THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 17:18
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Your predictions for this week's blizzard... er comics?

Clinton realizes "some time" is undefined. Fatal exception error. Literally.
- 8 (10.4%)
Dora achieves peak self doubt. Vanishes in a puff of logic.
- 8 (10.4%)
OH HAI, SVEN!
- 23 (29.9%)
A poll.
- 2 (2.6%)
A pole.
- 3 (3.9%)
Jeph gives all the drama you want between Marten and Claire. In one strip.
- 4 (5.2%)
Tai takes up archery (Bow Tai)
- 7 (9.1%)
Five days of Gabby and Sara.
- 10 (13%)
Emily goes to the coffee shop to get a smoothie. Leaves with nothing but a broken heart.
- 12 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: 26 Feb 2015, 10:35

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2902-2906 (23-27 February 2015)  (Read 52337 times)

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
Re: WCDT 2902-2906 (23-27 February 2015)
« Reply #300 on: 26 Feb 2015, 11:51 »

I think QC has taken a turn too far towards realistic for Faye to build a Fighter jet.

Given a decade, and a willingness to learn a lot of things, I'm sure Faye could turn out something like a generation two or generation three jet aircraft, but it would cost millions.

Now, if Hanners got involved, then the SciFi comes back. Money wouldn't be an object and technology indistinguishable from magic gets grandfathered in.

BTW, I don't mean that it's just impossible because it's not realistic. I mean it would stretch suspension of disbelief, unless elements already accepted were used to justify it.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #301 on: 26 Feb 2015, 12:32 »

Station is extremely rich. We know rich AIs are a thing.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #302 on: 26 Feb 2015, 12:36 »

Oh, right, and we even know part of his net worth - about $605M in EC-Tec holdings: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2119

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #303 on: 26 Feb 2015, 13:38 »

Which makes me wonder why an AI like Station would even need money. I presume he doesn't need to pay for any upkeep or supplies, since they're really as much or more for the human resident. Similarly AIs working for the military or corporations or as household appliances (I make bread fun!) wouldn't need it. Companion AIs seem to be mostly reliant on their human friends to cover their needs, like with Pintsize and Winslow. Even Momo was working before to pay back the purchase of her new chassis, not because she needed to pay rent or anything. Before Angus moved out anyway. So that leaves AIs like May, who don't have anyone to take care of their basic needs of shelter, clothing if applicable and recharging needs.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #304 on: 26 Feb 2015, 14:16 »

I would suspect the situation with AI's in the QCverse is similar to the situation of Shell People in the Anne McCaffrey universe.

It looks like Hanners may have been the right person to go to after all.  And she's right, she's gonna have to front up to Dora in order to get her gear back at least.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

TheCaffeinatedPanda

• Not quite a lurker
  • Watashi wa pantsu wo shinjiteru.
« Reply #305 on: 26 Feb 2015, 14:21 »

Do you think Soup Kitchens for AI are just row upon row of USB ports?
"Panties aren't powerful enough to solve all the problems we've got here."

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #306 on: 26 Feb 2015, 14:55 »

I guess what I'm thinking of is a man who is a walking, talking Scrapheap Challenge champion. He tends to throw together wild stuff from completely improbable parts (and no-one calls him 'MacGyver', for reasons of trademark infringement). He comes up with the ideas and technology, it's Faye's genius that makes them practical and beautiful.
  • All-terrain vehicle with 'Delta Bug' wheels
  • Quad bike with gas engine replaced with turbines off of jet skis so it can work as a helicopter (!)
The list is potentially endless. We never see them but Faye likes talking about them!

That aside, he works in a vehicle customisation shop; it's a nice compromise between practical and aesthetic that appeals to Faye's mindset when he offers her a job.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #307 on: 26 Feb 2015, 14:57 »

I would suspect the situation with AI's in the QCverse is similar to the situation of Shell People in the Anne McCaffrey universe.

'splain, Lucy (I'm not familiar with them). 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #308 on: 26 Feb 2015, 15:08 »

'splain, Lucy (I'm not familiar with them). 

Best and easiest explanation of Shell People comes from here
James The Kugai 

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #309 on: 26 Feb 2015, 15:12 »

Shell People are born with severe birth defects, and transferred early on to egg-like (IIRC) metal enclosures fitted with life support and input-output ports.  From there, they go on to control starships, installations, etc - a sort of "brain in a jar" where there's actually a whole body in there.  The issue of disability is touched on; many Shell People reject any sort of pity, and may even feel superior (can you soar through space as naturally as if the ship was your meatbody, see across the entire EM spectrum, use tiny waldoes to paint a masterpiece on a pinhead, etc etc?)

... aaaaand sniped.
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2015, 15:25 by St.Clair »

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #310 on: 26 Feb 2015, 15:19 »

I think QC has taken a turn too far towards realistic for Faye to build a Fighter jet.

A full sized, armed military grade F-16-ish jet, definitely, that will never happen.

A remote control 1/16th model of a fighter jet that is modified to accept A.I. control, that's within Faye's capabilities (with some help from Clinton and Hanners).
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #311 on: 26 Feb 2015, 15:32 »

Either that or a Veritech.
James The Kugai 

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #312 on: 26 Feb 2015, 15:45 »

Shell People are born with severe birth defects, and transferred early on to egg-like (IIRC) metal enclosures fitted with life support and input-output ports.  From there, they go on to control starships, installations, etc - a sort of "brain in a jar" where there's actually a whole body in there.  The issue of disability is touched on; many Shell People reject any sort of pity, and may even feel superior (can you soar through space as naturally as if the ship was your meatbody, see across the entire EM spectrum, use tiny waldoes to paint a masterpiece on a pinhead, etc etc?)

... aaaaand sniped.

Not forgetting that once in their permanent Shells as either a Starship, City Manager or Space Station (etc), they wind up indebted for all the necessary Pituitary Tinkering, surgery, training and final Shell, as well as their final 'Placement' as a Ship etc.  They then have to work for several years or decades to pay that off.

I would suspect that the remuneration is well worth it as these individuals are in positions of major responsibilities - City Managers, Space Station Manager/Controllers, Starships etc.  There is a Bonus System in place too, so if they manage their finances properly and with organisations which act as outside monitors to ensure that Shell People are not exploited (Mutant Monitors and SPRIM are the two main ones  Anne mentions in the Novels), they can usually pay off and clear their accounts into the black in two to three decades.  They then can renegotiate a better, more favorable Contract back into the Service they are currently working for or go independent, depending on what the Shell Person wants.

With Shell People having lifespans that can stretch into three to four centuries, it's not that long a period of what is basically a semi-benign form of Indentured Servitude.
James The Kugai 

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #313 on: 26 Feb 2015, 16:00 »

A remote control 1/16th model of a fighter jet that is modified to accept A.I. control, that's within Faye's capabilities (with some help from Clinton and Hanners).
Accept AI control? An AI can run on something that could fit in that scale fighter jet. And Momo's old chassis could donate the hardware for that.

wlewisiii

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #314 on: 26 Feb 2015, 17:20 »

A full sized, armed military grade F-16-ish jet, definitely, that will never happen.

Oh, a generation 1 or even 2 (Locheed F-80C  for 1 or a North American F-86 for 2) would not be all that difficult, merely expensive. The F-80 was in many ways a simpler aircraft than many of the other aircraft of WWII. You could use a current production off-the-shelf turbine for reliability and efficency and perhaps the two seat nose section from the T-33 with a modern electronics bay for the AI in the nose of the aircraft.
Emily is the Avatar.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #315 on: 26 Feb 2015, 17:23 »

Mh, I'm kinda wondering what Dora and Faye's conversation will be when Faye gets her gear. Maximum awkwardness? Apologies, at least  from Faye, since I get the feeling she would apologise. Dora trying to rationalise it to Faye, repeating the conversation with Penelope?

I've got to repeat - I hope Faye and Dora stay apart for a while, and redefine their friendship. It's important to both.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #316 on: 26 Feb 2015, 17:34 »

A kit-built light sport plane.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #317 on: 26 Feb 2015, 18:04 »

For a second, I thought that said "knit-built." Would certainly cast Hanners' activities in a new light.

And I'm sure it'd have an interesting radar signature.

"Drone?"
"Sir, it appears to be a very large... cardigan?"
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #318 on: 26 Feb 2015, 18:26 »

For a second, I thought that said "knit-built." Would certainly cast Hanners' activities in a new light.

And I'm sure it'd have an interesting radar signature.

"Drone?"
"Sir, it appears to be a very large... cardigan?"

She could knit carbon fiber body panels for the jet.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #319 on: 26 Feb 2015, 18:40 »

I actually don't think Faye will apologize. It seems like she's still feeling sore and embarrassed and I'm honestly waiting for her to blame Dora for her last binge.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #320 on: 26 Feb 2015, 19:15 »

I actually don't think Faye will apologize. It seems like she's still feeling sore and embarrassed and I'm honestly waiting for her to blame Dora for her last binge.

I think she realizes she screwed up. Sore? Maybe. Embarrassed? Almost certainly. And while it might be too soon to rip the bandaid off, I think that at some point she's more likely to apologize to Dora than blame her.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #321 on: 26 Feb 2015, 19:21 »

I like the idea of Faye being hired to make something like a transforming monster truck. But since such things already exist in our world (google is your friend), it will have to be something more outlandish.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #322 on: 26 Feb 2015, 19:36 »

Murderballing (ball-murdering?) sounds like a fun job
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #323 on: 26 Feb 2015, 19:43 »

Faye Whitaker: Professional Ball-Murderer and Chicken-Returner.  Reasonable rates.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #324 on: 26 Feb 2015, 19:46 »

Comic.

#facepalm.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #325 on: 26 Feb 2015, 19:53 »

Hey, give her time, she'll come around.

Although ball-murdering might qualify her for the separate creepy group, which might actually find her MORE people who'll pay to have their balls murdered.  Win-win.

(I'm reminded of a Savage Love column a few years ago in which a guy who got turned on by getting hit in the balls had recently met a lesbian who liked hitting guys in the balls, and wanted to know what kind of advice Dan Savage had about this situation.  I presume that's what ball-murdering guy is on about.  And since Faye isn't a lesbian...looks like it's time for "God Himself Could Not Sink This Ship, Part II: Faye Finds Her Calling Mauling Balls)
« Last Edit: 26 Feb 2015, 20:11 by Gladstone »
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #326 on: 26 Feb 2015, 19:59 »

I wonder if we won't see a familiar face or two at the support group.  Steve seems to have had a booze problem after he broke up with Ellen.  It was what led to his recruitment by whatever section of US intelligence he works for.  It could make for a good excuse to bring back some character from the past who's been MIA for a long time.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #327 on: 26 Feb 2015, 20:13 »

She could take on both.  :-D
James The Kugai 

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #328 on: 26 Feb 2015, 20:22 »

The fact that the panel zoomed in on that substance abuse group implies strongly to me that Faye is taking it seriously. I think she just doesn't want to acknowledge its presence to anyone right now. I'm thinking she'll probably head over there incognito, with the excuse that she found an interview. (Shoddy excuse as that would be, it takes longer than that to get called in for an interview in most places. Someone with reasonably fresh knowledge of the job market would see through the excuse instantly.)
Mistakes, ahoy!

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #329 on: 26 Feb 2015, 20:28 »

I wonder if we won't see a familiar face or two at the support group.

Twist is Claire's support group was for alcohol all along, she's been a lush ever sense Marten's wedding where she got corrupted by the evils of alcohol.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #330 on: 26 Feb 2015, 20:32 »

Sorry for the delay in addressing these, as a nasty bout of stomach flu nailed me. 0/10. Do not recommend.

In any case, I clearly found a buddy in Zog, HI ZOG

First Zog that came to mind, ala Breath of Fire.

Chainmail.

Good luck trying to KNIT chainmail! But then again, making chainmail and other types of metal armour might be right up Faye's alley. It's surprisingly meditative, actually, and you get to manipulate metal, which is always relaxing.

Apparently, it's very relaxing. I was at a rather sprawling, loud, multi-day party one time where there were a bunch of SCA folks (really, do SCA folks throw any OTHER kind of party?) where I happened upon a bearded young man sitting at a table, making chain mail. I thought it a bit odd, but I watched him for a few minutes, then complimented him on the patience and the concentration it must take, especially in all that chaos. He told me he suffered from crippling social anxiety, and the only way he could really come to something like this is if he could take a break and soothe himself by doing his craft. Nice guy, and later, one of the ladies modeled the chain mail bikini he'd made for her.

Being someone who can actually do chainmail, it really is a pretty mindless activity once you get the hang of it. Scalemail still makes me think, though. I've also heard of chainmail described as 'knitting with metal', which is still rather apt since different patterns can be called 'weaves', and you're intertwining metal with metal, even if they are separate pieces of it.

slydon

• Obscure cultural reference
  • La maladie des fesses
    • Unintentionally Pretentious
« Reply #331 on: 26 Feb 2015, 20:33 »

A non-creepy atheist-only support group?  :claireface:

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #332 on: 26 Feb 2015, 20:33 »

FYI Subaru

I know you've Posted an image or something like an image in your Post, but for some reason all I'm seeing is a blank spot beneath your Post.

Dunno whether it's me, you or the Forum, but I thought I'd just mention it.
James The Kugai 

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #333 on: 26 Feb 2015, 20:33 »

My guess is Hanners saw the notice and gave Faye the paper specifically so she'd see it. The ball-murdering excuse is just face-saving on Faye's part; they both know what's actually going on.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #334 on: 26 Feb 2015, 20:37 »

A non-creepy atheist-only support group?  :claireface:
Less "atheist-only" and more "we're not going to tell you that your problem is a lack of faith"

Because there are people who do proclaim that when someone has one of any number of troubles, including, but not limited to, alcoholism.
Mistakes, ahoy!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #335 on: 26 Feb 2015, 20:44 »

My guess is Hanners saw the notice and gave Faye the paper specifically so she'd see it. The ball-murdering excuse is just face-saving on Faye's part; they both know what's actually going on.

I think you might be on to something.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #336 on: 26 Feb 2015, 20:51 »

I wonder if we won't see a familiar face or two at the support group.  Steve seems to have had a booze problem after he broke up with Ellen.  It was what led to his recruitment by whatever section of US intelligence he works for.  It could make for a good excuse to bring back some character from the past who's been MIA for a long time.

Plot twist: It's Sara. Further plot twist: it was actually a Gin Allosaurus, instead of a Tequila Monster.

Yup. Hanners knew exactly what she was doing. 'Cause if the paper in Northampton is anything like the papers anywhere else, there's no jobs in there.

slydon

• Obscure cultural reference
  • La maladie des fesses
    • Unintentionally Pretentious
« Reply #337 on: 26 Feb 2015, 20:55 »

Less "atheist-only" and more "we're not going to tell you that your problem is a lack of faith"

Because there are people who do proclaim that when someone has one of any number of troubles, including, but not limited to, alcoholism.
Still wonder how they can segregate the creepy from non-creepy.

Maybe they use a large robot spider? :psyduck:

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #338 on: 26 Feb 2015, 21:02 »

Being someone who can actually do chainmail, it really is a pretty mindless activity once you get the hang of it. Scalemail still makes me think, though. I've also heard of chainmail described as 'knitting with metal', which is still rather apt since different patterns can be called 'weaves', and you're intertwining metal with metal, even if they are separate pieces of it.

Omega, are we secretly the same person? I agree with pretty much everything you type, and I also make chainmail!

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #339 on: 26 Feb 2015, 21:04 »

Yup. Hanners knew exactly what she was doing. 'Cause if the paper in Northampton is anything like the papers anywhere else, there's no jobs in there.
Y'know, I didn't consider the possibility that Hannelore saw the same thing. Maybe I'm just more likely to take her dialogue at face-value, or maybe I thought she actually thought there might be jobs advertised in there. Both, actually, but mostly the face-value dialogue bit.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #340 on: 26 Feb 2015, 21:10 »

Y'know, I didn't consider the possibility that Hannelore saw the same thing. Maybe I'm just more likely to take her dialogue at face-value, or maybe I thought she actually thought there might be jobs advertised in there. Both, actually, but mostly the face-value dialogue bit.

I suppose it could go either way. I get the feeling she figured -- correctly, probably -- that she'd get farther with Faye by saying, "Here, look for jobs" and hoping she'd see the group than she would've saying, "Hey, I found this support group. What do you think?" Sometimes it helps when someone thinks that something was their idea, especially in a situation like this. Faye's fine if she's in control of the situation (as she was when she asked for Hanners' therapist's number, and as she was when she asked "today" to hang with Hanners to keep her mind off the booze). But she would probably feel very self-conscious if Hanners brought it up herself.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #341 on: 26 Feb 2015, 21:21 »

Omega, are we secretly the same person? I agree with pretty much everything you type, and I also make chainmail!
Cloning experiment gone wrong? But then who's the original!? :psyduck:

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #342 on: 26 Feb 2015, 21:24 »

What if neither of us are the original? 0.o             :psyduck:

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #343 on: 26 Feb 2015, 21:25 »

Which one do I shoot? WHICH ONE, THEY BOTH LOOK THE SAME!
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #344 on: 26 Feb 2015, 21:29 »

I volunteer. TRVA has so much to live for!

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #345 on: 26 Feb 2015, 21:32 »

DOOOO NOT WAAAANNNTTTT!

We must live for each other!

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #346 on: 26 Feb 2015, 21:41 »

Oh my god. Your personal title just jumped out at me. I live in a DOUBLE PENINSULA  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #347 on: 26 Feb 2015, 21:41 »

FYI Subaru
I know you've Posted an image or something like an image in your Post, but for some reason all I'm seeing is a blank spot beneath your Post.
Dunno whether it's me, you or the Forum, but I thought I'd just mention it.
It's a YouTube vid of carbon fiber cloth, showing off the type of weave. You're not really missing anything important if you can't see it.

And the vid-link is working on my iPad.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #348 on: 26 Feb 2015, 21:43 »

Oh my god. Your personal title just jumped out at me. I live in a DOUBLE PENINSULA  :psyduck: :psyduck: :psyduck:

I wonder if TRVA has an isthmus joke as well.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #349 on: 26 Feb 2015, 21:49 »

I wonder if TRVA has an isthmus joke as well.

Maybe? If anything, they have to have a joke joke about a mitten-shaped peninsula. One that isn't 'Michigan is the hand and Florida is the dick'. That's one's been done.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up