THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 13:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Your predictions for this week's blizzard... er comics?

Clinton realizes "some time" is undefined. Fatal exception error. Literally.
- 8 (10.4%)
Dora achieves peak self doubt. Vanishes in a puff of logic.
- 8 (10.4%)
OH HAI, SVEN!
- 23 (29.9%)
A poll.
- 2 (2.6%)
A pole.
- 3 (3.9%)
Jeph gives all the drama you want between Marten and Claire. In one strip.
- 4 (5.2%)
Tai takes up archery (Bow Tai)
- 7 (9.1%)
Five days of Gabby and Sara.
- 10 (13%)
Emily goes to the coffee shop to get a smoothie. Leaves with nothing but a broken heart.
- 12 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: 26 Feb 2015, 10:35

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2902-2906 (23-27 February 2015)  (Read 52330 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Re: WCDT 2902-2906 (23-27 February 2015)
« Reply #250 on: 25 Feb 2015, 13:11 »

Dangit Ben

You definitely need to start a FF.Net Page   ;D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Platypodes

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Pancakes!
« Reply #251 on: 25 Feb 2015, 13:44 »

Faye's body language from the moment Hanners opened the door onward has been incredibly well-drawn.  It's so expressive of all the pain she's going through and of her shift from her classic tough-person posturing to admitting that she's not okay, needs help, and is totally uncomfortable about that.

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #252 on: 25 Feb 2015, 14:11 »

Going off that, has anyone ever gotten significantly angry at Hanners at all anyways?
Well in-comic that was Marten on the night he brought her home. Which also makes me wonder if Faye still has that taser.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #253 on: 25 Feb 2015, 14:34 »

You definitely need to start a FF.Net Page   ;D

http://www.fanfiction.net/~benrg

Mostly older work and I haven't updated most of the incomplete stories in a while but nothing is posted there that I'm not willing to let people read.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #254 on: 25 Feb 2015, 15:15 »

You know, poor Jeph can't win, can he? He draws a Claireten strip or two and the forum spends pages bitching about it being boring and repetitive. He draws a strip of two about Faye and it's ignored in favour of weird puns and a discussion of popular music.

It's not just here either. The number of posts per strip on the Subreddit has also dropped by about 75% since the focus moved from Claireten.

I think it's just people being content with the comics? I mean, I for example enjoyed the comic - it's not the very best and most awesome Jeph has ever drawn, but it's good. It has Hanners dealing with Faye in a fun way, Character interaction, a pun! Wonderful. But I don't have much of an opinion either, except that I'm still weirded out by the extreme reactions - yeah, Faye overdid it. But pouring away alcohol like it was poison? Cleaning out the apartment? Asking somebody to stop you from buying booze? I feel the normal reaction would just be carrying on while drinking less/nothing, and asking somebody to stay with you to stop you from drinking is a good idea if you feel like you need it. Her problem is not the drink, it's her issues, and she should treat those with care and immediately (calling Dr. Corinne?). Those extreme reactions to alcohol just make the issue worse, in my opinion. If I can't stop myself from drinking if it's right in front of me and smelling delicious... all right, I get it. But if I believe my self-control is so weak that I can't stop myself from going out and buying some, there's something wrong.

But it's not a strong opinion, and I think a lot of it is just different experiences.

When there's a Clairten strip... it's frustrating. I've been ignoring it for a few strips, but the boring writing actually makes the strip a lot less enjoyable for a lot of people including me, so we tried to find out if there were like-minded people and what others thought about it. Same with people who like it a lot. I mean, the general consensus is: We like and mostly enjoy Questionable Content. We don't have to reiterate it in every post - if we didn't like it, we wouldn't be coming back. So you just see the strong mood swings - Comics that are perceived as exceptionally good, bad or those that touch us emotionally.

Meilu

• Plantmonster
« Reply #255 on: 25 Feb 2015, 15:40 »

You know, poor Jeph can't win, can he? He draws a Claireten strip or two and the forum spends pages bitching about it being boring and repetitive. He draws a strip of two about Faye and it's ignored in favour of weird puns and a discussion of popular music.

It's not just here either. The number of posts per strip on the Subreddit has also dropped by about 75% since the focus moved from Claireten.

I think it's just people being content with the comics? I mean, I for example enjoyed the comic - it's not the very best and most awesome Jeph has ever drawn, but it's good. It has Hanners dealing with Faye in a fun way, Character interaction, a pun! Wonderful. But I don't have much of an opinion either, except that I'm still weirded out by the extreme reactions - yeah, Faye overdid it. But pouring away alcohol like it was poison? Cleaning out the apartment? Asking somebody to stop you from buying booze? I feel the normal reaction would just be carrying on while drinking less/nothing, and asking somebody to stay with you to stop you from drinking is a good idea if you feel like you need it. Her problem is not the drink, it's her issues, and she should treat those with care and immediately (calling Dr. Corinne?). Those extreme reactions to alcohol just make the issue worse, in my opinion. If I can't stop myself from drinking if it's right in front of me and smelling delicious... all right, I get it. But if I believe my self-control is so weak that I can't stop myself from going out and buying some, there's something wrong.

But it's not a strong opinion, and I think a lot of it is just different experiences.

When there's a Clairten strip... it's frustrating. I've been ignoring it for a few strips, but the boring writing actually makes the strip a lot less enjoyable for a lot of people including me, so we tried to find out if there were like-minded people and what others thought about it. Same with people who like it a lot. I mean, the general consensus is: We like and mostly enjoy Questionable Content. We don't have to reiterate it in every post - if we didn't like it, we wouldn't be coming back. So you just see the strong mood swings - Comics that are perceived as exceptionally good, bad or those that touch us emotionally.

Forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes, and lack of coherence... still no computer.

I have several alcoholics in my family. My sister was clean for years simply by virtue of it not being around and her inability to leave her house alone to purchase it (an entirely separate issue, but I digress). The moment that changed, without hesitation and self-control, she immediately descended into a drunken stupor. It was literally the forst thing she did. The fact that she was the sole caretaker of a 7 year old child didn't even matter. Addiction literally is a crippling disease for some people, and some of those people have to have some sort of support like that for theor own good. That I live over a thousand miles from my sister (though her refusal to talk to me due to my trans status likely wouldn't change if the distance were less significant) and cannot support her personally haunts me daily. I'm not at all saying that it's the same situation. Clearly it is not. However, Faye has obvious alcoholic tendencies. That she was strong enough to pour it down the sink is awesome. Deliberate avoidance and lack of opportunity to fall back into the habit are key strategies to surviving the addiction. My father did (though his situation was entirely different as well). It doesn't just take strength to be around something you are addicted to and NOT use it... it takes strength, will, and almost super-human dedication. Time away helps, but sometimes even that isn't enough.

But having supported many people through this (without something like AA) I know Faye is handling herself the right way and not overreacting at all. She should talk to her therapist, that much is true. Her friends stopping her for her own good? Definitely a good plan on her part. At least then she knows, when she eventually IS alone, she can do it because people love her enough to help her like that. Learning support is there is key.

ASB84

« Reply #256 on: 25 Feb 2015, 15:55 »

Dissatisfaction invites stronger reactions, and in a discussion forum, longer posts. I'd say that most of us feel compelled to explain ourselves when we have criticism, too. As you alluded to, there's not always a lot to say when you've enjoyed a strip, especially if it doesn't evoke a particularly strong response.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #257 on: 25 Feb 2015, 16:16 »

I love Encouraging Hannelore in panel one.
"Don't worry -- You'll get the hang of it."
Just what Faye needs to hear.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #258 on: 25 Feb 2015, 16:27 »

Jeph said a few weeks ago on Twitter during Faye's ER visit that if all he cared about was web traffic, he would put his characters in the hospital every week. 

Personally, I like how this week is going.  We haven't seen Hannelore and Faye spend any time together for more than one strip for a while, so I'm glad Jeph decided to give them some page time, and I hope Thursday and Friday are the same (or we pop on over to CoD to see how Dor's doing).  And if the forum doesn't hit 20 pages by Friday or Saturday, meh, no big loss.  Something will probably happen next week to make up for it.

MONDAY, Marten and Faye's apartment.  Faye is on the couch, furiously knitting, as Marten walks in.
FAYE: "Hey, assbutt."
MARTEN: "Are you knitting?"
FAYE: "Yeah, Trying to take my mind off things.  Hannelore taught me.  How'd your day go?"
MARTEN: "Ugh, annoying.  Tai found out Claire slept over last night and threw us a party, Emily got drunk and started spilling government secrets, Momo got into a fight with Clinton.  I can still smell singed hair.  How'd Tai find out, anyway?"
FAYE: "Hey, I didn't say anything."
MARTEN: "I know, I know.  I just can't figure out--unless--no, couldn't be--PINTSIZE!!!!"
PINTSIZE: "Yoink!"
[Studio audience laughs, applauds]

You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #259 on: 25 Feb 2015, 16:30 »

The setting and the "Yoink!" put my mind automatically on the "Surprise buttsecks" song. Damn you Gladstone.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #260 on: 25 Feb 2015, 17:59 »

[took my quote out for brevity]

Forgive any spelling or grammar mistakes, and lack of coherence... still no computer.

I have several alcoholics in my family. My sister was clean for years simply by virtue of it not being around and her inability to leave her house alone to purchase it (an entirely separate issue, but I digress). The moment that changed, without hesitation and self-control, she immediately descended into a drunken stupor. It was literally the forst thing she did. The fact that she was the sole caretaker of a 7 year old child didn't even matter. Addiction literally is a crippling disease for some people, and some of those people have to have some sort of support like that for theor own good. That I live over a thousand miles from my sister (though her refusal to talk to me due to my trans status likely wouldn't change if the distance were less significant) and cannot support her personally haunts me daily. I'm not at all saying that it's the same situation. Clearly it is not. However, Faye has obvious alcoholic tendencies. That she was strong enough to pour it down the sink is awesome. Deliberate avoidance and lack of opportunity to fall back into the habit are key strategies to surviving the addiction. My father did (though his situation was entirely different as well). It doesn't just take strength to be around something you are addicted to and NOT use it... it takes strength, will, and almost super-human dedication. Time away helps, but sometimes even that isn't enough.

But having supported many people through this (without something like AA) I know Faye is handling herself the right way and not overreacting at all. She should talk to her therapist, that much is true. Her friends stopping her for her own good? Definitely a good plan on her part. At least then she knows, when she eventually IS alone, she can do it because people love her enough to help her like that. Learning support is there is key.

As I said, it's very different experiences. Mine are just different than yours, and just as anecdotal. I've had to deal with alcoholics, too, and with that 'all or nothing pattern' I've learned to hate, and that 'but I'm powerless against my addiction'. I'm not saying that people should deal with all that shit on their own, on the contrary, but making a huge fuss/obsessing about it just makes it worse. From what I've seen, those that are most successful in stopping are those that either have a really strong motive, or people who just slowly quit and just don't go to extremes (any more). No excess drinking, but a beer doesn't hurt. And, the most important thing - solve or learn to deal with the huge-ass problem that drove them into addiction in the first place.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #261 on: 25 Feb 2015, 18:20 »

I don't particularly see this week as that much a improvement over recent Clairiten at least. We had LOOM and at least on the Claire side I thought she said some interesting stuff(support groups, bad days, letting things work). Got to ease off on the trans subject for awhile I think, but last weeks was better than this weeks, even if I am glad to see Hanners again.

There's just higher expectations for Marten and Claire falling in love than Hanners and Faye falling in love...with textiles!

Meilu

• Plantmonster
« Reply #262 on: 25 Feb 2015, 18:35 »

[took my quote out for brevity]

As I said, it's very different experiences. Mine are just different than yours, and just as anecdotal. I've had to deal with alcoholics, too, and with that 'all or nothing pattern' I've learned to hate, and that 'but I'm powerless against my addiction'. I'm not saying that people should deal with all that shit on their own, on the contrary, but making a huge fuss/obsessing about it just makes it worse. From what I've seen, those that are most successful in stopping are those that either have a really strong motive, or people who just slowly quit and just don't go to extremes (any more). No excess drinking, but a beer doesn't hurt. And, the most important thing - solve or learn to deal with the huge-ass problem that drove them into addiction in the first place.

That "I'm powerless against my addiction" thing: I think some people are. That others are not doesn't discount that. My father, for instance, was not. Every time I see him I'm reminded in some way of how strong of a person he is. But, as I pointed out, my sister is essentially ruled by her addiction, to the detriment of everything and everyone around her.

There's no one answer for fixing someone. Fixing the problem that led to the addiction doesn't necessarily fix the addiction, nor does fixing the addiction solve the issue that led to it. I would argue, however, that an addiction and the problems that causes makes it infinitely more difficult to solve the other issues.

Of course there are addicts who have no underlying issues as well.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #263 on: 25 Feb 2015, 19:16 »

Comic!

1. I wonder if Winslow could upgrade himself to an iPad.

2. And there, bubbling just below the surface, is Angry Hanners.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #264 on: 25 Feb 2015, 19:21 »

Took me a while to realize that was Winslow...

2. And there, bubbling just below the surface, is Angry Hanners.

No, that's Tough Love Hanners.
Angry Hanners wouldn't apologize, and  then she'd storm off to sterilize something.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #265 on: 25 Feb 2015, 19:24 »

Actually using Winslow seems like something that'd be highly inappropriate!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #266 on: 25 Feb 2015, 19:26 »

You know, I can't help but imagine Winslow saying "I'm helping! I'm helping!" like an overexcited five year old.

ASB84

« Reply #267 on: 25 Feb 2015, 19:31 »

Hanners' horror at having snapped at Faye is adorable, but in truth, she wasn't being mean. Frankly, I think Faye needs to hear stuff like that more often.

That's what I miss about Raven, actually. Whether she truly was just cheerfully ditzy, or actually a bit smarter and more clued-in than she let on, she seemed to have a knack for cutting through Faye's snarky self-defense and prickly BS.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #268 on: 25 Feb 2015, 19:41 »

Actually using Winslow seems like something that'd be highly inappropriate!

Yeah, I don't think I'd feel comfortable treating a sentient AI companion as an actual, y'know, machine.  Especially when his display screen doubles as his face.

Also, Jeph is killing it with the background art this week.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #269 on: 25 Feb 2015, 19:48 »

He might've volunteered, y'know.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #270 on: 25 Feb 2015, 19:49 »

That's what I miss about Raven, actually. Whether she truly was just cheerfully ditzy, or actually a bit smarter and more clued-in than she let on, she seemed to have a knack for cutting through Faye's snarky self-defense and prickly BS.

It would be cool if Raven showed up in the current arc and did say or do something that proved helpful to Faye.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #271 on: 25 Feb 2015, 19:59 »

Nice to know that Faye has some awareness, even with the depression getting in the way of... well, everything.

Consilium

• Plantmonster
  • Less important than Jesus.
« Reply #272 on: 25 Feb 2015, 20:20 »

http://imgur.com/bTMDCR7

this is my headcanon for today. pintsize and winslow switching chassis so pintsize can sleaze out.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #273 on: 25 Feb 2015, 20:34 »

Nah, you can tell it's not Pintsize, because Pintsize would be making motorboat noises.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Daniel Patrick Moynihan

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #274 on: 25 Feb 2015, 20:46 »

I don't know, Faye's reaction seems pretty normal to me.  The absolute last person on Earth I'd want to see if I were Faye is Dora, and having to weld adjacent to your former subordinates would only be a slightly lesser torment.  It seems easier to just pick up the gear and set up somewhere else, the back alley behind CoD and the spider/earwig zone can't be the only options in town.  They're certainly not the safest.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #275 on: 25 Feb 2015, 20:49 »

Marten's band practice spot has been raised as an option before, but I have a suggestion for a new poll:

Hannelore; Best Friend, or The Best Friend?
oh god

Isyrion

• Emoticontraindication
  • Burn baby Burn!
« Reply #276 on: 25 Feb 2015, 21:01 »

First thing, Hanners that was most excelent!  That is why we love you.

Second, Faye does need to talk to Dora soon, not right away but soon.  At the very least to get some closure and to get her metal working gear.  Leaving that issue alone will cause it to fester and do more damage in the long run.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #277 on: 25 Feb 2015, 21:09 »

Maybe Dora should bring Faye's welding gear to her apartment to spare her the embarrassment and allow them to discuss things in a more neutral environment?

If it's really heavy she could ask Sven for

Oh, right.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2015, 21:17 by Gladstone »

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #278 on: 25 Feb 2015, 22:04 »

Maybe Dora should bring Faye's welding gear to her apartment to spare her the embarrassment and allow them to discuss things in a more neutral environment?

If it's really heavy she could ask Sven for

Oh, right.

Congrats, you just figured out how the storyline will veer off into Maximum Awkwardness.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Deadman

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #279 on: 25 Feb 2015, 23:03 »

Going off that, has anyone ever gotten significantly angry at Hanners at all anyways?
Well in-comic that was Marten on the night he brought her home. Which also makes me wonder if Faye still has that taser.

Going back and re-reading Martens first meeting with Hannelore kinda made me miss her off colored jokes and extra "crazy" fun
Just because I don't have empathy dose not mean I can not feel. Just because I could kill you and feel nothing does not make me a bad person. I do not have the capacity to feel like you so what is your excuse...

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #280 on: 25 Feb 2015, 23:13 »

It looks like that Faye isn't going to find many options to find a new job right now. The chances of something menial or eccentric has increased sharply. Specifically, something that takes Faye in an unexpected direction (for her at least).

Hannelore is also right about confronting Dora. Attempting to avoid uncomfortable and distressing things is more-or-less what got Faye in this situation in the first place. I think that Japh is working us towards that confrontation and maybe Faye making a radical new start. Possibly something that will relate to a newfound desire to confront her problems.

Y'know, I never read the strip titles. I didn't realise that Faye was using Winslow to browse the job boards until the second time that I read through it!

Going back and re-reading Martens first meeting with Hannelore kinda made me miss her off colored jokes and extra "crazy" fun

I actually preferred the early Hannelore model. For a long time, Jeph seemed to draw her as a parody of a mentally ill person.  She's started to look a lot less weird lately but I think that's mostly Jeph 's art style evolving.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2015, 23:48 by BenRG »
~~~~

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #281 on: 25 Feb 2015, 23:40 »

I actually preferred the early Hannelore model. For a long time, Jeph seemed to draw her as a parody of a mentally I'll person.  She's started to look a lot less weird lately but I think that's mostly Jeph 's art style evolving.

It's funny, I was reading those early strips today and thinking the same thing. Her character had more of an edge then, and I miss that.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Scarblac

• Plantmonster
« Reply #282 on: 26 Feb 2015, 00:30 »

I think it's just people being content with the comics?
But, should they be content? That's debatable.

They're being questionably content.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #283 on: 26 Feb 2015, 01:02 »

Maybe it's just me but, in some ways, I consider the WCDT as being a sort of emotional tip jar. I always try to leave a comment just to prove that I appreciate Jeph not just packing up his drawing tablet and doing something else with his creative talent.

Even if, as we have had this week, a fairly run-of-the-mill set of strips, I've still tried to make comments (and made them more substantive than just 'Ooh! Cool comic!'). It's just my way of supporting the process, I guess.

I actually preferred the early Hannelore model. For a long time, Jeph seemed to draw her as a parody of a mentally I'll person.  She's started to look a lot less weird lately but I think that's mostly Jeph 's art style evolving.

It's funny, I was reading those early strips today and thinking the same thing. Her character had more of an edge then, and I miss that.

Here's a weird thing: When I read strips 515 and 517 Hannelore has a different voice in my head. Softer, with an edge of affectionate irony. Modern Hanners sounds more like a younger girl, maybe even pre-teenager and her voice, when she's under stress, has a screechy edge to it.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2015, 01:07 by BenRG »
~~~~

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #284 on: 26 Feb 2015, 01:07 »

It's just my way of supporting the process, I guess.

I usually just make sex jokes. Those help, probably.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Khazgar

• Plantmonster
« Reply #285 on: 26 Feb 2015, 02:15 »

It's been said before, but sometimes the best way of reading the comics is not daily but by reading a whole batch together. This week is a good example - two female characters interacting, we learn a little bit more about Hanners, we see how Faye is trying to cope with her problems and even have a hint of some future plans (rather than forum speculation) - but nothing has actually happened in the way of "drama". I think this also reflects the state of the forums - the readership hasn't changed, there's just nothing controversial to comment on.

You can look at this in several ways - firstly, everyone needed a break from Marten and Claire and Faye needed to be shown to be addressing her problems in some way, and both of these goals have been achieved. It's also nice to see Hanners again and have some "normal" QC interaction with a couple of jokes.

If I may, I would also say that it is nice to have a low-key week - the past couple of weeks were pretty dramatic and I spent far too much time thinking about the comic and all of the (sometimes silly) debates going on here.

Let's just relax, trust Jeph and let the story roll on.

And a question - do people sometimes deliberately ignore the comic for a few days and then look at several strips at once?

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #286 on: 26 Feb 2015, 03:27 »

I feel that the events of this last comic are the very reason Faye reached out to Hanners to "hang around" with her. She's kinda like the canary in the coal mine for that type of bullcrap.

Also, while Winslow might have volunteered to help, he certainly looks like "PUT ME THE FUCK DOWN YOU DISRESPECTFUL LADY". At least from my perspective.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #287 on: 26 Feb 2015, 03:51 »

And a question - do people sometimes deliberately ignore the comic for a few days and then look at several strips at once?

Not me, and au contraire, I gather that some of us, at the more dramatic times, sit up late at night pounding the F5 key until the new comic loads.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #288 on: 26 Feb 2015, 04:09 »

Yes, absolutely. Often makes the comic way better than if you don't.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #289 on: 26 Feb 2015, 04:15 »

I gather that some of us, at the more dramatic times, sit up late at night pounding the F5 key until the new comic loads.

When I first joined the forum, there were people who would make posts here consisting of the text "F5" while they waited - singularly pointless, of course!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am
« Reply #290 on: 26 Feb 2015, 04:25 »

It's just my way of supporting the process, I guess.

I usually just make sex jokes. Those help, probably.

I'm just here for the puns.
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #291 on: 26 Feb 2015, 04:44 »

Hey, sometimes it was "EFFIVE". Or "⌘-R" for Mac types (although I use browsers that respect F5 on OS X, but I still use ⌘-R).

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #292 on: 26 Feb 2015, 05:03 »

Yes, absolutely. Often makes the comic way better than if you don't.

I do both.  I check nightly, and then go back and review a chunk at a time for the "flow". 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

techkid

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Disqualified from the human race for shoving
« Reply #293 on: 26 Feb 2015, 05:42 »

Maybe it's just me but, in some ways, I consider the WCDT as being a sort of emotional tip jar. I always try to leave a comment just to prove that I appreciate Jeph not just packing up his drawing tablet and doing something else with his creative talent.

Even if, as we have had this week, a fairly run-of-the-mill set of strips, I've still tried to make comments (and made them more substantive than just 'Ooh! Cool comic!'). It's just my way of supporting the process, I guess.

I usually get to the forums late of a day (my geographic location and work hours conspire against me), so by the time I make it to the forums, someone has already said what I want to say, usually in a better way, too, or so many pages have been created that I simply can't keep up.

I try to contribute, in my own way. But usually it is to clarify something, or keeping up with the flow.
Just because I'm evil, doesn't mean I'm a bad person.

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am
« Reply #294 on: 26 Feb 2015, 06:15 »

I usually get to the forums late of a day (my geographic location and work hours conspire against me), so by the time I make it to the forums, someone has already said what I want to say, usually in a better way, too, or so many pages have been created that I simply can't keep up.

I try to contribute, in my own way. But usually it is to clarify something, or keeping up with the flow.

How many hours ahead is Ankh-Morpork in relation to Northampton? Or do you just work nights?

(sorry, couldn't resist)
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #295 on: 26 Feb 2015, 09:38 »

Marten and Momo also had trouble with the job market. The library would be too much of a cliche if Faye were to go there.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #296 on: 26 Feb 2015, 09:46 »

Marten and Momo also had trouble with the job market. The library would be too much of a cliche if Faye were to go there.

Two options (IMHO):
  • The Secret Bakery (possibly at Sam's insistence);
  • When Faye is removing the welding and metalworking kit from CoD one customer, a body shop engineer by trade, notes a fellow metal-bender and strikes up a conversation; by a strange series of events, Faye ends up working at the Body Shop on his Secret Project (turning a Dodge van into a Giant Mecha).
What? I decided to just go for it!
~~~~

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #297 on: 26 Feb 2015, 10:18 »

Not at all farfetched for the QCverse: AI cars really ought to be a thing there now. Faye gets hired by a wealthy AnthroPC (another thing that ought to be possible in the QCverse) to help her turn into a hot rod.

"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #298 on: 26 Feb 2015, 10:20 »

May was (briefly) a wealthy AI, for that matter.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #299 on: 26 Feb 2015, 10:34 »

That brings us back to my theory of Faye building a Fighter Jet for May.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up