THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 70   Go Down

Author Topic: This thread is like a broken pencil: pointless.  (Read 690560 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: This thread is like a broken pencil: pointless.
« Reply #2600 on: 18 Aug 2018, 19:35 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2601 on: 20 Aug 2018, 08:59 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

nekowafer

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • fuck the secret sauce I'm gothalicious with cheese
what she said was sad, but then, all the rejections she's had, to pretend to be happy could only be idiocy

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2603 on: 22 Aug 2018, 05:57 »

friend: what’s the name of that one pokemon move a lot of grass-types have in which they raise both their attack and special attack by one level?

me:

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2604 on: 22 Aug 2018, 18:06 »

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2605 on: 23 Aug 2018, 12:47 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2606 on: 24 Aug 2018, 19:07 »

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #2609 on: 28 Aug 2018, 09:24 »

Ah, America.  Where anybody can, at least in theory, file a complaint against anybody.  We've had more than a few that elicit deeper boggling than this but....  yeah.

In case you didn't get the literary reference in the ruling, the "Devil And Daniel Webster" is a classic though particularly American short story, hardly read by anyone outside the US.  The English-to-Legalese summarized translation is a nice bit of 'meta' humor in here.

This kind of foam spraying off the edge of lunatic fringe rarely reaches actual court, usually because the would-be litigants can't find attorneys who'll take a case that has no chance of success.  Usually they can't afford one.  Especially given that  poverty, though usually the outcome of poor planning or just plain bad luck, is also frequently found as a symptom of  untreated mental illness. And, in true tragic fashion, given the difficulty of affording medical care in the US, often one of the reasons it remains untreated.

The US system provides the assistance of the district attorney to those who can't afford a lawyer as defendant in a criminal trial - but this is civil law, and with civil law you're on your own.

Affording an attorney is not a factor for that minority who have discovered that they can file pro se - which means everyone has the right to represent themselves rather than engaging an attorney.  But even pro se cases usually don't reach court because, like this one, there are basic errors in filing that prevent them from going forward.  The judge is right here: Jurisdiction and Process Service are in fact a problem, even if we assume as the litigant does that the defendant exists. 

There are days of engaging reading - alternating between entertaining and tragic - in the records of pro se cases in the US.  Wild conspiracy theories of paranoids, suits against the producers of baking soda claiming that the product ought to come with a warning that if you use it to make crack cocaine somebody might throw you in jail,  and just plain heartbreaking motions suing the ghost of a dead spouse for emotional support.  If they are not frivolous (in the narrow sense of being filed with insincere intent) somebody has to rule on them or at least say why not.  And in most of these cases there's no reason to doubt sincerity.

Edit:  If you thought Mayo vs. Satan was mindboggling, try this: 

http://dev.null.org/psychoceramics/archives/1997.12/msg00054.html

http://www.milk.com/wall-o-shame/conspiracy.html
« Last Edit: 28 Aug 2018, 11:16 by Morituri »

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2610 on: 28 Aug 2018, 12:13 »

Psychoceramics: the study of cracked pots?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #2611 on: 28 Aug 2018, 12:40 »

Crackpots.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2612 on: 28 Aug 2018, 15:37 »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2613 on: 29 Aug 2018, 01:38 »

Covenant

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2614 on: 02 Sep 2018, 18:18 »

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2615 on: 03 Sep 2018, 00:30 »

Today's top results in autocorrect:
Pintsize: ponytails; pianola

Marten: Marva (alright, at least there's a music connection)

signalling: assassination

assassination: asscorrection

Seriously, Android?
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2617 on: 04 Sep 2018, 12:21 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2618 on: 05 Sep 2018, 09:05 »

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #2619 on: 05 Sep 2018, 09:35 »

This explains why my Gen-Xer mouth keeps replying "No problem" when I help a Boomer in need.

I don't view it as a gift given, but as a civic duty fulfilled.

AND GUESS WHO INCULCATED THAT POINT OF VIEW IN ME WHEN I STILL BELIEVED THEY WERE BASICALLY GOD?  :x
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Morituri

« Reply #2620 on: 06 Sep 2018, 21:31 »

A song about Donald J Trump, with some amusing animation that makes a nice metaphor. 

Warning....  the song's title, and a prominent lyric in the song, is considered to be offensive language by some people who have never heard really  offensive language. 

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2621 on: 07 Sep 2018, 19:38 »

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #2624 on: 13 Sep 2018, 15:18 »

The Bard says Baa.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2626 on: 20 Sep 2018, 18:46 »

Ok so I have a story. I worked Fantasyland (Dumbo) at Magic Kingdom. We had a girl transfer from Pirates of the Caribbean. And she told me the most amazing story.

So Pirates is down (shocking) And this particular boat is stopped at the first big scene, Where Barbosa is on the ship yelling for Jack Sparrow.

Anyway the boat has been stopped for about 15 minutes at this point, and there’s a couple sitting alone in the back. So the guy decides that nothing gets him in a better mood than the smell of water that hasn’t been changed in roughly 50 years, and convinces his girlfriend to blow him.

Now this girl is in the booth, along with the coordinator, watching this go down. Literally. There’s not much they can do to stop it at this point, other than notify security. Then another problem arises. The guy finishes, and the girl makes the motion to spit.

In. The. Fucking. Water.

Now if that load is released into the water, thats an automatic biohazard, and the ride is shut down for weeks. The water is removed, the ride path is scrubbed, along with the ride vehicles, and then new water is brought in. Costing the company thousands of dollara and pissed off tourists. The worst combination on this earth.

Panicking at this predicament, the coordinator grabs the mic in the control booth and says:

“Spitting is for quitters.”

This echoes over the bitching of guests and 50 year old audio of pirates commiting various crimes.

The look on this woman’s face was priceless. She gazes up, as if Walt himself commanded her from the grave, and swallows.

I’m told the ride started 5 minutes later and the couple ran out from the exit queue as fast as they could.

And this is why you dont fuck at Disney. Because cast members will call you out and it will be the highlight of our day.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2627 on: 20 Sep 2018, 19:33 »

Spitting into water that smells like it hasn't been changed in fifty years is an automatic biohazard, huh?

Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #2628 on: 23 Sep 2018, 15:02 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2629 on: 26 Sep 2018, 06:41 »

This one really hit home for me:

« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2018, 08:48 by LeeC »

Morituri

« Reply #2630 on: 26 Sep 2018, 09:39 »

A thing you gotta remember in those fantasy settings, is that even amongst the elves, a lot of the boys apparently don't go for that stick-figure stereotype.  Or where do you think Half-Elves come from? 

Sexy women got curves, bud.  Something to give thanks for.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2631 on: 26 Sep 2018, 10:47 »

I really need to get a switch and play this game:

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2632 on: 26 Sep 2018, 13:43 »

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2633 on: 26 Sep 2018, 18:24 »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
Covenant

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2635 on: 28 Sep 2018, 19:32 »

There's never a cop around when...oh nvm

As a Norman descendant, and knowing history, I found this to be funny:

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2636 on: 02 Oct 2018, 01:53 »

Runaway horse causes chaos in French cafe after escaping its racing stable in Chantilly

Haha "horse walks into a bar." Funny.

*watches video*

Holy shit, that is frightening.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2637 on: 02 Oct 2018, 21:29 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2638 on: 03 Oct 2018, 03:46 »

Also shown, but unlabelled: What I can put into words in the form of a Venn Diagram.

It's the little circle.

Morituri

« Reply #2639 on: 03 Oct 2018, 10:06 »

Well, you're doing better than me then.  In my case "what other people actually understand" often lies entirely outside of "what I think" and all its subsets.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #2641 on: 03 Oct 2018, 14:41 »

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2642 on: 03 Oct 2018, 15:20 »

Well, you're doing better than me then.  In my case "what other people actually understand" often lies entirely outside of "what I think" and all its subsets.

I disagree. Sous vide with a reverse sear is actually the best way to cook a steak.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2643 on: 03 Oct 2018, 20:14 »

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2644 on: 03 Oct 2018, 22:46 »

wait wait this is just an australian thing? oh dear fsm

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2645 on: 04 Oct 2018, 00:21 »

Yeah that is some pretty dark shit for a birthday. Sounds pretty metal though.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2646 on: 04 Oct 2018, 00:35 »

That's the Australian sense of humour for you, I guess. Goes to show how you just accept stuff you grew up with.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2647 on: 04 Oct 2018, 01:30 »

Hmmm...

Didn't know this as a "birthday" song, but as a rugby song.

"Why was he born so beautiful, why was he born at all - he's no fucking use to anyone, he's no fucking use at all!"

(What they call "Banter" these days...)

Now - The Aussies like to think of themselves as a Rugby Nation - so maybe the transition to birthday a song is understandable!

What ISN'T understandable is why the lyric would be toned down! :) :)
Covenant

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #2648 on: 04 Oct 2018, 03:55 »

Don't think Mum would've approved that version of the song being sung at our birthdays when we were kids.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #2649 on: 04 Oct 2018, 11:05 »

What ISN'T understandable is why the lyric would be toned down! :) :)

To post in a Twitch chat?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 70   Go Up