THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Apr 2024, 06:23
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who Will Faye Meet and What Substance Are They Abusing?

Tai - Pot
- 11 (13.8%)
Sven - Luuurrrve
- 24 (30%)
Marten - Zen
- 3 (3.8%)
Dora - Coffee
- 5 (6.3%)
Jim - Muffins
- 6 (7.5%)
Sam - Cane Toad Secretions
- 10 (12.5%)
Hannelore - Antiseptic Mouthwash
- 14 (17.5%)
Dale - Maple Syrup
- 7 (8.8%)

Total Members Voted: 74

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2907-2911 (2nd - 6th March 2015)  (Read 59646 times)

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
Re: WCDT 2907-2911 (2nd - 6th March 2015)
« Reply #250 on: 04 Mar 2015, 17:40 »

*5 months from now*

"You know what! Every in the comic now has a fully functioning penis, and it'll be ATTACHED TO THEIR FACE, I'm sick of this shit!" - Jeph
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

K1dmor

• Beyoncé
« Reply #251 on: 04 Mar 2015, 17:40 »

There aren't a lot of dumb people here ...

Ahem *raises hand*

I know, I thought it was kinda mean for him to do that to us dumb people. We may be the minority, but we are proud people!

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #252 on: 04 Mar 2015, 17:44 »

Ahem *raises hand*

I know, I thought it was kinda mean for him to do that to us dumb people. We may be the minority, but we are proud people!

Add me to the dumb pile. I say metric shittons of stupid shit on a daily basis.

Traptin

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #253 on: 04 Mar 2015, 17:46 »

Ahem *raises hand*

Add me to the dumb pile. I say metric shittons of stupid shit on a daily basis.

I googled pictures of goatse, so I qualify to the intellectual reserve as well! :-D
I'm an educated man, I read various remarkable books, but I cannot understand the direction I myself want to go, whether to live or to shoot myself, as it were. So, in case, I always carry a revolver about with me. - Epikhodov

Mr. Black Licorice

• Obscure cultural reference
  • ... and a bottle of rum.
« Reply #254 on: 04 Mar 2015, 17:52 »

Ahem *raises hand*

Then there's a pair of us — don't tell! They'd banish us, you know.

"To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."
- Socrates

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."
- Confucius

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
- Isaac Asimov

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #255 on: 04 Mar 2015, 18:01 »

Ahem *raises hand*

Then there's a pair of us — don't tell! They'd banish us, you know.

"To know, is to know that you know nothing. That is the meaning of true knowledge."
- Socrates

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance."
- Confucius

"People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do."
- Isaac Asimov

Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #256 on: 04 Mar 2015, 18:37 »

All we need to say about Dora's actions - and the likely last word on (today's) comic that we'll have - is exactly what Jeph said in the news post:

"You idiot."
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #257 on: 04 Mar 2015, 18:41 »

I'm wondering -- could Dora put herself in the hospital through a combination of exhaustion (from taking over Faye's hours) and something like tonsillitis or walking pneumonia? Afaik she's never had a history of cutting or ED but overworking herself is something that's not only part of her character, it's the part that is both her virtue and vice.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #258 on: 04 Mar 2015, 18:47 »

I feel the snark coming on. I shall attempt to suppress it...

Is everyone criticizing Dora and Tai's handling of that conversation a perfect being or something? Because, aside from how unnatural the dialogue lite thing feels after 10+ years of QC, the flow of that fail felt perfectly natural. Two humans who think they are both on the same subject, but aren't. And it's not clear that they weren't until someone gets hurt.

They both deserve a little slack. From each other and from the Statler and Waldorf seats.

Ahem *raises hand*

Umm... I hate to be the one who has to explain this, but valkgrrl and explicit are incapable of speech. You gotta be careful with those able-ist words ;Þ

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book
« Reply #259 on: 04 Mar 2015, 18:54 »

A quick reminder:
The problem isn't things we don't know, it's things we know that just ain't so.
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

ASB84

« Reply #260 on: 04 Mar 2015, 19:23 »

I feel the snark coming on. I shall attempt to suppress it...

Is everyone criticizing Dora and Tai's handling of that conversation a perfect being or something? Because, aside from how unnatural the dialogue lite thing feels after 10+ years of QC, the flow of that fail felt perfectly natural. Two humans who think they are both on the same subject, but aren't. And it's not clear that they weren't until someone gets hurt.

They both deserve a little slack. From each other and from the Statler and Waldorf seats.

I don't think anyone is suggesting they're not allowed to be imperfect. Everyone is just reacting to the latest development and giving their two cents on the situation. Since Jeph titled the comic "Dummy" and added the commentary "You idiot" in the news post, and given the subject matter, it only makes sense that we discuss the mistake, who's in the wrong, whether they still had a point, and so on.

I'd say the reaction is more "Whoa, you messed up there, Dora", rather than "How dare you mess up and not be perfect, Dora!". On the other side, there's the consideration of "Well, that probably wasn't the best approach, Tai...", not "You awful person Tai, you totally deserve to get your head bitten off!". From the majority of people involved in the discussion, at any rate.

Also, the fact that we aren't perfect beings doesn't invalidate any criticism of the characters, or commentary on their actions. Besides, I think there's actually been a good amount of balance and fair assessment in the discussion so far.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #261 on: 04 Mar 2015, 19:30 »

I appear to have been unclear in my thesis:

The discussion of the mistake generally hinges upon the basic thesis that the mistake was avoidable.

My argument is that it was not. To qote the philosopher Morpheus, "What happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way."

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #262 on: 04 Mar 2015, 19:42 »

The discussion of the mistake generally hinges upon the basic thesis that the mistake was avoidable.

My argument is that it was not. To qote the philosopher Morpheus, "What happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way."

I looked into that philosopher you quoted, Morpheus, and you’re right, “What happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way.” but as it turns out “Some things do change.”

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #263 on: 04 Mar 2015, 19:49 »

I looked into that philosopher you quoted, Morpheus, and you’re right, “What happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way.” but as it turns out “Some things do change.”

But you are forgetting that all of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #264 on: 04 Mar 2015, 19:50 »

Comic's up. Have to admit, Marigold's version of events would've made for an interesting storyline.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

HannahRose

• Plantmonster
« Reply #265 on: 04 Mar 2015, 19:51 »

Marigold is terrible at being a friend.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #266 on: 04 Mar 2015, 19:52 »

But you are forgetting that all of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again.
I should try and say something deep and intelligent here.
... There is no spoon?

ASB84

« Reply #267 on: 04 Mar 2015, 19:54 »

Technically speaking, the mistake was avoidable, though the fact the characters were unable to avoid it certainly does not make them bad people. The reasons why the mistake couldn't be avoided are also being discussed here; reasons that are not incomprehensible or unsympathetic, but issues the character needs to deal with nevertheless.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #268 on: 04 Mar 2015, 19:58 »

To quote Badger, "That only matters to the people on the outer rim!"
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #269 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:00 »

So say we all.
Mistakes, ahoy!

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #270 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:04 »

So say we all.

Valar morghulis

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB
« Reply #271 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:04 »

Sexy Fairy Man looks super engaging.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #272 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:06 »

My father tells me one of the most important skills to learn is always being able to repeat back two sentences whether you've heard them or not.

(My father may genuinely be a sitcom dad.)
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

ASB84

« Reply #273 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:08 »

To be fair, her account of things would've made for some interesting storylines, too.

Meanwhile, in an Alternate!Universe...

Mr. Black Licorice

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #275 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:14 »

Well, I still say Dora was in the wrong when she fired Marten, especially after that bear maimed Faye.  How will her lingering guilt over these developments affect her new relationship with Claire?
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Mr. Black Licorice

« Reply #276 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:18 »

Well, I still say Dora was in the wrong when she fired Marten, especially after that bear maimed Faye.  How will her lingering guilt over these developments affect her new relationship with Claire?

AND her feelings about Claire being an x-men style mutant.... Let's not forget that little relationship hurdle!

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #277 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:21 »

AND her feelings about Claire being an x-men style mutant.... Let's not forget that little relationship hurdle!

Look, the question of whether Claire's wings are flight-capable or just vestigial is entirely between her and Dora and none of our business, okay?
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #278 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:22 »

The theme of the comic is that it shouldn't matter to anyone if Claire is a member of the Ex-Men.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #279 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:28 »

Not necessarily. Marigold is a bit of an idiot when it comes to social interaction, she still hasn't twigged that when someone is talking to you, you do the polite thing and listen to them, you pay attention. Marigold is, in some ways, one of the most emotionally stunted people in the comic. Unless it directly affects her, she isn't really going to pay attention.

As it is, I imagine that beyond Momo and Dale, Hanners is the only real friend she has (especially with Angus having moved). That is no doubt affecting her, perhaps causing Marigold to retreat into herself and she mightn't actually care about hearing the latest escapades of Marten, Claire, Dora and Faye right now.

neurocase

• Furry furrier
« Reply #280 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:30 »

I try to like Marigold, I really do. The fanbase generally seems to like her, Jeph has mentioned at one point that he's her favorite character...but then she pulls shit like this. I know it's meant for comedy, but she's evolved from "sort of endearing social recluse making something of an effort" to "complacent, petulant, self-centered womanchild (manchild is a thing, so why not womanchild?) who doesn't particularly give a rats ass about anyone but herself"

A few sweet moments with Momo isn't enough to sell me on her, and it's strips like this that reenforce why.

Mr. Black Licorice

« Reply #281 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:34 »

The theme of the comic is that it shouldn't matter to anyone if Claire is a member of the Ex-Men.

Didn't think of that possible interpretation when I wrote that... Now I feel kinda foolish.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #282 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:40 »

Didn't think of that possible interpretation when I wrote that... Now I feel kinda foolish.
It's a very old joke there's no reason for you to be familiar with it.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #283 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:42 »

It's a very old joke there's no reason for you to be familiar with it.

Perhaps Marten's mother, famous Vaudeville comedienne Veronica Marx (now retired), could explain?

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #284 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:54 »

Well, one fine morning, late at night...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #285 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:55 »

Rained all night the day I left, the weather it was dry...
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Meilu

• Plantmonster
« Reply #286 on: 04 Mar 2015, 20:55 »

Bad trans jokes in the forum, blah.

Seems every character is a shadow of themselves lately. I'm frustrated with the whole thing, maybe I'll break for awhile and play catch-up later. Like when I get a computer after a few months years.

Mr. Black Licorice

« Reply #287 on: 04 Mar 2015, 21:01 »

I try to like Marigold, I really do. The fanbase generally seems to like her, Jeph has mentioned at one point that he's her favorite character...but then she pulls shit like this. I know it's meant for comedy, but she's evolved from "sort of endearing social recluse making something of an effort" to "complacent, petulant, self-centered womanchild (manchild is a thing, so why not womanchild?) who doesn't particularly give a rats ass about anyone but herself"

A few sweet moments with Momo isn't enough to sell me on her, and it's strips like this that reenforce why.

Eh... You see a complacent, petulant, self-centered woman-child, I see an introvert who really doesn't know much about these other people her friend is talking about. Yes, she's met them, but Marigold really hasn't interacted with the gang much. From her point of view, she's there to spend time with her friend Hanners - not talk about Hanners other friends.

Some people would much rather talk about ideas than people and others prefer interaction through games rather than direct conversation. I am, for one, not a great conversationalist unless you get me on a subject that I'm passionate about. I really don't like talking about other people... maybe Marigold is the same way?

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #288 on: 04 Mar 2015, 21:01 »

Bad trans jokes in the forum, blah.

If it makes you feel better I'm ashamed of myself for using a joke older than I am.

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #289 on: 04 Mar 2015, 21:06 »

Just from an introverted hermits point of view (which I am. No seriously, I'm a super hermit).

Sometimes when friends hang out, we don't JUST sit around and hang. Like maybe I'll be playing a game while they read through some of my TTRPG books or maybe my wife and a friend are playing a 2 player board game while I grab a snack. We don't know exactly the context of what was going on before Hanners started talking. There are PLENTY of times where I'm reading something, playing something, etc, and someone starts talking to me and it takes me a minute to catch up to the fact that I didn't hear a word they said because I was already in the middle of something else.

... Now usually I also admit that I had no idea what they said, but there is an urge to try and cover before you just accept this will happen. Because extroverted people sometimes feel like you should immediately drop everything you are doing and pay attention to them the moment they open their mouths. That being said, I don't think Hanners is the type to do this. If Marigold had said "oh sorry, I was distraced, what were you saying?" I'm sure Hanners wouldn't have been annoyed at all.

So basically, I get why Marigold did that, and its not "being a woman-child" its being a really introverted person and possibly a lack of context of how the conversation started and being defensive because some people really do react badly to the fact the world doesn't revolve around them (even though I don't think Hanners is one of those people)

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #290 on: 04 Mar 2015, 21:12 »

I thought it was a funny strip, not least because of the implicit contrast between these forums where every nuance of every interaction is picked over endlessly, versus Marigold, who's actually living in the midst of this drama, and can't be bothered to keep up with it even vaguely. I think this is Jeph's way of telling us all to get a life.

I also love the fact that Marbear's apartment has those cheesy roll-up shades in the windows. Haven't seen those since the house I grew up in.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #291 on: 04 Mar 2015, 21:15 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #292 on: 04 Mar 2015, 21:27 »

I'll agree with the woman-child thing and haven't really liked Marigold since that time she ditched Dale.

But todays just a cute comic and in her defense she is reading a manga about butts.

Zog

• Plantmonster
« Reply #293 on: 04 Mar 2015, 21:28 »

The Report to Moderator button is 100% justified in cases like the jerk upthread. If you're new and not sure when to use it, that situation was a good example.

Thank you. I hovered over the button a few times when the post was new, then decided  that maybe  I was overreacting.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #294 on: 04 Mar 2015, 21:33 »

Oh, that passed right over my head when I read it.  My bad.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #295 on: 04 Mar 2015, 21:36 »

As a hermit and introvert (I have not spoken to a friend in over 3 weeks. I have not seen a friend in over 5 months. I have not spoken to anyone outside of commercial transactions in that time), I can say that Marigold is being an ass.

Admittedly, she's awkward enough that she probably is unaware of that, but she has invited an friend into her home and proceeded to read tiny hentai while that friend is attempting to engage her.

Context unknown, if you really just what to read tiny hentai, you don't invite friends over. If friends show up unexpectedly, you either have vaginal fortitude to tell them it is tiny hentai time, or you put the book down and welcome them into this slice of your life. No matter how rude the other party ma have been in not providing warning, once you let them in, you have taken responsibility.

That said, Faye Whitaker burned down a building, terrorized her friends to the point where they seem to have PTSD with regard to her, and had hot makeouts on Hanners's couch. Faye has not been abandoned by Hannelore (or incarcerated), so I expect Hanners is going to be able to deal with Marigold too.

In fact, the only friend Hanners seems to have who isn't a repeated challenge to her abilities is Marten... at least on Earth.

I'm an introvert and a hermit because there aren't enough actual Martens and Hannelores in the world. I don't even know if I'm difficult to put up with.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #296 on: 04 Mar 2015, 21:50 »

I'll agree with the woman-child thing and haven't really liked Marigold since that time she ditched Dale.

But todays just a cute comic and in her defense she is reading a manga about butts.

Plus, if you're outside the drama, it's got to feel like "same shit, different day" .... "Oh wow, Claire and Marten are finally dating? Faye finally got fired for drinking? Dora's still pushing people away? Color me surprised!"

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #297 on: 04 Mar 2015, 21:53 »

It's not the fact that she's a Hermit and a bit Introverted here, it's the fact that she's not really paying attention to Hanners here.

Ya know, this is becoming something of a theme lately.

I hope Jeph's not getting into a rut.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #298 on: 04 Mar 2015, 22:03 »

Less a rut and more like covering in 6 months what he could have covered in 3. Two, except there was this whole decent into alcohol induced emergency involved.

Marigold as "bad friend" is a gun Jeph hung on the wall a while ago. It's the nature of this new beast that it takes a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

oooooooooooooooooooooong time for the dots to connect. Alos, given his semi-seat-of-the-pants production style, it's equally likely that he might forget he's already covered something, feel it's been so long that he needs to refresh the reader, or just abandon the plot.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #299 on: 04 Mar 2015, 22:10 »

Eh... You see a complacent, petulant, self-centered woman-child, I see an introvert who really doesn't know much about these other people her friend is talking about. Yes, she's met them, but Marigold really hasn't interacted with the gang much. From her point of view, she's there to spend time with her friend Hanners - not talk about Hanners other friends.

Some people would much rather talk about ideas than people and others prefer interaction through games rather than direct conversation. I am, for one, not a great conversationalist unless you get me on a subject that I'm passionate about. I really don't like talking about other people... maybe Marigold is the same way?

I'm as introverted as they come, but I don't chalk her behavior up to introversion in this case. It's just self-centered. People talk to me about things I find dull all the time, but I listen, because that's what you do when you're talking with a friend (and because God knows, their eyes probably glaze over when I get going about things I find interesting, but they humor me anyway). She can't even be bothered to make a halfway decent show of listening.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10   Go Up