THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 01:17
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Japan Animator Expo  (Read 2131 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Japan Animator Expo
« on: 13 Mar 2015, 01:45 »

Anno Hideaki, the creator of Neon Genesis Evangelion, set up the Khara studio to make the Evangelion films (known in the West as Rebuild of Evangelion).  Three of the planned four films have been made, over a surprisingly long time span, and Anno is reputed to have had another breakdown after the third, Evangelion 3.33, Q, as he did during the making of the original Evangelion series.

So, production work on the final film is at a standstill while he recovers.  He is clearing his mind by overseeing a series of 30 short (5 to 10 minutes) animations showcasing different animation techniques, and directed by individual members of Khara's staff - many of whom have had no experience of directing.  The films are released once a week, on Fridays, though there was a break before today's (the eleventh).  There is no general link with Evangelion, but one appears to consist of clips of an abandoned extension of Q, and there are a few other references.

They are extraordinary, and well worth watching (note that the streaming can be erratic, and that there is an EN button to get subtitles).

http://animatorexpo.com/
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2015, 14:38 by Kugai »
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: Japan Animator Expo
« Reply #1 on: 18 Mar 2015, 05:11 »

There's some amazing stuff there. I sympathise with Hillclimb Girl. :)
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: Japan Animator Expo
« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2015, 05:38 »

Hillclimb Girl is a showcase of integration of CGI (the bikes) with hand-drawn animation (the characters).  Apart from being fun as well!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )
Pages: [1]   Go Up