THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Blog Thread 5: A New Beginning  (Read 148217 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: Blog Thread 5: A New Beginning
« Reply #400 on: 29 Dec 2018, 04:53 »

My wife gave that a thumbs up.

Yesterday for the first time in over ten years since I signed up here, I finally met a forum member in person. My wife and I had a delightful visit with de_la_Nae.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #401 on: 05 Jan 2019, 17:33 »

@de_la_nae: 

Congrats on having a bed.  Definitely worth it, even if you have to get one special made.  Sleeping on a pad on the floor, or on beds you can't quite lie down properly in is, well, not quite "miserable" - more like inconvenient or annoying - but over the long term it can contribute to a nagging feeling that you're not quite able to fully participate in the benefits of human civilization.

And that's an unpleasant feeling.  It can lead to depression or make depression worse.  So it's worth correcting these little "inconvenient" or "annoying" things as the opportunities arise.  Their importance is individually small but the effect of many such little nagging things is something to just stop, as soon as you possibly can.

But, short form:  Congrats on getting yourself a proper bed.  Sometimes small things have more importance than it seems.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #402 on: 06 Jan 2019, 07:19 »

Spent today hauling a cargo van-load of furniture. I have a bed now! well, once i finish draggi it all up the stairs and putting it together. But I'm looking forward to it, been sleeping on a pad on the floor for the last few years and bit weary of it.

course my out-of-shape, disabled body is a wee bit miffed at me right now, and tomorrow's probably just gonna be a fatigue haze, but fuckin' worth it.

Belated congrats on the bed!

My back remembers sleeping on a pad for a few months ( :-() , so yay for well-deserved creature comfort!  :laugh:
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #403 on: 09 Jan 2019, 18:49 »

One of the benefits of traveling a long distance Amtrak route is meals like surf and turf. They're included in the ticket price for sleeping car passengers.

Unless, of course, the kitchen has a malfunction that can't be repaired and you spend 48 hours eating whatever the train crew can get delivered to a stop in the middle of nowhere.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #404 on: 09 Jan 2019, 18:54 »

I've always gone coach on Amtrak. I usually ate candy bars and drank soda from the cafe car. (Healthy diet right there)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #405 on: 16 Jan 2019, 10:43 »

If you can sleep in a seat and sneak into the showers, that's way cheaper.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #406 on: 13 Mar 2019, 20:10 »

Today I had a real stupid moment. I went with one of the grad students from our lab to a lecture on the other side of the campus. On the way back, we passed by where I normally park my car (I park far from the lab building since the parking spot is close to a Pokestop  :venonat:). I looked, and noticed my car wasn't there, and wondered aloud, "wait, where's my car?" I was driving it.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #407 on: 14 Mar 2019, 01:51 »

That takes "where's my glasses?" to like 5 new levels...
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Morituri

« Reply #408 on: 14 Mar 2019, 21:20 »

Are pokestops still a thing?  (I had never heard the word, but I assume it has something to do with Pokemon Go, which is no longer generating any media attention....)

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #409 on: 15 Mar 2019, 00:44 »

Apparently yes. It just so happens yesterday a human interest show ran a report on a man who goes out every night just to play Pokémon Go.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #410 on: 15 Mar 2019, 02:08 »

He does something harmless that he enjoys? What a freak!
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #411 on: 15 Mar 2019, 02:33 »

Well, it's part of a series of people being out and about at night. They're casting a fairly wide net; road workers, call girls, nurses, homeless, market vendors, butchers, artists, private investigators, night clubs, dark rooms. It's a bit sensationalist. I just happened to catch the beginning of the first episode yesterday evening, but I'm not going to watch the rest of it. I don't like the reporter/host, nor his style of reporting. Tellingly, most places he made a series, he's emphatically no longer welcome.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #412 on: 15 Mar 2019, 11:13 »

Are pokestops still a thing?  (I had never heard the word, but I assume it has something to do with Pokemon Go, which is no longer generating any media attention....)
What, I'm only allowed to play a game if it attracts media attention?

Morituri

« Reply #413 on: 15 Mar 2019, 21:50 »

Sorry, of course you're allowed. The context was more "does that game even still exist" than "is it still popular." 

I haven't seen any evidence in the last year that the game still existed; I was moderately surprised that the company hasn't actually folded it up, shut down the servers, and moved on to the next title. 

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #414 on: 01 Apr 2019, 07:31 »

Trivia corner.  In 1984, while a prince, the new Emperor designate of Japan was at Oxford University.  During that time he sang in the chamber choir which I also sang in (the same one I sing in again now, in fact), and I made a recording of the choir in which it is likely that he took part.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #415 on: 02 Apr 2019, 08:18 »

Trivia corner.  In 1984, while a prince, the new Emperor designate of Japan was at Oxford University.  During that time he sang in the chamber choir which I also sang in (the same one I sing in again now, in fact), and I made a recording of the choir in which it is likely that he took part.

Throw that onto Japanese ebay and you'll make a MINT"

Sorry.. what I meant was...

Ooh! That sounds nice, might I have a copy....??

:parrot:
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #416 on: 02 Apr 2019, 10:06 »

You can listen.

A Japanese broadcaster has been sniffing around, but probably wants spoken recollections.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #417 on: 09 Apr 2019, 11:26 »

That recording is older than me  :-o
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #418 on: 06 May 2019, 20:43 »

Today I "met" another forum member, when ZoeB had time for a Skype call.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #419 on: 08 May 2019, 14:51 »

I've wrote and deleted a bunch of posts over the last few months about life and the work going on in my house and how so far 2019 is kicking me when I'm down a lot so far.

Today though, actually this last week and since my birthday, I'm announcing as the turning point. The second half of this year is shaping up to be much improved and I'm gonna stay optimistic.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #420 on: 25 May 2019, 15:04 »

May it be so!

I have now dined with Zoe in a virtual sense. She felt very awkward having scones and jam while we were on a Skype call until I offered to eat something myself.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #421 on: 26 May 2019, 12:46 »

Following on from the second half of 2019 being better, I attended an audition for the local theatre group and it went so bad.

I went to the wrong place because searching for the right place kept bringing up the wrong place. I immediately emailed the contact I had to let them know I'd be late. Eventually I thought of ringing my friend who has worked with this group before and she helped me. I got there thirty minutes late.
They were in the middle of warm ups for the dance part and I took what I thought was an empty spot but it was actually next to the instructors cause I assumed there was only one instructor but nope.
I knew the dance bit would be my weakest bit but I did okay I think for my ability.
Did the acting but next, I think I did the best at that.
Then the singing bit, which I thought would be where I could redeem myself a bit but I forgot the words three times. The people were super friendly and helped me out.

I sent an email after I left apologising again for being late and thanks for the opportunity.

The positive: I'm upset with myself and I'm gonna need to cry it out but I can say I tried. I'm managing to laugh at myself and the situation and Partner said a couple years ago I would be in pieces now. I'm not though, more just tired. I'm handling this situation way better than I'd have been able to even compared to my mental state last year. Last year I wouldn't have considered going for an audition of any kind at all.

Bonus positive: There's no way the next one can go worse.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #422 on: 29 May 2019, 15:35 »

Double post because surprise development: They sent an email asking me to send a video of me singing another song to see how it sounds so they haven't totally discounted me :psyduck:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #423 on: 29 May 2019, 15:40 »

Amazing!
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Ignominious

• The German Chancellory building
  • Account no longer in use - goodbye and good luck
« Reply #424 on: 31 May 2019, 11:16 »

May it be so!

I have now dined with Zoe in a virtual sense. She felt very awkward having scones and jam while we were on a Skype call until I offered to eat something myself.

I keep thinking that as an otherwise internet competent person that I should really, as some point, Skype someone. Even my comparatively luddite parents Skype on the reg.

Then I remember that chatting on AIM used to give me horrendous anxiety and even WhatsApp plucks at that particular nerve a bit.

Morituri

« Reply #425 on: 05 Jun 2019, 08:51 »

I've turned down three different magazine interviews now because they wanted to do them via Skype.  I didn't actually, you know, *tell* them that's the reason why; I just never got back to them after they left the message saying they wanted to do it via Skype.

Ergh.  I'm fine with email, have a hard enough time being social in person but can manage it, dislike and am awkward in phone calls, and just ...  can't work up enough lack-of-disgust-at-the-idea to deal with video calls, even when I know I probably should.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #426 on: 05 Jun 2019, 17:35 »

My experience with Skype is that I don't have to worry about whether I can be social in it, because I can never get the damn thing working in the first place. The old version worked, but the version that came with Windows 10 (which is now the only version allowed) has never worked for me.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
    • Troubador! bandcamp page
« Reply #427 on: 09 Jun 2019, 01:42 »

Double post because surprise development: They sent an email asking me to send a video of me singing another song to see how it sounds so they haven't totally discounted me :psyduck:

I know I'm a little behind here, but I hope you get a callback. Nothing satisfies quite the same as being validated that way.

---

Dear Blerg Threrd,

Things are going better. A lot better. I've found and quit two jobs since my last post in this thread. I'm now on job #3, at a bike shop that was founded in my hometown. This particular location is a 25 minute drive from my house, and is almost never made difficult by traffic (I'm heading in a direction opposite what would take me to San Francisco, so I don't have to fight the Tech Bros). I have a fuckton of stuff I'm going to have to learn over time, but I'm excited for the opportunity. It's full time with benefits, the pay's half decent ($16.50/hr until I get trained up on stuff), and I don't have to pay for bridge tolls or parking like I was doing when I worked in San Francisco for the last few months. Things are really looking up that way.

My poor girlfriend's in ill health, as per usual. Headache for a year and a half now, and it's a real doozy. She's had bloodwork, neurologist, CAT scan, and she has an MRI scheduled for later this month. And oh yeah we're American and don't have insurance of course, because fuck the labor class (I'm growing more and more communist with every passing hour).

As for my spare time, I spend most of it playing video games. I've hardly touched my guitar in weeks, months, a year. Running that weekly jam night for 7 years was a great way to kill my joy for playing. I still write stuff from time to time, but it's all getting simpler. More and more of it happens on my electric 12 string though, which I think is pretty cool. Nobody plays those anymore. Maybe there's a market.

This week would have been my dad's 69th birthday. I wish he was still around to make the required wisecracks about it. I think the only real regret I have in life is the fact that he and I spent so much of our lives angry at each other. We were getting to be pretty damn cool with each other right before we found out he was sick. God is going to have to answer to me for this someday.

All in all, I'm alright I guess. Pretty depressed all the time. Can't remember the last time I was Really Happy for longer than 5 minutes. I have my moments. I need therapy and maybe medication. I guess we'll see what happens there when my insurance kicks in with this new job.

Until next time,
-Pat
My long-dead band Troubador! licks your gentlemen's legumes on the cheap

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #428 on: 23 Jun 2019, 08:28 »

Pat, one day I am coming to the West Coast, and we are hanging out.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #429 on: 01 Jul 2019, 22:06 »

Pat, one day I am coming to the West Coast, and we are hanging out.

Too right, old friend. I think you'll be staying with us.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #430 on: 21 Jul 2019, 22:34 »

A few weeks ago I encountered a considerate Lexus driver. I was turning left across busy traffic and she stopped short of the intersection to leave room for the turn.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #431 on: 24 Jul 2019, 01:11 »

A few weeks ago I encountered a considerate Lexus driver. I was turning left across busy traffic and she stopped short of the intersection to leave room for the turn.

I once met a considerate Prius driver. I was driving down a back road, and they pulled over onto the shoulder to let me by in my Mini so I could haul ass at an unreasonable pace. I was so grateful.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #432 on: 28 Jul 2019, 04:54 »

So after a long, long, long, long process of building up to it...

I am finally out to everyone in my family. As both a queer person and part of an extant poly relationship.

The feeling of liberation has been truly extraordinary. And I hope one day I can stop feeling ashamed for how long it took me, but that's gonna be part of what therapy's for!

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #433 on: 28 Jul 2019, 14:01 »

I know this maybe doesn't help, but... why feel ashamed for taking your time? That can be an extremely volatile reveal, and I'm proud of you for doing it at all. You deserve to do things at your own pace regardless of what it is. Congratulations on taking a huge weight off your shoulders. I know it's not an easy process, even if I can't personally identify, and I'm proud as hell to be your friend.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #434 on: 28 Jul 2019, 14:17 »

Goddamn Pat I love you.

Link me to all your albums since Troubador. I still spin that regularly.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #435 on: 30 Jul 2019, 18:00 »

ain't made any to be honest, i've guested on a couple Sun Kin tracks since then. i have some recordings that aren't out yet from Save Laika, but the band broke up last May lol.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #436 on: 31 Jul 2019, 07:50 »

hitting the road and will be vaguely unreachable for the rest of the week. wish me luck!

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #437 on: 31 Jul 2019, 08:11 »

So happy for you Thrillho!

Luck wished, Nae!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #438 on: 01 Aug 2019, 05:44 »

Until next time,-Pat
Great to hear from you, Patrick. Bike shops are cool places.
(click to show/hide)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #439 on: 01 Aug 2019, 05:48 »

The feeling of liberation has been truly extraordinary.
:) :) :) :) :)
And as others have said, there's no reason to be ashamed. There is a season for things
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #440 on: 01 Aug 2019, 08:09 »

Yesterday I found out that my project got funding. $200k. For this fiscal year. Which ends September 16.  :psyduck:

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #441 on: 01 Aug 2019, 12:09 »

Time to start spending, I say.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #442 on: 01 Aug 2019, 19:20 »

The hard part isn't going to be finding something to spend it on. We need to buy a lot of stuff for that project, and it'll add up to a lot more than that amount. The hard part is finding stuff to order with a short enough lead time that we can get it by September 16, so it can count toward this fiscal year.

Morituri

« Reply #443 on: 01 Aug 2019, 21:24 »

I'm surprised you have to receive it by the funding date.  I'd have guessed you only needed to pay for it.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #444 on: 01 Aug 2019, 22:29 »

Nope. Gotta have it in hand by September 16 for it to count for this fiscal year (which technically ends October 1). It's the federal government, what can you do...

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #445 on: 02 Aug 2019, 04:20 »

Actually having to have it delivered does sound a bit strange. Over here, mostly, having ordered counts, and can be carried over to the next fiscal year for payment. But then, that's due to a technical peculiarity in our budget structure, that some people woul like to see gone sooner than later.

Wingy

• Asleep in the boner patch
  • Is my cape on right?
« Reply #446 on: 02 Aug 2019, 10:22 »

Following on from the second half of 2019 being better, I attended an audition for the local theatre group and it went so bad.
Any audition attended is a good audition.  Break a leg on the next one!
This space intentionally left almost blank.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #447 on: 04 Aug 2019, 02:55 »

Until next time,-Pat
Great to hear from you, Patrick. Bike shops are cool places.
(click to show/hide)

As a former bicycle commuter, I still love cycling, but the shop was unfortunately super toxic. I would love to work in another though.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #448 on: 05 Aug 2019, 13:02 »

Got in safely from my trip last night. was a good visit to some friends, for a few days. coulda been better, coulda been a lot worse.

my brother got back safely from his adventure to Gencon, too. and he brought me back a Pintsize sketch from Jeph! along with a couple other little goodies, including some fantastically gay dice.

Patrick

• where did it cost?
  • Awakened
  • Used to be a cool kid
« Reply #449 on: 07 Aug 2019, 13:27 »

i start another new job tomorrow, but my new boss hasn't sent me the starting schedule he promised me. *sigh* one of these days my life won't be a hectic mess.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13   Go Up