Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 06 Apr 2020, 15:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10 favorite songs... and why.  (Read 34899 times)

rynne

• The Tickler
  • Hey, nice marmot!
10 favorite songs... and why.
« on: 21 Dec 2004, 11:29 »

This is kinda the flip-side of the “2 songs you think everyone should hear? thread.  And like that thread, this one is also taken from another forum (thanks, chim!).

Basically, we all love music here, and we love particular songs more than others.  The objective here is to list your favorite songs, and explain why you've chosen those songs.  What are the qualities you use when you to look on a lifetime of music appreciation, and choose particular songs as your favorites.  It can be anything from adoring the poetry of the words, to being impressed by the production values, to being influenced by the ideas expressed, to remembering what was playing when you had your first kiss.  

So: list your personal 10 favorite songs—no more, no less—and explain why you've selected each one.  I'll start:

Nine Inch Nails - “Wish?
Because of what it started.  I first checked out NIN because of “Wish.?  And NIN was the first band that I got into by myself, the first band I loved that wasn't influenced by my friends.  It started me searching for music on my own, music that I liked that no one else had heard about.

Nine Inch Nails - “The Becoming?
The construction of this still amazes me, both in songwriting and production terms.  Bolting a 4/4 acoustic guitar bridge to a 13/8 verse built on squealing machinery and screams blew my mind, once I got my head around what was actually going on.  I love how a catchy, moving song can simultaneously embody such harshness and noise.

Orbital - “Halcyon + On + On?
It's just gorgeous.  This is what beauty sounds like.  “Halcyon? was the first Orbital track I heard (on the Mortal Kombat soundtrack, of all god-forsaken places), and it hit me immediately and never lost its touch.  I was literally moved to tears when I finally heard it live.  I adore the ethereal warmth of this track, like a half-remembered dream captured.

Scraping Foetus off the Wheel - “DI-1-9026?
I couldn’t give a definite explanation as to why this is my favorite song by Jim Thirlwell.  It’s not a pleasant song by any means; the title is the phone number at the Manson compound, and the lyrics are a fevered rant about ritual killing and eternal life.  But it’s got a manic energy that’s impossible to ignore.  It’s not the misanthropy that’s the point, it’s the overpowering excitement contained therein.

Underworld - “Dirty Epic?
A sad pop song streched to infinity.  At its heart, it's a song that's been written thousands of ways: being lonely, listening to music, masturbating.  But the free-form lyrics, the endlessly repeated guitar lick, the bass throb, over 9 1/2 minutes turn it into a koan, a meditation on isolation.  

Blur - “For Tomorrow (Visit to Primrose Hill Extended)?
For all intents and purposes, this is the archetypal pop song for me.  I was only casually interested in Blur before I heard this song as the lead off of Modern Life Is Rubbish, but upon hearing it, I was hooked.  It cribs a bit from the Beatles—the la-la-la chorus, the brass and string backing—but it’s immaculately well-crafted.  This song, and the accompanying album, made me sit up and notice pop music as a vital genre in itself.  I’ve chosen the extended version from the single because I adore the additional instrumental sections.

Cornershop - “Brimful of Asha (Norman Cook Full Length Remix)?
Probably the most fun song I know.  Yes, it's a bit hacky, but it's also completely joyful.  This never fails to put me in a good mood.  It's addictive.

Björk - “Immature?
This album is probably the one I had the strongest single connection to in my life.  I’d just broken up with my long-term girlfriend, I was taking summer courses at college, and no one I knew was living within 30 miles of me.  I was depressed and in one of those “oh my god, I’ll be alone forever? funks.  And then I found this album, and it not only expressed what I was feeling perfectly, but it also offered a stronger alternate view.  This song embodies it best: How could I be so immature / To think he would replace / The missing elements of me? / How extremely lazy of me!  Now that I’m through that phase, the strength of that connection has faded, but I’m still grateful for how it helped me.

The The - “GIANT?
Much like “Dirty Epic,? this is another 9-minute lament on isolation and personal identity.  Where Underworld runs in circles, though, Matt Johnson fights his way out.  What begins as a sparse, synthetic track builds into a whirlwind as instruments pile on, finally exploding into an utterly cathartic tribal chant.

Jim White - “Christmas Day?
This is the only song that will consistently make me tear up.  A folk-influnced song, it's more a story set to music than a verse/chorus construction.  It’s about a heartbroken man finding redemption in the chance encounter with his former love.  The storytelling is brilliant and poignant; sadness made more acute by the subtle hope contained therein: I remember quite clearly, a bad Muzak version / Of James Taylor's big hit, called “Fire and Rain? / Was playing as you crouched down and tearfully kissed me / And I thought, “Damn, what good fiction I will mold from this terrible pain.?
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Hairy Joe Bob

• The German Chancellory building
  • "A porkchop, akocha!"
« Reply #1 on: 21 Dec 2004, 12:05 »

Alright here goes:

Purple Rain by Prince
The first song that ever made sense to me musically and emotionally.  It was the first song that ever made me go 'Wow!' and moved me.

Love Will Tear Us Apart by Joy Division
A seminal moment - the first time a songwriter touched on what it meant to be me.  The sense of isolation and despair at your darkest moments - this song sums them up.

Joga by Bjork
Quite simply the most beautiful pop song ever written.  'Nuff said - it just is.  And the video!  Oh....!

Belfast by Orbital
About the city of my homeland, and it evokes a most peaceful, calm mood.  It reminds me of dawn.

Go by Moby
The first time I heard this I was at an old skool rave with some of my friends in a cave outside Brighton.  It was 4 o'clock and we were  all off our faces and we realised for the first time we all loved each other like brothers and sisters.

Waterfall by Stone Roses
It was the song that soundtracked the first time I ever fell in love.  And tho my heart was broken I listened to this song every morning when I woke up for three years.

Favourite T by the Lemonheads
I heard this after I'd split up with someone.  It rang particularly true as there was an item of clothing that he used to wear that I loved.  And the song rang true with me.

This Is Hardcore by Pulp
The best song ever written about attaining fame and fortune and discovering you hate it and that maybe it wasn't worth it.  and Pulp deserved so much more, and so much better.

Superstylin' by Groove Armada
Reminds me of being out clubbing with my closest friends and being completely and utterly happy.

Disgracelands by Therapy?
Therapy? were the soundtrack to my middle-adolescence and this is my favourite song of their's.

EDIT: Yes I know.  I was trying to think of explanations in the meantime.
Our lips are sealed
It doesn't matter what they say, no one's listening anyway

rynne

• The Tickler
  • Hey, nice marmot!
« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2004, 12:14 »

*edit* nevermind.  ;)
When Kleiner showed me the sky-line of New York, I told him that man is like the coral insect---designed to build vast, beautiful, mineral things for the moonlight to delight in after he is dead. - H.P. Lovecraft

Thal

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2004, 13:09 »

Great topic but DAMN hard to do. Will read some of your songs and then try to make a list of my own. But the 10 song limit feels evil, heck all limits are in there nature evil.

devils_daughter

« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2004, 13:09 »

This is gonna take awhile. Ok, in no paticular order:

Halo- "Feel": Just beautiful lyrically.

Eagle Eye Cherry - "Save tonight": I'm not exactly keen on the song but when your then boyfriend is about to leave the country and stands up in front of an entire restaurant and sings this to you, it has to at least make the top ten!

Aerosmith- "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing": My ex decided that this was "our song" (bit cliche I know) so it'll always remind me of him, and when I can bear to hear it again, it'll always remind me that I made the mistake of trusting a man.

Staind -"Epiphany": Helped me realise I wasn't the only depressed person in the world, nuff said. :)

Evanescence - "my immortal": the soundtrack to breaking up with your fiance but keeping them as a boyfriend.

Eva Cassidy- "Somewhere over the rainbow": Hopeful, again nuff said

Aqua - "Barbie Girl": After watching a friend of mine sing the entire song after sucking on a helium balloon while wearing his army uniform, the song (and image :) ) always makes me laugh.

Green Day "Time of Your Life": I went to Morrocco years ago on a hiking expedition to try and get over the depression I was going through at the time. During this trip I kept listening to this song and it was on this trip that I realised that I wanted to live for the first time in over 2 1/2 years. This song always reminds me of that revelation.

My Dying Bride- "Grace Unhearing": I just love the fluidity of this song (and the entire album!)

Stonesour -"Bother"- I just love this song. I love the lyrics, I love the music and I love the way it shows off Corey's voice in a way Slipknot never will

K I think I'm done!

AndSheeWas

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2004, 13:21 »

Ten Favs...wow. Okays:

1. And She Was- Talking Heads: This was one of the first songs that made me sit up and pay attention to it. I love the lyrics, and I feel like I identify with them a lot, although I am not a pot-smoking hippie chick who lies in fields.

2. Janine- David Bowie: The guitar riffs on this are awesome. I guess I secretly love folk music, and this is a great Bowie folkesque song. The lyrics also kick major ass.

3. Son of a Preacherman- Dusty Springfield: She has such an amazing voice. And this was an awesome scene in Pulp Fiction.

4. Box of Rain- Grateful Dead: Very chill. Awesome lyrics.

5. Super Trouper- ABBA: Such a pretty song. I love ABBA's harmonies.

6. Leavin' on a Jet Plane- Peter, Paul and Mary version: It will always remind me of home and my parents.

7. Photograph- Def Leppard: I have no reasoning behind this choice other than it rocks out!

8. In the Ghetto- Elvis: Camp value.

9. One of My Lies- Green Days: It will always remind me of my angsty youth.

10. Surrender- Cheap Trick: Another great set of lyrics.

gothiccheese

« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2004, 13:52 »

Wow, tough. Heres some of mine.
Don't Speak by No Doubt
Just a beautiful song, and I love the solo.

Nobody's Home by Avril Lavigne
I rarely admit to this, but this has to be her best song, and she's not bad.

Numb by Linkin Park
I first heard it when I was under a lot of stress from my mum, so I sort of conected with it.

Bring me to Life by Evanescence
The band that I've liked and carried on liking the longest. I normally move from album to album, but I'm still listening to this one.

To whom it may concern by Jinxed
A lovly song to sing and play, and they were very nice and replied to all my emails.

The First Single by The Format
Catchy intro, and had me singing it for ages. Playing air guitar and everything.

Sic Gloria Transit by Brand New
I listened to this alot last summer, and the writings amazing. All that stuff about stairs, I loved it. But my cd got scratched up.

Dawn on a Funeral Day by Tsunami Bomb
Hugley improved from their first stuff, and sang that alot. Though I love most of their stuff.

Powder by Yellowcard
Quite a powerful song, and I'm having a lot of trouble saying why this is soo good. Just take my word for it.

Zombie by Cranberries
The first time I heard this was sung by a girl at my school, and she was amazing. It was better then the original, and this is the closest thing I have to her version.

exliontamer

this post goes to 11
« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2004, 14:29 »

"Fearless Vampire Killers" by Bad Brains
This is what all punk rock should sound like. On top of that its got a pretty good message and its all wrapped up in a nice little metaphor. Not to bad for a song that's barely a minute long.

"Homesong" by Converge
I don't know what it is about this song in particular, but out of all the rockin Converge songs this one always seems to rock extra hard for me. The lyrics are very personal, but I have sort of adopted them into a specific meaning for me.

"残酷?天使?テーゼ" by 高橋洋?
I am a huge anime nerd and this song is the theme song to my favorite anime of all time, Evangelion. It always reminds me of watching the series over and over again and calls up great memories from my past.

"My Application to Heaven" by pg99
A great fucking hardcore song. It has all the perfect parts needed to rock out live, plus there's a part where you get to scream "FUCK YOU JESUS!" It doesn't get any better than that.

"Presenting: The Dancing Machine..." by the Lawrence Arms
This song is the ultimate anthem of post-teenage apathy...which is funny because it didn't make it unto the Apathy and Exhaustion album. "Day one has just begun, I'm battered broken dazed and numb..."

"Rise Up, Wise Up" by Turbine
This song never fails to cheer me up a little. The music is so triumphant you'd swear it was a christian rock song, but the message is all about turning the tide against hate and bigotry, so it's obviously not.

"Outdoor Miner" by Wire
Its funny that such an experimental band would end up writing the perfect pop song. Or maybe it isn't... One thing's for sure, it's better than anything the Beatles ever crapped out.

"Waiting Room" by Fugazi
Another pretty perfect interpretation of apathy and the post-teenage existance. I wonder why so many of my favorite songs are about that?

"Silent Jealousy" by X (Japan)
This is the best hair metal song ever written. Period, end of story. There are American hair metal bands...and then there is X Japan, the one who beats them up for their hairspray money at the bus stop.

"Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards" by Billy Bragg
This song is all about progress and what that actually means. Why do very political musicians waste their time writing songs? This song is the fucking answer to that question.

Extra special song: "Rake at the Gates of Hell" by the Pogues
The Pogues are perhaps my all time favorite band...though who really knows if that's true. All I know is that Shane MacGowan is a fucking genius songwriter...and this is his most powerful song in my opinion.
"Mother's eyes are sparkling diamonds
Still the moon shows no light
This rose is withered, may God deliver
The rake at the gates of hell tonight"

Reno

« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2004, 15:01 »

OK, here goes

Breathe - Collective Soul (Hints, Alligations and Things left Unsaid) - Melodic vocals, beautiful guitar work and a beat that cant be beat.  Just a generally wonderful song.

Boulevard of Broken Dreams - Green Day - I have always been a Green Day fan, but this has to be the most awsome piece they have ever done.  

B Side Street Fire - Lucy Psychosis - If you dont live in British Columbia's Okanagan Valley, then you probably have not heard of this band.  They mik folk, metal and electronica into a gorgeous sounding multi-genre sound.  This one song though has the lead singers voice go from his usual tenor, down to a raging baritone up to a lilting soprano.  In my books, this is THE most perfect piece of musical work i have ever heard.  Too bad I cant find the album anywhere...

Rise Inside - Killswitch Engage - This is a revolutionary's song if I have ever heard one.

Stairway to Heaven - Led Zepplin - Officially dubbed one of "The best Rock 'n Roll songs ever." I have to agree.

There is 5, I cant think of anymore right now....will edit more in later.

Tago Mago

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #9 on: 22 Dec 2004, 15:05 »

Mars - Helen Fordsdale A no-wave classic that an awful lot of people seem to have heard. The guitar in this song is quite simply the best I've ever heard. It's similar to that in Sonic Youth's "Star Power", but Sonic Youth never had the pure, frantic energy or awesome, screeching vocals of Mars.

Brian Eno - Spider and I I'm a big fan of Brian Eno, but I think the combination of beautifully inspired lyrics and sweet, mounful melody make this song his best.

Can - Oh Yeah Did I already give away my favourite guitar prize? In that case, Oh Yeah contains my favourite drums ever. This is one of the few rock songs that always makes me get up and thrash about whenever I hear it. It's absolutely impossible to ignore.

Broken Social Scene - Almost Crimes This song is so unbearably catchy. It's one of the most perfect mixes of experimentation and pop...

...after Wire - Outdoor Miner, of course.

The Fall - The Classical This is The Fall's defining song for me, and it contains everything I like about them. The frantically chugging guitar riff, MES's dissociated vocal tracks spewing forth his very best lyrics. The epic ending is simply sublime.

The Kinks - Party Line I just adore the chorus. "I'm not voting in the next election if they don't do something about finding out the person who is on my party line." OMG!

Captain Beefheart - Moonlight on Vermont This song manages to swing in a totally enthralling way while remaining constantly on the edge of collapse. The lyrics are equally asymmetrical, but among the closest to legitimate poetry I've ever heard in rock music.

Yo La Tengo - Autumn Sweater This is one of the few Yo La Tengo songs in which I think the relatively austere vocals serve to heighten the tension and overall coolness of the music. Maybe it's because it ignores YLT's usual focus on guitars, so the vocals seem less artificial. In any case, this song kicks ass.

Guided By Voices - Underwater Explosions I know Robert Pollard is a Wire fan, but I'm convinced he must have been listening to Outdoor Miner when he wrote this song. It's so catchy and has the bittersweet force of older GBV in every note.

meddle

« Reply #10 on: 22 Dec 2004, 18:53 »

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Reason: "We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl, year after year." Soundtrack to the most important aspect of my life.

Bruce Springsteen - Jungleland
Reason: "Beneath the city two hearts beat / Soul engines runnin' through a night so tender. / In a bedroom locked, in whispers of soft refusal and then surrender... / In the tunnels uptown, the Rat's own dream guns him down / The shots echo down them hallways in the night. / No one watches as the ambulance turns away / Or as the girl shuts out the bedroom light... / Outside the street's on fire in a real death waltz / Between what's flesh and what's fantasy / And the poets down here don't write nothin' at all / They just stand back and let all be / In the quick of a knife, they reach for their moment and try to make an honest stand / But they wind up wounded, not even dead / Tonight in Jungleland..."
Anyone who says that Springsteen was a sub-standard lyricist is hereby proven wrong.

Roy Atkinson - Pay the Bill
Reason: lyrics
A little-known folkie from Upstate NY. Don't try and find his only album, Shapes; it was never released.

Ben Folds Five - Evaporated
Song has a long history, and is the voice that is moving me towards my destiny. Honestly

Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms
Reason: Listen to it, then watch Platoon.

Dire Straits - Romeo and Juliet
Brings back interesting memories. Of a girl.

Simon and Garfunkel - Kathy's Song
Reason: May as well have been written for me. "I gaze along the rain-drenched streets / To England, where my heart lies," etc. (God I loved her).

Bruce Springsteen - The River
Reason: His consummate song. "Is a dream a lie if it don't come true, or is it something worse?"

Is that 10? Eight is good enough.

Fuck! Forgot to add:

Cat Stevens - Father and Son
Reason: Just listen to it! Amazing songwriting, and I have an interesting story behind it.

meganjo23

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #11 on: 22 Dec 2004, 19:09 »

Nirvana-Smells Like Teen Spirit- classic. Always makes me feel like getting up and moving around. I can’t help but love it. Kind of weird that I like it so much, I don’t like the rest of Nirvana’s stuff that much.

The Blood Brothers- Love Rhymes With Hideous Car Wreck- I Haven’t been listening to it for that long, but I love it. It’s so different from everything else I listen to, it’s very refreshing. Also has song really cool lyrics, “But some things never get better, like used cars and bad livers.?  I love the high pitched voice thingy, too.

Straylight Run- Existentialism on Prom Night- Always makes me want to put on my pointe shoes and dance when I hear it. And anything that want to make my feet hurt that much is good. I love the piano, it sounds so sad. Plus the video rocks. But woe is me, I don’t have their CD yet, so I have no clue if the rest of their songs are that awesome.

Brand New- Sic Transit Gloria- When I was looking for the lyrics to this song, some website popped up to inform me that the title means something like ‘and so the glory passes away’ in Latin, which gives it bonus points in my mind. Seriously, you don’t know how much the titles of songs affect whether I like them or not. Anyways, that storyline of the song is cool, pretty creative. Also love “The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows?

Red Hot Chili Peppers- Under the Bridge- It just sounds so awesome. I love the chorus, too… “And I don’t ever want to feel, like I did that day? gets me every time.

Linken Park- In the End- reminds of the good ole days, before all of my friends started fighting. Kind of ironic, it reminds me of when everyone in ‘my group’ still got along, yet its about how no matter how hard you try, everything falls apart in the end. Depressing, but cool.  (and shut up, I like Linken Park =P)

Blink 182- Please Take Me Home- has that worn, jaded feel to it that I love oh so much. Plus Blink 182 is one of my favorite bands.

The Killers- Mr. Brightside- Depressing lyrics (“And I just can’t look, it’s killing me,?) but upbeat music. Makes for a good combination in this case.

Hawthorne Heights- Ohio is for Lovers- Its just a good song, in my opinion. Classic emo, but hey, I like it. “Because you kill me, you know you do, you kill me well, you like it too, and I can tell, you never stop until my final breath is gone,?. The music is what gets me, though.

The Used- Blue and Yellow- “Should’ve done something, but I’ve done it enough, by the way your hands were shaking, rather waste some time with you.? It sounds so sad and regretful. Hey, I like sad songs. No, I’m not all depressed and mopey all the time, I just like sad songs. And this is a good one.  And I like the way the lead singers voice sounds.

So those're my songs. Thanks for listening to me ramble, feel free to yell at me for my horrid taste in music now.
-Hey, what time is it?
-It's shirtless o'clock!

http://www.myspace.com/staticlove23

Malphas

« Reply #12 on: 22 Dec 2004, 21:05 »

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/anorexianervosa/drudenhaus.html#4">Anorexia Nervosa - Enter the Church of Fornication (5:33)
This is one of my favorite songs by this band, and I love it because it's so agressive, yet it has complex piano pieces that accompany it throughout which add a touch of sophistication.  There's also a particular part in the song that I'm fond of where Hreiddmar is singing in german, and there's a really nice riff in the background.  

http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/cold/ugly.html">Cold - Ugly (4:14)
This is the only non-metal song on my list.  Cold was one of my favorite bands back before I really got into metal, but this song is still one of my favorites.  First off, I really love songs with acoustic intros, and this song is one of the best in my opinion.  It has a touch of atmosphere and feeling that is absent in most music.  

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/cradleoffilth/crueltyandthebeast.html#4">Cradle of Filth - Beneath the Howling Stars (7:42)
This is the song that really got me into black metal(though some would argue CoF isn't really black metal, but oh well).  The song is almost 8 minutes long, and I really love long epic songs, especially ones with such well written lyrics as this song.  

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/dimmuborgir/spiritualblackdimensions.html#7">Dimmu Borgir - The Insight And the Cartharsis (7:17)
Same story as the one above.  The part that I really like about this song is Vortex's clean vocals.  This is another song that I'd suggest that some other people take a listen to.

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/mayhem/demysteriisdomsathanas.html#1">Mayhem - Funeral Fog (5:46)
This is the first songs off of one of the most infleuential albums in all of Black Metal.  It really defined black metal as it's known today.  Atilla's weird ass vocals in this song are a nice touch.  

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/mercyfulfate/dontbreaktheoath.html#9">Mercyful Fate - Come To The Sabbath (5:19)
This is the first song that I learned to play all the way through on bass and it is still one of my favorite songs.  King Diamond's vocals on this song are superb as always, and it has a nice sound to it that just makes you want to yell "METALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!"  

Metallica - The Call of Ktulu (8:53)
This is one of my favorite instrumental songs and the fact that it's named after a very cool H.P. Lovecraft story makes it even cooler.  The song is very fitting for the story of Cthulhu in my opinion as well.  

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/silencer/deathpierceme.html#1">Silencer - Death Pierce Me (10:34)
Acoustic intro and long epic song?  YAY!  These guys play crazy ass suicidal black metal, and one of the things that makes this genre great is that the singers are ACTUALLY CRAZY.  This band is currently broken up due to the fact that the singer is in a MENTAL INSTITUTION.  Of course, one look at the lyrics will tell you why.  Anyways, even though the guy is a nutcase, he makes -awesome- music.  This is some of the craziest sounding stuff I've heard, yet it still has that touch of elegence missing in a lot of metal.  GREAT song by a GREAT band.

Vesperian Sorrow - Astrodramatica (8:39)
I've seen this band live like 5 times.  That's how good they are.  The guitarist could give Alexi Laiho and Yngwie Malmsteen a run for their money.  EVERY SINGLE MEMBER in this band is extremely talented and they are by far one of the best live acts I've seen.  Any one of their songs would do here, I just picked my favorite.  I'd post a link to their lyrics, but the singer doesn't like to put them online for some reason.  They're in the booklet for the cd, but I can't read the writing.  :(

http://www.darklyrics.com/lyrics/xasthur/nocturnalpoisoning.html#2">Xasthur - Soul Abduction Ceremony (7:44)
This band(not really a band, as it is only one guy) is quite possibly the most unique and frightening things I've heard. At around 3:40 in the song, the singer, Malefic, lets out a wail from the pits of hell.  It gives me a chill down my spine every time I hear this song.  Xasthur doesn't try to be agressive, flashy or complicated, but it's still one of the best bands in my opinion.  

Hope that about does it for my 10 songs.

flowers for charlie

« Reply #13 on: 23 Dec 2004, 16:34 »

okay... i'll try to only do one song per artist...

Bright Eyes - You Will...
my favorite love song.  play this for a girl and she will be all over you faster than you can say "you could be my dream, and i could have you every night".

Ted Leo/Pharmacists - Timorous Me
i could probably include more than one Ted song, but i'll restrain myself.  this is my favorite song of his.  a-j-j-johhhnY!  rattlin' it down on dem guitars.  maaan.

They Might Be Giants - We Want A Rock
omg this like so describes my lief.  brilliant.

Bonnie "Prince" Billy - Another Day Full of Dread
absolutely perfect.  gently bouncing instruments, will oldham's soft, sweet voice, the chorus gently complimented by the pained wailing of his backup singer, and that whiny fucking delight of a guitar solo.  great lyrics, too.  "nick nack!  it's all a trap!"

Unicorns - The Clap
clap your hands if you want some.

Neutral Milk Hotel - Two-Headed Boy Part 2
it came down to a toss-up between a NMH song or a Beatles song.  i figured fuck it, other people will be around to appreciate the Beatles.  but seriously, this song had a profound effect on me as an individual.  i don't want to sound like i'm going soft, here, but it really got to me, lyrically and melodically.

Decemberists - The Gymnast High Above The Ground
really, this is the best Decemberists song.  they do this cool thing where they use the same adjectives repeatedly.  "lazy, your long sister lays/waiting out this long light brigade/prayed for snow a long time/and lazy, it long has arrived", and i cream all over myself.  for real.  and they do that really soft guitar plucking thing, like bunka buh bunka buh bunka buh bunka buh...  good stuff.  and then BAM!  chorus!  piano!  sing along!  hooray!  it's a party.

Barenaked Ladies - Brian Wilson
what?  it's genius.

Elliott Smith - Waltz #2
Elliott's best.  piano, acoustic and electric guitars delicately intertwined over top of that three-beat drum waltz thing.  it also includes references to several old country songs, which is just about the coolest thing you can do.  

Franz Ferdinand - Dark Of The Matinee
i know what you're thinking, but this is just such an accurate account of what it's like to be a sexy hipster who's smitten with a sexy lady.  plus it's ultra-catchy.  and sexy.

is that ten?

fin

« Reply #14 on: 26 Dec 2004, 10:27 »

10 of my favorite songs, or at least the first ten that came into my head....

a perfect circle - 3 libras - mer de noms
or: the hollow (the buck remix) -eMotive
two beautiful tracks, the remix (or a cover i guess) of the hollow is quite different to the original - piano, strings and female vocals, and mer de noms is one of my all time favorite rock albums.

the paper chase - where have those hands been - hide the kitchen knives
It's so screwed up it's amazing - low down bass guitar and screeching vocals and guitar, also when i saw them live and had to leave for the last train after two songs (flatmates didnt like my idea of spending the night roaming glasgow) this was one of the songs they played.

brendan benson - the swamp [bonus track] - one mississippi
a great piece of songwriting, it makes me smile every time i hear it.

faithless - insomnia - reverence
it starts off a bit cheesy, but half way through it becomes one of the best dance tunes ever. it makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up.

fiona apple - paper bag - when the pawn.....
it either makes me want to cry or cheers me up

glassjaw - pretty lush - everything you ever wanted to know about silence
or: hed pe - pac bell - broke
'cause of the singer's vocals, especially jared from hedpe sounding like the cat from red dwarf on crack.

idlewild - roseability - 100 broken windows
idlewild seem to get the mix between melody and heavyness perfect, and i like the lyrics.

lamb - cotton wool - lamb
When i first heard lamb it felt like i had found the music i had always been looking for as opposed something that was just good, but not amazing, same goes for the paperchase, SOAD, portishead and so many other bands.  I listened this album to death and still like it.

refused - the deadly rythm - the shape of punk to come
the whole album is so brutal, but pretty or funky at times too,okay thats kinda 11 tracks, got to 10 songs and coudnt leave refused off.
[/i]

MeekRat

« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2004, 18:48 »

In no particular order:

10. Refused -  New Noise
very angry, energetic...everytime i listen to it i experience this rush of brutal energy. I do not connect with the words as much as the emoiton of the music.

9.  Sigur Ros - Untitled #3
Can't listen to it without crying.

8. My Chemical Romance - Drowning Lessons
I can really connect to it and it parrallels my feelings alot of the time when one's heart is capitvated by a member of the other sex.

7. The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
The strings, the lyrics, the video. It is such a masterpiece of a song and everytime i listen to it, it help puts everything in perspective

6. Underworld - Born Slippy
Such beautiful synths, its place in Trainspotting is amazing, and it has such energy. For some reason, it makes me feel better to listen to before going out on an important date.

5. Dead Can Dance - Sanvean
Such a sad song. Cannot listen to it without my mind drifting off. Lisa Gerrard's voice is amazing.

4. The Streets - Weak Become Heroes
It is catchy and has a profound message, and always reminds me of better times. I also love the song name.

3. Aimee Mann - Deathly
actually, anything from this awesome songwriter but esp. this one, as it is me and my friend's "song" and it evokes good memories of my very dear friend.

2. The Dawn Parade - Hole in my Heart
Catchy and very relate-able. I hope they release their album soon.

1. Slowdive - Machine Gun
this is one of hte most beautiful songs ever, and another good one that causes me to reminisce immensely.

Inane

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2004, 19:20 »

- "Staring at the Sun" - TV on the Radio : This song is one of my favorite of the year, and of all time.  A lot of adjectives have been used to describe the sound that TV on the Radio throw out, sort of barbershop-ish vocals, the opening gives me chills every time.

- "I Want You" - Third Eye Blind : This was my love song back in Junior High.  The chorus is just great, simplistic, you can hum or sing to it, instantly memorable.

- "Penelope" - Pinback : This song embodies happiness.  It's so mellow, and paints a picture of rain falling in a forest.  At least for me.  One of Pinback's pre-Summer of Abbadon up-tempo songs.

- "Blues for Uncle Gibb" - Broken Social Scene : While "Anthems..." is the song that everyone gives the most credit to, "Blues..." is by far the most emotional, sad piece of music I've heard as of late.

- "Red Right Ankle" - The Decemberists : Very mellow, all of the Decemberists songs have wonderfully memorable lyrics, but this one stands out the most to me.  I wish I had a gypsy uncle...

- "Christmas Steps" - Mogwai : This song is amazing, slowly building to an intense clash of guitars and drums, then fading away just as slowly.

- "Blueberry Boat" - The Fiery Furnaces : Never have I listened to a song go through so many changes.  Truly a story being told, it's just fun to learn the lyrics to and sing along.

- "Irony of it All" - The Streets : Mike Skinner is an amazing lyricist, and this song is an excellent example of such.  A debate between two warring characters, it keeps a fast pace and a strong voice.

- "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" - Radiohead : Thom Yorke's voice can be haunting, and this song is one of the first attestments to that fact.  Wailing and disturbing, yet soothing I suppose?

- "Borg Sex" - Joe Satriani : Satch is the greatest guitar player ever.  Well, maybe not, but he's one of the most technically impressive players ever.  Only he could make an album like Engines of Creation, and Borg Sex is one of the funkiest techno-guitar driven songs ever created.
It's a hootenanny!

betteroffdead

« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2004, 20:25 »

ok i'm just going to do the first 10 songs that come to me. not at all a definite list of my favourites.

our retired explorer- the weakerthans
i don't feel like typing the full title, but this is such a wonderful song. it's catchy and so sweet. it reminds me of winter and how much i love snow.

everlong- the foo fighters
so beautiful. love songs can indeed be rocking. breathe out, so i can breathe you in. hold you in

terminal annex- harvey danger
ah i adore this song. sean c nelson is the most amazing lyricist... his words just make me melt. this song is so wonderfully written. like a zero drowning in a sea of higher numbers, i remain as ever intrigued but no more astounded. god best simile ever

love is a place- metric
so simple, but has such an impact. beautiful lyrics, and her voice only adds to that

ha ha- mates of state
so catchy! ee makes me dance. but really like every mates of state song is my favourite...

hold- saves the day
probably the sweetest song i've ever heard. acoustic, emotional. gah

pitter patter goes my heart- broken social scene
ok it's a wicked close race between this and "anthems for a seventeen year old girl". but this just... really does make my heart race when i hear it. hard to explain why but something about those rising violins just catches me off guard and i have to catch my breath. gives me chills

debaser- the pixies
hell yes. my first and still fav pixies song. makes me dance around and sing and shout oo hoo hoo hoo

no one's little girl- the raincoats
yay catchiest violin melody ever. and just for that it's on here

those to come- the shins
so pretty... the soft beat reminds me of waves... makes me sway. the lyrics are also lovely

ok so that's it i guess... left so many out. no nirvana or reunion show or veruca salt or bright eyes or new pornographers... bleh.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
« Reply #18 on: 29 Dec 2004, 06:51 »

Okay, in no particular order:

Limp Bizkit: Boiler

THE best song they ever did, and I like LB. Raw emotion, right there. Crappy video, but the song gets me every time.

Pink Floyd: High Hopes

Purely for the piano/bell interplay.

The theme from "Schindler's List"

Not really a song, I know, but definitely hits my top ten regardless.

Fleetwood Mac: I'm So Afraid

My all-time favourite guitar solo, at it's best in the live version from "The Dance"

Fairport Convention: Matty Groves

At it's best on the album "Liege and Lief", a fantastic example of folk rock.

Metallica: No leaf clover

Not sure why. I just like it, I guess.

Eminem: Sing for the moment

I just love the lyrics.

that's seven... really, I can't think of more than that. when I do, they'll be added to the list.
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

captainawesome

« Reply #19 on: 29 Dec 2004, 07:25 »

Pedro the Lion - Winners Never Quit
Brandtson - Bricks and Windows
The Flaming Lips - Ego Tripping at the Gates of Hell
Jimmy Eat World - Goodbye Sky Harbor
Radiohead - Idioteque
TV on the Radio - Staring at the Sun
Elliott Smith - Waltz #2
Elliott Smith - A Distorted Reality is Now a Nessecity to be Free
Broken Social Scene - Almost Crimes (Radio Kills Remix)
Sage Francis - Crack Pipes

Ask me this same question tommorrow, and i'll probably give you ten completely different songs.  Except for the Elliott Smith ones.

Taste_of_blood

« Reply #20 on: 29 Dec 2004, 14:33 »

Well, in no particular order, here we go;

Goo Goo Dolls-Iris
It reminds me of being younger and dream's I had and knew even then would never come true. Also, both lyrically and musically it's breath-taking.

Staind-Epiphany
Lyrically this song is perfect... I can't express what this song's meant to me since I first heard it, it's not one of those ones that's necessarily helped me deal with anything, but it's been there.

Halo-Flatlined at 3am
They played this the first time I ever saw them, and it was when they played this that I fell in love with that band. It's incredibly melancholic and haunting, and I can't help but cry when I hear it. But more than that, my time as a Halo Boarder (only a select few fans gained the title, you couldn't just get it from going on the board) is a time that created some of my best memories.

Jimmy Eat World-Hear You Me
It was a lifeline.

Oasis-D'you Know What I Mean?
I just remember sitting with the TV on watching MTV with my older brothers, waiting to hear this song, just being excited about music, and being together.

Savage Garden-Truly Madly Deeply
Not neccessarily a great song, in fact it's production is insanely cheesy, but this is the song I fell in love to, it reminds me of my happiest moment ever, lying in a park in late Spring so the trees are full of blossom, not a cloud in the sky, and my then boyfriend telling me he could lie like that forever. It breaks my heart now, but it's nice to remind yourself that you can be that happy.

Figment-Mac The Knife
The first song by Figment that I specifically remember hearing, it knocked me for six. I guess I always knew there was talent there, I just never appreciated how much.

Meredith Brooks-Bitch
This is MY song, it's a superb chick-rocking anthem, but it was also the fist song I ever karaoked to and realised that maybe this rock singing thing was for me.

Snow Patrol-Run
Absolutely gorgeous melody and superb vocal performance.. I worked out a lot of anger and heartbreak by listening to this song when I finally bought the Snow Patrol album in November...

Remma-Worry Young
It made me cry the first time I heard it, its lyrics remind me so much of one of my best friends that it hurts...[/u]

QHD

« Reply #21 on: 29 Dec 2004, 17:20 »

Muse - Butterflies and Hurricanes
People laugh at me when I tell them this song is just ME - and that I live my life according to it - but screw them. Best, got to be the best, got to change the world and use this chance to be heard! I will. I promise you all.

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah
This song will be the soundtrack to my heart being broken. When that happens. Which may well be some time soon, I guess.

The Shins - Pressed in a Book
This song and this band taught me that I liked music. And I go see them every time they play in England. Too awesome for words. But no emotional attachment, really. I'm not actually a very emotional person. In fact, I lack emotion entirely. And I want to feel emotion because I want to be in love with the girl I saw this evening. I'll get a blog. NP.

Modest Mouse - Styrofoam Boots
Then some guy comes in lookin like everyone I ever seen, he moves just like crisco disco breath 100 per cent listerince, he says lookin at someone else but directin everythin to me, everytime anyone gets on their knees to pray well it makes my cellphone ring and i'll be damned, you were right... When I come out of the closet, it will be for Isaac Brook.

Capdown - Ska WarsI've got a feeling that sooner or later you're going to get what is coming to you. And I'll do my best to make it sooner not later. Yes, yes I will. See Butterflies and Hurricanes for cross-referencing. Awesome, huh?

The Eels - Fresh Feeling
This song was written about the one girl I nearly did fall in love with. And who gives me "feelings". If I play Hello by Lionel Richie and think about her, tears form in my eyes. They'd come out if I had less curvaceous eyelids.

The Decemberists - Angel Won't You Call Me?
though I am a lost cause
Angel, won't you call me?

Manic Street Preachers - If You Tolerate This
See Butterflies and Hurricanes and Ska Wars. The world kills me.

The Proclaimers - I would walk 500 miles

So many memories. So much truth. A group of friends I left behind, a terrible period in my life and unrelatedly, the realisation at Reading that strangers are not the enemy.

Tenacious D - Tribute
Jack Black taught me that awesome is a state of mind. This song taught me the alphabet.

SeanBateman

« Reply #22 on: 29 Dec 2004, 17:51 »

This is going to be harsh.

Hallelujah is NOT a fucking Jeff Buckley song! Nor is it a Rufus Wainwright song. Don't get me wrong. It's a fucking MARVELOUS song, but give credit where it's due. Leonard Cohen wrote this song. Leonard Cohen owns this song. Everyone else is imitating his brilliance. Check out his version.

Sorry for that. It just sort of gets my goat that so many people don't know that. If you did, and just like Jeff's version more, I apologize.

emor

« Reply #23 on: 29 Dec 2004, 19:01 »

Grass Skirt by All Girl Summer Fun Band
Bubblegum pop goes clapclap, clap and no one cannot love it.  And it's about grass skirts and why they rock, and that is a very true statement from a very good song.

You Killed a Boy For Me by Henry's Dress
More pop, but instead of bubblegum you have noisy fuzzy distortion.  When the song kicks into overdrive halfway through, it's like when a star explodes into the cosmos, only with more noise.  Rock!  For the car rides, gentlepeople!

Crayon by Manitoba
Hey, more pop, only this time it is neither bubblegum nor noisy, but kinda of dreamy and psychedelic, but no less delicious.  This song is basically childhood.

Don't Ask Me To Explain by Of Montreal
Okay everybody, this song starts out really good and is good for most of the time.  But then there's a crazy keyboard riff near the end and ya just gotta rock your heart out and dance your pain away.  Dangerous when driving, because once I rocked my glasses right off of my face!

Moon by the Microphones
Best love song ever?  Yes. It was intense just getting to be there next to you indeed.

We'll Make a Lover Out of You by Les Savy Fav
Best sex song ever?  Yes.  With excellent beats and guitars and drums and singing that moves the body in all good ways.

Tiny Apocalypse by David Byrne
Yeah, s'good.  I don't know what to say about this song other than: it's good, and you are too if you listen to it all of the time.

Doing the Standing Still by Dismemberment Plan
Just fucking dance and you'll be all right alright!

Watch the Water Roll Up by the Blow
Okay, does anybody not love drums like these?  They're sublime and you've got no free will in the matter! So give it up.

Boys You Won't Remember by the Wrens
Tortured resignation and self loathing, but fun to listen to anyways.

QHD

« Reply #24 on: 30 Dec 2004, 05:16 »

Quote from: SeanBateman
This is going to be harsh.

Hallelujah is NOT a fucking Jeff Buckley song! Nor is it a Rufus Wainwright song. Don't get me wrong. It's a fucking MARVELOUS song, but give credit where it's due. Leonard Cohen wrote this song. Leonard Cohen owns this song. Everyone else is imitating his brilliance. Check out his version.

Sorry for that. It just sort of gets my goat that so many people don't know that. If you did, and just like Jeff's version more, I apologize.

Apology accepted. :) People who actually don't know that annoy me too.

Hecuba

« Reply #25 on: 30 Dec 2004, 11:00 »

Oh, hell. I was just trying to do this last night, and it was insanely hard. Let's see...

R.E.M. - Nightswimming
This song makes me tear up almost every time I listen to it. The rippling piano line, Michael Stipe's gorgeous lyrics/vocals, the theme of nostalgia and everything eventually fading... sniff.

Lovage - Strangers on a Train
Gorgeous, swanky lounge-hop; Jennifer Charles's voice could bring anyone, man or woman, gay or straight, to their knees.

Emmylou Harris/Willie Nelson - Gulf Coast Highway
Emmylou Harris is a goddess, and when she's dueting with Willie Nelson- it's unbelievable. The lyrics are gorgeous as well, although maybe a bit cheesy to anyone who hasn't been raised on country.

Coldplay - The Scientist
Okay, this is my big guilty pleasure song. Even though it's mass-produced sentimential pap, I can't help but get all wibbly at the I was just guessin' at numbers and figures, pullin' the puzzles apart... line. Chris Martin's voice is gorgeous, and the piano line fits it perfectly.

the Magnetic Fields - Luckiest Guy on the Lower East Side
Being a rather unattractive lady myself, let's just say that I can relate.

Belle & Sebastian - She's Losing It
The best depiction of depression that I've seen in song, and one I can definitely relate to. She doesn't speak to anyone 'til four o' clock, she knows she's losin' it, oh yeah she's losin' it...

Ryan Adams - When The Stars Go Blue
Even though he's a complete asshole and I find most of his other music to be overrated, this song in particular has a lot of memories attached to it for me; also, it's just a great moody, late-night tune that gave me shivers the first time I heard it.

the Kinks - Waterloo Sunset
And they don't need no friends/as long as they gaze on Waterloo sunset, they are in paradise.

Bob Dylan - Sad-Eyed Lady of the Lowlands
C'mon, it's Dylan. Tied with 'Subterranean Homesick Blues', but I thought it wouldn't be fair to give Mr. Dylan two spots in the top ten (especially when R.E.M., my very favorite, only gets one).

Sparklehorse - King of Nails
Being a pretentious fucktard, I adore the lyrics. The toothless kiss of skeletons and summer hail, I'm the king of nails... the best thing about Sparklehorse is that they just don't sound like anything else I've ever heard.

Hon. Mentions: Dressy Bessy - I Saw Cinnamon
Radiohead - Climbing Up The Walls
Android Lust - Refuse
Belle & Sebastian - The Boy With The Arab Strap
the Moutain Goats - No Children
the Magnetic Fields - Papa Was A Rodeo
AFI - Days of the Phoenix
R.E.M. - Fall On Me
Enon - Window Display

...wow, making this list made me realize just how much wimpy acoustic indie rock I listen to.

betteroffdead

« Reply #26 on: 30 Dec 2004, 11:13 »

Quote from: emor
Grass Skirt by All Girl Summer Fun Band
Bubblegum pop goes clapclap, clap and no one cannot love it.  And it's about grass skirts and why they rock, and that is a very true statement from a very good song.

ahh i love that song! because yes, grass skirts do rock. especially when you need something cool to wear for you polynesian luau

victorisonfire

« Reply #27 on: 01 Jan 2005, 16:11 »

well here i go! :D

Modest Mouse - Bury me with it
I just love the chorus and the lyrics in general.  Awesome keyboard thingy in it too

Brand New - Last Chance to Lose your Keys
The lyrics are catchy!

The Fall of Troy - Ghostship pt 4
Great guitar and bass! Plus the vocals rock!

Deerhoof - Panda Panda Panda
Thanks to this comic i started listening to this song, haha! whats cooler than a song about pandas! :P

At the Drive-in - Sleepwalk Capsules
Just a powerful song!

wow i dont really have a top 10! eeee!

geoff

« Reply #28 on: 01 Jan 2005, 22:21 »

why do we have to have this thread every other day

Mercurial

« Reply #29 on: 01 Jan 2005, 23:13 »

because we all like recommendations a whole lot.  Or we hope other people will agree with our biases by saying the same thing.  I'm going with the first option, as I always try to remember stuff from these threads for future listening.

Mercurial

« Reply #30 on: 02 Jan 2005, 00:33 »

The top 10 songs I can think of right now:

Eels - Last Stop This Town
Someone else covered just why this song is so incredible in another thread.  This song had a huge effect on me when I was in a bit of a depressive period some years ago.  (I know, I probably shouldn't have been listening to Electro-Shock Blues depressed in the first place, but the few hopeful songs were so hopeful by comparison to the rest, that it actually really helped).

Silver Jews - Tenessee
The last song we played before turning off the radio transmitter at our station before I graduated.  And a great bit of songwriting throughout.  "Punk rock died when the first kid said...  Punk's not dead... Punk's not dead..."

LCD Soundsystem - Losing My Edge
To quote a friend's review: "A hipper-than-thou look at the hipper-than-thou".  The beauty of the song is that to fully get it, you have to be one of the types that the song is mocking.  Excellent.

Soul Coughing - Screenwriter's Blues
Not only does it remind me of the Cohen Brothers film "Barton Fink", the words are pure surrealist poetry, perfectly delivered, and the music works quite nicely.

Mountain Goats - Going to Georgia
Two unrelated reviews referred to this as "one of the best songs ever written".  And listening to the song, that doesn't sound misplaced.  Simple but effective.

Deerhoof - This Magnificent Bird Will Rise
Chaos and catchiness, perfectly balanced.  I like the little static solo bits created by playing around with the amp plugs while playing...

Grandaddy - Miner at the Dial-a-View
Not sure.  I just really love this song, for some reason.

Prefuse 73 - End of Biters/International
1:20 of pure, condensed amazing.  Prefuse has never mutilated hip-hop as agressively or effectively as he does here.

Black Box Recorder - English Motorway System
Ever hear a song once and love it immediately, but not catch the title or artist and have to spend years tracking it down?  And then when You finally find it, it's just as amazing, and the interceding period of mulling it over in your head has only made it that much better?  Yeah, that's what happened here.

Hrvatski - Vatstep DSP
This was one of my first forays into pure, destroy-everything-you-can IDM drum attacks.  Plus it has computer text-to-voice lyrics telling the story of Kid606 in a sort of Ragga accent.  And cat meow samples.  And about 8 distinct movements.  I love this song so much.  All of this was cemented when Hrvatski played at my college, and I was pushed into playing my first live show as opener...  Any other Hrvatski fans?

Venetian Snares - Einstein-Rosen Bridge *or* Dance Like You're Selling Nails
Who would ever have guessed that apocalyptic Drillnbass in 7/8 time could be so damn catchy.  It's like being bludgeoned with a tack-hammer in odd time signatures.  And loving every minute of it.

I think that that's 11, but I was underrepresenting the electronic stuff so I had to keep going...

IndieLoser17

« Reply #31 on: 05 Jan 2005, 09:33 »

~Rise Against~Swing life Away~ This song makes me think of my friend Sam and I really like it

The bells about to ring Im gonna have to write the rest later :)

BlueCoatKarma

« Reply #32 on: 05 Jan 2005, 09:55 »

Quote from: Mercurial
Soul Coughing - Screenwriter's Blues
Not only does it remind me of the Cohen Brothers film "Barton Fink", the words are pure surrealist poetry, perfectly delivered, and the music works quite nicely.

Yeah! I always forget how phenomenally good that song is.

ozzi

« Reply #33 on: 05 Jan 2005, 10:48 »

everlong- foo fighters
saint john the divine- ted leo and the pharmicists
respect is due- the dismemberment plan
maps- the yeah yeah yeahs
juras finish first- jurassic five
needle in the hay- elliot smith
stella was a diver and she was always down- interpol
super powers- the dismemeberment plan
im ready, i am- the format
ever me and every you- placebo

BlueCoatKarma

« Reply #34 on: 05 Jan 2005, 11:27 »

It's weird, in writing this I was realizing how different my top songs list is from the music I listen to most. Ten songs is really hard. I guess it's because I move from band to band within the "indie genre", enjoying a lot of it (some of not so much) but maintaining my favorite songs, mostly among stuff I was listening to before I got into indie.

NOTE: When naming my favorite songs, we innevitably come to the "admission" that I listen to musicals. Which seems kinda weird, even to me, considering the rest of my music taste. So before you laugh, try listening to them, and read the justifications.

"3rd Planet" - Modest Mouse
This was one of the first Modest Mouse songs I heard. Personally, I prefer The Moon and Antarctica over The Lonesome West, and this song is part of why. It still has some catchy-ness to its structure left, but it's far from the "verse-chorus-verse" tradition. The music rocks, the lyrics rock, and watching people try to sing along to its weird rhythms is fun.

"Where Is My Mind" - Pixies
Remember the end of Fight Club? This song fits it so perfectly. The "oooh ooooh" and the blurred guitar... the music is so great. The Pixies are awesome, and this is a great song with an almost anthemic quality. I have a lot of good memories associated with it too.

"The Stars of Track and Field" - Belle & Sebastian
The low key lyrics are matched perfectly by quiet instrumentation. The way this song rises and falls demonstrates the power of dynamics, which I think are largely forgotten in too much of today's music (not to mention breaking away from the "constantly soft" tone Belle & Sebastian are known for).

"Baby Britain" - Elliot Smith
This song has amazing lyrics. It clearly draws a lot of inspiration from the Beatles, but there are very few out there who would consider that a bad influence. Elliot Smith was clearly the master of this subdued, aching, remorseful, folk-esque style. This song is an exercise in contrast - painful lyrics in a style that is, for him, much more upbeat than usual.

"The Laws Have Changed" - The New Pornographers
This is pop perfection. Catchy, upbeat... it has everything you could ever want in a pop song and none of that whiny, overdone quality so familiar to us in this era. There are a lot of great tracks like this on Electric Version (and Mass Romantic), this one just manages to get ahead of the rest.

"Rent" - from "Rent" (Jonathan Larson)
This is the first real "song" in Rent. It is already clear after the first five seconds of the show that this musical will be a bit different, but this is the first time you really know how. Even in the studio-recorded version with the original cast, this song has more energy in it than in any other song I've heard. It is extremely dynamic, extremely rockin', and totally raw. Brilliant medly. In opera terms, this is recitative. It sets up the entire show, and it does so in the most charged way possible.

"Defying Gravity" - from "Wicked" (Stephen Schwartz)
The important thing about this song is that it's performed by Idina Menzel. There are numerous fantastic moments in this show. Out of these, most are notes she hits perfectly. Two of these are in "The Wizard And I", which is a fantastic song but not on here because I can only pick 10. The final one is at the end of this song, which concludes the first act. When she launches in to "So if you care to find me/ Look to the Western sky..." you start shivering from the sheer intensity of her voice and the raw emotion. When she hits the final notes (which are just "ahh"s, no words) it is what I consider the single most beautiful note ever sung. That single note is enough to put this on the list. Additionally, this song is just really fucking good.

"Cut Your Hair" - Pavement
This is a great song. There are some traditional pop elements, and then fantastically distorted and feed-backed guitar work for contrast. The song's lyrics aren't pretentious - they attack the scene from a humorous perspective.

"Paranoid Android" - Radiohead
This was also on my "two songs people should listen to" list (if two songs can be called a list). Radiohead should be on this list more often, probably. They're my favorite band, after all. Anyway, this song (like I said) demonstrates their talent and diversity. Considering it's strange lyrics and the difficulty of deciphering what Thom says, it is suprisingly catchy. All the different aspects of this song are perfectly combined, and the different movements have a logical progression that makes it stand above many of their other songs.

"Autumn Sweater" - Yo La Tengo
This song has a subtle and refined quality to it that I really like. Yo La Tengo in general are awesome, but this song is truly outstanding. It's a remarkable mix of light lyrics with slightly heavier instrumentation. The repetitive quality of this song does nothing to tarnish the unique quality of its percussion and the vamps that lead seemlessly into each verse.

loyalpeon

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #35 on: 06 Jan 2005, 08:33 »

a few things before i dish out my own 10

Quote from: SeanBateman

excuse the pun, but halle-fucking-lujah my brother - someone had to say that.

rynne - great topic. i thought i recognised that avatar from somewhere though hehe - it took me the longest of times to trace it to PI :) – oh, and I really really liked the orbital track you picked – hadn’t heard it before

anyways… let’s see what I can come up with. Shall we start at the very beginning? Bear with me if you will :)

Nine Inch Nails – Piggy
the first step. A little bit of a backdrop first. I liked this girl and at the time the Downward Spiral was pretty much all she was listening to. One thing led to another and I gave it a listen.
Piggy was playing the time. One of the most simplistically beautiful songs I had ever heard. Within a few weeks I had become a NIN addict :). Almost 6 year onwards and Trent is still hands down one of my favourite musicians. Mind you, nothing ever happened with the girl.

Tool – Eulogy
so, I start listening to NIN, and I started hanging out on this NIN forum, PI or something hehe (in which I’ve posted maybe a grand total of like 10 times or so in 6 years – though to which I feel very indebted)… looking for something new to get my hands onto. I was just browsing through the recommendation and came across this Tool. I bought their AEnima album on a hunch and by the second song Eulogy I couldn’t wait for more. Layered guitar, poignant lyrics and one of the best drummers ever (along with the guy who plays for the next band)

Smashing Pumpkins – Try Try Try
this song kinda completes the cycle. I was just messing around with mtv 2 open in the background and this videoclip came on. I think I actually went out and bought two of the Pumpkins albums the very next day after have tried a few downloads that night. Oh that voice! And that guitar! Not enough superlatives to describe…

Nine Inch Nails - Hurt
apart from being an amazing display of emotional lyrics, and perhaps deserving a place in this list just on that ground alone, this is the most erotic song I know of. It evokes an image which is quite sublime.

Leonard Cohen – Waiting for the Miracle
“I was born like this, I had no choice, I was born with the gift of a golden voice? Yes. And a voice that can mould words into seeming altars to language itself. Poetry, sheer remorseless poetry.
I put on Natural Born Killers and was stunned as this song played on in the first scene. Incidentally, you have love the soundtrack to this movie (hail to the chief)

Those are the, um… shall we say seminal songs. The rest are here due to beauty and perfection.

David Gray – Falling Free
“All of my senses overthrown // by the might of your skin // and the lamplight on your cheek bone // drawing me further in // no sentence I can speak // for the wonder so unique // breaking like a wave upon the shore // mercy me, I'm falling free // since you opened up the door

and if every window pane should shatter // if every wall should fall apart // well it might hurt a bit but would it matter // with this diamond in my heart // there's no need to nail it to the ground // there's no need to smother it with sense // just listen to the rhythm of your heart // that pounds and trust it all to chance // 'cause we're standing face to face // with the Angel of grace //and don't it just taste so pure?

Mogwai – Mogwai Fears Satan
this song just overwhelms me. I would try to describe, but it is beyond me.

Leonard Cohen – Chelsea Hotel #2
“I remember you well in the Chelsea Hotel // you were famous, your heart was a legend. // You told me again you preferred handsome men // but for me you would make an exception. // And clenching your fist for the ones like us // who are oppressed by the figures of beauty, // you fixed yourself, you said, ‘Well never mind,
we are ugly but we have the music.’?

Gomez – Rosalita
“Darling, though you hurt me // It’s not from my lack of trying // You’ve got a fear of flying high // You have lost your patience // I see myself sink in your estimations
Forget the salutations // Just please study these tears // Your bitter words they just confirm my fears // Gonna let it fuck up all the years // Yet I will not need you more than now?

Foo Fighters - Everlong & Radiohead – Street Spirit
these two songs go hand in hand to me for some reason (to cheat maybe). Both amazing constructions
So I gave the cookies you made to Fawn and the kids, and they couldn't believe it. They were delicious. But I digress... Tremble, puny Earthlings! One day my race will destroy you all!

arkturus

« Reply #36 on: 06 Jan 2005, 16:25 »

Oh God, no fuckin' way I can pick my top 10 favorite songs of all time.

I made a huge list and narrowed it down to 14. It'd kill me to take 4 more off this list.

Alice in Chains - No Excuses
This is a pretty somber but overall uplifting song by Alice in Chains, an otherwise caustic and gloomy band. It's instantly memorable, touchingly performed, sentimental but not cheesy, and just ...one that I hold close to my heart. It has gotten me through some rough times.

Arcade Fire - Neighborhood #2 (Laika)
What a heartbreaking song. It's about suicide, and I'm not suicidal at all, but the emotion in this song is just dizzying. Also, the performances by Win and Regine are just so incredibly nuanced...wow.

Beck - Lazy Flies
This song isn't epic or anything, it's just a really fun and trippy little number. It's really laid-back and I can just sit and listen to this song and let my mind wander. Also, the chord progressions rule.

Dillinger Escape Plan - 43% Burnt
Fucking intense. Astonishing performances throughout, crazy jazz breaks and some of the most enraging and technical hardcore you'll ever hear. I fucking love the chaos.

Isis - So Did We
So Did We owns anything off of Oceanic for sheer memorability factor. The pacing is absolutely perfect in this song; the guitar is absolutely beautiful. It has astounding atmosphere and great vocals.

Nick Drake - Time Has Told Me
This song is also very somber and mellow. The emotion is so ubiquitous it's almost tangible, and Nick Drake's voice is ethereal and engraciating. The instruments build perfectly into a satisfying climax.

Judas Priest - Painkiller
Everything about this song is so fucking metal!!!! Aw man! Best metal song ever! Fuckin' killer drum intro, badass vocals, face-kicking lyrics, like 29389 guitar solos, another drum outro with more screaming and lots of crashing, urethra-rupturing riffs...aaaahhhh! Metal!!!!

Wilco - Jesus, etc.
Quite a stretch from Painkiller, eh? This was the first Wilco song ever heard and its country-diner aesthetic immediately piqued my yearning ear. Jeff Tweedy's vocals are appropriately scratchy and the whole song feels very jaded but touching.

Pig Destroyer - Hymn
This is the angriest song ever written. While listening to it I imagine some misfit who got pushed around and abused and badly mistreated in his youth, and finally some punkass comes and lays down the final straw. The kid goes fucking berserk, pulls out a bazooka and blasts a crowd of people, then proceeds to throw some frenzied punches at the offending namecaller while shedding some very violent tears. Blood ensues. This song rapes everyone.

Pink Floyd - Shine on You Crazy Diamond (both parts)
I love the jazz and the rock and the progression and the emotion and everything about this! If you don't know what it's like... well, it's Pink Floyd. Listen to it. It fuckin' rules.

Kreator - When The Sun Burns Red
This is like the thrash metal version of Painkiller. Everything about it thrashes so fucking hard. Great acoustic guitar intro leading to a big basket full of bloody brilliant riffs, kickass raspy vocals with a really cool German accent, cool metal lyrics, a fuckin' awesome solo...well, yeah. It's the thrash version of Painkiller, basically.

Pain of Salvation - People Passing By
The most beautiful and amazing prog metal song ever written. Daniel Gildenlow always shines in the vocal department and this song is no exception. He's one of the most evocative vocalists like ever. Also, the instrumentation manages to be technical, emotional, and astonishingly beautiful. There is a break around 5 minutes into the song that just floors me every time I hear it.

Rush - Tom Sawyer
As soon as I heard the cool keyboard intro to this song I knew it was a winner. Really badass vocals from Geddy Lee, some great keyboard riffs, thick and satisfying guitar tone, and THE BEST drum fills ever. I have memorized all the drums to this song even if I can't play them.

Megadeth - Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
This song is a great melodic/progressive thrash piece. Rust in Peace is one of the best thrash album ever and its opener is totally killer. Great guitars (riffs and solos) and some very clean production, as well as great progressing song structure make for a fucking incredible song. It's much less boring than my description.

And I hate to name-drop so profusely, but I also hate to snub songs I love, so here are the other contenders that didn't quite make the list:
maudlin of the Well - Ferocious Weights
Arcturus - For To End Yet Again
The Mars Volta - Inertiatic ESP
Radiohead - My Iron Lung
Pixies - Debaser
Coheed and Cambria - The Camper Velourium part 2: Backend of Forever
Belle and Sebastian - Asleep on a Sunbeam
Fiery Furnaces - Blueberry Boat
Yes - Heart of the Sunrise
Sondre Lerche - Two Way Monologue
Opeth - Wreath
Aphex Twin - Flim
Mr. Bungle - Pink Cigarette
Dntel - Anywhere Anyone
Strapping Young Lad - Dirt Pride
Modest Mouse - Float On
Modest Mouse - The Stars are Projectors
Candlemass - Dark are the Veils of Death
The Who - Behind Blue Eyes
A.C. Newman - On the Table
The New Pornographers - The Laws Have Changed
The Flaming Lips - One More Robot/Sympathy 3000-21
The Flaming Lips - Buggin'
Queen - Bicycle Race
Beck - The New Pollution
Alice in Chains - Dam That River
Bjork - Hunter
Cibo Matto - Sugar Water
Cake - The Distance
Freezepop - Stakeout
King Crimson - Indiscipline
King Crimson - 21st Century Schizoid Man
Estradasphere - Hardball
Radiohead - Paranoid Android
Radiohead - Everything in its Right Place
Isis - Maritime
A Perfect Circle - Rose
King Crimson - I Talk to the Wind
Sigur Ros - Untitled 4
The Who - Baba O'Riley
Rush - Entré Nous
Rush - Freewill
Tool - Hooker with a Penis
Tool - Ticks & Leeches
Dungen - Panda
Radiohead - Let Down

Morokrat

« Reply #37 on: 06 Jan 2005, 16:54 »

hmm...let's give it a try...

10: Meat Loaf-Bat out of Hell
-this is the one song that paved the way for my taste in musics...thanks, man.

9: Mark Knopfler-Sailing to Philadelphia
-my nr.1 song to chill...it's just calm, moody and just right to put me into this almost transcedent state known as "chilling"

8: dropkick murphys-rocky road to dublin
-my favourite irish folk-song punked up? me looooooove

7: The Ramones-Rockaway Beach
-this song simply expresses everything i like about this band...it's careless, funny, simple and simply enjoyable to listen to while doing you homework or just about anything else...ramones can enhance your life^^

6: Georg Kreisler- Als der Zirkus in Flammen stand
-although it may not be known to many and is certainly lost upon my generation, this song is one cynic piece of musical comedy. though the artist himself hates to be referred to as a cynic, this just about sums up a cynical view on everyday affairs, combined with a critical attempt to describe the "gaffermentalität"(sorry, just don't know how to translate it...just imagine the urge of having to stare at terrible accidents and take joy in witnessing it, then you pretty much have it)

5: Flogging Molly- The Rare Oul' Times
-once again, a great piece of irish music(though i wouldn't call this one folk) being musically enhanced by some talented band...if you don't know them, you're missing quite a musical experience

4: Blind Guardian- The Soulforged
-now, where should i start here...corals, metal, melody, great lyrics...just can't explain the magic that this piece of fine melodic metal works upon me

3: Ska-P- Romero el Madero
let me hear a big whooo for ska-p. those great spanish musicians simply deserve it. as for languages such as italian or spanish, which are second to nothing when sung, they weave this together with melodies deriving from polka or spanish heritage and thus create, especially with this song, a musical madness.

2:Trans-Siberian-Orchestra-Mad Russian Christmas
once again, my affinity for classical influenced music becomes apparent.
but this song simply hits the spot, using tschaikowsky's melodies to create an athmosphere of absolute bombastic energy. especially considering the virtuous usage of electric guitars at about 2 minutes and then again near the end, which makes the guitars sound as if they were violins, this song shows what this great orchestra is capable of.

AND THE WINNER IS: Flogging Molly-To Youth
-irish folkpunk brought to it's best(by, ironically enough, an american band ^^), this here is so great i just can't say anything concrete about it. i simply suggest you listen to it.

BlueCoatKarma

« Reply #38 on: 07 Jan 2005, 09:00 »

...OMIGOD! He had the strength (?) to number them! I can barely even pick the top ten, and he just out and numbers his?

Good show sir.

CammyKnoxville

« Reply #39 on: 07 Jan 2005, 10:54 »

Wow, only 10????

Well, here are my current top 10 songs (In no order)

Green Day- Jesus of Suburbia
When I first listened to Green Day's American Idiot, I was totally blown away.  In my opinion the came away with another great CD.  This song is one of the great songs on the CD because of the way it was put together with all the different parts.  My favorite part is the chanting, it always makes me want to throw up a fist in the air and sing along.

Dropkick Murphys- The Dirty Glass
Dropkick Murphys style of irish folk/punk has always mesmorised me, perhaps thats why I saw them in concert 3 times in one year.  I love this song because it perfectly describes my relationship I had with this one girl, whose name was also Darcy.  It was kinda creepy, but I love it.

Anti-Flag- Got The Numbers
Anti-Flag is my favorite band of all time.  Period.  I enjoy this song especially because its saying 'Fuck the system, we got our own army'.  If you ever want to see a good show and get into political punk and all that jazz, I highly recommend Anti-Flag.  

The Faint- Desperate Guys
I saw these guys in concert recently, and I was dancing the whole time.  I can totally relate to this song, with the feeling of not even trying to ask a girl because I knew I wouldn't stand a chance.  The rest of their album is as good as Danse Macabre, and then some.  Way to go guys!

NOFX- Franco-UnAmerican
If you just listen to the whole song you can agree that the whole world is going to hell because of the desicions by our Dumbass of a President.  The song almost covers every topic.  Message of the song?  Move to Cananda or Australia.  Oh yea, and also get rid of Bush.  

Motion City Soundtrack- My Favorite Accident
Another song I can relate too; girl dumps me right before she can really get to know me.  I also enjoy the style the song moves too.  Another good song by them is Capital H, which I think should be in a Smallville episode.

The Arcade Fire- Une Annee Sans Lumiere
Its such a calm and soothing song.  I've just recently gotten into The Arcade Fire, and so far, I like what I hear.  If I can see them in concert, I'll be a happy boy.

The Aquabats- Super Rad
All systems go!  The Aquabats always have fun, upbeat songs that make you want to dance and sing along too.  Super Rad was their first really big hit on the radio, and its just soo catchy.  Go to an Aquabats concert next time you can, you won't regret it.

Against Me!- Sink, Florida, Sink (Electric)
The thing I really like about this song is the way it sounds; good.  Its a catchy sing-your-heart-out-into-the-mic song.  This song will always get me into a happy mood whenever I feel gloomy.  

Ozma- In Search Of 1988
If you've never heard of Ozma, get up, go to the record store, and buy everything by them.  In Search Of 1988 will bring you back some memories of 1988 and 1987.  All the energy in the song supplies me with energy whenever I have a listen to it.  Very good album too.

Runner Up's:
Iron & Wine- Such Great Heights
AFI- Malleus Maleficarum
The Sweet- Ballroom Blitz
Green Day- American Idiot

Thats all folks!

3Z3VH

• FIGHT YOU
  • WoSaT
    • http://www.everlan.net
« Reply #40 on: 07 Jan 2005, 11:00 »

Quote from: CammyKnoxville

The Arcade Fire- Une Annee Sans Lumiere

What an awesome song title... a bit emo, but awesome.

For those who don't speak french, it is called "A Year Without Light."

Only reason I know that is I had a girl I was really into who is French Canadian, and she motivated me to learn some French
With every small decision: if you change a heart, you change the world.

Rune

« Reply #41 on: 07 Jan 2005, 18:52 »

Anti-Flag in concert continuously amazes me. They have the most energetic crowd I've EVER seen (the Trocadero Theatre itself became a pit -- not just a small section. I literally went from one end to the other in seconds.) and they do a damn good job themselves up there.

Hmm, to sum up everything in 10 songs is really tough, but I'll give it a shot.

Unsung Zeroes - Transmission

A beautiful song -- I transcribed the lyrics for it by hand the first time I heard it (I heard it before the cd it's on, of course.) It basically summed up some of what I was feeling at the time, and it's just a powerful song in general.

Five Iron Frenzy - Every New Day

Specifically here I'm referring to the version on the live disc of their last show. I get chills when I listen to it -- he puts every bit of emotion into the very religious part at the end. And then he comes back afterward and the entire crowd starts singing Amazing Grace...well, it is amazing.

Tori Amos - Precious Things

It precedes one of my dear ex's favorite songs on the album (Winter), and it's a beautiful song. In addition to that, there's actually a very hard-to-hear bass line at a couple points in the song that I didn't discover until after seeing her play it live, making it fresh and new again for me for a while. My best friend and I used to play this cd on the half hour ride home every once in a while and we'd sing songs at the top of our lungs. This was one of them.

The Juliana Theory - August In Bethany

This is a beautiful song. It's honesty at it's greatest -- and it's also the epitome of what I think of as emo. Again, I have emotional attachments to this song.

Stabbing Westward - Waking Up Beside You

This is one of my favorite songs to play. It changes a lot from its standard industrial-rock to acoustic guitar, but after hearing an acoustic version I just had to play it for myself. It was the first song I played and sang in front of a group, and it also sort of reminds me of a certain ex.

Bright Eyes - False Advertising

I've gotten a bit into waltzs after taking part as a waltzer at a debutant ball. One, two, three, one, two, three... I don't think I can listen to Blue Danube without recalling some painful memories, but this is another fun waltz. Plus, I like some of the creative things he does with it.

Further Seems Forever - Just Until Sundown

Just one more moment and we'll be alright... the way I felt about someone for the longest time, even though I knew we couldn't make it work (after all, we'd tried two years previously...). It's another beautiful song, and one I'm working to transpose to piano to play eventually.

The Cure - Just Like Heaven

The Cure at one of their best times, I think. It's actually a happy song, and it's fun and bouncy. It's songs like this that help me to enjoy the music of the time period. Plus, I'm a sucker for good synth when applied to rock.

The Tea Party - Heaven Coming Down

This song led me to acquire both Tangents and Triptych from Canada. They're my only import cds as of now, but they were both worth it. One was a gift from a Canadian friend, and the other I found as an import. They're both excellent cds, and they both host this incredible song.

Elliott - Calvary Song

About once a week, I find myself driving down a lonely highway late at night. Sometimes when I'm doing this, I get into the far right lane, drive a little under the speed limit, and I roll down all my windows. I put the heat on full, especially in the winter. And I put on Elliott's False Cathedrals as loud as I can. When I do this, I just think -- about everything, and about nothing. It's exhilarating.

There's a runner-up that I'd like to mention, but I didn't feel it appropriate above.

Built In A Day - New Light Rising

This song holds a special place in my heart, mainly for the people who performed it. I wrote the song and the lyrics about breaking up with my most recent ex (which went extremely poorly). It was recorded on a crappy IBM laptop and we did all the editing itself. It came out pretty crappily in the long run, but it was good for the tools we had. I played guitar, my good friend played bass, another friend did the drum-loops, and a friend who I had a crush on at the time did the vocals. Our goal was to do the song entirely on the computer, with the only non-computer parts being the two instuments and a microphone for the vocals. It kinda worked, and we learned how we could do it better. Sadly, I don't think I've ever heard this song played live yet -- I'm working to fix that. I'm also considering rerecording it on my own for something I'm planning to release.

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #42 on: 09 Jan 2005, 19:42 »

Ancient Rites-(Ode to Ancient) Europa

A truly amazing band, by any standard raised, with a really unique and wonderful political stance. Ancient Rites is, in basic terms, Liberal European Nationalist music: it contains no hate, no nastiness, just wonderfully politically incorrect pride. ode to Ancient Europa is their ultimate hymn in praise of everything Europeans have ever achieved and everything that they traditionally stand for as national values. And yet it's not racist. It's a unique product in a world where caucasians are so  limited by convention and shame that to be proud to be caucasian is to be on the same level of Hitler. Ancient Rites proclaim boldly that pride does not have to mean hate, and they do it in a very powerful way. It's bombastic, and it's a little bit silly, but it's also, in many ways, quite glorious.

Skyclad-Polkageist!

This song doesn't just play with the english language, it pulls it into a full Nelson and holds it until it submits. The wonderfully atmospheric fiddle and guitar music backs lyrics so packed with alliteration, similes, puns, euphemisms, internal rhymes and rhythm that it just drips off the tongue. The backing melody is just lovely as well. It's beautifully playful and fun, and by the time the band cries together "Polkagiest is in the House!" you're hooked. I could literally play this song on repeat for days without getting tired of it.

3 Inches of Blood-Deadly Sinners

Sometimes you just have to go over the top. And when you do, it's best to do it in style. This is style. It's loud, insane and has lots of references to mighty metal warriors slaying posers. Brill ^^.

Immortal-Damned in Black

There is something about REALLY good black metal that is impossible to really describe without sounding like a complete and utter inarticulate twat. Writing a proper summary of this song would be impossible without using phrases like "drumming like legions of Panzer tanks crushing the skulls of their enemies beneath their immense steel treads", "moans like the howls of blizzards unleashed from the very depths of hell itself" and "atmosphere that could freeze your very soul and shatter it like a billion shards of inexecrable pain" so I won't even try.

Therion-To Mega Therion

Wha? Heavy metal with a full orchestra, choir and classically trained solo vocalists? It could either be awful or amazing. It's amazing.

Type O Negative-Black #1

It's funny, it's sarcastic, it mocks all the right cliches in all right ways, and it's got the silliest chorus ever (Which expounds on the dilemma of not being able to venture outside on a rainy day because your roots are showing, needing to be dyed black black black black number one). When you know the story behind it (It's basically a revenge song against the singers ex-ubergothic girlfriend, hence the 'loving you was like loving the dead' part). The message is: don't take it all too seriously.

Inkubus Sukkubus-Vampyre Erotica

It's the love song of a vampire dominatrix. It's pagan, and it's beautiful, it's cheesy, it's gothy, it's upbeat, it's got a drum machine and it's really, really kinky.  'nuff said. IS are the ONLY people I will let get away with the spelling 'Vampyre' without mockery.

Finntroll-Försvinn Du Som Lyser (Begone Ye Who Shine)

It's an acoustic polka song. An acoustic polka song about driving Christians from Scandinavia. With black metal vocals. It's insane and very, very fun. you could dance around to it very easily indeed, and it's a great sing along, both the main part, and all the other band members going "Oi! Oi! Oi!", "Humpaa! Humpaa!" "Yaaaaahoooooo!" etc. in the background, laughing, stamping their feet, clapping along etc. It's simply wonderful.

Edge of Sanity-Enigma

It's the song that invented progressive death metal. Plain and simple. It's a wild, insane aberration of philosophy and religious angst on an album otherwise full of songs about zombies. It's got four distinctive 'characters', violin, organ, choral singing and very raw and brutal death metal. It's also got some of the best riffs ever to grace a song. (I'm thinking of the slow chorus riff mainly, my fucking GOD that's a riff to envy.) It's also worth noting that it was written in it's entirety by a seventeen year old Swede, who also sung a good thee quarters of it and played half the guitar leads. How many seventeen year old NATIVE British speakers know what the words 'Unguiculated' or 'Panegyration' mean? His name is Dan Swano, and he. is. a. genius.

Apocalyptica-Beyond Time

DEAR GOD! What are these people doing? Are they insane? They're playing heavy metal on Cellos? How can you do that? How the HELL can a cello of all things be so heavy and simultaneously so beautiful? This string quartet from Finland started out playing Metallica covers before graduating to writing their own material, of which this and the songs 'Path' and 'Path 2' are the most superior examples. This song somehow managed to fit both parts of their name. It's beyond time, and it's so apocalyptic. It's the world ending by water. It's mournful and utterly powerful.

The list misses of tons of course: Looking back over it I can't believe that Amorphis-Drowned Maid, Cradle of Filth-Queen of Winter Throned, Pink Floyd-Echoes, London After Midnight-Where Good Girls Go to Die, :wumpscut:-Soylent Green, Ministry-Jesus Built My Hotrod or any countless other number of songs aren't on there, but those are the first ten I thought of and there they do stay.
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio
Pages: [1]   Go Up