THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 02:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Well, Valentine's Day is Past! What now?

The Domesticity of Marten, Faye, Claire and Pintsize
- 8 (9.6%)
The Talk, Phase 2
- 10 (12%)
Faye meets Keeper Hannelore
- 6 (7.2%)
Sam: "Come on! I need your help!"
- 1 (1.2%)
Dora Does Guilt-Trip
- 24 (28.9%)
Tai has no boudaries about employees' personal lives
- 13 (15.7%)
Clinton and Emily's "date" (because that's still happening, AFAIK)
- 21 (25.3%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: 18 Feb 2015, 08:09

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2897 - 2901 (16-20 February 2015)  (Read 91002 times)

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
Re: WCDT 2897 - 2901 (16-20 February 2015)
« Reply #550 on: 19 Feb 2015, 21:15 »

Jesus! How do people pull these up so quickly! I've read through QC 3 times, but you can be damned sure I don't remember the backgrounds!

We spend time howling at the backgrounds.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #551 on: 19 Feb 2015, 21:32 »

they're almost to the library, but I really hope we're not in for a week of Tai squeeing over them yet again.  Like Aziraphale says, please be coda.

...although if Claire really thought it was a good idea to wear Marten's shirt into the library, I suppose we have no other option.  Pintsize probably decided to take revenge on Marten's LOOOOOM by calling Tai himself.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Meilu

• Plantmonster
« Reply #552 on: 19 Feb 2015, 21:34 »

Okay, who *hasn't* howled at a wolf video or a werewolf film?  Show of hands, please.

(crickets)

I'll be the odd one out. [raising hand]

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #553 on: 19 Feb 2015, 21:34 »

I don't know why, but the prospect of Oddly Serene Emily weirds me out even more than Strangely Zen Marten.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #554 on: 19 Feb 2015, 21:36 »

Jesus! How do people pull these up so quickly! I've read through QC 3 times, but you can be damned sure I don't remember the backgrounds!

Howl do we do it? We wolf down the comic every day, then when we see a background again the memory dogs us until we hound out the source.  :clairedoge:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #555 on: 19 Feb 2015, 21:37 »

I bet you're pretty proud of that one
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #556 on: 19 Feb 2015, 21:38 »

Howl do we do it? We wolf down the comic every day, then when we see a background again the memory dogs us until we hound out the source.  :clairedoge:

I think you've got the warp and woof of it about right.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #557 on: 19 Feb 2015, 22:14 »

Monday's strip, if we must:

Claire and Marten pause in front of the library doors.  Claire smacks her forehead, looking exasperated.
CLAIRE: "Shit!"
MARTEN (concerned): "What?"
CLAIRE: "I'm wearing your shirt!  So much for professionalism.  Tai's gonna have a field day with this..."
MARTEN: "Do you want to go home and change?  I can cover for you--"
CLAIRE: "No, too late now.  Just follow my lead, okay?"
Claire walks through the doors, chin up.  She meets Tai's eyes for a moment, then starts dancing.  Marten follows.
Tai's head explodes.
fin

The good news is, the next few weeks of strips will then focus on Dora, as she tries to deal with firing Faye and losing her girlfriend in the space of just a few days.  I think it could work.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #558 on: 19 Feb 2015, 22:58 »

New angles on these, probably.

And dangit, the direct comparison to the third panel and todays last panel has me missing Magic Claire Hair again.

But on the plus side, Arms Race!

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #559 on: 19 Feb 2015, 23:02 »

And dangit, the direct comparison to the third panel and todays last panel has me missing Magic Claire Hair again.

It's not a comparison, it's literally the same background, just zoomed in slightly, look at the tree.
<edit> same with panel 1 and 4.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Khazgar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #560 on: 19 Feb 2015, 23:03 »

So today's strip has something for everyone - Marten and Claire, but no-one being or doing anything particularly cute AND the potential for future drama. Maybe we can all calm down for the weekend now?

I'd be interested to know people's opinions on the cast's reactions to Claire coming out. Someone suggested that Faye might have an adverse reaction, but I'm not sure if I see that. To be honest, I don't think I could see anyone react badly to this, as certainly none of the inner circle have showed any prejudice in the past. But maybe I'm wrong...

I also want to see how Dora is coping, but Marten and Claire have to go to work, and Tai exploding in happiness over the two of them would be so much in character for her, so maybe we have to brace ourselves for Monday...

Indicible

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Jaegermonster impersonator
« Reply #561 on: 19 Feb 2015, 23:11 »

I too growl along metal videos. Even more when they are about wolves. Does that make me as weird as Emily?
Signature OF DOOM!

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #562 on: 19 Feb 2015, 23:13 »

Metals songs about wolves are pretty fucking metal.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
Mistakes, ahoy!

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #564 on: 19 Feb 2015, 23:22 »

Here is a conundrum for you. How can you tell if a person who normally is weird is acting weird? Is it "bluer than usual today"? Or "she's acting normal... that's weird!" In Emily's case, the answer is, of course, "grapefruit".

This may just be me but I'm sensing a trajectory here to these three strips that, to a greater or lesser extent, allude to Claire's trans status. I'm thinking that she's going to be outed to someone by mistake or someone will guess, Marten or Emily will confirm and, either way, there will be an awkward morning at the library. I'm thinking Tai who may, unintentionally, push boundaries tactlessly in an attempt to appear accepting. Tai then possibly sets off a chain reaction by talking to Dora without permission.

Actually, I could see Dora saying something rude upon being told what's up.

Yes, Dora may have a specific issue regarding Marten dating a trans-woman, no matter how non-serious the issue seemed to me at the time. We all know Dora has a reserve of insecurity and, even though Marten was kidding, Dora might still remember and fret on whether it was a cause of problems between them.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Khazgar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #565 on: 19 Feb 2015, 23:36 »

And since Dora is currently struggling with her guilt feelings at firing Faye AND trying to work out how to run her business without her assisstant manager...I could see her making some comment without thinking about it. Maybe Dora will be the next breakdown!

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #566 on: 19 Feb 2015, 23:46 »

Ok, just in case you needed a top level for weirdness of things to howl to:

(click to show/hide)

Here is a conundrum for you. How can you tell if a person who normally is weird is acting weird? Is it "bluer than usual today"? Or "she's acting normal... that's weird!" In Emily's case, the answer is, of course, "grapefruit".

Please define, that could mean "irresponsible amounts of wine" too. I've seen that happen (The "weird because wine" part that is).

Outside of that, I don't see much to comment about this comic, just classic QC with a new couple up front. It's nice to see that every now and again.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #567 on: 20 Feb 2015, 00:13 »

So today's strip has something for everyone - Marten and Claire, but no-one being or doing anything particularly cute AND the potential for future drama. Maybe we can all calm down for the weekend now?

I don't know, Emily howling at wolves sounds pretty cute.

I'd be interested to know people's opinions on the cast's reactions to Claire coming out. Someone suggested that Faye might have an adverse reaction, but I'm not sure if I see that.

I can imagine Faye having a crude reaction to it, but probably not a intentionally negative one.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #568 on: 20 Feb 2015, 00:38 »

The Andrea James link called it rarely used.

There's an easy way to settle it though. Find some people who were members of that community back then and ask. Given the number of trans people on the forum there must be a few, non?

Zoe?
Not me. I'm still not a member of a "trans community" even if one exists here. Never have been.

The first reference to Zissexualismus is from 1919 I believe, so is roughly contemporary with Transsexual. Neither word was in common use until later, but Transsexual came into common parlance long before Cissexual. I'd not heard the latter term 10 years ago, but it was as obvious in both derivation and need for a term as Intrasex is, as the opposite of Intersex.

"Intrasex" is rarely used too. Heck, many people still haven't heard of "Intersex".

Cisvestitismus was used even earlier, 1914. It's sorta obvious.

Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Khazgar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #569 on: 20 Feb 2015, 00:44 »

For those that don't speak German...

Cisvestistmus: the inclination to put on clothes of another age group, class or profession of the same sex with the aim of sexual recreation. Related to transvestism. (See dressing urge).

Give me a few minutes to translate the other bit  :-)

Khazgar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #570 on: 20 Feb 2015, 00:53 »

And the bit by Doc Burchard, doctor for mental and nervous disorders...

Lexicon of the complete sexual life.

...this lets one person ruin their own health in foolish ignorance, another consume themselves self-tormentingly in unnecessary delusions and scruples and many other people do gross injustices to their fellow men (and of course women) out of blind prejudice.

If this short writ can free some people from needless worry and others from needless prejudice, then it has fulfilled its goal.

Berlin, Easter 1914.

Pretty damn progressive for that time. That doctor sounds like a really good guy.

PS: You're welcome  :-)

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #571 on: 20 Feb 2015, 01:00 »

Danke Schoen.

BTW - if anyone feels uncomfy if I use the word "Intrasex" to describe "not Intersex", just say. I have no wish to see the cis/trans kerfuffle repeated. I'll continue to use it in technical writings, but not in a social context like this forum. There's a time to stand on one's rights, and a time to say "Meh" and not cause offense unless necessary. Small stuff should be unsweated, and we have bigger fish to fry. Like stopping Intersex kids from being surgically assigned a sex that doesn't fit, purely for the convenience of others.

Now as this really belongs in "DISCUSS", back to the comic.

Emily's weirdness is recursive.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Doc

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #572 on: 20 Feb 2015, 01:29 »

Howling along with the wolves on YouTube is not weird!

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #573 on: 20 Feb 2015, 01:34 »

Howling along with the wolves on YouTube is not weird!

It's a social animal thing, I think. In my admittedly small circle, I don't know anyone who hasn't felt the instinctual need to howl along with the wolves. I just think that Emily has fewer or no blocks about following her impulses.
~~~~

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #574 on: 20 Feb 2015, 01:52 »

Zoe, for one part that excerpt you've shown here is great from the contentual side, and for the other part, that typeface is gorgeous and I need to find out more about it… I have some strange hobbies…

But one remark about the translation: the word the goodly doctor uses ("sexuelle Entspannung") is not "sexual recreation", but rather "sexual relaxation", which I find pretty interesting. Also he speaks of "Mitmenschen", which rather means "fellow human" than "fellow man (or woman)".
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Khazgar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #575 on: 20 Feb 2015, 02:38 »

@ ankhtahr  - I agree that "fellow human" is a better translation than "fellow man or woman" - here German just has the better word IMO.

However I'm going to stick with my guns with recreation here, especially as it's possible to translate the word as relaxation and as recreation. When you do something sexy, are you looking to relax or have fun? Both are possible of course, but when I want sexytimes I don't equate it with relaxing much. Relaxing comes after ;)

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #576 on: 20 Feb 2015, 02:44 »

It can be both when you're playing bottom. I mean, it'd be polite to help, but that's not the point...

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #577 on: 20 Feb 2015, 03:56 »

Back to topic and just to repeat my predictions up-thread:
  • We're being set up for Claire to be accidentally outed to someone, most probably Tai (who may have already guessed that Claire is a trans-woman because she's met some before but innocent Emily will blurt it out to her, upsetting Emily more than Claire);
  • Possibly a small amount of drama about Claireten, more based on jealous insecurity than prejudice, on the part of Dora.
I'd also like for some strips with Hannelore sitting down with Faye and them comparing their 'my life sucks' stories. Faye may find hope that a woman who once needed a bewildering array of anti-psychotics and anti-depressants to be anything but a mindless, screaming shell tied to a bed in a padded cell has been able to fight her way to the point where she is mostly-functional with far less medication. If Hannelore can climb such a mountain, perhaps Faye will be able to learn to live without the crutch of alcohol's buzz.
~~~~

CM_albion

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #578 on: 20 Feb 2015, 04:27 »

Back to topic and just to repeat my predictions up-thread:
  • We're being set up for Claire to be accidentally outed to someone, most probably Tai (who may have already guessed that Claire is a trans-woman because she's met some before but innocent Emily will blurt it out to her, upsetting Emily more than Claire);

i'm almost wondering if circumstances will lead to Marten and Claire at Tai's rave orgy, perhaps to "protect the library" in Claire's "BOOKS=SRS BSNS" mindset.
while their a drunken student is going to mistake her for a party goer, ask her why she isn't nude for the orgy yet and in a good natured way "help" by yanking her trousers down, in front of every.

maybe going too far for jeph, but it's a possible scenario[/list]

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #579 on: 20 Feb 2015, 05:05 »

i'm almost wondering if circumstances will lead to Marten and Claire at Tai's rave orgy, perhaps to "protect the library" in Claire's "BOOKS=SRS BSNS" mindset.
    while their a drunken student is going to mistake her for a party goer, ask her why she isn't nude for the orgy yet and in a good natured way "help" by yanking her trousers down, in front of every.

maybe going too far for jeph, but it's a possible scenario[/list]

Short answer: No.

Long answer: NO NO NO NO NO.

I hope that helps.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
    • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
    « Reply #580 on: 20 Feb 2015, 05:09 »

And I'm pretty sure even Tai's boundaries would basically result in that person being shunned, even if the victim were cis.

And I reaaaaaallllly doubt that Jeph would go anywhere near there.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #581 on: 20 Feb 2015, 05:10 »

Replies like that are why I'm glad you're around, Gladstone.
    Mistakes, ahoy!

Gladstone

• The Tickler
    « Reply #582 on: 20 Feb 2015, 05:27 »

Jeph has pretty firmly stated that he's not going to use Claire's trans status as drama, which means no accidental outings.  Word of God.  Should be a no-brainer.

And I really can't see him digging up strip 1300 to justify Dora's response.  "But Marten, many months ago I voiced a weird insecurity about not having a penis which was never addressed again, and now I find out you're dating a girl who may or may not have one!" Nope.  Nope nope nope again, in 24-point font.

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
    « Reply #583 on: 20 Feb 2015, 05:29 »

Yeah, Gladstone is definitely right. Jeph wouldn't do that AT ALL.
    What do you know about Pokémon?

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #584 on: 20 Feb 2015, 05:35 »

Eh, regarding the Dora thing, I was more thinking a bit of short verbal sparring that's resolved a strip or two later more than world-shaking drama. The word was "rude" not "bridges burning in the distance".
    Mistakes, ahoy!

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
    • Grammar is not half as important as clarity.
    « Reply #585 on: 20 Feb 2015, 05:59 »

The Andrea James link called it rarely used.

There's an easy way to settle it though. Find some people who were members of that community back then and ask. Given the number of trans people on the forum there must be a few, non?

Zoe?
    Not me. I'm still not a member of a "trans community" even if one exists here. Never have been.

The first reference to Zissexualismus is from 1919 I believe, so is roughly contemporary with Transsexual. Neither word was in common use until later, but Transsexual came into common parlance long before Cissexual. I'd not heard the latter term 10 years ago, but it was as obvious in both derivation and need for a term as Intrasex is, as the opposite of Intersex.

"Intrasex" is rarely used too. Heck, many people still haven't heard of "Intersex".

Cisvestitismus was used even earlier, 1914. It's sorta obvious.

I seem to recall first coming across the term "intersex" in a Judith Butler book. Butler being notoriously difficult, I didn't fully understand the concept. I've never heard of intrasex. Can anyone define?

BenRG

• coprophage
    « Reply #586 on: 20 Feb 2015, 06:10 »

Eh, regarding the Dora thing, I was more thinking a bit of short verbal sparring that's resolved a strip or two later more than world-shaking drama. The word was "rude" not "bridges burning in the distance".

This is Dora we're talking about. She doesn't do 'limited'; of late the nuclear option has been her only option. That said, I could see her treating it as a joke and offending Marten because of that.

Regarding the 'accidental outing', I think that too many people seemed to think that CM_Albion's suggestion is the only way to do it. My idea was something like this: Tai is teasing Claire about wearing Marten's shirt (clinched at the back with safety pins so it doesn't hang off of her). Emily gets excited and, in an unguarded moment (possibly even thinking that she's defending Claire) blurts out that, of course Claire can wear boy's clothes; didn't she used to be a boy? There is a horrified dialogue-free box of Claire, Tai and Marten staring in shock at a deer-in-the-headlights Emily. Then Tai says: "Yeah, I worked that out for myself but it isn't the sort of thing you should just blurt out in public you know, Ms Azuma." The last panel is Emily running off, tears streaming down her cheeks.

The focus actually would be Emily and why she is how she is; Claire would go to find her because she's actually worried about what Emily might do thinking that it would make things 'better'. Then then have a reconciliation which is similar in some ways to the scene when Claire comes out to Emily and in which we learn more of Emily's back-story. It would run parallel in Marten getting clarification from Tai about how she knew (that only needs to be a single strip). At the end of the sequence, Claire tells Emily that she's like the baby sister she's always wanted but never had and it's impossible for her to stay mad at her. Emily has the last word by saying something cute but otherworldly about families.

Off topic: I've just been over to the Subreddit. There is a long thread criticising Jeph for dissing them on Twitter and they're basically saying saying that he owes them. In fact, some are so angry that they're swearing off of QC because they can't tolerate the artist not liking their opinions. One or two are even trying to work out if a Subreddit-group boycott of QC would ruin Jeph and thus punish him for his disrespect. There was also the usual spiel about the strip having become boring.

Additionally, according to at least two posters, these forums are a moderator-heavy place dominated by sycophants where no seriously discussion of Claireten or the character of Claire is permitted. I actually consider that quite funny.
    ~~~~

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
    • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    « Reply #587 on: 20 Feb 2015, 06:12 »

I don't see Dora freaking out about Marten dating Claire because of those girl-with-a-penis comments. A) that was a long time ago. B) Dora knew even then that it was a crazy fear because of her insecurities over relationships. C) Dora knows what the breakup was about... her insecurities over relationships. D) Dora has a girlfriend now who she has shown nothing but happiness with and is in general more calm about her relationship fears these days. And finally E) She's been actively trying to push Marten back into the dating pool again of late.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
    « Reply #588 on: 20 Feb 2015, 06:19 »

are these new backgrounds?

Edit: And panel 1 shows up in the last panel of 2366.

Now and then, Jeph will do a background that is not just modeled on but practically a google street view of downtown Northampton, which is always surreal to me. The best example of this that I can recall is the one where Angus gets SCORNED!!!. Dune-style. It happens on a clearly identifiable side street near the local townie pub and the best music venue in town (Iron Horse).

There's one that's clearly right at the intersection of King St. & Main, too, but I can't remember which arc it happens in. Possibly when Tai gets her junk pierced.

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
    « Reply #589 on: 20 Feb 2015, 06:41 »

Why is howling along with wolves any weirder than singing along with people? (I occasionally howl at my dogs to see - and hear - their reactions....)

Kiloku

• Not quite a lurker
    « Reply #590 on: 20 Feb 2015, 06:46 »

My Archive-Fu is terrible. When did Claire come out to Emily?

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
    • Has a fucked-up browser history
      • Cesium Comics
    « Reply #591 on: 20 Feb 2015, 06:52 »

The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
    • -
    « Reply #592 on: 20 Feb 2015, 07:19 »

I seem to recall first coming across the term "intersex" in a Judith Butler book. Butler being notoriously difficult, I didn't fully understand the concept. I've never heard of intrasex. Can anyone define?
    Glad you asked.
    There's a wiki article on the subject that's pretty good.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex

The legal definition in Australia - which I'll quote since I and many others came up with it as something we could all live with, even if imperfect:
    An intersex person may have the biological attributes of both sexes or lack some of the biological attributes considered necessary to be defined as one or the other sex. Intersex is always congenital and can originate from genetic, chromosomal or hormonal variations. Environmental influences such as endocrine disruptors can also play a role in some intersex differences. People who are intersex may identify their gender as male, female or X

I for example identify as female. Convenient, as I'm being treated for "severe androgenisation of a non-pregnant woman".

Intra is the opposite prefix to Inter. Thus someone who is not Intersex is Intrasex. Meaning they have the biological attributes, and all of the biological attributes, of one sex or the other, not both, not neither. The case for most (98.3%) humans on the planet.

For more, see the relevant pages in the DISCUSS thread.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
    « Reply #593 on: 20 Feb 2015, 07:22 »

Glad you asked.

The legal definition in Australia - which I'll quote since I and many others came up with it as something we could all live with, even if imperfect:
    An intersex person may have the biological attributes of both sexes or lack some of the biological attributes considered necessary to be defined as one or the other sex. Intersex is always congenital and can originate from genetic, chromosomal or hormonal variations. Environmental influences such as endocrine disruptors can also play a role in some intersex differences. People who are intersex may identify their gender as male, female or X

I for example identify as female. Convenient, as I'm being treated for "severe androgenisation of a non-pregnant woman".

Intra is the opposite prefix to Inter. Thus someone who is not Intersex is Intrasex. Meaning they have the biological attributes, and all of the biological attributes, of one sex or the other, not both, not neither. The case for most (98.3%) humans on the planet.

I'm glad you posted that. All I found for intrasex was sexual selection, and it didn't sound applicable at all.

aphanisis81

• Furry furrier
    « Reply #594 on: 20 Feb 2015, 07:29 »

Glad you asked.

I'm glad you posted that. All I found for intrasex was sexual selection, and it didn't sound applicable at all.

Thanks! So to summarize, both terms are biological, not identity-based? And intra- is essentially what we mean when we talk about normative gender/sex organ arrangements?

eschaton

• Furry furrier
    « Reply #595 on: 20 Feb 2015, 07:43 »

I don't see Dora freaking out about Marten dating Claire because of those girl-with-a-penis comments. A) that was a long time ago. B) Dora knew even then that it was a crazy fear because of her insecurities over relationships. C) Dora knows what the breakup was about... her insecurities over relationships. D) Dora has a girlfriend now who she has shown nothing but happiness with and is in general more calm about her relationship fears these days. And finally E) She's been actively trying to push Marten back into the dating pool again of late.

To be fair, I *could* see Dora being a bit peeved because it's been established that Marten is pretty vanilla in bed, and she'll (wrongly) think that dating Claire means he was actually holding out on some kinky aspect of his personality or something.

For a lot of people, jumping to the conclusion you're dating a particular "kind" of person because of their characteristics, rather than who they are, is second nature sadly.  I'm white, and years ago had a black girlfriend.  You wouldn't believe the number of people who jumped to the conclusion I was with her because I wanted to see what a black woman was like in bed.  It was pretty nastily both racist and sexist. 

zioninavision

• Plantmonster
    • pi is basically 3 ; 1 and 4 do not round up
    « Reply #596 on: 20 Feb 2015, 07:51 »

If Jeph has a cold or is disappointed about something, nothing too serious but a bit, in the future we should send him videos of us howling along to wolves howling through twitter en masse.  :)

no one special

• Curry sauce
    • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
    « Reply #597 on: 20 Feb 2015, 07:58 »

6. Explaining these things is getting really, really old.

Ummm... tough?

Look, I've been around here for a long, long time.  Back in the day, the WCDT never got that long, there weren't that many of us and you could just talk about something simply and not have to repeat yourself.  But times have changed. The comic is more popular than ever, and there are a ton more people in the WCDT.  On top of that, there's never been a topic like this that's had to be broached so many different ways.  When every WCDT is 15 pages long, the more casual observers aren't going to read the whole thing - they're just gonna jump in when they can.  Just how it goes.  Your job's gotten tougher, granted - but ya gotta keep fostering discussion.  That's part of the deal, ya know?    Shutting people down isn't really going to help. 

Why not just put up a sticky?  That way, people can refer to that. 
    Quote from: Kai
    if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
    • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
    « Reply #598 on: 20 Feb 2015, 08:04 »

Do you mean like the stickies that are already up about the subject, that nobody reads or pays attention to?

no one special

• Curry sauce
    • I been rockin' this brainslug since I was like, 5.
    « Reply #599 on: 20 Feb 2015, 08:06 »

I've never been in a relationship that immediately had problems, otherwise I probably wouldn't have dated that person.

...and then there are those of us who have chosen, for some damn reason, to tough it out for almost 2 years...

*sigh*
    Quote from: Kai
    if I was making music I would want to be able to eat. If you download it, at least like, make me a fucking sandwich or send me some pop tarts or something.
    Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up