Old tattoo
- 1 (1.7%)
Tattoo (whilst sober) because Emily insisted
- 14 (23.7%)
Burn
- 15 (25.4%)
Damn, Emily is FAST with that felt-tip!
- 11 (18.6%)
Robo-Hand's recharge socket (hey, it's an older model, okay?)
- 5 (8.5%)
Pattern on Clinton's flesh-coloured body stocking
- 9 (15.3%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: 08 Apr 2015, 06:50

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2932-2936 (6th to 10th April 2015)  (Read 40816 times)

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
Re: WCDT 2932-2936 (6th to 10th April 2015)
« Reply #100 on: 07 Apr 2015, 01:35 »

Emily's ignorance of social conventions might be an advantage for Clinton, who obviously isn't too familiar with some of them himself.
Ironically, consulting conventional dating advice from the internet might be especially inappropriate in this case, since Emily doesn't really operate on that plane. For all we know, she might respond well to what the rest of us would call a social gaffe from Clinton.

Except that we already know how it's going to end  :-o
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

rfrank dodelijk

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #101 on: 07 Apr 2015, 01:47 »

Smart and crazy is a hard combination to resist

i'm so sorry to use the same sentiment twice as an answer but it's a good one.

that's what smart and crazy people want you to think. really they are quite dangerous.

edited twice due to me buggering up the quotes. sorry.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #102 on: 07 Apr 2015, 03:31 »

Oh dear. Clinton is about to be swept by class 5 hurricane Azuma. I'd suggest fleeing the area as fast as possible, but he seems to have shut off indeed.

Yep, he's in love alright! I'm pretty sure that he's going to do most of this stuff to himself in a desperate, testosterone-addled need to impress "the pretty girl in a sundress". Y'see, panel 4 strongly suggests his higher brain functions may have been knocked offline!

I could see that being what happens. Let's hope he doesn't make an ass of himself to the point where Emily won't want to spend any more time with him.

(Next up: Emily calls Claire and tells her she's had the most wonderful night of her life, AND EVERYTHING STARTS MAKING NEGATIVE SENSE)
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

CM_albion

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #103 on: 07 Apr 2015, 04:02 »

Clinton, run.  :meh:
those are the eyes of benevolent oblivion for you sir.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #104 on: 07 Apr 2015, 04:26 »

Smart and crazy is a hard combination to resist

i'm so sorry to use the same sentiment twice as an answer but it's a good one.

that's what smart and crazy people want you to think. really they are quite dangerous.

Yes, we are.   :mrgreen:

And really, that was a reasonably good plan for a first date. Low-key but fun, and lots of chances to talk about stuff.

Which is probably where things went wrong. Conversations with Emily are prone to fly off on unexpected tangents.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Sylentknight

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #105 on: 07 Apr 2015, 04:51 »

A pretty girl in a sundress has cast my plans to the wind on more than one occasion.  :-D

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #106 on: 07 Apr 2015, 05:30 »

I'm still trying to work out the 'why' of 'Clinnn-tonnn'. Here's another possibility: That's how Clinton pronounces it - he draws out the 'N' sound slightly and puts a clear gap between the syllables. Emily, being Emily, has assumed that it's spelt 'Clinnn-tonnn' and is pronouncing it appropriately.

She'll probably be quite surprised when she finds out the truth. "Why don't you pronounce it that way?" she'll ask.

You can tell that I like the thought of Emily as the ultimate innocent. I wonder if Claire is ready for the day when Emily asks her, as her best friend, what this 'sex' thing is really like?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #107 on: 07 Apr 2015, 05:45 »

I'm still trying to work out the 'why' of 'Clinnn-tonnn'.

Perhaps she perceives each "n" as a separate mora (syllable, sort of), like ン in Japanese.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #108 on: 07 Apr 2015, 06:18 »

I'm still trying to work out the 'why' of 'Clinnn-tonnn.'

Best I can find is that it goes back to this - http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2854. She was being strange and she apparently found it FUN!!
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #109 on: 07 Apr 2015, 06:36 »

Somehow, I just can't imagine Helmuth von Molke going out with a pretty girl in a sundress.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #110 on: 07 Apr 2015, 06:50 »

Somehow, I just can't imagine Helmuth von Molke going out with a pretty girl in a sundress.
Why would you mention that guy ?

Wikipedia says he lived to 90, between 1800 and 1891. So he was young somewhere between 1815 and 1830. Obviously at that time photography wasnt invented yet, so all pictures of him show him as an old man.
Carpe Diem

Hiazi

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #111 on: 07 Apr 2015, 07:00 »

Knowing what Clinton's night is going to end up like in the end, I can't decide if Emily's face in the last panel is terrifying or adorable. Adorifying? Terorable? Hm.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #112 on: 07 Apr 2015, 07:04 »

Why would you mention that guy?
You mean other than because Jeph quotes him in today's strip? :roll:  No reason at all...

Never mind photography, had sundresses been invented in the early 19th century?
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #113 on: 07 Apr 2015, 07:07 »

Why would you mention that guy?
You mean other than because Jeph quotes him in today's strip?  :roll:
Oh, its a quote from Moltke ? Didnt knew that.

Either way Wikipedia says he understood seven languages, wrote a book, made translations etc. Doesnt sound like a man to me that would have trouble getting a woman ?

Err ... Fashion is about clothing. Thats about all I know when it comes to fashion.
Carpe Diem

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #114 on: 07 Apr 2015, 07:11 »

I am not aware of any Western cultures in the early 19th century that would have allowed a young woman to show that much skin in public, no.

Thankfully we live in more enlightened times.

valkygrrl

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • Non timebo catulos
« Reply #115 on: 07 Apr 2015, 08:02 »

Is there a substantial difference between a sundress and a knee-ish length tunic?
Quote from: Tywin Lannister
Any man who must say, "I am the king" is no true king.

rfrank dodelijk

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #116 on: 07 Apr 2015, 08:04 »

isn't clinnn-tonnn the way the simpsons tentacle aliens pronounce president Clinton's name in the tree house of horror episode where they take over Clinton and some other fellah in order to be elected?

Elder Sign

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #117 on: 07 Apr 2015, 08:58 »

In panel 5, those are the eyes that have gazed into the outer dark, and witnessed the stirring of unknowable elder things. That is the face of madness.

Beware those who have gazed in such manner, witnessed uncomprehendable things, and come back sane. They are well worth fearing.

And whomsoever has gazed into the endless Void, and found the Void gazing back at them, if they should ever return from that dread realm beyond time and space, shall be fundamentally and unutterably changed by the incomparable horrors to which they were never meant to bear witness.  Their coming shall be the merest herald of the footsteps of doom.

*rolls for Sanity* ... 1?!  Dammit.
I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

vforvancouver

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • I'm a blood donor: I play rugby.
« Reply #118 on: 07 Apr 2015, 08:59 »

Now I have the mental image of Emily wearing a kimono or a qipao...

and DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG!
—When I was a little girl...
—Wups. Did I heard you correctly?
—Who's telling the story?

tywren

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #119 on: 07 Apr 2015, 09:52 »

I've suspected for a while that Emily is somewhere on the Autistic Spectrum. Although I generally disagree with almost everything rfrank posts, in this case, I will agree as far as to say that any relationship with Emily will be high-maintenance, just because social conventions that you or I would consider automatic and intuitive might be a mystery of sorts to her.

My personal theory about Emily is that she is, or at least was ultra smart (at least as smart as Hanners dad, if not more so). At one point she came up with a theory to bridge the gap between synthetic, and organic lifeforms, by downloading AI into organic brains. When she tried to preform the process on herself with a recently compiled AI, something went wrong, and the two personalities merged. That's why she does so many childish things, such as Clinnn-tonnn (like an toddler trying out a new sound they find interesting), and at the same time she can code programs so dangerous that government agencies EMP them before they can run.
« Last Edit: 07 Apr 2015, 11:08 by tywren »

Undrneath

« Reply #120 on: 07 Apr 2015, 12:03 »

Jeph's Vendetta against courting tips from the internet continues.  :-D

I just hope whatever happened to Clinton was post-date.
I cant help but admire your optimism... I think thats highly unlikely.

Then perhaps not of Emily's design or at least well intentions gone wrong.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #121 on: 07 Apr 2015, 14:47 »

Why would you mention that guy ?
You mean other than because Jeph quotes him in today's strip? :roll:  No reason at all...

great... yet another thing to go look up on google

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #122 on: 07 Apr 2015, 14:59 »

In panel 5, those are the eyes that have gazed into the outer dark, and witnessed the stirring of unknowable elder things. That is the face of madness.

Beware those who have gazed in such manner, witnessed uncomprehendable things, and come back sane. They are well worth fearing.

And whomsoever has gazed into the endless Void, and found the Void gazing back at them, if they should ever return from that dread realm beyond time and space, shall be fundamentally and unutterably changed by the incomparable horrors to which they were never meant to bear witness.  Their coming shall be the merest herald of the footsteps of doom.

When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Akima

• ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #123 on: 07 Apr 2015, 15:49 »

Or an ao-dai, or any other Chinietnapanorean dress... I'm sure Emily would like nice in any of the above. At his next con, Jeph could sell posters like hot cakes.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #124 on: 07 Apr 2015, 15:54 »

The best part about Clinton's date with Emily?  It's not Clinton's date with Hannelore.

I'm glad that Jeph decided to de-creep Clinton and make him a (somewhat) sympathetic character, and I'm really glad he had the sense to avoid rehashing the Faye/Angus storyline, with Clinton continuing to obsess over Hannelore and her dad until she warmed up to him and decided that maaaayyyybeee he wouldn't be such a bad guy to date.  Granted, it took several injury-by-broadsword threats from the Coffee of Doom gang, and a shock from Momo, before he backed off the obsessive stalky fan-crush, but that's still more sense than Angus ever had.  So it's good to see Clinton taking a chance with someone he doesn't already have a history with.  Way to be less creepy, dude.

(I'm still not putting Dale on the same level as Angus.  Dale and Marigold had a weird antagonistic thing going on for a while, but it was more of a weird geeky rivalry that went on too long than a bad John Cusack romantic comedy like Angus and Faye were stuck in.)
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #125 on: 07 Apr 2015, 16:19 »

I think his crush was more on Hannerdad anyway.

Now THERE'S a ship!

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #126 on: 07 Apr 2015, 16:21 »

Of the space variety too.

The best part about Clinton's date with Emily?  It's not Clinton's date with Hannelore.

Definitely. That shows that Clinton is not a numbnut like he appeared at the beginning.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #127 on: 07 Apr 2015, 16:27 »

Or an ao-dai, or any other Chinietnapanorean dress... I'm sure Emily would like nice in any of the above. At his next con, Jeph could sell posters like hot cakes.

Yay, new information. :) I have seen people wearing these before, but I didn't know the name of them. They are very pretty.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #128 on: 07 Apr 2015, 17:00 »

(I'm still not putting Dale on the same level as Angus.  Dale and Marigold had a weird antagonistic thing going on for a while, but it was more of a weird geeky rivalry that went on too long than a bad John Cusack romantic comedy like Angus and Faye were stuck in.)

The early Angus/Faye thing had a serious creep factor. The Dale and Marigold thing, on the other hand, always seemed to come from mutual inexperience and misunderstanding.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Truec

• Furry furrier
« Reply #129 on: 07 Apr 2015, 17:16 »

For some stupid reason, I'm amused by the fact that the hem of Emily's dress is at the same height as the top of Clinton's pants.  I may be easily amused.

Chinietnapanorean

Once I managed to parse it, I immediately decided I love this portmanteau and hope to find places to use it.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #130 on: 07 Apr 2015, 17:45 »

This is *Emily* that we're talking about.  Knowing her, if she put on a kimono or yukata, she'd end up with the obi around her head, somehow, and all the various ties needed dangling from it, and possibly, various parts of her anatomy. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #131 on: 07 Apr 2015, 17:53 »

The early Angus/Faye thing had a serious creep factor. The Dale and Marigold thing, on the other hand, always seemed to come from mutual inexperience and misunderstanding.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too.  But I've read a few comments on these forums comparing Dale and Angus, so I wanted to defend him.  Dale's thing with Marigold was just some socially-inept WoW feud without a hint of romantic attraction (one-sided or mutual) until much later. 
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Energia

• Plantmonster
« Reply #132 on: 07 Apr 2015, 17:57 »

I missed the 2931 bridge cartoon, and started the Clinton/Emily thing with the DB roommate one.  I was enjoying the story better that way.  Also, in 2931, is that a US style double socket on his arm?  With separate holes for Earth pins?  Now I need to do some Googling to understand American electrical systems all over again.  :-\
I want to be friends with people who put at least one comma into the phrase "make do and mend."

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #133 on: 07 Apr 2015, 18:22 »

Energia: Yes, it's a NEMA type 5-15R "duplex" socket. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

Energia

• Plantmonster
« Reply #134 on: 07 Apr 2015, 18:49 »

Thanks for the link - I suspect that shopping in our local versions of Home Depot may be a bit simpler.  Dying to find out what Emily did to Clinton (or couldn't stop him doing to himself!)
I want to be friends with people who put at least one comma into the phrase "make do and mend."

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #135 on: 07 Apr 2015, 19:04 »

o god I hadn't even noticed the haircut

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #136 on: 07 Apr 2015, 19:13 »

So this is the shape of it: Clinton folds more easily than paper to Emily's suggestions.
Mistakes, ahoy!

ASB84

« Reply #137 on: 07 Apr 2015, 19:19 »

This reminds me of an anecdote that Drew Carey recounted in his book, about chatting to a lady in college and her mentioning in passing (as a vague compliment before she left the bar, incidentally not with him) that she liked Brut, which he was wearing at the time.

"Within a week, I was Brut Man."

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #138 on: 07 Apr 2015, 19:26 »

Ah, now it's all starting to make sense.

"I think you would look nice with a tattoo!"
"I think you would look nice with a black eye!"
"I think you would look nice with vomit on your shirt!"

No, wait, it's actually not all starting to make sense.  :psyduck:

tywren

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #139 on: 07 Apr 2015, 19:50 »

Ah, now it's all starting to make sense.

"I think you would look nice with a tattoo!"
"I think you would look nice with a black eye!"
"I think you would look nice with vomit on your shirt!"

No, wait, it's actually not all starting to make sense.  :psyduck:

You have it right for the tattoo, after which i think someone does/says something uncouth to Emily, and Clinton takes a beating after white knighting, then at the end of the date she goes on about how wonderful things went, and kisses him good night, at which point he pulls a Southpark and pukes all over himself.

improvnerd

• Furry furrier
« Reply #140 on: 07 Apr 2015, 19:52 »

I'm still guessing the black eye is from the mosh pit at a punk club Emily suggested they go to.

Schwungrad

« Reply #141 on: 07 Apr 2015, 20:12 »

The hairdresser is a distant ancestor of Uncle John

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #142 on: 07 Apr 2015, 20:12 »

Hooray for traditional barber shops!

Boo, barber who thinks he can pull off a comb-over!

tywren

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #143 on: 07 Apr 2015, 20:21 »

When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche

So there we where, sitting in a nice little non euclidean collage bar, just off the campus of Miskatonic U, trying to translate the Dhol Chants, when this philosophy student comes up and starts talking about Nietzsche. The next thing you know, it's 4 hours later, and we're discussing the parallels between the rantings of Abdul Alhazred, and the writings of modern philosophers. Then all of a sudden we all hear someone hacking up phlegm in the back room to the tune of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn", which as we all know means it's time to pay the tab and GTFO.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #144 on: 07 Apr 2015, 20:29 »

There is a very endearing kind of idiocy to this situation.

Like the puppy who chews the newspaper to shreds in the desperate attempt to drag it to your feet, because it's just too big for him to handle.
oh god

zmeiat_joro

« Reply #145 on: 07 Apr 2015, 20:43 »

The date went well, then. At least that's what I'm taking away from what's happened so far.
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #146 on: 07 Apr 2015, 20:44 »

I wish I could go into an old-timey barber shop and ask for a Popular Men's Haircut.

But you need hair for that...
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #147 on: 07 Apr 2015, 21:06 »

Gimme the Vanilla Ice.

Natswash

• Furry furrier
  • I'm a leaf on the wind...
« Reply #148 on: 07 Apr 2015, 21:11 »

I guess that haircut is rather popular now that I think of it...
"Accurate" and "orbital bombardment" do not fit in the same sentence.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #149 on: 07 Apr 2015, 21:13 »

Of course, Emily only looks concerned in that last panel.  But deep down, you know she's thinking "No plan survives first contact with the enemy"? Oh, Herr Moltke, how little you knew... and trying to suppress a maniacal giggle.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up