THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 15 Apr 2024, 21:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Marten and Faye and the bottle of wine  (Read 3024 times)

happyninja42

• Not quite a lurker
Marten and Faye and the bottle of wine
« on: 31 Mar 2015, 15:12 »

So I've been re-reading some of the previous strips, and noticed something in a particular one.  I apologize for not linking the specific strip, I thought it was titled "Tannins" but apparently not.   

Strip Summary:
Marten and Faye drink a bottle of wine, and they gave it a specific title of something like "Worry Wine" or "Gripe Wine", basically a bottle to drink while discussing your woes with a friend.  In the followup strips, they both say the following line, independent of each other, and in different locations.

"I don't know why my head hurts so much, I only had 2 glasses of wine". 

Now, I don't know anything about tannins in wine, as I don't drink, so maybe these things are some kind of head smasher to people, but I do find it odd they both say this, and then shortly (and by shortly I mean over the course of a significant chunk of the series), have a significant change in their relationship status.  Marten ends up hooking up with Claire, and Faye ends up breaking up with Angus. 

Now, I'd like to think that this was just a small bit of fun on Jeph's part, but a part of me feels like it was a subtle seed planting for something later?   *shrugs*  I dunno, it feels like wild speculation on my part, and conspiracy theorizing, and I acknowledge that, but it just felt so specific for such a small and inconsequential thing you know?  They both had headaches, they both only drank 2 glasses, and then it's never brought up again, and yet it was important enough to point out in two different follow up strips?

Thoughts?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: Marten and Faye and the bottle of wine
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2015, 15:26 »

Well, the "gripe wine" was probably fermented in an oil drum, or otherwise has some rather horrid story of origin.  Quality (at least before it hits the level of seriously diminishing returns) does make a difference.  A lot of the cheaper shit has added sugar in order to make it more drinkable.  Plus, people tend to fill one glass with double the recommended amount of wine in a serving.  That's nowhere near as bad, but along the same vein as saying "I'm only drinking a pint", then filling the glass with whisky. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

happyninja42

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2015, 17:05 »

Perhaps, that's kind of why I was asking.   I could easily see it just be "really bad hooch" kind of thing, as I've seen enough friends screwed up on bad booze, but it was the identical phrases from both of them that sort of hit the "hidden clue" flag you know?

I mostly hope it is just a "bad booze" joke, and not some implication that they've been somehow altered by bad booze, and that some of their choices are due to that.  I would normally say "that's just silly" but...well this is Questionable Content, we've got Dickicorn robots running around humping guitars and Emily and every other crazy thing that's been shown.  So I can't really say it's outside the realm of the possible for the universe in questions.   :laugh:

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #4 on: 31 Mar 2015, 17:19 »

It was the fact that the two of them drank an entire bottle of wine in one sitting, while just griping. Two glasses doesn't mean much when each glass is a quarter of a bottle.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #5 on: 31 Mar 2015, 17:32 »

Actually, looking at the maths, they didn't over-pour by that much, having about 2.5 standard units each.  This reinforces the idea that they were drinking rotgut, especially since Faye has a pretty high tolerance[1].  This figure varies, of course by the percentage of alcohol in the wine.  If it was a cheap fortified wine, it could even be more alcohol, along with whatever other nasties were in there.

[1]actually, most of the main cast aside from Dora, Claire, and Tai seem to be able to hold their booze.  Even the canonically scrawny Hanners has put away at least 5 martinis in a sitting.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: uǝʇɹɐW and ǝʎɐℲ and the bottle of wine
« Reply #6 on: 31 Mar 2015, 23:52 »

So, is putting people's names upside down something you guys are doing individually for April Fool's Day, or is it something the forum is actually doing itself for April Fool's Day?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #7 on: 01 Apr 2015, 06:37 »

You think I have the patience to write "Hannelore" upside down myself?  :psyduck:
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 01 Apr 2015, 12:43 »

Very clever jwhouk.
James The Kugai 

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #9 on: 01 Apr 2015, 15:54 »

Hannelore

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #10 on: 01 Apr 2015, 15:55 »

!! My fora are cursed!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #11 on: 01 Apr 2015, 16:32 »

They were lucky, sometimes the tannins will blow up your head instead of giving you a headache. There's a song about their explosive nature.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #12 on: 01 Apr 2015, 20:50 »

I'm dead.  That was so awful IT KILLED ME.  Blew me to splinters.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 01 Apr 2015, 21:18 »

spleh taht fi sdrawkcab etirw nac I
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2015, 21:25 by ıɐɓn⋊ »
James The Kugai 

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #14 on: 01 Apr 2015, 21:22 »

shouldn't that be etirw?

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 01 Apr 2015, 21:25 »

seY
James The Kugai 

dexeron

• Obscure cultural reference