Old tattoo
- 1 (1.7%)
Tattoo (whilst sober) because Emily insisted
- 14 (23.7%)
Burn
- 15 (25.4%)
Damn, Emily is FAST with that felt-tip!
- 11 (18.6%)
Robo-Hand's recharge socket (hey, it's an older model, okay?)
- 5 (8.5%)
Pattern on Clinton's flesh-coloured body stocking
- 9 (15.3%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Voting closed: 08 Apr 2015, 06:50

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2932-2936 (6th to 10th April 2015)  (Read 40776 times)

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
Re: WCDT 2932-2936 (6th to 10th April 2015)
« Reply #300 on: 11 Apr 2015, 01:21 »

Depends last time he got checked, prescriptions last for a year. For a glasses wearer it is probably fairly unlikely, but not out of the realm of possibility.

Stormcrow69

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #301 on: 11 Apr 2015, 02:02 »

It doesn't matter how long the prescription lasts. It generally takes a week to get new lenses made, as they have to be custom cut and prepared for each pair of glasses. We ARE talking about a world where sentient robots exist, so I'll hold off on starting a rebellion over it. Maybe there's some sort of lens AI that can instantly create them.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #302 on: 11 Apr 2015, 02:39 »

It doesn't matter how long the prescription lasts. It generally takes a week to get new lenses made, as they have to be custom cut and prepared for each pair of glasses. We ARE talking about a world where sentient robots exist, so I'll hold off on starting a rebellion over it. Maybe there's some sort of lens AI that can instantly create them.
There are three opticians in my town that offer same day service for uncomplicated prescriptions and there was once one that offered hourly service. Same for contact lenses. And that's in a world without robots theoretically capable of inhuman precision wandering in off the street looking for jobs.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

MaxCaine

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #303 on: 11 Apr 2015, 02:58 »

I go to vision express who explicitly offers a 1-hour service, and it's pretty good!

ankhtahr

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • A hacker spathe night owl
« Reply #304 on: 11 Apr 2015, 03:05 »

Huh. I just noticed how long this date seems to have been. Long enough to have gotten a haircut (so around an hour or so, if they had to wait), a tattoo (uhm, no idea, but I'd guess about two hours), glasses (finding a frame and waiting an hour, so probably another 1.5 hours), and they've gone to a bar at the end. That's a lot of time for talking. Almost impossible Emily didn't get a glimpse of Clinton's character, even if he tried to hide it. And she still seems to enjoy this evening.
Quote from: Terry Pratchett
He had the look of a lawn mower just after the grass had organised a workers' collective.

CM_albion

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #305 on: 11 Apr 2015, 04:01 »

Huh. I just noticed how long this date seems to have been. Long enough to have gotten a haircut (so around an hour or so, if they had to wait), a tattoo (uhm, no idea, but I'd guess about two hours), glasses (finding a frame and waiting an hour, so probably another 1.5 hours), and they've gone to a bar at the end. That's a lot of time for talking. Almost impossible Emily didn't get a glimpse of Clinton's character, even if he tried to hide it. And she still seems to enjoy this evening.

Be honest. how hard is it to amuse Emily?

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #306 on: 11 Apr 2015, 04:06 »

Give her a banana, a hammer, and a cup. Emily would be pleased as punch.
Mistakes, ahoy!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #307 on: 11 Apr 2015, 04:59 »

Give her a banana, a hammer, and a cup. Emily would be pleased as punch smoothie.

Fixed that for you.  :claireface:

WareWolf

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Makin' This Up As I Go
« Reply #308 on: 11 Apr 2015, 06:50 »

I go to vision express who explicitly offers a 1-hour service, and it's pretty good!

I've been to several places that offer one hour service....but "not for your prescription, that'll take a week."

Paulina

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #309 on: 11 Apr 2015, 08:19 »

I've been to several places that offer one hour service....but "not for your prescription, that'll take a week."

You probably have a prescription that's rarer than most people,or there might be a different reason . I wear prescription glasses and I usually only have to wait an hour ,same applied to my mom and sister before they switched to contacts . My dad on the other hand usually has to wait longer.

Interlude

• Plantmonster
« Reply #310 on: 11 Apr 2015, 09:14 »

I am new to this discussion board, but a long time reader. I had to make an account finally simply to complain about something minute.  :police: I know. I know, who does that? This is the INTERNET!

The point being, as a glasses wearer, one does not simply go to the glasses store, pick out frames, and have them the same night. Unless he is implying that Clinton is the type of person that bought dorky frames that do not require a prescription, although I think he is the only character I could in no way picture doing that.

That is all. Have a nice day.

We went to the beach with my husband's family last year. My husband handed his mother his glasses for safe-keeping while he taught me how to use the body board. She promptly dropped them. In the ocean. No extra pair. His prescription was expired. We found a place where he was able to have his vision checked/get a new prescription and have a new pair made in less than three hours. And it only took that long because their machine was broken and had to be fixed first. It's possible. Of course, offering same day service close to a beach is just good business sense. The lady who helped us said that it happens a lot.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #311 on: 11 Apr 2015, 10:50 »

You probably have a prescription that's rarer than most people,or there might be a different reason . I wear prescription glasses and I usually only have to wait an hour ,same applied to my mom and sister before they switched to contacts . My dad on the other hand usually has to wait longer.
Yeah, most prescriptions are for simple meniscus lenses, which are effectively sections of the shell of an imaginary sphere. These can be churned out en masse for relatively cheap because the two important surfaces only have to have one radius each and people need them in sufficient numbers that mass-production and distribution is cost effective, plus they can be fitted more easily since rotational orientation is irrelevant.
Other kinds of lens, which have two or more radii per surface, are both much harder to make and much less in demand so they will be custom-made for each individual  which takes days or weeks depending on numerous factors. Similarly, extremely strong lenses are generally not kept in stock at individual stores (though an extensive chain might see enough custom to keep them pre-made at a central location) as they are similarly uncommon, if no more mechanically complicated than lesser powered lenses.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #312 on: 11 Apr 2015, 12:17 »

You're forgetting one thing

This is the QCverse.

Ya know, the one with AI, Robot Companions, an Orbital Space Station/Science Lab owned by the father of one our characters.

One Hour Glasses in this Universe?

Pfffft, drop in the bucket.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #313 on: 11 Apr 2015, 12:20 »

Jeph tweeted
Watching JoJo is rubbing off on this comic I'm drawing

O..oh gosh.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #314 on: 11 Apr 2015, 13:18 »

There was an optician shop which advertised
"We GUARANTEE we will spend more than one hour making your glasses"
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #315 on: 11 Apr 2015, 14:36 »

Who is JoJo?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #316 on: 11 Apr 2015, 14:39 »

From JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, I'm guessing. Heard of it, but never read the manga/seen the anime.

retrosteve

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Very slow tourist
« Reply #317 on: 11 Apr 2015, 14:42 »

Clinton learns how dangerous "Fuck it!" can be as a mentality.

While "Fuck it!" can sometimes, rarely, be very helpful, more often than not... well. More often than not, it's painful to watch.

I believe it was the basis for the movie 'Risky Business'. Remember how that turned out?
Thinks too much.

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB
« Reply #318 on: 11 Apr 2015, 15:29 »

Jeph tweeted

O..oh gosh.

Incoming fabulous Clinton poses!?

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #319 on: 11 Apr 2015, 16:04 »

Jeph tweeted

O..oh gosh.

Incoming fabulous Clinton poses!?

Well, that'll be great.  A week of Awesome Fight Scenes, followed by a kiss on the cheek from Emily, and any shame and humiliation Clinton may have experienced on this date can be swept under the rug and never acknowledged again as anything more than comic blundering.  Hooray!

Edit: Wow, I'm cynical today.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
James The Kugai 

DillyDolly

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #321 on: 12 Apr 2015, 08:30 »

I am new to this discussion board, but a long time reader. I had to make an account finally simply to complain about something minute.  :police: I know. I know, who does that? This is the INTERNET!

The point being, as a glasses wearer, one does not simply go to the glasses store, pick out frames, and have them the same night. Unless he is implying that Clinton is the type of person that bought dorky frames that do not require a prescription, although I think he is the only character I could in no way picture doing that.

I thought about the same thing at first. Then I remembered that QC takes place in a universe where robots are considered individuals capable of self-awareness so given that technology exists to create such beings (and Clinton's robot hand), I can't see why it'd be out of place for there to be glasses that are ready in a few hours—especially since a few stores offer it these days.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #322 on: 12 Apr 2015, 15:17 »

I thought about the same thing at first. Then I remembered that QC takes place in a universe where robots are considered individuals capable of self-awareness so given that technology exists to create such beings (and Clinton's robot hand), I can't see why it'd be out of place for there to be glasses that are ready in a few hours—especially since a few stores offer it these days.

See my earlier Post.
James The Kugai 

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up