THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New York in spring  (Read 5584 times)

Aimless

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Untss untss untss untss
New York in spring
« on: 22 Nov 2014, 16:14 »

I have successfully suppressed my paranoia long enough to book a trip to the Stora Äpplet early next April and as usual I'd be grateful for any tips you may have for places to go, things to see/do/eat/touch :o if you had just one day to spend there, what would you do?

We'll be there for almost a week and mostly just thinking of hanging out and maybe seeing shows so if anyone's in town and up for grabbing a beer or the new York equivalent holla (or the New  York equivalent)
Sometimes I think, sometimes I am

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
Re: New York in spring
« Reply #1 on: 22 Nov 2014, 16:27 »

I think the New York equivalent to beer is coffee.

Aimless

« Reply #2 on: 22 Nov 2014, 16:33 »

A pint of that then!

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #3 on: 22 Nov 2014, 18:01 »

In no particular order:

-- See who's playing in town that week (bands)
-- See what's playing at the Angelika
-- Go to at least one of the following: the Met, the MoMA, the Guggenheim
-- Spend some time loafing in Central Park and on the High Line, just 'cause they're lovely
-- If you have ANY interest at all in photography, pack extra batteries and memory cards. Between people (pretty much everywhere) and architecture (besides the iconic structures like the NYPL, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, et. al., you could spend your whole week just on architectural photography)
-- If it's still there, the Tibetan restaurant on Houston near the Bowery Ballroom is quite good
-- Do not, under any circumstances, let anyone convince you to get a sandwich at the Carnegie Deli. The pastrami at Katz's is better.
-- If, on the other hand, you're not into meat, there are some great vegetarian and vegan places around Union Square.
-- Corollary 1 to the above point: If walking through Union Square Park, you will be given approximately one ream of flyers, and asked to sign roughly 57 petitions.
-- Corollary 2 to the above point: If you are in the area of Union Square, you really should go to Forbidden Planet and The Strand, the former for its graphic novel and geek paraphernalia selection, and the latter for a selection of books that more than makes up for the mostly ineffectual staff.
-- No visit to New York is complete without buying food from a dodgy-looking grease truck. If you're a vegetarian, don't despair; there are also dodgy-looking vegetarian options as well (and I'm sure there's some kind of app for finding them)
-- If you're looking for antiques in New York, the best place to look is New Jersey or the Hudson Valley region of NY. As with everything else in NYC, antiques sell far above what they should.

Will add more as I think of it.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #4 on: 22 Nov 2014, 18:17 »

Oh, and:

New York City is NOT the United States. Just so you know. 90% of the country hates NYC.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #5 on: 22 Nov 2014, 18:36 »

Oh, and:

New York City is NOT the United States. Just so you know. 90% of the country hates NYC.

They tend to hate the tri-state generally. They certainly have no problem with our tax dollars underwriting their state assistance, disaster relief, farm subsidies, etc., however.

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2014/05/which-states-are-givers-and-which-are-takers/361668/

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #6 on: 22 Nov 2014, 18:41 »

I've only been to NYC once, but I tell everyone to go to the Cloisters. It's probably the most beautiful place Manhattan has to offer, but do it near the end when you've got a lot of city impulses. It'll be a nice break from the noise.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #7 on: 22 Nov 2014, 18:51 »

I've only been to NYC once, but I tell everyone to go to the Cloisters. It's probably the most beautiful place Manhattan has to offer, but do it near the end when you've got a lot of city impulses. It'll be a nice break from the noise.

I always forget the Cloisters, probably because it's such an oasis of quiet that I forget it's part of the city. It really is lovely.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #8 on: 23 Nov 2014, 04:02 »

-- Corollary 1 [...]
Are you another mathematician? (Just because the only people I hear use the word "Corollary" in everyday conversation are all fellow mathematicians.)

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #9 on: 23 Nov 2014, 05:49 »

I always forget the Cloisters, probably because it's such an oasis of quiet that I forget it's part of the city. It really is lovely.

Thirded. It's amazing.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #10 on: 23 Nov 2014, 08:59 »

-- Corollary 1 [...]
Are you another mathematician? (Just because the only people I hear use the word "Corollary" in everyday conversation are all fellow mathematicians.)

Nope. Majored in literature. Anything beyond algebra leaves me twitchy.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #11 on: 23 Nov 2014, 09:05 »

My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #12 on: 23 Nov 2014, 09:12 »

I recommend the Frick Museum, as well as everything else mentioned.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #13 on: 23 Nov 2014, 12:30 »

I recommend the Frick Museum, as well as everything else mentioned.

The Frick and the Whitney are both on my to-do list. I'm more into early Modern, but the Frick's just one of those places you have to go at least once.

The American Museum of Natural History is also worth a visit. Depending on what kind of transportation you've got, there's also a few sculpture gardens outside the city (Grounds for Sculpture in Hamilton, NJ, and the Storm King Museum in New Windsor/Mountainville, NY.

Oh, and cemeteries (if you're into that sort of thing -- I am). The big ones are in Queens and Brooklyn, with some smaller ones dotted throughout Manhattan. Here again, if you can get out of the city, Sleepy Hollow Cemetery (in Tarrytown, not too far from the Rockefeller estate) is flat-out awesome.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #14 on: 23 Nov 2014, 22:18 »

Oh, and:

Nah, those of us from California don't really hate NY, we just look down upon everyone else.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #15 on: 24 Nov 2014, 13:28 »

I'll fourth the Cloisters because I lived in NYC for 4 years and never made it there myself!! I'll live vicariously through you :-P

Union Square is fun! St. Mark's place is a feast for the eyes- so many funky little shops and an interesting crowd. Near there is one of my favorite spots to eat- Saint's Alp Teahouse. Everything is absolutely delicious and really cheap! Plus, they make the best bubble tea I've ever had.

Dylan's Candy Bar on the upper east side is pretty great too. Pricey...but so much fun to wander around! 3 floors worth of candy.   :-o

MoMA might be my favorite museum of all time but MoSex is pretty great too. As is the Natural History Museum, The Met, etc, etc, etc. Honestly? Whatever you're into, there's probably a museum in or near the city for it.
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.

Fig

• Curry sauce
  • Lord of the Sith
« Reply #16 on: 24 Nov 2014, 13:54 »

I've been to NYC twice in my life, both were for school trips.  Got to see two different shows on Broadway (Stomp and The Lion King [OMG so awesome.]) so if you're into that kind of stuff, I suggest trying to get one in.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.  Through passion I gain strength.  Through strength, power.  Through power, victory.  Through victory, my chains are broken.  The force shall set me free.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #17 on: 24 Nov 2014, 22:26 »

Definitely St. Mark's, just so a few years from now you can say you saw it before gentrification ruined it. :P

Re: plays, try the TKTS kiosk on Times Square (be prepared to stand in line forever), or look at stuff off-Broadway.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #18 on: 24 Nov 2014, 22:41 »

If you get anxiety in large crowds like me, every place is bad, hooray! I would just suggest driving as little as possible, I damn near killed everyone in my car the one time I drove in Manhattan (bad night, girlfriend got super mad, said all her friends hated me... we still had sex after, strangely, but I digress). There's supposed to be an elevated garden walkway in (the Bronx? I think?), which sounded awesome. It was converted from a raised train I think.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #19 on: 24 Nov 2014, 22:51 »

If you get anxiety in large crowds like me, every place is bad, hooray! I would just suggest driving as little as possible, I damn near killed everyone in my car the one time I drove in Manhattan (bad night, girlfriend got super mad, said all her friends hated me... we still had sex after, strangely, but I digress). There's supposed to be an elevated garden walkway in (the Bronx? I think?), which sounded awesome. It was converted from a raised train I think.

You're thinking of the High Line. It's in Manhattan.

https://www.thehighline.org/

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #20 on: 24 Nov 2014, 23:00 »

That's an appropriate name, I like it. The inner environmentalist in me wants to go, urban gardens kick so much ass.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #21 on: 25 Nov 2014, 09:01 »

That's an appropriate name, I like it. The inner environmentalist in me wants to go, urban gardens kick so much ass.

It's really thoughtfully done. I haven't been there since before they opened the new extension... have to check it out again.

Aimless

« Reply #22 on: 01 Feb 2015, 05:37 »

Just booked 7 nights at this little hotel instead of going with Airbnb:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60763-d217627-Reviews-or10-Belnord_Hotel-New_York_City_New_York.html#REVIEWS

it seems to have the best combination of our most desired features and we stumbled across a pretty good deal :)

Application was approved so now we just have to make a reasonably busy but still relaxed and flexible itinerary. The High Line and the Cloisters are on the list along with some other things from this thread while the list of amazing restaurants is growing ever less manageable :o

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #23 on: 01 Feb 2015, 13:14 »

I'm going to add one more stop -- a short one -- to your itinerary. If you do the High Line, go to Blue Bottle Coffee. I think they have a location in/on the park itself, and there's another one very close by in Chelsea (on West 15th). VERY good coffee.

lepetitfromage

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
  • addicted to the shindig
« Reply #24 on: 02 Feb 2015, 11:12 »

Oooh, I have another suggestion! QC forum meetup?  :wink:
If you try to take all the steps at once, you'll fall over.
Pages: [1]   Go Up