THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Your predictions for this week's blizzard... er comics?

Clinton realizes "some time" is undefined. Fatal exception error. Literally.
- 8 (10.4%)
Dora achieves peak self doubt. Vanishes in a puff of logic.
- 8 (10.4%)
OH HAI, SVEN!
- 23 (29.9%)
A poll.
- 2 (2.6%)
A pole.
- 3 (3.9%)
Jeph gives all the drama you want between Marten and Claire. In one strip.
- 4 (5.2%)
Tai takes up archery (Bow Tai)
- 7 (9.1%)
Five days of Gabby and Sara.
- 10 (13%)
Emily goes to the coffee shop to get a smoothie. Leaves with nothing but a broken heart.
- 12 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Voting closed: 26 Feb 2015, 10:35

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2902-2906 (23-27 February 2015)  (Read 51092 times)

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
Re: WCDT 2902-2906 (23-27 February 2015)
« Reply #400 on: 27 Feb 2015, 17:49 »

Do we even know that Faye will find the support group helpful? A while back we discussed the idea of her going to AA, and we came to the conclusion that Jeph would nix the idea, due to his own experience with getting sober.

I'm thinking if Faye does go to the support group, this will be Jeph's way of expressing it as a shitty option, and have her eventually quit and go her own way.

AA isn't the only group option out there. Besides, with groups (as with individual therapists), it takes a few tries sometimes to find the right fit, assuming the group dynamic works for you (and it doesn't for everyone).

Has anyone tried reviving The Washingtonian Society? Having a non-theistic support group around would probably help out a lot of alcoholics who are turned off by AA's religious based program.

I see a couple of references to them online (once you get past the handful of Conservative organizations that've named themselves for someone besides Reagan), but nothing that actually includes their tenets. How were they different?
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #401 on: 27 Feb 2015, 17:52 »

Faye won't run into Padma, she'll run into Steve's old girlfriend Meena.  Or Pizza Girl.  It seems exceedingly unlikely Padma could still be in town without either one of the cast running into her, or Sam spilling the beans somehow.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #403 on: 27 Feb 2015, 18:22 »

Even more mindblowing: You can totally illustrate both parts with your hands: Right hand palm towards you, left hand flat on top with the thumb slightly downward to connect to the tip of the mitten and pinky up. Michigan!  :mrgreen:

And here I thought that "double peninsula" meant that you lived on the thumb. A peninsula of a peninsula would be a double peninsula. Otherwise it's just two single peninsulas passing in the night, never to meet.

Well, I do live in the thumb, oddly enough :-p

Endellion

• Obscure cultural reference
  • I pun, therefore I am
« Reply #404 on: 27 Feb 2015, 19:12 »

I wonder if we won't see a familiar face or two at the support group.  Steve seems to have had a booze problem after he broke up with Ellen.  It was what led to his recruitment by whatever section of US intelligence he works for.  It could make for a good excuse to bring back some character from the past who's been MIA for a long time.

Can't really see that, the only other person I've seen in the entirety of the comic (apart from Steve on two occasions) who uses substances to an excessive amount is Tai, and I don't think she sees that as a problem to get help with.
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #405 on: 27 Feb 2015, 19:19 »

Can it really be said she used to an extensive amount? We've seen her admit to being to high to work once. And she may have even been lying about it to avoid showing the interns around. Probably not, but it's still pretty uncommon for us to have actually seen or heard about her getting high, and I don't remember ever seeing her drunk. I'm just saying that use does not automatically mean excessive use.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #406 on: 27 Feb 2015, 19:21 »

She was totally high on the interns' first day, bloodshot eyes and everything. It's why she and Momo went in the back to watch Adventure Time and Marten got stuck with the grunt work, as it were.

Endellion

• I pun, therefore I am
« Reply #407 on: 27 Feb 2015, 19:58 »

Can it really be said she used to an extensive amount? We've seen her admit to being to high to work once. And she may have even been lying about it to avoid showing the interns around. Probably not, but it's still pretty uncommon for us to have actually seen or heard about her getting high, and I don't remember ever seeing her drunk. I'm just saying that use does not automatically mean excessive use.

Tai suggests that she uses a quite a bit here, don't really know if it is to a certain degree that she should seek help (probably not tbh) but regardless she wouldn't.
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

Radium_Coyote

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #408 on: 27 Feb 2015, 22:06 »

Given the sort of person Faye is, I'm not entirely convinced that a "support group" will necessarily be helpful.  The first thing you have to do is care what a bunch of random strangers think about your personal problems.  Her gut had her go to an old friend... not so sure this will work out, despite being an obvious set-up.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #409 on: 27 Feb 2015, 22:51 »

Welcome, new person!

You're on to something. If Faye goes through with this, it will be character development.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #410 on: 27 Feb 2015, 23:03 »

I'd almost like to see Faye kicked out of a group like that because of her abrasiveness-- that might be come to Jesus moment for her in terms of accepting accountability for how her behavior hurts/is unfair to others.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
« Reply #411 on: 28 Feb 2015, 02:05 »

And here I thought that "double peninsula" meant that you lived on the thumb. A peninsula of a peninsula would be a double peninsula. Otherwise it's just two single peninsulas passing in the night, never to meet.

What is the highest order peninsula? Broager is a peninsula on Sundeved, which is a peninsula on Jutland, which is a peninsula on the European mainland, which is a peninsula on the Eurasian continent. Mols is a peninsula on Djursland, which is also a peninsula on Jutland.

Let us limit this to named, inhabited peninsulas.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #412 on: 28 Feb 2015, 04:36 »

It's peninsulas all the way down.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #413 on: 28 Feb 2015, 11:19 »

Isn't "peninsulas all the way down" just a stalactite? 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #414 on: 28 Feb 2015, 12:46 »

I'd almost like to see Faye kicked out of a group like that because of her abrasiveness-- that might be come to Jesus moment for her in terms of accepting accountability for how her behavior hurts/is unfair to others.

She had a moment of reflection long long ago when Raven called her on being mean, but she may well need another one.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #415 on: 28 Feb 2015, 19:47 »

I used to live down by the edge of the wrist, but now I'm more up by the gap between the middle and ring finger.

I still contend that the first person she sees at the support group will be.... SVEN.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #416 on: 28 Feb 2015, 20:17 »

I still contend that the first person she sees at the support group will be.... SVEN.

I was thinking that too, earlier today.  He got rebuffed by Faye roughly a week ago, according to the timeline.  If Dora actually went through with her threat to cut him out of her life, and did so sometime off-panel, those two rejections by people formerly close to him may have been enough of a clue that he has some problems he needs to address?  Of course, in typical Sven fashion, a regular therapist won't be enough; he'll need a bit of an audience to listen to his woes, so a support group will come in handy.  Either he's in the middle of an epic rant when Faye walks in, or:

Wednesday night.  Faye is leaving the therapy session at the community center.  Across the hall, another room is emptying out.  Somehow, in the muddle of people, she bumps into Sven.
SVEN: "Faye!"
FAYE: "You. Figures you'd be in the creepy group."
SVEN: "What the--you're the one in the creepy group, not me."
FAYE: "I'm the normal group! You're the creep!"
SVEN: "No--but--wait--"
FAYE: "But--that must mean--"
THERAPIST: *facepalm* "We have got to stop double-booking these things..."
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

rfrank dodelijk

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #417 on: 01 Mar 2015, 04:41 »

I was thinking that too, earlier today.  He got rebuffed by Faye roughly a week ago, according to the timeline.  If Dora actually went through with her threat to cut him out of her life, and did so sometime off-panel, those two rejections by people formerly close to him may have been enough of a clue that he has some problems he needs to address?  Of course, in typical Sven fashion, a regular therapist won't be enough; he'll need a bit of an audience to listen to his woes, so a support group will come in handy.  Either he's in the middle of an epic rant when Faye walks in, or:

Wednesday night.  Faye is leaving the therapy session at the community center.  Across the hall, another room is emptying out.  Somehow, in the muddle of people, she bumps into Sven.
SVEN: "Faye!"
FAYE: "You. Figures you'd be in the creepy group."
SVEN: "What the--you're the one in the creepy group, not me."
FAYE: "I'm the normal group! You're the creep!"
SVEN: "No--but--wait--"
FAYE: "But--that must mean--"
THERAPIST: *facepalm* "We have got to stop double-booking these things..."

my god! there is no creeps group, it's only mentioned to make the actual group feel better about themselves before they even turn up at the hall.
you're a genius, Gladstone.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #418 on: 01 Mar 2015, 05:01 »

Hehe, flump.

Almost as good a word as defenestrate.

Defenestrate : To convert to Linux
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #419 on: 01 Mar 2015, 05:09 »

It's just my way of supporting the process, I guess.

I usually just make sex jokes. Those help, probably.

I'm just here for the puns.
Knitting/Sewing puns are earlier in the thread.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Endellion

• I pun, therefore I am
« Reply #420 on: 01 Mar 2015, 09:12 »

I was a bit out if the loop when those were posted, when I looked at them it was about sewn up

eschaton

• Furry furrier
« Reply #421 on: 01 Mar 2015, 10:27 »

Sven will *not* be in rehab, at least not for substance abuse. 

It's been established by Dora that Sven is the sort of person who has faced no real adversity in life - that's part of why she resents him so much.  So even though we've seen him drunk/talking about being drunk on occasion, he's almost certainly the kind of dude who can dabble casually in things and be none for the worse.  Or perhaps the kind of guy who used to be way more into taking substances, but managed to lower his intake and get his life together without actually getting "sober" per se.

The most obvious secondary character to have in rehab would be Jimbo.  It would actually be pretty funny, because Jimbo embarking on a major life change every time he pops back into the strip is a pretty well established convention.  That said, Jimbo is almost certainly older than the main cast (e.g., over 30) so I doubt he would be in the support group.

Steve is the only other real possibility.  We know he's gone on amazing drunken benders in the past.  However, we also know that within the last few months of comic time he was sharing beers with Martin and Sven, so he's clearly still drinking casually. 

It's possible that the reason the rehab ad seemed so tailored to Faye wasn't a Chekov's Gun, but to make explicit how much Faye does not want to go through formal rehab - to the point that even one which makes clear it doesn't involve religion or creeps still turns her off.  Her evasive answer to Hanners is a bit hard to read - still it seems more like bravado than anything - something she's turning around in her head, but not willing to share.

I think if Jeph goes the rehab route, it's going to be in part because it will allow him to show new characters as well.  We may see some older favorites, but I'm 100% sure we'll see 2-3 more guest characters weave their way into the story as well.  Meaning the pace will slow down even further.   :mrgreen:

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #422 on: 01 Mar 2015, 11:05 »

Yeah, my bad.  My brain skipped over the "Substance Abuse" part of the support group, latched onto the parenthetical bit about creeps, and thought of Sven.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #423 on: 01 Mar 2015, 17:09 »

No, sewing puns are all along the thread. I could tell you about the knitting puns, but it would be quite a yarn.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #424 on: 01 Mar 2015, 21:38 »

I'd prefer some pearls of wisdom.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #425 on: 01 Mar 2015, 21:54 »

I'd prefer some pearls of wisdom.

Well, then, the world's your oyster.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #426 on: 01 Mar 2015, 21:57 »

Muscling the Thread in a new direction I see.
James The Kugai 

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #427 on: 01 Mar 2015, 21:58 »

Man, I really hope the puns don't invade this new weeks WCDT as well.  :roll:
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #428 on: 01 Mar 2015, 22:00 »

They might

Aaaaaannnnd

They might not

You never know

James The Kugai 

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #429 on: 01 Mar 2015, 22:02 »

I have a lot to do this week! I can't be wasting my time getting irrationally mad at jokes on the internet!

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #430 on: 01 Mar 2015, 22:14 »

Careful. Do that and you might flounder.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #431 on: 01 Mar 2015, 22:22 »

Man, I really hope the puns don't invade this new weeks WCDT as well.  :roll:

Yeah, good luck with that. These jokers never clam up.  :clairedoge:

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #432 on: 01 Mar 2015, 22:24 »

Give him a few aspirin for that haddock and send him on his way.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #433 on: 01 Mar 2015, 22:26 »

I'm sad because I know a lot about marine habitats, but now I can't join in because I already complained. Also, if I did, I may seriously start punching myself.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #434 on: 01 Mar 2015, 22:30 »

Maybe a tilefish will make you feel better.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #435 on: 01 Mar 2015, 22:31 »

PS: Why so crabby?

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #436 on: 01 Mar 2015, 22:40 »

We're not annoying you on porpoise, explicit.
Mistakes, ahoy!

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
« Reply #437 on: 02 Mar 2015, 01:55 »

This is how you guys made me feel.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #438 on: 02 Mar 2015, 09:39 »

Cast a wider net, perhaps?

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #439 on: 02 Mar 2015, 12:14 »

Orcalm down a bit
James The Kugai 

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #440 on: 02 Mar 2015, 16:25 »

Eel be fine.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #441 on: 02 Mar 2015, 18:15 »

Hoki
James The Kugai 

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #442 on: 04 Mar 2015, 13:08 »

I like the idea of Faye being hired to make something like a transforming monster truck. But since such things already exist in our world (google is your friend), it will have to be something more outlandish.
If outlandish but not too outlandish, may I suggest Monster Truck that transforms into a Texas BBQ/smoker.

Outlandish would be a sculpture of a [insert political mascot here] that serves soft serve ice-cream.
... random thoughts .... stream of consciousness ..... old aussie tv shows ....
Steam Donkey   ... Eureka! That's it!!  ...... a Steam Donkey with a modified design to do something practical in the most abstract way. [now it will never happen]

Maybe? If anything, they have to have a joke joke about a mitten-shaped peninsula. One that isn't 'Michigan is the hand and Florida is the dick'. That's one's been done.
USA as the pants for Canada but what the heck is that hand doing?

Lets not be shellfish about the puns though.
Once your hooked, your hooked.
To those who say "Don't do rugs" or some such yarn I say, Toupee.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up