THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 18:05
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

WCDT predictions for the WCDT.

Characters get accused of being bad people.
- 31 (20.4%)
Someone chimes in that they miss Claire, or that they're glad she's still gone.
- 47 (30.9%)
Moderators forced to moderate.
- 22 (14.5%)
A pun is made. Forums spiral into madness.
- 47 (30.9%)
Kosh makes a appearance.
- 5 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Voting closed: 29 Mar 2015, 17:59

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2922 to 2926 (23-27 March 2015)  (Read 42953 times)

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: WCDT 2922 to 2926 (23-27 March 2015)
« Reply #100 on: 24 Mar 2015, 02:14 »

Clearly I picked the wrong name when I filed for my name change. :)

As an aside, my supervisor for my summer job decided to go in a unique direction after her divorce. Rather than reclaim her maiden name, she chose a last name that, when combined with her first name, is pronounced the same as a well-known mountain range in the US (though her first name is spelled differently, it's pronounced the same as the first part of the range).

Can't decide if Sarah Nevada or Katherine Skill.

Adair Ondack.

Edit: Aw, I should have read the rest of the responses before posting.  :x
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2015, 02:26 by Storel »

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #101 on: 24 Mar 2015, 02:26 »

Because we do not see the contributions from others in the group, this storyline is all about Arthur. The others are just fillers. Now, who is Arthur? He looks open and supportive, but that could just be his professional appearance. In private, he could be a creep. Of course, it would be deeply unprofessional for Arthur to take advantage of Jane in her vulnerable state, but you never know what Jeph is planning.

I am disliking Arthur already :grumpypuss:

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #102 on: 24 Mar 2015, 02:37 »

Because we do not see the contributions from others in the group, this storyline is all about Arthur. The others are just fillers. Now, who is Arthur? He looks open and supportive, but that could just be his professional appearance. In private, he could be a creep. Of course, it would be deeply unprofessional for Arthur to take advantage of Jane in her vulnerable state, but you never know what Jeph is planning.

It depends on exactly what's going on in Jeph's twisty brain right now. Personally, I would consider it unethical to approach one of the group members romantically. So, Arthur + 'Jane' is unlikely unless Jeph wants to write Arthur struggling with his professional ethics vs. his attraction.

My favourite idea is that, as 'Abyssinia' isn't a group member, per se and he admires the loyal friendship she is showing with 'Jane', Arthur tries to start a romantic relationship with her. This idea is the origin of my comments yesterday about Hannelore having an identity crisis or starting to live a lie to the point she has a difficulty finding her way back to the truth. I'm thinking that she's interested in turn and manages to suppress her anxieties by telling herself that those are Hannelore's fears, not Abyssinia's.

I'm not saying that she'd go MPD but I think it would be interesting if she starts liking Abby's life more than she likes Hanners' life.

Anyway, back to topic, I'd say that Jeph would be stretching credibility a bit if he tries to have Arthur be anything but a supporter, counsellor and friend to 'Jane'.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2015, 02:55 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #103 on: 24 Mar 2015, 02:49 »

For a moment, in panel four, I thought she meant Marten and she was starting this story a looong way back. But that notion was rapidly dispelled.

It is true to say, though, that she could start this story further back. She has had a bad relationship with alcohol for a while. But I suppose that's like starting to explain a car crash by describing your first driving lesson.

NilsO

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) (_!_) Butts Butts Butts Butts
« Reply #104 on: 24 Mar 2015, 03:47 »

Re: Alternate/new identities. I am on thin ice here, but I imagine it might help to distance yourself from the problems you have in your life. Has there been any research on this? Do some people change their name just for this reason?

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #105 on: 24 Mar 2015, 05:14 »

Clearly I picked the wrong name when I filed for my name change. :)

As an aside, my supervisor for my summer job decided to go in a unique direction after her divorce. Rather than reclaim her maiden name, she chose a last name that, when combined with her first name, is pronounced the same as a well-known mountain range in the US (though her first name is spelled differently, it's pronounced the same as the first part of the range).

If she was an older lady, she could be Gran Tetons.

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book
« Reply #106 on: 24 Mar 2015, 05:23 »

Given Faye's large step today, she should be named Alps.
Because the Lord Alps those who Alp themselves.

(once again, thanks Groucho)
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #107 on: 24 Mar 2015, 05:51 »

That wasn't resolve though. She literally just said she didn't go with Angus because she's a coward. That's the opposite of resolve.

Best thing for Faye is moving to new york with Angus. Not so much for the sake of love, but for the sake of moving forward with her life.(I'd say there's love there, but not like 'It's destiny! One true love!' love, which isn't to say they couldn't live their lives together happily)

Of course, NOW it's not so simple as just calling him up. Now she's got shit to work out. Hopefully he'll still be there when she does.

I disagree that the best thing for Faye would be moving to New York with Angus, for a couple of reasons.

-Faye genuinely enjoyes her life and her friends in NoHo, she's comfortable there, she had stability, and she seems to genuinely like living in that area.

-Faye has said repeatedly that she doesn't like cities. Why would she want to move to an area she doesn't like?

-Even before Angus had the callback, Faye had doubts about the strength of their relationship ( I tried to find the comic, but my archive fu isn't up to par, apparently) I think Faye likes Angus, and probably appreciates an easy way to satisfy her libido, but I don't really think they have much in common in terms of goals, preferences, or interests. Basically I'm saying that moving to another city for a boyfriend that you aren't certain about is a bad idea.

-Faye has tried the whole "pack up your life and move somewhere completely new" thing before. It didn't help her with her issues, and I don't see why following Angus to New York would have.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #108 on: 24 Mar 2015, 06:01 »

@TRVA123,

Agreed. I think that the opportunity was lost when the 'Where do you see yourself in a year's time?' conversation got side-tracked. Faye should then have told Angus that she saw herself in Northampton; not necessarily doing the exactly the same things or being in exactly the same place but, nonetheless, in Northampton. Why? Because it's her home and there are people there who are her family. She's happy there and that is something that can't be easily cast aside, even if she is falling for Angus.

Angus told Faye explicitly on at least one occasion that Northampton was just a stop on the way to greater things for him. That should have been Faye's sign to back off because that was the difference and barrier that could never have been crossed.

Of course, hindsight is 20/20, isn't it? I think that Angus was the most exciting and emotionally intense thing that had happened to Faye in a long time and, because she's human, she couldn't just walk away so long as she could fool herself that the problems and conflicts in the future could be put off forever.

It's sad, but it happens RL relationships too.
~~~~

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #109 on: 24 Mar 2015, 06:18 »

I hate that Faye is characterizing her reluctance to drop everything and move to NY with Angus as cowardice. Idk, maybe a part of that is fear of change.

But I never thought Faye was afraid of change, I mean, she dropped her previous life in the south to go to NoHo. I think she is afraid of abandonment. Angus was obviously aware of this, and he did absolutely everything possible to reassure her.

I wish Faye had looked back at the situation and realized that it was a step forward for her. She realized that she would rather be "abandoned" by a lover than go with him and sacrifice her life in NoHo. She may still have issues with abandonment, but they aren't crippling, and she isn't so afraid of losing her lover that she would give up what she wants to keep him.

Honkytonk

• Plantmonster
  • I am a Duck
« Reply #110 on: 24 Mar 2015, 06:40 »

How can people be pro or anti Arthur at this stage when he's literally only been in 3 comics? 13 panels, in which he speaks in 9.  Tad early.

That said I quite like BenRG's idea about Hannelore being able to use 'Abyssinia' as a proxy. I don't think it'll happen, but it's a nice concept.
Quack Quack.

Somnus Eternus

• Furry furrier
  • IT'S DEFINITELY LUPUS.
« Reply #111 on: 24 Mar 2015, 07:20 »

How can people be pro or anti Arthur at this stage when he's literally only been in 3 comics? 13 panels, in which he speaks in 9.  Tad early.

Because sometimes, you just know.

You just...know.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #112 on: 24 Mar 2015, 07:22 »

You just...know.

Except for the part where we don't, yes, precisely.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #113 on: 24 Mar 2015, 07:38 »

You just...know.

It's called projection. And believe me, enough of that goes on that we could show movies...

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #114 on: 24 Mar 2015, 07:52 »

You just...know.

It isn't what you don't know but what you wrongly think you know that ends up getting you.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #115 on: 24 Mar 2015, 09:56 »

At this rate, Arthur will make Antichrist before Friday. :P
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

mikmaxs

« Reply #116 on: 24 Mar 2015, 10:11 »

Okay, this comic is one of the reasons why I love QC so much, in spite of many problems that I've consistently had with it. Jeph Jacques doesn't shy away from handling sad or dramatic moments, and even if I don't like what moments he chooses to include, he handles them so well. I've seen other daily-panel comics try dramatic moments, but it fails when they tell jokes that, funny or not, don't mesh well with the tone. Pretty much every time Jeph wants to go the depressing route, though, he either forgoes the joke or writes one that doesn't rob the drama of its punch.

Don't mind me.

ysth

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • capital eszet
« Reply #117 on: 24 Mar 2015, 10:26 »

Really disconcerting to see people speculating about Faye's next relationship.  She isn't in any place for that and knows it.

What I'm wondering, is if she wants to drink so badly, why isn't she?  What's motivating her to have stopped?  And when did it hit?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #118 on: 24 Mar 2015, 10:32 »

Winding up in the hospital is what hit her. Getting over alcohol addiction isn't as simple as deciding not to drink any more and then stopping. Otherwise support groups and alcoholics wouldn't exist. The problem is having that need to drink and knowing you shouldn't, then resisting that urge. That's why she's not drinking. She knows she can't continue down that road and is taking steps to keep her away from what she most wants... drunken oblivion so she can avoid her pain.

mikmaxs

« Reply #119 on: 24 Mar 2015, 10:32 »

What I'm wondering, is if she wants to drink so badly, why isn't she?  What's motivating her to have stopped?  And when did it hit?

I don't know if you've read The Shining, but the early chapters are a good insight into the mindset of an alcoholic who hasn't had a drink in a while. (At least, I assume it is. It feels realistic, I don't know from experience.) She logically knows it's bad, she can see that it's killing her (both literally and figuratively,) drinking is ruining her life, but the desire to drink is still present because she's addicted.
Don't mind me.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #120 on: 24 Mar 2015, 10:33 »

Waking up with Marten and Hanners sitting at her bedside, looking as if their world was coming to an end... and realising that she had done this to them by her drinking herself almost to death.

Yes, Faye wants and craves to keep drinking; there is a part of her that needs it and is screaming at her 24/7 to drink. Strip 2893 proves that. This strip is, IMHO the turning point, by the way. It clearly shows the moment when Faye decided that, as far as she has power over her impulses, she's going to be dry from now. At the start of that strip, I'm convinced that she intended to sneak a shot or six of hard stuff. Then, in panels 4 & 5, we can see the internal struggle, her desires and her desire never to hurt her friends like that again warring each other in her head. Finally, she decides that isn't going to hurt her friends and family with her weakness. So, she poured the whole bottle down the sink as that weak, alcohol-dependent part of her screamed abuse at her for doing so.
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2015, 23:56 by BenRG »
~~~~

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #121 on: 24 Mar 2015, 10:53 »

Arthur's ultimate goal is to lure individual members back to his apartment where he'll knock them out and steal their livers to sell on the black market.

That's why the group has a age limit, he wants to get those things out before they destroy them with their drinking.

APersonAmI

• Plantmonster
« Reply #122 on: 24 Mar 2015, 15:18 »

Trigger warnings: Abuse, r*pe

Re: Alternate/new identities. I am on thin ice here, but I imagine it might help to distance yourself from the problems you have in your life. Has there been any research on this? Do some people change their name just for this reason?

You are describing Dissociative identity disorder, a disorder most commonly found in people who suffered severe physical and/or emotional abuse as children, who imagined the pain and horrible things as happening to someone else, in self defense. Currently, the "multiple personality" disorder considered to have the most merit, and have the most people vouching that it is a real thing. Especially common in people who were sexually abused by family members at a young age.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissociative_identity_disorder
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2015, 15:31 by APersonAmI »

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #123 on: 24 Mar 2015, 15:32 »

I'm worried we'll find out his last name is Dent.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

gopher

« Reply #124 on: 24 Mar 2015, 15:49 »

I hope not, because Arthur Philip Dent is a complete jerk, an asshole.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #125 on: 24 Mar 2015, 16:01 »

I hope not, because Arthur Philip Dent is a complete jerk, an asshole.

Wow. Okay, Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged, it's not OUR fault you're immortal now
« Last Edit: 24 Mar 2015, 16:48 by chaospersonified »
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Mr. Skawronska

• FIGHT YOU
  • Well-Dressed Cynic
« Reply #126 on: 24 Mar 2015, 16:16 »

Hey!  I don't care about Arthur.  I am enjoying the...uh..."progress" that Faye is making.

:popcorn:
"Social niceties are for those who can tell the difference between fightin' and fightin' words, son."

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #127 on: 24 Mar 2015, 16:20 »

*Hits you with Thor's Hammer*
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #128 on: 24 Mar 2015, 16:30 »

*Hits you with Thor's Hammer*

*Melts Thor's Hammer*

Finally vengeance for all those innocent lug wrenches.
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

ProphetDK

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #129 on: 24 Mar 2015, 16:48 »

I wonder if Hanelor's fake name is a reference to MASH. Col. Blake leaves on the episode: "Abyssinia, Henry"

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #130 on: 24 Mar 2015, 17:09 »

Probably not. I suspect "Abyssinia Coelocanth" is just two pretentious-sounding words that sounded funny when Jeph put them together in his head. And I seriously doubt Hannelore is about to exit the strip in a dramatic and shocking fashion.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #131 on: 24 Mar 2015, 17:22 »

Probably not. I suspect "Abyssinia Coelocanth" is just two pretentious-sounding words that sounded funny when Jeph put them together in his head. And I seriously doubt Hannelore is about to exit the strip in a dramatic and shocking fashion.

OR PERHAPS HANNERSMOM IS TRULY DESCENDED DIRECTLY FROM MAD EUROPEAN ROYALTY

Or landowner. Whatever the frak a baroness is.

I so want this to become canon.

AlsoPersonifyingChaos

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #132 on: 24 Mar 2015, 17:24 »

Baroness is royal family. Source: Baroness Tita Cervera of Thyssen - Bornemisza.

Celebrity in spain, somewhat. Just don't ask.

We do know that Hanners is wealthier than the average arab sheik, and Beatrice's behavior doesn't look like one from someone who hasn't been filthy rich for several generations. It could be a long shot, but Abyssinia Coelacanth could have existed in the QCverse. While John Elicott has probably made a fortune as well with his genius, his behavior is much different. As if he worked hard to get ze fundz and is now making sure he doesn't lose it all.

Warning - while you were typing, chaospersonified has exposed a similar point. You might wish to scrap your post

Nah, I won't. To be fair, I also want that to become canon.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #133 on: 24 Mar 2015, 17:29 »

Would an insane baroness be good with her funds? It seems mad financial management could lead to the family's fortune disappearing, and seeing as I still think the mad baroness side must be on Beatrice's side, it would stand to reason that after seeing her mother squander the family's wealth, Beatrice might have found ways to ensure it could never happen again.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

grez

• Plantmonster
« Reply #134 on: 24 Mar 2015, 17:36 »

what actually gave me the most feels from today's comic was the support group host's response. Something about unwarranted compassion gives me a sad

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #135 on: 24 Mar 2015, 17:41 »

Would an insane baroness be good with her funds? It seems mad financial management could lead to the family's fortune disappearing, and seeing as I still think the mad baroness side must be on Beatrice's side, it would stand to reason that after seeing her mother squander the family's wealth, Beatrice might have found ways to ensure it could never happen again.

An insane Baroness could also have enough money to buy a mansion made of several smaller mansions every day of the year. In fact, the latest playable Borderlands the presequel character is literally that. The Wealthiest Woman Of All Galaxy, and also an insane sociopath with a kink for freezing things to death.

This post is brought to you by Borderlands References.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #136 on: 24 Mar 2015, 18:17 »

Comic.

The feels.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #137 on: 24 Mar 2015, 18:21 »

Alright, I like a joke or gag strip as much as the next person, but I'm glad this one wasn't played for laughs, and it's also nice to see Faye resort to openness and compassion instead of snark. Pitch perfect all 'round.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #138 on: 24 Mar 2015, 18:22 »

Is that Marigold's dad in panel 5?  Whatever he's using for his hair, it's working.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #139 on: 24 Mar 2015, 18:24 »

So 4 different support group members add up to a single Faye Whitaker. Truly an impressive unit of measure.

(And if you think I'm being hard on Faye: Read the archives. The only things we haven't been told are if she drunk in high-school and if she was drunk driving when she may or may not have tried to kill herself. She has done the stressful job chore (even if her job wasn't stressful), we can't be 100% sure her parents weren't alcoholics at some point in time, and the last dude has been Faye's last 2 days).

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #140 on: 24 Mar 2015, 18:26 »

So 4 different support group members add up to a single Faye Whitaker. Truly an impressive unit of measure.

(And if you think I'm being hard on Faye: Read the archives. The only things we haven't been told are if she drunk in high-school and if she was drunk driving when she may or may not have tried to kill herself. She has done the stressful job chore (even if her job wasn't stressful), we can't be 100% sure her parents weren't alcoholics at some point in time, and the last dude has been Faye's last 2 days).

Close on all five, but not quite. Faye, though, could see bits of herself in each of the five.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

ASB84

« Reply #141 on: 24 Mar 2015, 18:31 »

Fantastic comic, I love Faye's expression in the last two panels. I know it's a strange thing to say about a fictional character, but I'm glad to see that this looks like it'll be something that's really good for her.

I hate that Faye is characterizing her reluctance to drop everything and move to NY with Angus as cowardice. Idk, maybe a part of that is fear of change.

"Cowardice" is a strong, harsh word, with negative connotations and context. To that end, Faye's probably not being completely fair to herself, but I see where she's coming from. Not doing something she didn't want to do or didn't feel comfortable with doing doesn't necessarily make her a coward, nor does deciding not to pursue a relationship that she's not sure enough about to make such a big change and take such a big risk. However, I think it's more about what the situation represents and how she dealt with it that makes her feel cowardly.

Specifically:

• When presented with an opportunity to do something different, something more with her life, she balked. Fair enough of course, but she didn't even want to even consider it.
  • She didn't want to deal with the unpleasant reality of the situation, so she tried to put it out of her mind and didn't bring up her concerns with Angus. When she needed help coping or forgetting, she reached for alcohol.
  • When presented with a solution - giving a long distance relationship a try - she avoided giving the matter much thought, and immediately decided against it once Angus got the job.
  • In their final conversation, she couldn't even look at Angus, or give him any kind of answer except "I have to get back to work". No suggestion of talking more about it later, or anything like that. It's too hard, I'm out, it's over.

Fear is definitely a motivation in all of that, but it's understandable, so calling herself a "coward" is a very blunt and harsh assessment. I do think the underlying sentiment is accurate though, even if the word isn't. She was afraid to deal with the situation, afraid to try, afraid that trying might result in failure and heartbreak, so she ultimately bailed before she could get hurt. Only, that was going to happen either way, and because she was afraid to work through those issues, she sought solace and distraction, and arguably confidence and self-esteem, in a bottle. It's a harsh thing to say about herself, but I think it shows she's aware of what she did and how she could've handled things better, as well as a willingness to get better.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #142 on: 24 Mar 2015, 18:43 »

Quote from: Tolkien
"And the Dwarf, hearing the names given in his own ancient tongue, looked up and met her eyes; and it seemed to him that he looked suddenly into the heart of an enemy and saw there love and understanding. Wonder came into his face, and he smiled in answer."

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB
« Reply #143 on: 24 Mar 2015, 18:43 »

Weird, I just assumed that this happened before the last strip. I guess they decided to open up beyond just weekly check-in stuff after Faye told her tale.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #144 on: 24 Mar 2015, 18:55 »

Gotta say, it's rare that a comic gives me hugely good feelings, but this is one of them. Not just the realization on Faye's face when it clicks that there's other people struggling as much as she is, but at the utter wonderment that she's not alone.

... we can't be 100% sure her parents weren't alcoholics at some point in time

Not sure about her mom, but her dad was seen in-strip doctoring his milkshake with what is very likely booze. So there's certainly a possible familial precedent for alcoholism in her family.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #145 on: 24 Mar 2015, 19:20 »

Faye's father used to sneak a drink when they went out for their weekly milkshakes because her mom didn't like drinking. So it's unlikely they were active alcoholics, and I doubt they were at all. One drink a week doesn't make a problem. Being a tea-totaller could be an indication that Faye's mom or someone close to her was one... But there is no other indication, and it's as or more likely that she just didn't approve of drinking.

Faye calling herself a coward is unfair and counter productive to healing. Everyone fails sometimes, everyone has problems. That doesn't make you a failure though, which is how Faye's been feeling more and more since she found out Angus might be leaving, and crystallized when he got the part and she realized she couldn't go with him. Not wanting to uproot her life for her boyfriend doesn't make her a failure, but that's how she felt. So she climbed into a bottle and pulled the cork closed until she nearly drowned in it.

Today's comic, hearing other people's stories and realizing that they were all, including herself, just people with problems. Problems they tried to hide from with alcohol. And which all caused even more problems. That doesn't make them failures... It makes them human. In a way, she's found her people. People that she can understand where they are coming from, and they can understand her as well.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #146 on: 24 Mar 2015, 19:29 »

Faye's father used to sneak a drink when they went out for their weekly milkshakes because her mom didn't like drinking. So it's unlikely they were active alcoholics, and I doubt they were at all. One drink a week doesn't make a problem. Being a tea-totaller could be an indication that Faye's mom or someone close to her was one... But there is no other indication, and it's as or more likely that she just didn't approve of drinking.

Faye calling herself a coward is unfair and counter productive to healing. Everyone fails sometimes, everyone has problems. That doesn't make you a failure though, which is how Faye's been feeling more and more since she found out Angus might be leaving, and crystallized when he got the part and she realized she couldn't go with him. Not wanting to uproot her life for her boyfriend doesn't make her a failure, but that's how she felt. So she climbed into a bottle and pulled the cork closed until she nearly drowned in it.

Today's comic, hearing other people's stories and realizing that they were all, including herself, just people with problems. Problems they tried to hide from with alcohol. And which all caused even more problems. That doesn't make them failures... It makes them human. In a way, she's found her people. People that she can understand where they are coming from, and they can understand her as well.

A drink a week doesn't make an alcoholic, but someone sneaking it does tend to raise red flags.

I'm curious to see how this changes her relationships with the main cast. She may come to the realization that not only the drinking but also a lot of her other defense mechanisms hurt her and the people around her. I can't help but wonder whether we'll see a more vulnerable (or at least more open) Faye... with lots of puzzlement and "What have you done with the real Faye?!!?" from various main cast members.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #147 on: 24 Mar 2015, 19:42 »

A drink a week doesn't make an alcoholic, but someone sneaking it does tend to raise red flags.

I'm just guessing here, but there are a lot of churches in the South that advocate abstaining from alcohol completely, to the point where even the communion "wine" is actually grape juice.  (I'm sure they have them up north, too, but... Bible belt.)  My guess is that Faye's mom is or at least was a member of one of these churches.

So sneaking a drink a week to avoid getting in trouble with a religious wife... less of a red flag than it might otherwise be.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #148 on: 24 Mar 2015, 19:55 »

We probably will never know much more than we currently know about Faye's dad's drinking. However, the fact that he drank in secret, coupled with Faye's own alcoholic tendencies, is very suggestive. I don't see why it should be just dismissed out of hand as an inconsequential thing.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #149 on: 24 Mar 2015, 20:08 »

I'm just guessing here, but there are a lot of churches in the South that advocate abstaining from alcohol completely, to the point where even the communion "wine" is actually grape juice.  (I'm sure they have them up north, too, but... Bible belt.)  My guess is that Faye's mom is or at least was a member of one of these churches.

So sneaking a drink a week to avoid getting in trouble with a religious wife... less of a red flag than it might otherwise be.

There's also entire denominations that abstain completely from alcohol (the church I was raised in being one of them, that being Seventh-Day Adventist). We certainly had grape juice to go with our communion bread - which I somehow managed to get even though I was never baptized  :psyduck:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up