THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Greetings, Hello, and Yo.  (Read 3585 times)

YourBuddyBill

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Abasement Dweller
Greetings, Hello, and Yo.
« on: 23 Mar 2015, 22:14 »

I first started reading QC about two to four weeks ago (I've lost my sense of time). It came up on a discussion on the SCP Foundation about a (fictional) anomalous email from one "Jorge" that was sent to every single email address in existence, even to those that weren't online at the time, and someone posted a link to a QC comic in which Clinton, Marten, Momo, and Hanners (i think) discussed a very similar fictional email from a guy with an inoccuous name (Gary, maybe?). I liked what I saw on that one comic, so I hit the "First" button.
I then spent the next two days completely neglecting my coursework to read every single comic in chronological order. Loved the whole thing.
Then I did it again, just to re-appreciate everything. I think I'll do it a third time, and take notes on how to verbally issue severe (but good-natured) burns.

I'm new around here, although if you really want to dig into a sordid internet history of drama and stupidity, you could probably figure out a lot.
I suffer from depression, ADHD, Aspergers Syndrome (an Autism spectrum disorder, for those unaware), social ineptitude, paranoia, several anxiety disorders (preventing me from watching most non-documentary TV shows or movies), general apathy about many things, and a bunch of other stuff that's mostly less relevant to my stay here. I talk way too much, and spend way too much time typing up long posts.

I come primarily from a forum culture that's a lot more vulgar, hostile, and crude than this one. I'll probably come off as a bit of a douche. If the acronyms "BL", "BLF", and "RTB" mean closely related things to you (or if you know that we're all actually Rotondo), you might know me as King of the Bill (my name down that-a-way; I hesitate to name the site itself because of the vast amount of potentially offensive material posted. Homophobic and transphobic slurs come up a lot).
The secondary forum that I hang out on is a Pokemon-based freeform RP forum that has sadly suffered greatly from inactivity as of late. After accidentally angering half the moderation staff, I relegated myself to a more quiet role there. Ironically I subsequently became the forum's "auto-greeter", greeting new members with a generic copy-paste message that varies only based on current context and events. Other than that, my actual RP-related posts tend to be pretty bizarre; half of them incorporate one "gimmick" or another, with some piece of information at the end that gives the reader a hint as to how to find hidden messages that throw the entire work into a different light.
This will be the tertiary forum hangout of mine.

Other sites-wise. I drop by the SCP Foundation every now and again (and that was how I got here). I'm here, there, and around, usually under "Your Buddy Bill" or "King of the Bill" or some variant of the two; if the site demands a real name, I usually make it "Banzai Bill" (not my real name). I'm on Youtube as "King of the Bill" but my only uploads are years old and represent old work (and curse Youtube for not allowing .mpeg uploads, because those didn't ruin the quality like all the other formats did). I've been toying with a few other odd name ideas as of late, also. My favorites are "Bampersand" and "JekyllManAqua".

I have a massive number of character and world designs, ideas, concepts, enough to make a webcomic (or even a novel) out of, which I should do someday (but too many of them are connected to existing IPs, being characters designed to share a setting with something of some canon, though not necessarily interact with canon characters). The only story that's truly standalone is "Andy's Tale", and that story exists only in extremely rough drafts discussed with someone on another site. The Superscape Project itself comes close, but a ton of species names are borrowed from the OSTs of Hexic HD and the Minecraft records (It seemed like a good idea at the time, and got written so hard that I can't just wipe all that out so easily), and one of the major characters of the overarching backstory is heavily implied to be from Lego's "Bionicle" setting.

I have a weird tendency to insert hidden messages in posts, sigs, and other such things, there for anyone who can find them (and they're not that hard to find).
If you're reading this, congratulations! This is how it's done.
I'm not sure I entirely understand the copyright portion of this forum's rules, so I'm going to ask, because if I don't ask, I'll keep freaking out that I'm accidentally causing problems. Is it okay to use an avatar that's, say, an edit of a sprite that was ripped from a Nintendo game?

So, that's me, and some useless informatiOH MY GOD IVE BEEN TYPING THIS POST OUT FOR TWO HOURS AGHAGHAGHAGH I'm really really nervous and it shows.
I have a lot of issues. Sometimes I'm a jerk without meaning to be one, so call me out on it, because that helps me learn. Also I talk way too much.
There used to be invisible text here but i deleted it because it was a stupid gimmick anyway.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
Re: Greetings, Hello, and Yo.
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2015, 22:22 »

Mae croeso i bawb ddarllenwyr y comic yma. 

Welcome!
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #2 on: 24 Mar 2015, 00:52 »

Man that sure was long. From a quick read I suggest you drop to the SRS BSNS part of the forum to see the welcoming athmosphere in full effect.

In the meantime, welcome aboard!

Note: If you have archive dived with reckless abandon just without coming to the forums, consider your life done now that you joined.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2015, 05:28 »

Welcome to the forums! Read through the rules, mind the gap, Google Translate is your friend, remember the strip has been around for over a dozen years now, and - most important of all - guard your lug wrench.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2015, 15:24 »

Greetings!

*Melts your Lug Wrench*

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

YourBuddyBill

• Abasement Dweller
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2015, 17:09 »

Well, I guess I haven't seen any objections to using the sprite edit avatar, so... I'll... go with it, I guess? If it's a problem, can someone please let me know?
I have a lot of issues. Sometimes I'm a jerk without meaning to be one, so call me out on it, because that helps me learn. Also I talk way too much.
There used to be invisible text here but i deleted it because it was a stupid gimmick anyway.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2015, 22:32 »

It's a bit small, but I have no objections.

But I'm not one to really talk.  The first ever Avvie I had on the first Forum I ever joined was only half again as big.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

YourBuddyBill

• Abasement Dweller
« Reply #7 on: 25 Mar 2015, 06:37 »

I'm glad it's OK. It's the avatar that I use basically everywhere I go. First character design that I ever made that wasn't super-generic (although later on I salvaged a few of the nearly-unworkable early character designs). My usernames are based off the fact that I'd rather be Bill.
My IRL name is Kyle Smith. Most common first name where I'm from (among my age group) is Kyle, and Smith is the most common last name in my area, too, so it's like "Ultimate generic" and I hate it. Even Bill would be an improvement.
Also re: sprite work, I was recently playing Shantae and the Pirate's Curse and getting all upsot at Nintendo because it's impossible to take a noncompressed screenshot of Pirate's Curse (meaning that sprite ripping is impossible for the forseeable future), but I dug through an old sheet from Shantae: Risky's Revenge on another site and found a Golem holding a picket sign.
I turned it into:

(that text on the side of the hammer says "BAN")
I dunno why I brought this up. I guess cause it's the most spriting work I've done in years (I used to do loads more around the time I made my avatar).
Has anyone caught these hidden messages yet?
I also have a neato crosshair gif that I made four years ago (and now I can't find the original files for it, so I had to reconstruct this 3-shades version from a Warioware DIY microgame that I used it in).

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #8 on: 25 Mar 2015, 12:51 »

First Dr. Clef, now you. Surprisingly many of the Foundation's personnel seem to find their way here.

Welcome.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

YourBuddyBill

• Abasement Dweller
« Reply #9 on: 25 Mar 2015, 14:12 »

Actually, I never finished anything for the SCP series. I mostly just hung around the forums and read a LOT of stuff. In the end, most of my work doesn't handle well in SCP format, I've got nothing particular to my name there (aside from being the only person to recognize their own application on the Bad Applications page before that page was removed for scaring away potential members, and that's a dubious honor at best). All in all, I'm not important down that-a-way (or really any which way).

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #10 on: 25 Mar 2015, 14:15 »

Yeah, I started on translating Object articles and additional documentation for the German branch, but I was the only contributer after the last one went away around one and a half years ago, and I was too busy with other things to continue. Oh, and I opened this Forum's Foundation thread. It's buried on page two of the Enjoy forum.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

YourBuddyBill

• Abasement Dweller
« Reply #11 on: 25 Mar 2015, 16:42 »

Ah, yeah, there are a lot of folks who did discussions but didn't ever write a full SCP article.
I wonder how long these threads are supposed to get cut off at.
Anyway now that I've dug through all of QC and a lot of Jeph's commentary I'm getting the idea that I should probably do more work on my art stuff, which I haven't touched in six months because of my worsening issues (and a whole bunch of other shit that doesn't really feel relevant). Currently working on some sort of divers. Unfortunately I can't digital art, and scanners never scan reds correctly. Owell.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #12 on: 05 Apr 2015, 10:49 »

If you haven't discovered the MAKE subforum yet, do check it out.

You have company in having mental health issues ...
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

YourBuddyBill

• Abasement Dweller
« Reply #13 on: 05 Apr 2015, 15:27 »

I just wish I had more to show for it. I still haven't made much (if any) progress on anything lately. Just did a bunch of sketching on pencil and paper.
Also suffering QC withdrawal still. And other webcomic story withdrawal (since I just caught up on another webcomic that I hadn't read for about a year or two).
But yeah.
I cleared a bunch of my earlier posts after looking back and deciding that I was coming off as obnoxious and whiny. Overreacted more than a little bit, but still, if I can't tell where the line is (and evidently I can't), gotta play it safe.

Not really much else to say at the moment. Head hurts. Couldn't sleep at all last night. Not sure why.
Also out of blank paper to draw on. Can't find the ream I had.
Pages: [1]   Go Up