THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:14
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 5: A New Beginning  (Read 148231 times)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Re: Blog Thread 5: A New Beginning
« Reply #300 on: 02 May 2017, 14:10 »

I'm going to Ireland for a friend's wedding on Thursday! :D I'll be there for for a week and a bit - anyone know some good places to go around central Ireland?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #301 on: 29 May 2017, 18:30 »

I sneezed and my back went out.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #302 on: 29 May 2017, 18:47 »

Been there, mate.  :cry:

Feel better soon.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #303 on: 27 Sep 2017, 23:49 »

My wife and I went out to dinner tonight at the restaurant where we got engaged twenty years ago and booked the same table we had that night.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #304 on: 02 Oct 2017, 14:50 »

Putting this here rather than anxiety/stress because while I'm full of that, it's the good productive kind. Lots of emails today.

Couple last minute invites too. Had a dress fitting and there's a bit more needed done than expected but not a scary amount.
I've been pushing my waking hour forward bit by bit to prepare for the 4:30am start which is going to be the hardest part of the day. I'm working every day to and including Saturday which helps push me.

As well as work, I had my fitting today. Have a therapy appointment Wednesday. Lunch with man of honour and a vet appointment on Thursday. Dentist on Friday. Only little appointments but they add to the busy feeling.

Can't wait till the day properly starts. Having the schedule lined up, while being prepared for the day to do its own thing, helps settle me a lot. I can shut down that critical voice in my head by looking at that timetable pretty effectively.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #305 on: 07 Oct 2017, 15:16 »

While getting my dress fitting the person said, "I think that boob needs to be higher." I responded, "No, the other one is just bigger."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #306 on: 08 Oct 2017, 19:58 »

It's already October 9 for our European and Australian members.

October 9 ten years ago is when I registered my account.

I have been here ten years. It is a strange thought.

This place has stretched my mind and introduced me to some remarkable people, including one who is the kind you don't meet just every lifetime.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Metope

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #307 on: 11 Oct 2017, 21:52 »

You've been here longer than I have! My 10 year anniversary is coming up in January. I'm not around much these days, but I pop in from time to time.
Quote from: Meebo
[00:07] Liz: Jordan tell us how you feel about Edison.
[00:08] Ozy: FUCK YOU LIZ
[00:08] Ozy: has left the room

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #308 on: 11 Oct 2017, 22:17 »

I just checked, and I have been on here a little over eleven years.
How time flies when you're having fun.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #309 on: 12 Oct 2017, 00:43 »

including one who is the kind you don't meet just every lifetime.

Is it Akima, and is that a Mulan joke?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #310 on: 12 Oct 2017, 01:11 »

I assumed he meant ZoeB (sorry Akima!); but both are worthy candidates.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #311 on: 13 Oct 2017, 01:10 »

That's what I thought as well, but then I saw that (possible) joke.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #312 on: 14 Oct 2017, 22:48 »

The 20th anniversary party went off OK. The centerpiece was my wife and I singing a duet of "Save the Best for Last". I took singing lessons starting earlier this year so I'd be able to do that.  My singing tutor came to the party. Several people there complimented him on his work.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #313 on: 20 Oct 2017, 19:29 »

I'm sick. It's frying my mind. Earlier today I started a search for a cap I'd been wearing to combat the chills. (Not just any chills. I'm wearing a lopapeysa indoors and am not really comfortable).

The eventual outcome of the search was that I was still wearing the cap.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #314 on: 21 Oct 2017, 05:18 »

The 20th anniversary party went off OK. The centerpiece was my wife and I singing a duet of "Save the Best for Last". I took singing lessons starting earlier this year so I'd be able to do that.  My singing tutor came to the party. Several people there complimented him on his work.

Yay!
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #315 on: 22 Oct 2017, 19:26 »

Today I was reading a book about overcoming insomnia and fell asleep.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #316 on: 23 Oct 2017, 04:46 »

Today I was reading a book about overcoming insomnia and fell asleep.

IT WORKED !!

:)

(The last chapter actually says.. "If you got here and did not fall asleep - please buy my next book "TRULY Overcoming Insomnia!" "  :)  )
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #317 on: 03 Nov 2017, 01:51 »

Call it hubris, call it confidence, call it anything you like so long as you don't call it late for dinner. I'm fairly confident there's some folks here who still remember me, so I'd like to check in and say hi, and also fill you in on what's been going on. Don't know why I feel so sentimental, or why I feel inclined to drop this on y'all, I just kinda wanna.

Now, the question is where to start.

I honestly can't remember where my life was at when I posted here last. I was probably still working that dead-end job at the glorified liquor store, aka BevMo. Well, I quit that. I took a summer off in order to revisit my old haunt of Sitka, Alaska, and worked in the seafood processing industry up there. I had the greatest summer of my entire life while I was there, made some amazing friends, made some equally amazing (and sometimes equally stupid) decisions, came home in one piece, and immediately found a girlfriend and a different job.

The new job was at a coffee shop in the middle of the downtown area of my town (at the time). I'd been going there for years, had some friends who worked there. The previous management (with whom I'd had beef) had quit, which afforded me the opportunity of getting my foot in the door. Got the job, no problem. Things were cool, until I realized just how poorly the place was run. I used to come home from work and literally collapse onto my bed crying, it was that bad. And this was just a couple months after I'd spent a whole summer in Alaska getting coated in fish guts and fluids, working 16+ hour days, taking Adderall in the mornings just to wake the fuck up and getting obliterated on cheap plastic bottle whiskey so I could numb my aching body enough to go to sleep. That's how bad this coffee job was, it actually was worse than Alaska.

I wound up losing that job because I took to the store's employees-only Facebook page and compared him to Hitler in a hilarious meme. I regret nothing.

Literally the next day, after posting a status on my personal FB page about having two thumbs and being jobless, I was offered an interview by a friend who was the GM of the restaurant across the street, which is a local landmark and institution. I aced the interview, I quickly worked my way into being the kitchen expeditor (expo), and worked there for a year.

Some of y'all may remember that my dad and I didn't always get along. Well, during this time I spent working at the restaurant, we had both started making earnest, genuine efforts to fix that. It was working beautifully. Holidays first, then weekends, then weekdays, occasionally just shooting the shit over the phone or via text. Then, we found out he was sick. And shortly afterward, we found out how sick: pancreatic cancer. If you don't know much about pancreatic cancer, let me school you some: It's fast. It's efficient. It's everything you want from a machine or an employee, and nothing you want from a lethal disease. From the time he was diagnosed until he drew his last breath, it might have been six weeks. I don't know who had it easier, me or him. Because at least he isn't hurting anymore, and I've never stopped hurting. But at least I'm alive, so I've got that going for me? Who fuckin knows man. It gets easier to deal with, but it's no picnic, I'll tell you that.

Two months passed, and after two roommates had come and gone from my then-girlfriend's and my apartment, my living situation became more complicated: she left me. The $2k/month lease was entirely my responsibility in fact, even though she was still on the lease. This led to some complications, and when the lease was up to be renewed, I couldn't. So I moved in with a lifelong friend in nearby Oakland, California. If you're wondering, I still haven't entirely forgiven her for leaving me, but I also was well aware that I couldn't have really blamed her anyway. But yeah. Oakland! Not a small town. A city. With three major league sports teams and a reputation for violent crime, which is often exaggerated but not entirely without precedent. It's Oakland. You live here or you don't. I live here.

So I moved. The commute became economically burdensome, so I found a new job at a restaurant nearby, and dropped the one in my hometown (which pained me greatly; during my personal difficulties, especially my dad's sickness and death, they had treated me with the utmost love and care, for which I am eternally grateful). I've been working at my new restaurant for about half a year now, and it's not horrible, but it doesn't have the same homey feel. It can't. It's a totally different beast. But it's endurable, at least until I can find something I'm passionate about, that pays better, that has more stability, maybe benefits if I pray to the right god, all that fun shit.

At the end of September, I found out that one of my dearest, oldest friends, with whom I'd lost touch for about a year, died of a heroin overdose. I returned (as I often have) to Livermore, this time to visit an old haunt of ours, and poured out a 32oz Miller High Life at the top of the hill where we'd spent several fun times together. Afterward, I visited a mutual friend of his and mine, to maybe share some comfort together. After that, I went to my favorite bar, the same one where I still work once a week. The last place I ever hung out with him. I ordered two beers, one for me and one for him. I downed mine while I poured his out onto the back patio. I ran into another friend of his and mine, who wasn't informed of his passing yet. I did my duty and shared this horrible information with him. We embraced as brothers.

While my friend and I held each other, a stranger walked up to me, a young woman with blue-green hair. My face was soaked in tears. I saw her walk out, and was immediately somewhat embarrassed to have been seen by a stranger in such a state. All she said to me was, "Can I give you a hug?" I accepted.

She and I have been dating for about 6 weeks now.

To fill in some other details, I have my own band now. Some of you may remember my old band Troubador, and I recall that a fair handful of you contributed to our Kickstarter for our first (and, unfortunately, only) album. Well, sadly, we're no more. But I have a new band called Save Laika. I write all the songs. I have a bassist and a drummer who I love immensely, and who are also incredibly gifted naturally. They don't have the time to be as disciplined as me, simply because I have the luxury of being a working musician, and they have to supplement their musicianship with Work That Feels Like Work. Regardless, they're great, and they're my brothers.

Overall, it's been a hell of a last few years. There isn't much that remains the same in my life as the last time I checked in, aside from the fact that I'm still a music addict, I'm still in California, I'm still a cis-hetero white dude who does his best (and sometimes, regrettably, fails) to make space for folks who aren't like me, and I still have absolutely zero tolerance for bullshit.

In any case, I don't imagine I'll be spending much time here. Not because of the heated way in which I left the forums last time, and not because I don't love the folks I know who are still here,, and honestly not even anything personal at all. It's because I lead a pretty busy life, and because I've been working on paying less attention to Greater Social Media, and more attention to the people I can interact with more intimately. I feel like my meat-life persona has historically been more of a micro thing while my online persona has been more of a macro thing, and I have been enjoying some nice results by reversing the two, and also maybe finding a good middle ground that favors meat-life a little more.

I sincerely hope that all of you are doing well. Whether we've historically gotten along or not, whether we agree on anything or not, I hope you're all happy, and that you're being the best people you can be. Preferably at the same time :)
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #318 on: 03 Nov 2017, 03:24 »

That was a hell of a read. Thanks very much for coming here and sharing. Even though we're on other social media, it's nice to hear more of the story than it not-so-easily allows to be told.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #319 on: 03 Nov 2017, 10:06 »

Welcome back, Patrick!
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #320 on: 04 Nov 2017, 09:30 »

Hey dude, welcome back!
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #321 on: 06 Nov 2017, 07:12 »

It came up in my Facebook memories a few days ago that I openly posted I was nonbinary back in 2015. I didn't realise it was that long ago because I felt it two or three years before that. It took me almost a year to even talk to my partner about it. It's weird to remember learning about NB identities and immediately connecting to the idea but still having to take time to be comfortable calling myself NB.

Thankfully it's been met mainly with support and a little bit of confused but still accepting silence from others. At least that how I chose to take it.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #322 on: 11 Nov 2017, 03:40 »

Thanks for the welcome back. It seems like this thread is less active than it used to be. Is the same true of the forum?
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #323 on: 11 Nov 2017, 04:43 »

It's still quite active.  People are tending to put their thoughts into more specific threads rather than this general one, though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #324 on: 19 Nov 2017, 18:09 »

I'm fairly confident there's some folks here who still remember me, so I'd like to check in and say hi, and also fill you in on what's been going on. Don't know why I feel so sentimental, or why I feel inclined to drop this on y'all, I just kinda wanna.
I've never forgotten you! And I'm so glad you came by to let us know how your life is going.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #325 on: 05 Dec 2017, 22:25 »

The inventor of the nerve block deserves a statue on every street corner.

I woke up from having my shoulder sliced open to the bone to find my pain level at 0.

It won't last but I receive it with gratitude.

Now comes the month or two of virtual house arrest since driving will be, um, questionable.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #326 on: 05 Dec 2017, 22:29 »

Just when the weather has started to turn crappy, I've lost my right glove...

Update: the lost and found for the local bus system had it. Got it back.
« Last Edit: 07 Dec 2017, 18:08 by cesium133 »
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #327 on: 09 Dec 2017, 12:15 »

Took my first shower in a week. Morale booster!

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #328 on: 20 Dec 2017, 20:55 »

The scary thing is that I am always just one or two steps from turning into someone selfish and peevish.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #329 on: 21 Dec 2017, 02:16 »

The scary thing is that I am always just one or two steps from turning into someone selfish and peevish.

Accchhh, I think most people are the same when it comes to that.
Don't beat yourself up about it

:wink:
Covenant

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #330 on: 21 Dec 2017, 09:37 »

I think the difference maker is that you're concerned about that happening so you can try to make steps so it won't happen.

I don't think you're any where near that close to that situation though.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #331 on: 21 Dec 2017, 09:56 »

In essence selfishness is what keeps us alive.  Awareness of that is what enables us to become civilised.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #332 on: 24 Dec 2017, 19:24 »

Eye opener for me. This is a mild and temporary disability and even at that uses up spoons in a hurry. From now on I will know that someone with a serious or permanent disability may be running on spoon overdraft.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #333 on: 28 Dec 2017, 15:25 »

I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #334 on: 02 Jan 2018, 14:04 »

A Holiday Inn for the holidays?

I don't know where Holiday Inn ranks among chain-motels in the USA. When I used to travel regularly to the USA for work, the company always stuck me with Best Western.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #335 on: 02 Jan 2018, 15:25 »

They're a lot better than they used to be. Nowadays, Motel 6 and Super 8 are hit/miss properties.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Grognard

• Only pretending to work
  • Token Straight White Conservative Male
« Reply #336 on: 03 Jan 2018, 22:12 »

I highly recommend HAMPTON INN.
They're a property of the Hilton chains.
Old enough to know better: Still too young to care.  PONG was my 'gateway' game.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #337 on: 11 Jan 2018, 01:38 »

I've got my pain control down to regular strength Tylenol! This started out with sleep being interrupted by pain breaking through some heavy-duty drugs that I was glad to discontinue.

Trying to figure out a way to thank and reward my microscopic repair crews for their hard and apparently successful work. "Good osteoblasts! Have some osteoblast biscuits!" seems to miss the mark. I've been showering them with supplemental nutrients to support their work. Maybe in their world that's enough.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #338 on: 18 Jan 2018, 07:05 »

I finally found a "fix" for the old 30" Apple Cinema display that I acquired a couple of years ago.  Most of the time, it flickers or just simply turns off.  However, taping a small piece of kitchen foil over the touch-sensitive on/off button cures this.  So now I am using a 2560x1600 display :D

I also had to put my old display card back in my new machine, because the on-board video, while actually more capable, cannot output this resolution on a plug that I can use with the display (even with a converter).  Not throwing things out is good...

The usage which will most benefit from this is my audio editing; but it's a pretty impressive thing to have on my desk anyway.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #339 on: 20 Jan 2018, 21:42 »

The followup appointment with the surgeon was entirely good news. Yes, having a two-pound lifting limit for two weeks is good news -- infinitely better than having the arm in a sling.

Typing two-handed now, and tied my shoes normally yesterday. Even driving (with limits).
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #340 on: 04 Feb 2018, 10:12 »

My streaming server can now stream live TV and radio (I have 145 channels on Freeview here) to any computer in the house, and to mobile devices when out. It has four tuners, so several shows at once is allowed. This is off air, not Internet.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #341 on: 04 Feb 2018, 10:49 »

*checks TV*
I can get 39 over-the-air channels here. 14 are religious stations and home shopping stations that I have removed from the channel lineup. Of the 25 remaining stations, most play reruns of old TV shows.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #342 on: 04 Feb 2018, 11:59 »

Well, some are duplicates running an hour behind (to help catchup or recording with insufficient tuners), a few are SD/HD duplicates, and a couple of dozen are radio.  And we have the shopping channels as well (and some adult ones in there).  Of things we might actually want to watch, though, we still probably have more than you indicate.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #343 on: 06 Feb 2018, 12:04 »

I have just started recording to disk my video of an opera performance I put on in 1989.

My first wife and I started an opera group (and my present wife, as one of her pupils, took part).  The first few performances I recorded audio only.  Then for a couple more I put up a static video camera, and for the last I manned it to zoom and pan.  Then we split up.

The recording can be played on any video, but none other than the original could ever play the audio channels properly.  However, my wife kept that, and later when I asked to borrow it only a few years later, it was broken and disposed of.  Then three years ago I found on ebay a working example of the exact same original video deck - and it plays the tapes perfectly!  But it's taken me until today to get working a means of recording the output in my computer.

It's now going through Rossini's An Italian Girl in Algiers.  Also to come: Mozart's Don Giovanni (when I've fixed the broken tape) and Die Zauberflöte.

dr. nervioso

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • No more Mr. Nice Bitch
« Reply #344 on: 14 Feb 2018, 00:26 »

Y'know, I keep on meaning to come back on here especially since my IRL life has become socially desolate, but it keeps on slipping my mind.

My life right now is currently kind of crappy. I'm living in Northern Michigan. I tried and failed (literally all of my classes) to get a computer science degree. Right now, I'm trying to figure what I can do to advance my career with merely a Bachelor's in psychology and no actual job experience.

In terms of my social life- it's  nearly nonexistent right now. Which I've sort of gotten used to, but the world at the moment constantly reminds me of my lack of social support. I am grateful for my parents, at least they're still there for me.

I've been trying to push through all of this with optimism, like I usually do, but it's not working as well as usually does. Even setting current events aside, my life has been consistently sliding down into the abyss for years, and I have never been able to get it back up. My main concern is that my life will stay on this trajectory and I won't recover.

After writing this, I'm starting to realize that this should probably go into the pessimism and depression thread in relate, but it's late and I'm just suprised that I was able to finish this without going on a wild tangent or giving up.
this forum is slowly decomposing into butts and kitties

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #345 on: 16 Feb 2018, 09:08 »

Home is where you've personalised the router's SSID.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #346 on: 25 Feb 2018, 06:23 »

Ooops - Vivien just put petrol in our diesel car...

I did that once over 20 years ago, but that was away from home at midnight on a Saturday - cost an arm and a leg to get lifted from the petrol station and taken to the depot for draining out.  This time she managed to get back home from the local garage...

Ignominious

• The German Chancellory building
  • Account no longer in use - goodbye and good luck
« Reply #347 on: 25 Feb 2018, 11:10 »

I think you"ll still need to get drained out.

Usually you can get moving again on the diesel still in the sustem but, once you stop with the petrol in the mix, you won't get started again. I'd imagine a few hundred quid the get fixed.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #348 on: 25 Feb 2018, 15:08 »

£238 - tomorrow morning.
Plus £50 for the fuel that's going down the drain (metaphorically).

I know about it all from last time, which being at night away from home cost £350 - 20 years ago - for a lift-tow to the depot where they sorted it in the small hours...  At least that time I realised before turning the engine, so the fuel feed and injectors were still full of the right stuff.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #349 on: 26 Feb 2018, 02:59 »

I've only ever done that once...
And I was SO lucky that I had only just started to pump the petrol when I realised "This nozzle isn't black!"
So, I only had the minimum spend in the tank, and then utterly filled it with diesel... then shook the car as hard as I could !! :)

I was dreading starting it up though, just in case, but every website I could find (standing away from the pumps!) said it 'should' be alright for so small an amount...

<phew!>
Covenant
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up