THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 26 Apr 2024, 17:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What exciting new direction will QC take this week?

Faye, Claire, Marten, Steve and Shelby travel the country in a beat up van solving mysteries.
- 22 (27.2%)
The return of indie references. Current audience perplexed and doesn't know what's going on.
- 33 (40.7%)
Robot Apocalypse.
- 11 (13.6%)
Alpacalypse
- 15 (18.5%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: 22 Mar 2015, 09:42

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2917 to 2921 (16-20 March 2015)  (Read 54076 times)

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
Re: WCDT 2917 to 2921 (16-20 March 2015)
« Reply #100 on: 16 Mar 2015, 20:27 »

Nah, we're supposed to gang up on Marigold because she's more concerned about her boyfriend than Faye.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #101 on: 16 Mar 2015, 20:28 »

Nah, we're supposed to gang up on Marigold because she's more concerned about her boyfriend than Faye.

We can do two things.

Not more than that though, that'd be too many things.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #102 on: 16 Mar 2015, 20:38 »

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #103 on: 16 Mar 2015, 20:38 »

EVERYONE, EVERYONE, GANG UP ON THE NEW PERSON

No, no, we accept them!  We accept them!  One of us!
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #104 on: 16 Mar 2015, 20:39 »

We still didn't do the paddling though. Can we at least do the paddling?
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #105 on: 16 Mar 2015, 20:45 »

Welcome, new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #106 on: 16 Mar 2015, 21:02 »

Quick, new person, hide any lug wrenches you have!

Don't ask why, just do it.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #107 on: 16 Mar 2015, 21:12 »

what is the singularity?
The Technological Singularity.

Pintsize huffing WD-40... That's a real call-back, and he's only made himself more inflammable, which could be dangerous around Faye, even without the cutting torch. But how does he get his fix without pressing the button on top of the can?

Oh, it's rather telling about Pintsize's home life, all right, or at least the life he gives his roommates. There's a reason he's playing Blanche but giving Stanley's line ("We've had this date from the beginning!" A Streetcar Named Desire, Tennessee Williams)
Raoul! Long time no see! I'm not sure how far the reference to A Streetcar Named Desire works though. That line precedes Stanley's rape of Blanche.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #108 on: 16 Mar 2015, 23:17 »

And then BC continues: "I like your style. Let's do lunch. I have a business proposal for you."

I could see that happening.. then either Faye and BC enter a great business relationship, or a wonderful (sometimes deadly) rivalry that both value as much as their friendship.

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #109 on: 17 Mar 2015, 00:19 »

Can we talk about how adorable Marigold looks on the first panel? *Squee intensifies*

Also hi my first comment here on this forum, hopefully it will be a fun ride.

She is utterly adorable, and I can see why she's more invested in Dale (her boyfriend) rather than Faye.
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #110 on: 17 Mar 2015, 00:19 »

Pintsize huffing WD-40... That's a real call-back, and he's only made himself more inflammable, which could be dangerous around Faye, even without the cutting torch. But how does he get his fix without pressing the button on top of the can?

He sucks very hard?  :wink:

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #111 on: 17 Mar 2015, 00:33 »

Well, there are two revelations in today's strip. First, it's clear that Faye at least had some positive reputation at CoD. People are genuinely feeling weird about her leaving. It's nice that Dale is worried about her.

Secondly, it's clear that it used to be pretty much "The Dora and Faye Show" in terms of who was practically in charge. Formally the assistant manager or not, Faye had a lot of authority just from her aggressive personality and Dora let her get away with throwing her weight around so long as it was in minor ways.

That aside, it seems that Dale's probation period is over! He's now allowed to touch the blackboard!

I also see that Marigold is doing her best to outdo Claire in the cuteness stakes.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2015, 01:00 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #112 on: 17 Mar 2015, 01:43 »

Panel 5: cuddly Marigold is very cuddly. I'd like to be Dale in that picture.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

McH

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #113 on: 17 Mar 2015, 01:50 »

Good. No timeskip. I'm firmly in that camp, because I think that there's plenty of story to be told. I'm not sure we need to *see* the support group, but maybe we get to. But I'm very interested in Faye trying to keep herself busy outside of that, and also see development.

As for today's comic: that's the second time we've seen Marigold kind of skip over the Faye-drama straight to what interests her. Though it's easy to see why she would be more invested in Dale than in Faye, I think we're seeing the early set-up for what may be a lesson in empathy for Marigold.
Each piece of music tells a story. It can be a different story for everyone. It may be different today than it was last year. What will it be in 50? Who knows.

~He who doesn't seek ease, is lazy~

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #114 on: 17 Mar 2015, 02:46 »

Let's remember two things, vis the Marigold-Faye axis.
  • Marigold had the whole 'unrequited crush' thing on Angus; she may have never forgiven Faye for taking him away from her;
  • Angus has been Marigold's friend since college; irrespective of what Angus may or may not have told her about the break-up, Marigold may have come to her own conclusions and be less-than-charitably inclined to Faye at the moment.
On top of that, yes, she'd be more interested in the affect this would have on Dale anyway.

Good. No timeskip. I'm firmly in that camp, because I think that there's plenty of story to be told. I'm not sure we need to *see* the support group, but maybe we get to. But I'm very interested in Faye trying to keep herself busy outside of that, and also see development.

My view is, with the support group now likely to be a thing, a time-skip isn't likely until after the first meeting of the group that Faye attends and possible fall out of that. What fall-out? Well, if speculated in earlier threads, someone Faye knows is in the group or is its moderator, we might have a post-meeting one-on-one between them and Faye.

Another possible pre-skip plot is for Faye to trip over her feet and land in a new job (which does seem to be a common occurrance in QC). Something like this:

STRIP 1
PANEL 1 (half): FAYE walking along the road
PANEL 2 (half): FAYE, half off the panel leaning back and looking at something with wide eyes
PANEL 3 (full): A sign for 'Carlisle & Son Custom and Coachworks' (a body-shop/garage). Below that is posted 'WANTED - Body Worker - Apply Within'.
FAYE (off-panel): "Fuck it! Why not?
PANEL 4 (full): FAYE is talking to a well-built middle-aged guy holding a spanner
SPANNER: "I dunno... Are you sure you can handle metalworking tools?"
FAYE: "Can I? I can show you my portfolio if you like!"
SPANNER: "Portfolio?!?"
PANEL 5 (full): SPANNER is looking over his shoulder at a younger man (who is covered in oil stains), who is looking at FAYE oddly
SPANNER: "Y'know... Let's do this quick. Pete! Check this pretty southern belle out. If she can handle the gear, let me know 'cause she's the new body guy... uh... gal!"
PETE: "Well... okay, I guess, dad!"

STRIP 2
PANELS 1-4 (quarter-width): Montage of FAYE, stripped to the waist and wearing overalls is doing various metal working things
PANEL 5 (full): FAYE, SPANNER and PETE are looking at the side of a mini-van that has elegant sea swirls shaped into the side and door panels
SPANNER: "Well that's... elaborate! You're born for customisation work!"
FAYE: "Metals have always been how I did my art!"
PETE: "Sometimes we aren't doing art, just fixing cars!"
PANEL 6 (half-height): FAYE is looking at PETE in a condescending way
FAYE: "I can do 'vanilla' too!"
SPANNER: "You'll have the chance. Hours are nine-to-six, three days to start at 35k per year. You in?"
PANEL 7 (half-height): FAYE is looking excited, PETE sceptical and SPANNER is grinning
FAYE: "I'm in!"
SPANNER: "Good! Give your details to my wife in the office for the payroll and we'll see you Monday!"
PETE: "Oh boy..."

Carlisle's turns out to be a family business - father and son in the body shop whilst mother and daughter run the gas pumps, attached store and car-wash. There is an older brother, but he's in the USAF and doesn't come home much (possible x-over with the Ellicott-Chatham space station if he turns out to be in Space Command). Pete slowly thaws out to Faye but it is somewhat like Faye's relationship with Raven with roles reversed (Pete as the straight-man feeding Faye lines for snappy replies). Their relationship would, in part, let Jeph explore gender-typing in jobs. Pete finds that Faye being as good as him with metals and engineering (better in some ways) is something of a culture shock.

There would be some follow-on episodes: Faye is bouncy all day and Dora has a dark afternoon because she decides she's been holding her back; Pete is a pure-blood 'build practical things' engineering personality and doesn't initially like Faye's commitment to aesthetics; Hannelore has a panic attack at the thought of Faye working with greasy machinery and around hydrocarbon fluids all day. Eventually, Faye would convince Spanner to let her use a bit of the garage for one of her articulated sculptures and that is what really pulls in Pete (who is a gadgeteer but doesn't have the time to follow up his ideas on his own).

Er... You can tell that I've been thinking about this scenario for a while, can't you? :-P Maybe I should write this up as a fanfic?
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2015, 04:21 by BenRG »
~~~~

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #115 on: 17 Mar 2015, 03:15 »

Indeed, BenRG. Might this non-moderator respectfully suggest the Fan Art thread?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

CM_albion

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #116 on: 17 Mar 2015, 04:15 »

Oh look, Marigold said a potentially controversial, time for the QC forums resident amateur psychoanalysts to crawl once more from the woodwork and divulge their own personal opinions, then argue about it for 7 pages.

not that i mind mark you, this is going to be hilarious. i'mma go make popcorn, don't start without me  :-D   

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #117 on: 17 Mar 2015, 04:19 »

BenRG: You really thought a while about this - now that you've written it down I want it to happen! (Well, with a few more roadblocks, because this sounds too easy)

CM_albion: Well, Marigold is prone to saying insensitive stuff. She even admits it herself (to Momo) but doesn't do anything to change it. I doubt there' s gonna be a lot of discussion about it because it's not surprising in any way.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #118 on: 17 Mar 2015, 05:31 »

It's been established that Marigold is selfish and self centered.

I think it's... actually kind of sweet that her selfishness extends to her boyfriend, in a weird kind of way.

As in she doesn't just put herself in front of everyone else, now. Now she puts herself and Dale in front of others.

It's definitely a step in the right direction. Still not entirely healthy, but Rome wasn't psychoanalyzed in a day.
oh god

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB
« Reply #119 on: 17 Mar 2015, 05:50 »

Did Dale end up moving in with Marigold? I forget  how that diversion ended... Maybe it's going to come up right now?

ronbo

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #120 on: 17 Mar 2015, 05:55 »

I wouldn't be too hard on Marigold for her lack of empathy for Faye.  Faye has never been established among her very small, but growing circle of friends.  Everyone in this strip has some kind of damage and it's easy to see what troubles our introverted gamer girl.  Making real connections with others isn't going to come easy for her.  She's used to walking through life as if other people don't really exist.  She does seem genuinely contrite when called on her behavior, she just didn't know it was wrong until it's pointed out to her.  She does seem to have really opened up to Dale and invested a lot in him emotionally.  Maybe that will lead to an expanded worldview.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #121 on: 17 Mar 2015, 06:01 »

Did Dale end up moving in with Marigold? I forget  how that diversion ended... Maybe it's going to come up right now?

Momo is now contributing towards the rent on the apartment after Marigold forgave her the cost of her new chassis. Remember that this is still a fairly young relationship but I can see them moving in together eventually, possibly there is a 'musical chairs' in the offing triggered by Angus leaving.
~~~~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #122 on: 17 Mar 2015, 06:38 »

No it hasn't. It's been established that some people on this forum consider her to be.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #123 on: 17 Mar 2015, 08:37 »

No it hasn't. It's been established that some people on this forum consider her to be.

Sorry, CM_albion... I see what you mean. Can I have some popcorn, too?

CM_albion

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #124 on: 17 Mar 2015, 09:17 »

I brought plenty Swapna, pull up a chair.   :lol:

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #125 on: 17 Mar 2015, 11:04 »

Kale rhymes with Dale.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #126 on: 17 Mar 2015, 15:23 »

*Pops open Tube of Roast Chicken Pringles and pours some Orange Fizz*
James The Kugai 

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #127 on: 17 Mar 2015, 15:33 »

Roast...chicken...Pringles?

Man, the things I miss, being gluten intolerant...
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Endellion

• I pun, therefore I am
« Reply #128 on: 17 Mar 2015, 15:36 »

*Pops open Tube of Roast Chicken Pringles and pours some Orange Fizz*

*Pops open Tube of Salt and Vinegar Pringles and pours some Apple Tango*

To each their own :D
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #129 on: 17 Mar 2015, 15:36 »

:(

They didn't have any Salt and Vinegar ones in the Store when I did the Shopping this morning, and I've never heard of Apple Tango.

James The Kugai 

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #130 on: 17 Mar 2015, 15:39 »

How dare you mention roast chicken Pringles. :P

There was a shop not too far from me that had Walker's (what would be Lay's over here) in all sorts of flavors they don't make in the States. I picked up two of every flavor, fell in love with them, and found that the shop had closed the next time I went back. So disappointing.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Endellion

• I pun, therefore I am
« Reply #131 on: 17 Mar 2015, 16:07 »

:(

They didn't have any Salt and Vinegar ones in the Store when I did the Shopping this morning, and I've never heard of Apple Tango.

You don't know what Tango is?  :-o

...well I don't think it's travelled far beyond the UK borders. Basically it's a carbonated soft drink in a variety of flavours with some very unusual and weird advertising.
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #132 on: 17 Mar 2015, 16:20 »

Nope.

Not unless it's sold at one of the specialist stores here.

Hmmm

There is a Made in Britain type store here somewhere.
James The Kugai 

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #133 on: 17 Mar 2015, 16:31 »

I don't know that you're actually missing anything...
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #134 on: 17 Mar 2015, 16:36 »

In other words - you know when you've been tangoed.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #135 on: 17 Mar 2015, 16:39 »

Can we talk about how adorable Marigold looks on the first panel? *Squee intensifies*

Welcome, and remember, few truly survive the internet.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #136 on: 17 Mar 2015, 16:48 »

I don't know that you're actually missing anything...

Yeah, I know.  I can get by without Pringles, I'll be fine.

Just don't say anything about Twizzlers...

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #137 on: 17 Mar 2015, 17:04 »

I'm confused; potatoes have gluten issues? Or is there something added to Pringles that's the issue? I know they're the mechanically separated chicken of potato chips, so neither would surprise me.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #138 on: 17 Mar 2015, 17:34 »

Pringles have wheat in them, regular potato chips don't.

Licorice has wheat in it, too, which MAKES ME ANGRY.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #139 on: 17 Mar 2015, 17:51 »

See, that wouldn't bother me. I'm not a picky eater, but black licorice (and similar flavors, like anise and whatever the hell it is Ouzo is supposed to taste like) is one flavor I can't stomach.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #140 on: 17 Mar 2015, 18:07 »

But but but springerles.

Trust me, you're missing out.

(I would be, too, but my mom bakes excellent gluten-free ones.)

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #141 on: 17 Mar 2015, 18:16 »

Welcome, and remember, few truly survive the internet.

Many of us that do TECHNICALLY live on are forever altered in strange, terrible ways...

You have been warned.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #142 on: 17 Mar 2015, 18:28 »

There's a you that lives on, but it's not the same you as before. The old you is dead and gone.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #143 on: 17 Mar 2015, 19:11 »

Comic's up.

Did Faye shrink? I don't remember Hannelore being that much taller than her.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #144 on: 17 Mar 2015, 19:26 »

"Did-did you remember to sterilize that crowbar?  I don't want to give you any weird infections if I have to break your kneecaps!"

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #145 on: 17 Mar 2015, 19:38 »

Comic's up.

I thought the same thing, and now I can't find other strips where they're standing side-by-side for comparison.

EDIT: They appear together in strip 2902, but Faye's hunched over in that one, whereas she's not in the current one. She's the same height standing straight in this comic as she was hunched over in the other, which is a little odd.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2015, 20:07 by Aziraphale »

Half Empty Coffee Cup

« Reply #146 on: 17 Mar 2015, 19:54 »

So Faye's named the crowbar "Moral Support"? Now there's a dark sense of humor!
Mistakes, ahoy!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #147 on: 17 Mar 2015, 20:03 »

"A Streetcar Called Desire", "A Crowbar Named 'Moral Support'".
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #148 on: 17 Mar 2015, 20:05 »

It does sort of look like Hannelore has gotten taller. Compare her in today's comic and here to an earlier one here, where she's only a little bit taller than Faye.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

qc001

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #149 on: 17 Mar 2015, 20:06 »

Comic's up.

I thought the same thing, and now I can't find other strips where they're standing side-by-side for comparison.

Maybe?  Definitely, based on this (not exactly a comic, per se), and probably, based on this one (a few strips earlier).  I randomly did "last comic minus one thousand strips," so she might have been shrinking gradually over the last, what, three or four days in comic time (I kid) to get to this point...

Dang, ninja'd!  But here's one more for yet another comparison...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up