THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:21
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 5: A New Beginning  (Read 148272 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Blog Thread 5: A New Beginning
« Reply #250 on: 18 May 2016, 13:40 »

You're still out a potter's wheel, though, right?

No; did I not report more at the time?  I got a refund from PayPal, and negotiated to buy the wheel already in my possession from its true owner at a reduced price, though not as cheap as before (but I paid no shipping as PayPal had also refunded that!).

Here it is:

In the new pottery studio:

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #251 on: 18 May 2016, 16:54 »

So much stuff has been happening in my corner of the Universe over the last six months, I'm amazed I can remember my name.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #252 on: 23 May 2016, 05:44 »

It's nice to know that the perpetrators have been caught.
I can't help thinking they should be buried on Potters Field.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #253 on: 23 May 2016, 06:28 »

Nice one!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #254 on: 23 May 2016, 09:05 »

For 30 pieces of silver?
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Orkboy

• Beyoncé
  • Yelling angrily at the universe.
    • Bloodgood's Bloody Good Beer Blog
« Reply #255 on: 23 May 2016, 10:17 »

I started a blog, but no one reads it, so I'm metaphorically muttering to myself in a corner.  Still, writing it gives me something to do, and without something to do, I go a bit mad. 

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #256 on: 25 May 2016, 13:55 »

I got really excited cause this hospital was honestly considering me for a position with them, and this would mean I can get out of my current job and do something with my degree/certification. Finally got a phone interview going only to learn that the place I was applying for was a 4 hour drive away because Michigan is dumb and has cities with similar names. Thankfully I learned this at the top of the interview and not after a half an hour.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #257 on: 01 Jul 2016, 14:17 »

The bugs from hell did this to me:
http://imgur.com/a/BZS7I

They will never be able to do it again.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #258 on: 02 Aug 2016, 16:43 »

New avatar. Temp. Maybe not. Moving on from pointing out dicks for now.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #259 on: 02 Aug 2016, 17:56 »

New avatar. Temp. Maybe not. Moving on from pointing out dicks for now.

But then how will I know if something/one is a dick now?
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #260 on: 02 Aug 2016, 18:25 »

Let your heart be your guide. It will tell you if the dick is there.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #261 on: 09 Aug 2016, 09:48 »

I saw a piece of silk embroidery from Suzhou, which I gather is about an hour from Akima's birthplace.

If you had told me that the human race was being replaced by a superior species, and that this artwork was a sample of what they could do and proof that they were beyond human, I would have believed you.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #262 on: 10 Aug 2016, 03:56 »

Yes, Suzhou (苏州 Soo-Joe) is 100km or so from Shanghai. It's an attractive place, with a lot of old buildings along canals. It's a popular tourist destination, so in places it's a bit tacky, but it still has a lot of charm, and anywhere sampans still ply the waterways warms my Huangpu-waterfront heart.

Silk embroidery has been an established art-form in China for many centuries, with the oldest surviving piece coming from a tomb built in the 5th century BCE, I think. Suzhou is particularly renowned, and is the centre of one of the four main styles of embroidery, Su Xiu (苏绣, soo-shiu).
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #263 on: 03 Sep 2016, 12:19 »

My parents lived in Suzhou for a year. I am a little bit bummed that I never was able to visit, but then again, I don't think I would have enjoyed it that much. After a few days I probably would be stressed out by the crowds and the traffic. Same reason why I don't plan on living in NYC or LA.
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #264 on: 24 Sep 2016, 15:35 »

I got good news on a biopsy report. It wasn't the carcinoma that two doctors had suspected.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #265 on: 24 Sep 2016, 16:36 »

Good-oh!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #266 on: 29 Sep 2016, 05:17 »

Saw dentist this morning; having tooth out after lunch.  It'll be the first tooth I've lost, but it has become a nuisance.  Still, coward that I am, it scares me a little (that's my emotional reaction, not rational).

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #267 on: 29 Sep 2016, 08:20 »

You can have one of mine.  I have extra.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #268 on: 01 Oct 2016, 02:46 »

The stitches are out at the biopsy site. Also, my dad has been able to resume solid food after the surgery and complications that led to my first airplane flight since the strip-search machines went in, for the trip I had to cut short in order to fly back for the biopsy.

"The 'Time' project was our last, best hope to keep everything from happening at once. It failed."

Most recently I made a batch of chocolate chip chocolate fudge cookies.
« Last Edit: 01 Oct 2016, 02:51 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #269 on: 01 Oct 2016, 05:01 »

I should have reported back: the extraction was a non-event.  Out of the dentist's surgery in 20 minutes; no pain after; mouth feels more comfortable straight off.  I just have to remember to bias my eating to the other side until I eventually forget and find it doesn't matter any more.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #270 on: 01 Oct 2016, 14:07 »

Hooray! So the NHS fixed the problems they had with dental care a while back?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #271 on: 01 Oct 2016, 14:54 »

Did they?  I didn't really notice.  Well, there was a time when it was hard to find a dentist to do work on NHS terms, but that's fine now, I think.  So my extraction cost Ł54 (which includes the examination, which would have been Ł20 on its own). 

The way the charging works is that there is a set cost (3 bands: Ł20, Ł54, Ł234) per course of treatment, the cost being determined by the most expensive item.  So, examination: Ł20; fillings, root canal, extraction: Ł54; crowns and bridges Ł234.  But the charge is for all the items recommended for the course of treatment - so if I'd needed all four wisdom teeth out at once, for instance, that's still one charge of Ł54.  And when I had three crowns, that was one charge of whatever the scale was 15 or so years ago (but I couldn't have had white ones on those terms, which I didn't care about).  But unlike eyes, teeth get no exemption for age.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #272 on: 13 Oct 2016, 17:13 »

Guys, I made a mistake. I've very suddenly ended up in a situation where I need a new car and I have a budget to get one and I think I've fallen in love and I don't get it. I don't even have it or have seen it in person but after hours of searching it was like, "YES! You!" The last time I felt something like this was when I got my engagement ring. I don't even care about cars but now I'm going to be really disappointed if I can't get this one specifically.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #273 on: 14 Oct 2016, 17:03 »

Update: Insurance would be too expensive. Poop.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #274 on: 23 Oct 2016, 11:41 »

So I've been kind of... a satellite floating around this forum for the past couple of months. Many, many things have gone on with me in that time and if I was to split them into all the relevant threads it would cover panic, depression, TMI, relationship and probably a couple more along the way. And it's long, so I am spoiling it.
(click to show/hide)
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #275 on: 23 Oct 2016, 14:14 »

Sounds like a good situation and I'm glad you've found something that is working for you. :)

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #276 on: 23 Oct 2016, 22:42 »

So I've been kind of... a satellite floating around this forum for the past couple of months. Many, many things have gone on with me in that time and if I was to split them into all the relevant threads it would cover panic, depression, TMI, relationship and probably a couple more along the way. And it's long, so I am spoiling it.
(click to show/hide)
I felt like that for years after my wife died. Saw pieces of her everywhere, in everything. Places we'd go together, things we did together, movies we watched together, foods we ate together, music we listened to together. It felt like drowning at times, drowning in a sea of memories. Like trying to find water in the middle of the ocean, surrounded by her but never being able to touch her. It still happens sometimes, I'll be going along with my day, perfectly fine, and then I'll see or hear or think of something that reminds me of her and it's like getting kicked in the stomach. It doesn't happen as often now, and that is both a relief and deeply saddening. On the one hand, I am healing and letting go of my grief, and on the other hand it's like I'm slowly losing what little I have left of her.

I am glad things are turning around for you. I hope this new situation works out. You deserve a place to feel safe and welcome
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #277 on: 25 Oct 2016, 14:23 »

So, uhm, I'm still around. I'm still really busy, have a lot of people demanding my time, and I still don't have much time for this place. I'm sorry, all you friendly people, I'll be back.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #278 on: 25 Oct 2016, 15:34 »

I'm glad. We've missed you. :)

I am glad things are turning around for you. I hope this new situation works out. You deserve a place to feel safe and welcome
Just saying "this" seems inadequate. You're a good guy, and an important part of the community here, and I'm glad things are turning around for you.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #279 on: 25 Oct 2016, 16:16 »

Hodges and I live very near to each other,

Quite apart from that present coincidence, I know [Thrillho's town] well.  It was my first wife's family home, and my own family had friends there from my earliest childhood (I have a memory of getting lost there when supposedly meeting my family off a bus at the age of 9, and a local bobbie [policeman] setting this crying young person on the right track - I'd caught a bus that took a different route).  I even lived there myself for a couple of years.

It's a very pleasant country town, but like so many such is devoid of anything much going on for, well, people of any age, really.  And yes, it's small - I can see that unhappy reminders would be impossible to avoid.  Moving to a new base is clearly indicated.

(PM me if I can help - but note that I am about to be out of the country for the next several weeks)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #280 on: 26 Oct 2016, 06:44 »

Thanks for the offer hodges.

Now that I think about it, this town was also the place where my divorce happened, so it's got two layers of bad memories attached to it.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #281 on: 04 Dec 2016, 05:08 »

I met an actual libertarian today and had a chat with him. He couldn't fit the stereotype better, talked about using pick-up-artist methods in business relationships. He seemed to be almost entirely devoid of morals. It's a strange feeling to encounter someone who is in many ways very similar to you, but diametrically opposed to everything you hold dear. I think I'll call it 'platonic hate'.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #282 on: 12 Dec 2016, 20:51 »

I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #283 on: 15 Dec 2016, 00:45 »

I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.

HOLY SHIT

HOW WAS IT?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #284 on: 15 Dec 2016, 01:02 »

Much like any other Holiday Inn, I presume?  That's the thing about chains - uniformity.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #285 on: 06 Jan 2017, 13:08 »

HA ha ha HA ha ha . *eyebrows*

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #286 on: 12 Jan 2017, 19:25 »

I stay at Hampton Inns and Hilton properties.
they are uniformly (boring) Good.
not because I'm a snob or wealthy. 
It's simply all the others I've stayed at were uniformly BAD. Horrendous.
When I open the room door, and the smell makes ME think of dead bodies... I ain't staying there.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #287 on: 15 Jan 2017, 10:07 »

It appears that just seven months after I reported it and over fifteen months since it was first noted by the community, Tumblr have fixed their IPv6 configuration which was preventing me seeing about half the Alice Grove comics (and a bunch of other stuff).  One less cause to grumble, I guess.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #288 on: 21 Jan 2017, 14:55 »

My legs are sore but I'm feeling better.

The Women's March in my area drew a diverse crowd and had unanimously friendly spectators.

I hate crowds but this is a time for being outside my comfort zone.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #289 on: 25 Jan 2017, 19:28 »

Happy Australia Day, everyone:
"We are one, but we are many
 And from all the lands on earth we come
 We share a dream and sing with one voice:
 I am, you are, we are Australian."

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #290 on: 30 Jan 2017, 14:28 »

So a life update from me forthcoming shortly. If you can't be arsed to read all of it, and Lord knows I don't blame you, if you have any insight into the following question, then please do help:

I'm going to New York in two weeks, for a six-day work trip. I will be outside a lot. We're taking a boat on the Hudson at some point. I have not prepared whatsoever for this for reasons I will go into later on, but yeah... I've never been to New York or even the US before, so HALP. WHAT DO I NEED? WHAT DO I PACK? AHHHHH?

Anyway, boring life rambles.

(click to show/hide)

Now please help me with New York! I have on my list of things to buy, thermal gloves, thermal underwear and top of some sort to be worn under my clothes, and possibly even a thermal snood, and a decent coat because mine, as much as I love it, will not do the job.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #291 on: 12 Mar 2017, 17:43 »

Visiting Orlando, Florida in a couple weeks. Most of the days already are filled with stuff but not sure what to do on the free days. Research makes it look a bit hard to get around without a car so hopefully can find some places to stay most of the day.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #292 on: 05 Apr 2017, 09:25 »

There's a deer lying down in my back yard as though it were safe at home.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #293 on: 08 Apr 2017, 02:10 »

Orlando was a lot of fun. It was a bit of pain to get around because had to taxi everywhere. Needed that holiday more than I even realised.

Grognard

« Reply #294 on: 11 Apr 2017, 21:10 »

when in Orlando, we get the cheapest tiniest rental car we can fit everyone into.
last time was a Mitsubishi ...something.  I think the Fiat was bigger.
but it was still cheaper than the taxi.
nnot by much, but had the bonus of not waiting and independence.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #295 on: 11 Apr 2017, 21:38 »

If I was a much more confident driver I might have considered renting a car. Definitely saw the appeal.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #296 on: 12 Apr 2017, 13:13 »

Just found out that my given- and last name together anagram to 'crazes and lush'. I may need to have a word with the parental units ...
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2017, 04:00 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Grognard

« Reply #297 on: 13 Apr 2017, 20:49 »

sounds like skeletons in the family closet.

or stoners.

there's moonshiners in mine.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #298 on: 23 Apr 2017, 15:55 »

I lifted 1440 lbs today.

Not all at once, 36 40lb bags of topsoil that I needed to fix the damage to my lawn caused by the heavy machinery that the plumbers used to rip out my driveway last autumn.

(I know that's a really bad run on sentence, but I'm tired and don't care)
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #299 on: 02 May 2017, 00:58 »

Person in front of me in my lecture is reading QC. Hehe.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 13   Go Up