THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 04:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 70   Go Down

Author Topic: This thread is like a broken pencil: pointless.  (Read 684287 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: This thread is like a broken pencil: pointless.
« Reply #2750 on: 15 Dec 2018, 17:25 »

Dinner tonight - and I didn't even have to drive to Ottawa:

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2751 on: 16 Dec 2018, 04:57 »

Reported.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #2752 on: 17 Dec 2018, 11:29 »

Nice little clip of Peter Jackson project on restoring old WW1 footage:

Its so smooth! Even if they didn't color it.
« Last Edit: 17 Dec 2018, 13:14 by LeeC »
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2753 on: 20 Dec 2018, 18:54 »

Into the Spider-Verse only has one negative review

« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2018, 15:41 by Blue Kitty »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2754 on: 26 Dec 2018, 09:05 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Detachable Felix

• Kind of a jerk, I guess?
  • Global Moderator
  • Scrabble hacker
  • I'm gonna keep you in love with me for a while
« Reply #2755 on: 26 Dec 2018, 20:48 »

It's currently 43.3°C where I live (that's ~110°F)
I think I am actually melting.
This is Australia, mate. We don't do subtlety.
~She/Her/They/Them~

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2756 on: 27 Dec 2018, 07:09 »

"Only" 43.3C? C'mon. That wasn't even close to one of our highs here in AZ this summer.

EDIT: Seriously. We hit 46.6C on the 25th of July.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #2758 on: 27 Dec 2018, 18:04 »

Remember kids, the hottest seventeen years on record are all inside the last nineteen years.

This is a problem that's getting worse, everywhere.

I remember individual days in Kansas summers that got over 120 Fahrenheit.  And that was before this streak of hottest years on record got going.

The bank signs that show temperature tracked it all the way up to 119, and then just started flashing "Its Too Hot To Work."  It was worth a chuckle, but that time of year we mostly were getting up at night to do outdoor stuff, and sleeping in the daytime.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2759 on: 28 Dec 2018, 07:24 »

As someone who read Macbeth every year in high school, I loved this:

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2760 on: 29 Dec 2018, 03:31 »

my friends cat loves attacking xmas trees but hates plastic bags

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2761 on: 02 Jan 2019, 12:06 »

« Last Edit: 02 Jan 2019, 12:47 by LeeC »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2762 on: 03 Jan 2019, 08:13 »

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2763 on: 03 Jan 2019, 08:21 »

Morituri

« Reply #2764 on: 03 Jan 2019, 17:57 »

"So, Doctor Savage, let me see if I understand this correctly.

You and your associates track down criminals and evil-doers, defeat their nefarious schemes, and capture them..."

"Yes, absolutely."

"Leaving aside for the moment issues of vigilantism and jurisdiction, you then perform brain surgery on them, and let me quote this ... ' in order to cure their criminality and make of them responsible citizens.' "

"Right.  Criminality, properly understood, is a disease and crime merely a symptom."

"Doctor Savage, I have a moral qualm about non-consensual brain surgery."

"Well, none of the people I've treated have a problem with it.  Or, indeed, with any of my methods.  They've all given retroactive consent."

"I may have a moral qualm about that as well...."

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2765 on: 04 Jan 2019, 07:10 »

@Morituri: I think the judiciary system would have a problem with any and all superheroes as they are not apart of law enforcement. Granted your example is defiantly an f-ed up situation with an f-ed up super hero, but with that aside all the other heroes are essentially taking the law in their own hands outside the law, which is not legal.

_________

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #2767 on: 11 Jan 2019, 16:09 »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7702913.stm

Translation of lower part:  "I am not in the office at the moment. Send any work to be translated"

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2768 on: 16 Jan 2019, 10:49 »

Anyone else familiar with "Tidying Up" on Netflix?

Morituri

« Reply #2769 on: 16 Jan 2019, 15:14 »

On average, they say somebody will eat about 23 spiders in their lifetime.

But honestly, you can eat as many as you want. 

Go ahead.  Indulge yourself.  You deserve it.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #2770 on: 16 Jan 2019, 15:45 »

oh god i finally got a reference on this bloody thread and of all things it's TIDYING UP ON NETFLIX

ffs
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2771 on: 16 Jan 2019, 17:10 »

oh god i finally got a reference on this bloody thread and of all things it's TIDYING UP ON NETFLIX

ffs

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2772 on: 16 Jan 2019, 17:38 »

Thanks, I feel better again.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #2773 on: 19 Jan 2019, 03:41 »

Australian Stress Awareness Campaign.

The New Encyclopedia Britannica on Australian Wildlife.

Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2774 on: 19 Jan 2019, 19:01 »

Don't worry. It won't hurt you if you don't annoy it.

Morituri

« Reply #2775 on: 21 Jan 2019, 21:36 »

It occurred to me today to wonder why people assumed that the universe is finite, or expanded from a point after the big bang.  Why people made up the idea of "cosmic inflation" to explain the sheer bigness of what we see around us and the fact that it can't all have come from a point at less than lightspeed during the time of the universe's existence.

It appears to have been infinitely dense, or nearly so, at the instant of the Big Bang.

It does not follow from infinite density though, that its size was ever small.

Infinity, plus the amount of space that's been added, (and is still being added) is still infinity.  Infinity (space) divided by any slightly-smaller infinity (matter) is still infinitely dense.  The Big Bang, for all we can tell, may have happened across infinite space, rather than just at a point. 

We'll never see more than what's inside our lightspeed horizon, but that doesn't mean it's not out there.  And it doesn't put any kind of limit on how much of it there might be.

So why did we need cosmic inflation again?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2776 on: 21 Jan 2019, 22:37 »

As far as I know, the observations of distant objects whose light was redshifted is what led to the conclusion that the universe is expanding (don't ask me how they figured this out, but I think it had something to do with the degree of shifting being related to distance or something).

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2777 on: 22 Jan 2019, 02:13 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2778 on: 22 Jan 2019, 06:20 »

It occurred to me today to wonder why people assumed that the universe is finite, or expanded from a point after the big bang.  Why people made up the idea of "cosmic inflation" to explain the sheer bigness of what we see around us and the fact that it can't all have come from a point at less than lightspeed during the time of the universe's existence.

It appears to have been infinitely dense, or nearly so, at the instant of the Big Bang.

It does not follow from infinite density though, that its size was ever small.

Infinity, plus the amount of space that's been added, (and is still being added) is still infinity.  Infinity (space) divided by any slightly-smaller infinity (matter) is still infinitely dense.  The Big Bang, for all we can tell, may have happened across infinite space, rather than just at a point. 

We'll never see more than what's inside our lightspeed horizon, but that doesn't mean it's not out there.  And it doesn't put any kind of limit on how much of it there might be.

So why did we need cosmic inflation again?

A brief history and science explanation, very brief but I think its a good starting off point to look into it more.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2779 on: 22 Jan 2019, 12:46 »

Morituri

« Reply #2780 on: 22 Jan 2019, 15:43 »

Oh, yeah, I perfectly understand (well, anyway as far as humans do) the expanding-metric nature of the universe, and the theoretic construct of "dark energy" driving it (although I find the latter "suspicious" and half-expect that theory to be eventually shown wrong or incomplete).

What I was questioning isn't really the expanding metric of the universe.  What I was questioning was that starting point.  At the instant of the Big Bang, people tend to think the universe was all located at a single infinitely-dense point, from which it's been expanding ever since.  But it would look the same to us, if that initial point was merely one location in an infinitely-large infinitely-dense continuum, which has been expanding ever since.   The lightspeed horizon prevents us from seeing the rest of it whether it's infinite, or just very very very large. 

Our *observable* universe has a particular finite size.  But the stars out on the edge of our observable universe, we think,  have a different observable universe which includes a bunch of stuff we can never see.  If we traveled there at lightspeed, we would find that that stuff had passed beyond their lightspeed horizon by the time we arrived. 

The debate over how big that additional volume of the universe must be is ongoing, but as nearly as we can tell the metric of space is flat.  Meaning, we're pretty sure it doesn't curve around on itself making a finite whole unless it's so incredibly vast that we can't even detect the "curve" that it would be wrapping around.  And yet people think that having started from a point it must be finite. 

My question is why we think it started from a point.  "Infinite density" does not mean "Infinitely small."  An expanding spacetime metric does not imply that the Big Bang (or the universe) is finite.

Maybe what's out there beyond the lightspeed boundary is just ... more universe, forever.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #2781 on: 22 Jan 2019, 16:23 »

I think you're misunderstanding. Before the Big Bang, the universe was already everywhere, because there wasn't anywhere else to be. It didn't start expanding from a single point, it expanded from everywhere. If the pre-Big-Bang universe had all of its matter condensed into essentially no space, it makes most sense to conceptualise it as point-like because that's what best conveys the difference between it and our present universe. The concepts 'infinitely large' and 'infinitely small' essentially cannot be applied to it, because what would be the point of comparison for its largeness or smallness? The only thing we have is our present universe, and since we don't even know how large it is compared to the observable universe, it is impossible to say how large it was in the past. The only thing we can say is that the pre-Big-Bang universe was infinitely dense.

As far as I know it's perfectly possible that the universe is infinite. Likely, even. But if it wasn't, the above would still make sense. It all depends on how big 'everywhere' is.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2019, 16:29 by LTK »
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #2782 on: 22 Jan 2019, 17:00 »

My question is why we think it started from a point.

Because of how the maths works.  But, note that the point concerned is the apparent dimensions of the universe viewed internally - however, that is the only view allowed, because, even if the universe is finite, there is nothing outside it which we can use a reference for its (non-existent) external dimensions.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2783 on: 22 Jan 2019, 18:00 »

I hear the "assembly" part can be quite time consuming.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2784 on: 23 Jan 2019, 08:44 »

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #2785 on: 23 Jan 2019, 09:19 »

That'd make a great drawing of a D&D monster, if one assumes that the arms/wings are scythes.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Tova

• coprophage

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2787 on: 02 Feb 2019, 04:34 »

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Last Edit: 04 Feb 2019, 19:37 by War Sparrow »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2789 on: 04 Feb 2019, 19:34 »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2790 on: 05 Feb 2019, 00:36 »

I dunno what it is about LeeC's posts in this thread, but they always look blank to me!

:(

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2791 on: 05 Feb 2019, 10:33 »

Is an adblocker stopping anything from (i.)imgur.com?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2792 on: 06 Feb 2019, 00:13 »

Is an adblocker stopping anything from (i.)imgur.com?

It's probably a built in filter from my work...
(which is where I access the board from 90% of the time)

(Edit to correctly reflect %... and thus make a hellofalot more sense!)
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2019, 00:23 by JoeCovenant »
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Blue Kitty

• Twitter

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2794 on: 06 Feb 2019, 19:33 »

Feel like feeling old today?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #2795 on: 10 Feb 2019, 15:10 »

I think this belongs here:

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/02/fox-friends-host-says-hasnt-washed-hands-10-years-germs-not-real-thing-cant-see/

Germs are not real, 'cos you can't see them - so no point in hygiene...

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2796 on: 10 Feb 2019, 16:36 »

Germs are not real, 'cos you can't see them - so no point in hygiene...

People like him aren't entirely useless - at the very least, they serve as explanation for the reasoning behind Mother Nature's decision to equip humanity with an involuntary breathing reflex.

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2797 on: 10 Feb 2019, 19:01 »

I suggest you wait until your mind is in a good place before googling 'germ theory denialism.'

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2798 on: 10 Feb 2019, 19:12 »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #2799 on: 15 Feb 2019, 03:55 »

Awww...

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 70   Go Up