No! I read it at first but it is too slow-moving to keep my interest
- 1 (1%)
No! I was never interested in it.
- 0 (0%)
Yes, but I only read it in batches so that I can follow the story better
- 22 (21.4%)

Total Members Voted: 93

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: How Many Are Reading Alice Grove?  (Read 67465 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
How Many Are Reading Alice Grove?
« on: 17 Feb 2015, 03:32 »

Alice Grove definitely has a smaller readership than QC but I'd be interested in finding out how many of those on the board are actually reading it (as I know that only a relatively tiny proportion of readers will comment on the forums).

Please answer the poll above and, if you answer any of the 'no' categories, please specify why.

Thanks in advance!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Wildroses

• Larger than most fish
Re: How Many Are Reading Alice Grove?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Feb 2015, 03:48 »

My mother was reading it right from the start, but I made a deliberate decision to not pick it up for a few months just so by the time I did pick it up I wouldn't have to wait for ages to get an idea of the story/setting/characters. I don't regret the decision. I was content to go to a two updates a week schedule when I did pick it up.

In fact it was Alice Grove rather than Questionable Content which lured me back to the forums. There is a lot more mystery and emphasis on plot in Alice Grove, so for me it is a lot more fun to discuss and see what theories other people have.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2 on: 17 Feb 2015, 03:57 »

Note that there is no official forum for Alice Grove as there is for QC.  Although I have added it here so that Jeph could make a URL and link for Alice Grove readers to join us, he has not done this, so the readers will be under-represented here by an unknowable amount.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #3 on: 17 Feb 2015, 06:57 »

To add to what pwhodges said, I think that only readers of Alice Grove will venture into this subforum. Of course, one can still count the forum members that read AG this way, I just don't expect there to be (m)any responses on the 'No' side of things.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #4 on: 17 Feb 2015, 07:24 »

No no no.. I don't read it. I don't refresh my brower repeatedly, hoping for extra pages to slip by. I don't go off on long speculations about the world, the characters, or the story. Nope, that's not me at all...

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #5 on: 17 Feb 2015, 07:26 »

I'm reading it although I'm not talking about it in the comic discussion thread.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #6 on: 17 Feb 2015, 07:31 »

I read it but can't vote in any poll because Tapatalk sucks in that regard.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #7 on: 17 Feb 2015, 07:35 »

This poll really should be in the QC section...

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #8 on: 17 Feb 2015, 12:33 »

Reading QC is merely a habit for me now, it's just there in my RSS feed among 30+ other webcomics, and Alice Grove looked interesting so I just slapped it onto my feed.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #9 on: 17 Feb 2015, 13:09 »

Hah, you forgot one option: I like to read Alice Grove, but the pace is, to put it mildly, glacial. I'd rather have a storyline I can follow and get into in a few hours/days instead of waiting for months, so I don't check it every time a comic is published but every few weeks or so.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #10 on: 17 Feb 2015, 13:21 »

Dohohoho. If you think Alice Grove updates at a glacial pace you obviously haven't been reading many webcomics.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #11 on: 17 Feb 2015, 13:28 »

It's update schedule is slower than QC, and the storytelling pace is also slower.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2015, 13:42 »

Most webcomics I read are on a 2-3 updates a week schedule. Many are also on a once a week schedule. Then there's nerf-this! which is apparently on a monthly schedule which makes me so so mad. But anyway, it's in line with most webcomics. People who make a living off of webcomics usually do post 3-5 times a week (sometimes more, as with Willis and now Jeph by adding this comic), but there are also people who do this who make fewer comics a week (like Dave Barrack, though many of his updates are double updates).

Wait... what was my point? ... um.... oh yes, this is fairly typical as far as webcomics go.

ADDITION!: especially science fiction ones which often need a lot of exposition
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #13 on: 17 Feb 2015, 15:17 »

Slow?  What about Dresden Codak?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #14 on: 17 Feb 2015, 15:26 »

Please answer the poll above and, if you answer any of the 'no' categories, please specify why.

Maybe add a second "Yes" vote, something like "Yes, but only because Jeph is writing it/because it's there/etc.," because that one "Yes" option sounds more enthusiastic than I actually am.  I mean, AG is good, I like it, whatever, but I'm not totally hooked and I probably wouldn't bother reading on if I wasn't a fan of Jeph's work already.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

ysth

• capital eszet
« Reply #15 on: 17 Feb 2015, 16:12 »

Slow?  What about Dresden Codak?

Slow?  What about f8d?  Or better yet, ELER?

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #16 on: 17 Feb 2015, 18:50 »

I actually wish I'd waited to read it. I like the writing and everything, but the pacing drives me nuts... I'm not very patient when it comes to waiting for new installments of stuff.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 17 Feb 2015, 19:12 »

Yeah, The Lounge is updating, but grass grows faster.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #18 on: 18 Feb 2015, 10:07 »

Wow, I did not think that this would get into an argument about who has the most patience with webcomics. Yes, also read slow comics, but there I don' t check every installment but wait a few weeks until I can read the storyline, the scene, in full. Otherwise I'm getting frustrated with it

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #19 on: 19 Feb 2015, 06:28 »

I find the concept and execution of the poll hilarious, in a Pythonesque satire of modern management / bureaucratic methodology.

ex.

Government official walks into cemetery.
Good morning everyone, I am here today to verify a citizens complaint that this area is full of dead people.
All those who are dead please raise your hands.
Nobody?
Okay, that's that then, I'm off.
*grumbles* Bloody waste of time.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

dexeron

• Obscure cultural reference
    • My Twitter
« Reply #20 on: 19 Feb 2015, 07:02 »

Yeah, I don't think anyone who doesn't read Alice Grove would even bother coming into this sub-forum.

The poll makes me think of the articles this week about how NC State Senator Jeff Jackson spent the snow day a few day's back (when he was the only legislator present in the building) tweeting about how he was passing all of this sweeping legislation unanimously, and how he defeated his own filibuster by leaving the room to get a drink of water.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #21 on: 19 Feb 2015, 07:21 »

Oh, I never come into this subforum (or any subforum), I do all my browsing from the Recent Unread Topics link. If I didn't read Alice Grove I'd still have noticed the topic.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #22 on: 23 Feb 2015, 13:46 »

I read it because I'm here for qc anyway, may as well click it. I don't think I would otherwise. At best it might be something I check out after a year, after some comics have piled up. Bottom line, it just doesn't update enough.

Really I think if it was Alice that updated 4-5 times a week and QC 2 or 3 they'd both be better comics. But I do kinda recognize that'd be financial suicide.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 23 Feb 2015, 14:22 »

There are probably more Readers than Forumites than we realise.

Look at how many new Members we've picked up just with the Claire/Marten thing in QC alone.
James The Kugai 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #24 on: 23 Feb 2015, 15:21 »

But have we picked up a single member who reads Alice Grove and not QC?  Officially there is no Alice Grove forum, and no way for readers to know about this one.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 23 Feb 2015, 21:44 »

True enough.

Unless Jeph mentions there's a Sub-forum here for the Comic, and I ain't taking any bets on that happening.
James The Kugai 

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #26 on: 02 Mar 2015, 08:54 »

What Jeph has to say about how many people read Alice Grove: https://twitter.com/jephjacques/status/572439352040538113
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

rfrank dodelijk

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #27 on: 03 Mar 2015, 08:45 »

i've stopped reading it because it is insubstantial rubbish and a huge disappointment compared to what the author occasionally manages with qc.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 03 Mar 2015, 14:07 »

Your loss
James The Kugai 

rfrank dodelijk

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #29 on: 03 Mar 2015, 16:10 »

you're right, it is. I really wanted it to be good. perhaps I expected too much.

eschaton

• Furry furrier
« Reply #30 on: 03 Mar 2015, 18:34 »

you're right, it is. I really wanted it to be good. perhaps I expected too much.

I'm not sure I'd be as rude about it, but so far I have to agree.  Going through the issues.

1.  There is nothing remotely funny in the comic.  Ardent occasionally says something which could theoretically be mildly amusing, but certainly it doesn't make me laugh out loud. 
2.  So far, there has been very little characterization.  We could summarize what we know about each of the three main characters in perhaps one or two sentences.  Everyone so far hs been pretty unlikable too, so it's not even as if I want to get to know them better. 
3.  The plot, such as it is, is unwinding very very slowly.

There are good elements.  I like what Jeph is doing artistically in some of the strips a great deal.  And the world itself is a bit of a mystery - I'm intrigued to find out more. 

But really, so far, I'm just clicking through hoping the pace will pick up somewhat.  It's been slow going so far. 

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #31 on: 03 Mar 2015, 19:01 »

Here's a thought exercise, of sorts: if you're disappointed in AG, how much of that is on the comic's own merits, and how much of that disappointment stems from what the comic is, or isn't, relative to QC? When I first discovered QC a couple of years back, it took me a few tries to get past the first couple hundred strips; the storytelling, and especially the art, were nowhere near as developed as they'd eventually become. Had I given up instead of finally plowing through, I'd have missed out on some good storytelling.

I suspect that the pacing of this is part of what's putting people off; the fact that it's not a gag-based slice of life comic like QC may also be a drawback for some. If you're new to it, it' s not like it takes long to get through the archives, and it's still very early in the story yet... the story and characters are still developing and maturing. But from the standpoint of the art and the story, this one's off to a much better start than QC was. I think it's early yet to pass judgment, but at the same time, I can't help but be encouraged both by what I've seen so far, and also because Jeph has generally been willing to change things up instead of settling into ruts.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

drewdane

• Plantmonster
« Reply #32 on: 05 Mar 2015, 12:16 »

I haven't really been able to add Alice Grove to my routine because TUMBLR SUCKS GIGANTIC DONKEY TURDS AND I HATE USING IT, so I've pretty much given up. 

Fix the dedicated site and that's likely to change.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #33 on: 05 Mar 2015, 12:23 »

You don't really do anything with Tumblr, though.  Just go to the URL, and there's the comic.  Click a bookmark or the image at the top of this forum for even easier access.

drewdane

• Plantmonster
« Reply #34 on: 05 Mar 2015, 12:31 »

You don't really do anything with Tumblr, though.  Just go to the URL, and there's the comic.  Click a bookmark or the image at the top of this forum for even easier access.
Oh sure, NOW you tell me!   :wink:

Thanks!

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #35 on: 08 Mar 2015, 10:04 »

Here's a thought exercise, of sorts: if you're disappointed in AG, how much of that is on the comic's own merits, and how much of that disappointment stems from what the comic is, or isn't, relative to QC?
I have to say that the aspects of AG that I am disappointed with are mostly those that make it more like QC: The silly gags (particularly related to Ardent) and the butt humour, which I don't find particularly funny. In QC, this type of humour is fitting, but Alice Grove has a very different feel to it and I think that there it doesn't fit particularly well. It seems rather forced at times.
I personally hope that future AG goes more into the direction of serious story-driven SF comic than drifting off into alien slice-of-life with butt jokes.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #36 on: 08 Mar 2015, 10:44 »

Well, it's more like "tail" jokes, but I see what you mean.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

CompSarge

• Furry furrier
  • I put the "sexy" in "dyslexic"
    • Sarge's Art and Story Blog
« Reply #37 on: 30 Mar 2015, 22:20 »

How about an option that says "Yes, but I only read it in batches so that I can follow the story better"? As cool as it is that Jeph's doing two comics, not having a set update schedule kinda kills it.

Meilu

• Plantmonster
« Reply #38 on: 16 Apr 2015, 21:04 »

How about an option that says "Yes, but I only read it in batches so that I can follow the story better"? As cool as it is that Jeph's doing two comics, not having a set update schedule kinda kills it.

This is my vote as well. Overall enjoying AG more than QC at the moment, if only because QC is making Emily even more of an empty shell of a person while Clinton has an inane "adventure" she's just there for.

I see people complaining about AG's characters being unlikeable... right now QC is suffering more. If I hadn't been reading since very near the beginning, I doubt I would be now.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 23 Apr 2015, 14:54 »

Global Moderator Comment It was a very good suggestion by CompSarge and I have added it to the Poll and reset it so you may change your vote should you desire to do so.
James The Kugai 

ysth

• capital eszet
« Reply #40 on: 01 May 2015, 09:21 »

The regular schedule will come with time, I'm sure.

I enjoy every comic whenever it comes.

Jimington

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #41 on: 09 Jun 2015, 19:11 »

Loving AG! Only wishing I'd discovered it a bit later so there was a bit more story to read through. I keep checking it thinking "COME ONNNNNNNN!!"

Lots of mystery and Alice is a great character...interested to see where it goes.

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #42 on: 19 Dec 2015, 02:16 »

By now Alice Grove is starting to work for me. I am a binge-reader, so I desperately need a massive backlog to get into a story (grin, guess what pulled me into QC earlier this year). With 3 chapters finished and things going 'ping' 'pek' and 'spak' in chapter 4, it is starting to grow on me.

ThePerilsOfDan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #43 on: 01 Feb 2016, 16:01 »

I've so thoroughly enjoyed QC that when he announced a new toon, I was ready to read it.

I first became aware of QC when somebody posted the strip about Martin wishing for a '52 black guard tele to fall into his arms similar to how a girl (Cosette falling into Steve's arms?) fell into his buddy's arms.

I'm a guitar player, I had to find out about a toon that very specifically and correctly identified a particular guitar of which I am quite fond of.  I binge on new toons I find, and wow did I have a lot to catch up on.

this was my chance to get in on the ground floor so to speak with Alice Grove

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #44 on: 08 Mar 2016, 05:37 »

Is it a toon if the pictures don't move?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Channelore HellicottAtham

• Plantmonster
  • OH GOD THERE IS A HAND INSIDE ME AAAAAAAAAUGH
« Reply #45 on: 17 Mar 2016, 02:42 »

OMG - the first post in this thread dates to February 2015. Alice is a year old already?! I know the slow pace of the biweekly updates slows progress, but even so, I hadn't realised it had already been this long. I am so curious about the story generation process, and how much of Alice's future Jeph already has mapped out to whatever certainty. The story and its backstory is so rich and detailed that this depth surely relies upon the extra time afforded by the update schedule, plus a good deal of foresight to enable small hints to future detail that may not become relevant for a good deal of time (as for example the Harry Potter series, where there exists significant callbacks to often much earlier storyline details).

Anyway, over a year of Alice, and I'm still totally hooked. Who knows where it will end up, or even whether returning the kids to the outer space will be the end of the story!

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #46 on: 29 Mar 2016, 21:52 »

According to the archive, the first Alice Grove strip was posted Sep 25, 2014, so AG is about a year and a half old at this point.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #47 on: 18 May 2016, 23:09 »

I've been reading since the beginning, but didn't create an account until the this latest chapter began.  Gavia's plight motivated me to go beyond lurking. 

Orbert

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #48 on: 20 May 2016, 08:55 »

I read Alice Grove, and have since the beginning.  It doesn't bother me that it's not funny; I'm not sure if it's meant to be.  It seems to be Jeph trying out a different kind of thing.  QC isn't outright funny most of the time, either.  I'm kinduva sci-fi nerd, so that aspect of it is interesting, and it does unfold fairly slowly, but that's how it goes sometimes.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who understand binary and those who do not.

ThePerilsOfDan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #49 on: 24 May 2016, 05:37 »

I've been reading from the beginning.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up