Claireten pillow talk
- 38 (33.3%)
The Morning After the Night Before
- 20 (17.5%)
Faye's Long Dark Breakfast of the Soul
- 28 (24.6%)
What next for Dora?
- 15 (13.2%)
Robot Hijinx (possibly involving May or Pintsize)
- 7 (6.1%)
The Stevette Wedding! (Because we need a random option)
- 6 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 101

Voting closed: 11 Feb 2015, 06:30

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: Strips 2892 to 2896 (9th - 13th February 2015)  (Read 113955 times)

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
Re: WCDT: Strips 2892 to 2896 (9th - 13th February 2015)
« Reply #350 on: 11 Feb 2015, 13:40 »

I really don't think Dora would refer Faye to secret bakery. Dora has been talking to Faye for years about how she should have more ambition and aspire to something besides a barista. Referring Faye to another coffee shop job just doesn't seem in character for Dora.

I also, personally, REALLY don't want  Faye to get another barista job. It would be more interesting to see her try something new. even if she fails, it will be much more interesting.

I'm hoping Faye works more on sculpting.

The thing about art is that, unless you're independently wealthy, you need a day job to pay the bills while you make your art.

She's better off with the day job either way. She'd just be getting (re)started, and from what we've seen in-comic, her confidence in herself and her art is just about nil. So let's say she decides to do the sculpture full-time with no job and no patron (barring some kind of deus ex machina [no, I don't mean Pintsize]). No job = stress, under even the best circumstances. No job + rent + bills + recovery = insane pressure and a high possibility of relapse. Add to that the fact that you're much more likely to take on commissions you don't want, because you've got bills to pay. At some point, you end up resenting yourself and burning out on your art/craft.

Now let's look at the alternative: full-time job, with the art as a side gig/outlet. Money's coming in, so the rent and the bills are paid. Client's unreasonable, won't pay on time, is a creeper, or otherwise just isn't working for you? Screw 'em. They're not your only, or biggest, source of income, so you have more control in the transactional side of things. As an added bonus, you get the time and the chance to develop your style and find your voice in your craft, because you have the freedom to experiment and make mistakes without worrying about whether they'll cost you the roof over your head.

Best of all -- and I'm speaking at least somewhat from experience here -- each thing balances the other. Having a bad day at the office? You've got your other gig waiting for you at the end of it, and can blow off steam by working on something you love. Bad day with the art? A day at the office takes your mind off the block and lets you approach things with a clear head.

Finally, since Faye's trying (one assumes) to break old patterns and habits, the fact that a job and the art will take up a lot of her time will make her re-evaluate what's important. There's only so many hours in the day; you can waste them on TV, booze, and bullshit, or you can make the conscious choice to put those things to one side so you've got the time to do what matters to you and moves you forward. I think that'd be uncomfortable as hell for her at first -- it's hard to essentially step out on faith, and it's all part of the wrenching changes going on in her life -- but more comfortable, and more healthy, once she gets adjusted to it.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #351 on: 11 Feb 2015, 14:15 »

If Beatrice decides to become a patron of the arts the conflict possibilities are endless.

"Nice bronze anomalocaris, but can you make it more... deadly?"
"YES!!!"
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

TheEvilDog

« Reply #352 on: 11 Feb 2015, 14:22 »

If Beatrice decides to become a patron of the arts the conflict possibilities are endless.

"YES!!!"

I always got the feeling Beatrice was more into bronze bulls.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #353 on: 11 Feb 2015, 14:33 »

However, Faye could approach the gallery owner and get an advance on her next project. He knows she has the talent, and that she will finish it. I mean, just from my perspective, Faye would probably rather be her own boss than work under someone again.

I would be very interested to see Faye try to make a living off of her sculpture. I would not be interested to see Faye working at another coffee shop.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #354 on: 11 Feb 2015, 14:39 »

However, Faye could approach the gallery owner and get an advance on her next project. He knows she has the talent, and that she will finish it. I mean, just from my perspective, Faye would probably rather be her own boss than work under someone again.

I would be very interested to see Faye try to make a living off of her sculpture. I would not be interested to see Faye working at another coffee shop.

Then again, Faye really only complete the T-espressosaurus because Dora was managing her and driving her forward.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #355 on: 11 Feb 2015, 15:09 »

I would not be interested to see Faye working at another coffee shop.

The Secret Bakery is not 'another coffee shop'. It's a very different operation with a different philosophy and different people (I've read it described as the 'Anti-Coffee of Doom'). It would be a different environment in which to place Faye with different challenges and benefits for her as a character.
  • No cussing, insulting or beating up customers (learn to control anger issues);
  • Far larger product range and thus a more diverse customer base including families (happiness is possible);
  • A certain 15-year-old wannabe biologist who has also strongly imprinted on Faye;
  • Her room-mate's mother (who was never really sure about her) as a possible regular visitor to challenge her.
There is potentially a new story to be told there and it is possible that the less aggressive environment might be beneficial for her.

[edit]
Fix'd typo
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2015, 15:28 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #356 on: 11 Feb 2015, 15:24 »

She'd also have panel time with Renee, Angus's other ex.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #357 on: 11 Feb 2015, 15:25 »

That.. just does not appeal to me. In terms of a story. If this were real life, whatever, Faye prob would get a job a Secret Bakery, Heck, Padma just quit, they probably have an opening for her.

From a storytelling perspective, at least to me, Faye working at a coffee shop does not make sense. There is already a "faye" character at SB, who also used to date Angus. and while I guess that would make for more "delicious drama" I am just not interested in that. It might be fun as a one time gag... Faye goes in to SB to apply for job and is confronted with her Bizarro world counterpart.

I would rather see Faye get a job delivering Pizza, than see her work at SB.

I mean, whatever, it's Jeph's story and he's gonna go where he's gonna go. And thats cool. I just really hope he goes in another direction than SB.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #358 on: 11 Feb 2015, 15:32 »

Not to be all realistic or anything, but there are other jobs she can do in tandem with the sculpture that wouldn't involve coffee or comestibles (I bring this up because a decent portion of the forum -- me included -- thinks that Faye working wouldn't be a bad idea, while the other half seems to think that "job" = CoD or SB).
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #359 on: 11 Feb 2015, 15:40 »

Faye's new job: The Worst Librarian.

Dark Matter

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #360 on: 11 Feb 2015, 15:45 »

I imagine part of the reason that people are focused on CoD or SB as potential places of employment for Faye is that we already know the characters at those places. If Faye were to get a job at some completely different place, it would mean either not really showing us Faye at work or introducing a whole new set of characters. That might start to get kind of unwieldy considering how large the current ensemble is. There are already some character's storylines that haven't been followed up on in quite a while.

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #361 on: 11 Feb 2015, 15:48 »

Seeee, the Martin we all know so well is still in there, lol. :3

meowmix

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #362 on: 11 Feb 2015, 16:01 »

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster :)

The moment that got me to join and comment was when people didn't understand the kinkiness behind Claire's desire to wear glasses during sex. To that, I say... Does Marten's room have mirrors? Because it's pretty kinky to watch.

Also, I feel that Marten is way too nervous or over accommodating to Faye in the most recent strip. Why does he need to ask if it's okay to have someone over? Why is it so foot-in-mouth for him to agree with Faye that she has a lot of issues to think about?

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #363 on: 11 Feb 2015, 16:06 »

Hi new person! Don't mind me, I'm only here to make you uncomfortable.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #364 on: 11 Feb 2015, 16:13 »

Can we go back to talking about how wonderful Monday's comic was?  Maybe it's just me, but seeing how happy Claire and Marten are has really made my week, and I'm supposed to be a crusty old cynic with no time for these human emotions.  There was always the possibility that their pillow talk after their first time could be really awkward--Claire nursing some lingering doubts about Marten's sincerity ("Did he really like what we did, or is he just going through the motions to spare my feelings?"), Marten unsure of his own feelings, etc.--so seeing them both past that, totally happy and comfortable with each other, and ready for another go (with glasses on) has made me ridiculously happy all week (well, "ridiculously happy" by my standards), and turned #2892 into one of my favorite QC strips.  Top 10, definitely.  Panel 3 deserves special mention.  Her bright eyes and her hand curled around the back of Marten's neck says it all.  Well done, Jeph.

(Although I'm still not sure what happened to Claire's boobs in Panel 1.  They seem to have migrated further down her torso.  Marten needs to be a gentleman and shift his arm further up so they can return to their proper places and remain tactfully hidden.)

Now if anyone needs me, I'll be over in the corner practicing my tough & stoic look.  Grr.  Don't look at me!
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #365 on: 11 Feb 2015, 16:19 »

Now if anyone needs me, I'll be over in the corner practicing my tough & stoic look.  Grr.  Don't look at me!

I, on the other hand, have conditioned myself to think cute things are stupid. I'll let Bill Burr explain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3UidFxqaqM

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #366 on: 11 Feb 2015, 16:24 »

"YES!!!"

Quite a brazen statement. :claireface:
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #367 on: 11 Feb 2015, 16:52 »

"YES!!!"

I dunno, having Faye build that kind of device for Hannelore's mom would sound a low point in the comic.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #368 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:15 »

Maybe Faye can pull a da Vinci and create war machines to pay the bills.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #369 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:30 »

I hear the pentagon pays $4000 per war ladle.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #370 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:40 »

This comic has too much whelm. I don't know what to do with this much whelming.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #371 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:41 »

"YES!!!"

I dunno, having Faye build that kind of device for Hannelore's mom would sound a low point in the comic.

You never know, things might just heat up now.

Zalder

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #372 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:44 »

Good to see that, even if she grumbled through it, Faye has a rough plan of what she needs to do.  Also, Claire is just too damn adorable.
-It's tradition!
-Tradition is the illusion of permanence.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #373 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:46 »

Man, whelm is bullshit.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #374 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:47 »

I wonder if its hit Claire that her mother's going to comment about her being out all night and that she's wearing a teeshirt three sizes too big.
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2015, 17:55 by valkygrrl »
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #375 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:51 »

I suspect Claire's mom is busy hanging up the "Happy Arbor Day 2003" banner in front of Casa Augustus.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #376 on: 11 Feb 2015, 17:52 »

Well, that answers the question of whether Faye had stopped going to therapy or not.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #377 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:08 »

I think it also answers the question of whether Faye will go to AA or not.  I suspect that's what the being ogled by creepy old dudes comment was supposed to imply.

ASB84

« Reply #378 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:11 »

Over on the Subreddit, there is a border ad that describes Questionable Content as a Webcomic Soap Opera. I think that this is a fair description - The strip is progressively following a set of characters' lives through primarily character-driven drama, comedy, romance and heartbreak. There is very little or any hint of a long-running meta-plot beyond 'these characters are moving through life and this is what has happened this time'.

Regarding Faye's violent tendencies, initially, QC was not ment to be even sightly realistic. It was comedy and it was occasionally slapstick comedy. However, with time, the characters have developed, become more three-dimensional and their extremely exaggerated primary characteristics have been toned down quite considerably. I argue that this was a conscious choice on Jeph's part, mostly motivated by his desire to more real-world-like characters (starting with the rightly-infamous Strip 500) rather than just a strip-by-strip series of jokes.

Absolutely. Still, there are traces of that original characterisation that have evolved into more realistic, but nevertheless abrasive and problematic personality traits, that would be good for her to work out.

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #379 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:13 »

Oh my gosh! Dialogue! Claire interacting with a non-library character! Claire talking about her past!

I feel like the art has been very "on" this week, particularly Monday and Tuesday's strips. This one is all right, but isn't it weird how Claire's facial expression doesn't change at all between panels 1, 2, and 4? My first guess was that Jeph is copy-and-pasting his pencils, but if I overlay them in photoshop it's clear that he isn't — all the outlines are subtly different. I really don't understand why he doesn't vary up facial expressions or camera angles; it must be as boring to draw this kind of strip as it is to read it.

Relatedly, the new 2x2 format strikes again — if this were drawn in the 1x4 style, we'd have all three of Faye, Marten and Claire in-frame and bantering/reaacting. Instead we get two-back-to-back, two-on-two conversations, and I guess Marten is off in the bathroom for this conversation or something.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #380 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:19 »

. This one is all right, but isn't it weird how Claire's facial expression doesn't change at all between panels 1, 2, and 4?

That's because they're walking from one room to another and the "camera" is staying directly in front of them, so Claire keeps looking at Faye from the same angle.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #381 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:28 »

. This one is all right, but isn't it weird how Claire's facial expression doesn't change at all between panels 1, 2, and 4?

That's because they're walking from one room to another and the "camera" is staying directly in front of them, so Claire keeps looking at Faye from the same angle.

Jeph's West Winging it.

Coffee_Kaioken

• Furry furrier
« Reply #382 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:42 »

Faye's new job: The Worst Librarian.

Then she and Marten are working together, living together, along with seeing him and Claire more often.... eh.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #383 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:43 »

So there's art therapy, aromatherapy, and now "fuckin' therapy".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #384 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:48 »

"fuckin' therapy".

Cue the speculation that Sven will be showing up soon...  :roll:

TheEvilDog

« Reply #385 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:49 »

You forgot physiotherapy, because I imagine anyone who messes or ogles Faye right now is going to be in need of it and soon.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #386 on: 11 Feb 2015, 18:50 »

When did Faye stop going to therapy?

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #387 on: 11 Feb 2015, 19:02 »

Probably as soon as she started seeing Angus, or shortly thereafter. 

After all, relationships solve everything...  :roll:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

On a different note, it's good that Faye's a bit preoccupied with her own problems.  Otherwise, she might have asked Claire what she needed a support group for... 

Not that she'd react really badly, but I imagine a spittake would be involved since she's still working on her coffee. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #388 on: 11 Feb 2015, 19:14 »

Unless Claire answered that question with "Anxiety", which really isn't an incorrect answer at all.
Mistakes, ahoy!

AprilArcus

• FIGHT YOU
  • adoxographical exegete
« Reply #389 on: 11 Feb 2015, 19:17 »

I think the last time she mentioned therapy was in 1802 where she obtains a referral for Dora.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #390 on: 11 Feb 2015, 19:29 »

After all, relationships solve everything...  :roll:

--------------------------------------------------------------------

On a different note, it's good that Faye's a bit preoccupied with her own problems.  Otherwise, she might have asked Claire what she needed a support group for... 

Not that she'd react really badly, but I imagine a spittake would be involved since she's still working on her coffee. 

I can't remember if Faye knows about Claire or not.

Any Archive-fu master able to find the relevent Comics where she told Marten?
Was Faye there or was it just her, Marten, Clinton and, I think, Emily?

Dr. Corrine's return?
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #391 on: 11 Feb 2015, 19:32 »

Faye doesn't know about Claire. She told Marten here and Emily here.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #392 on: 11 Feb 2015, 19:33 »

yeah, that was after Faye and Angus started dating. I think she stopped going when she started feeling better. I mean it's expensive after all and she's not rolling in money.

And I don't think Faye knows about Claire's status, but I think she does know at least that she has anxiety attacks, since Marten probably told her.

TheCollector

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #393 on: 11 Feb 2015, 19:36 »

Panel 3 Claire for new cutest Claire! :3

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #394 on: 11 Feb 2015, 19:38 »

Faye doesn't know about Claire. She told Marten here and Emily here.

OK.  Just couldn't remember whether Faye was there when Claire told Marten at the Lakeside Party.
James The Kugai 

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #395 on: 11 Feb 2015, 19:39 »

Faye (or any of the other cast members) may have figured it out, or Emily may have spilled the beans to someone. And just nobody bothered to comment on it. But it's more likely (and conservation of comic reality) is that only Marten, Emily and the Agustus' know of that part of Claire's past.

One thing that is curious though... what sort of group therapy would one go to for anxiety? I am just not thinking of a case where that would be a useful treatment.
OK.  Just couldn't remember whether Faye was there when Claire told Marten at the Lakeside Party.

Nah, she was busy making with the face sucking with Angus at the time...

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #396 on: 11 Feb 2015, 19:43 »

Makes you wonder if anyone is going to be surprising close-minded about it, you never know.

One thing that is curious though... what sort of group therapy would one go to for anxiety? I am just not thinking of a case where that would be a useful treatment.

They use them a lot, but the only times I've heard of it has been in rehab/mental wellness type of place. I think it's more just being able to open up, but I'm not a therapist.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #397 on: 11 Feb 2015, 19:44 »

"I - I'm sorry, I can't stay for tonight's session, I - I think I'm having an anxiety attack..."

Yeah.  A whole room of people popping atavans because they're anxious about talking about their anxiety in front of others wouldn't be very productive! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Dalillama

• Furry furrier
  • Schmott Guy
    • LDOriginals: GLBT friendly costumes, sweets, and more
« Reply #398 on: 11 Feb 2015, 20:01 »

No, this isn't Ma3.

It isn't, but for some reason therapists keep recommending it anyway.
My husband makes cool clothes, costumes and candy. 10% off all candies and stuffed animals until Valentines.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #399 on: 11 Feb 2015, 20:03 »

They get a discount on a group rate
James The Kugai 

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15   Go Up