before he thinks about whether he should say what he thinks. 

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #345 on: 11 Feb 2015, 06:44 »

True; and it's what he thinks of Claire as opposed to what he thinks of Faye's situation that's causing the discrepancy. 

Truec

• Furry furrier
« Reply #346 on: 11 Feb 2015, 12:03 »

I really don't think Dora would refer Faye to secret bakery. Dora has been talking to Faye for years about how she should have more ambition and aspire to something besides a barista. Referring Faye to another coffee shop job just doesn't seem in character for Dora.

I also, personally, REALLY don't want  Faye to get another barista job. It would be more interesting to see her try something new. even if she fails, it will be much more interesting.

I'm hoping Faye works more on sculpting.

The thing about art is that, unless you're independently wealthy, you need a day job to pay the bills while you make your art.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #347 on: 11 Feb 2015, 12:45 »

Yeah, but if she teams up with Raven, the possibilities are endless 
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #348 on: 11 Feb 2015, 12:46 »

And you can just have Hanners come thru for the first couple of months until she gets something sold.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #349 on: 11 Feb 2015, 13:18 »

If Beatrice decides to become a patron of the arts the conflict possibilities are endless.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 15   Go Up