Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 09 Apr 2020, 08:15
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: some bands you dig that no one else seems to  (Read 46504 times)

SkepticSight

some bands you dig that no one else seems to
« Reply #100 on: 30 Dec 2004, 17:52 »

The Break
Avenged Sevenfold
Atreyu
Daphne Loves Derby

Taste_of_blood

« Reply #101 on: 30 Dec 2004, 18:23 »

Quote from: -sam
I find it's funny people are throwing out Dave Matthews Band considering that they've sold a hogillion records and are continually one of the top touring acts in the country.  I love Dave and the boys (and I've got the concert collection to back it up) but you're not in the minority when you say you like 'em. ;)

That's all well and good if you live in the US, over here 99.9% of the population have no idea who Dave Matthews Band are...

Quote from: trill
...and everything by the Goo Goo Dolls up till Gutterflower. That one was dissapointing.

I was kinda disappointed by Gutterflower to begin with, but I found it to be a grower, I really couldn't do without it these days...

And all the artists you mentioned get quite heavy rotation on my playlists, in fact am listening to Desperately Wanting by Better Than Ezra as I write this..

czar0406

« Reply #102 on: 30 Dec 2004, 18:28 »

Avenged Sevenfold ive seen live before.  "Waking The Fallen" has graced my CD Player quite often in 2004.

AndrewTBP

« Reply #103 on: 31 Dec 2004, 01:07 »

Silo are excellent. I haven't seen them play this year because I am a slack bastard and now they think I hate them. :-)

ethank

« Reply #104 on: 31 Dec 2004, 02:02 »

Grant Lee Buffalo and Grant Lee Phillips
R.E.M. sometimes :) (although I run their fansite, so I don't expect people to be AS into them as me)
Ken Stringfellow
Macha
The Sea and Cake
Travis

MetaPop

« Reply #105 on: 31 Dec 2004, 06:11 »

dEUS... no one knows dEUS yet they are one of the greatest bands on record and live that I have ever encountered.
Beck (sometimes, around certain people, which is just awful considering that he basically is god)
My Bloody Valentine... every time I say the name people think they're some kinda hardcore/emo type band. Hahahah, shock for them to listen to!
Daft Punk, and Explosions In The Sky.
Oh, and Tom Waits is a genius. Absolute genius. And its true; not enough people know this.

EDIT: I have lost the power of spelling and grammar...

Mercurial

« Reply #106 on: 01 Jan 2005, 23:37 »

Uncle Tupelo are amazing, and they don't get nealy enough love for the amount of Wilco fans I know.
Also, the eels are criminally underpopular. Everyone I give them to likes them, but I never just meet fans on the street

YES.

Of course, the Eels had several radio hits, so perhaps that's a harder case to make.  No one seems to remember them though.  Check out E's solo material as well, if you get the chance.  "Broken Toy Shop" is amazing.

Thal

« Reply #107 on: 02 Jan 2005, 09:27 »

Bush

RaideR

« Reply #108 on: 02 Jan 2005, 09:42 »

Coal Chamber i dont know anybody besides myself who still listens to coal chamber

Taste_of_blood

« Reply #109 on: 02 Jan 2005, 14:52 »

Quote from: Thal
Bush

Superb band.

-sam

« Reply #110 on: 02 Jan 2005, 20:20 »

Quote from: Taste_of_blood
That's all well and good if you live in the US, over here 99.9% of the population have no idea who Dave Matthews Band are...

mmm true, I keep forgetting the rest of the world isn't hip to teh DMB.  Why exactly is that anyway?

-sam

El Opium

« Reply #111 on: 02 Jan 2005, 21:40 »

I doubt anyone else here likes Wolf Eyes, cept Rynn who concurred with me on the confusing properties of slicer.

Lauraaa

« Reply #112 on: 02 Jan 2005, 21:44 »

Fony
Mclusky
Idlewild
Matchbox 20
Goo goo dolls
Ben Harper

trill

« Reply #113 on: 02 Jan 2005, 22:12 »

Ah, Idlewild...
I made a mirror in art with 'don't tell me you don't like mirrors, don't tell me you don't like staring right through your own reflection' sandblasted onto it. I just thought I'd share.

for relavence:
Garbage,
Spacehog
Jesus and marychain & The breeders -both criminally underappreciated around here.

Disko

« Reply #114 on: 02 Jan 2005, 23:47 »

There's only one worth mentioning here:

Babybird

Although this might be just because I'm in love with Stephen Jones, people have only heard You're Gorgeous and forget that there's 10 years of tracks he wrote and recorded on a 4 track that reach indie-pop perfection.

Also, if you're wanting to get into it, don't bother with the best of, you need to go straight to this box set. That is gorgeous.

ethank

« Reply #115 on: 03 Jan 2005, 08:45 »

Quote from: trill
Ah, Idlewild...
I made a mirror in art with 'don't tell me you don't like mirrors, don't tell me you don't like staring right through your own reflection' sandblasted onto it. I just thought I'd share.

for relavence:
Garbage,
Spacehog
Jesus and marychain & The breeders -both criminally underappreciated around here.

Spacehog is a complete guilty pleasure of mine. Its so damn theatrical :)

Mercurial

« Reply #116 on: 03 Jan 2005, 11:24 »

Same here.  Mungo City!

And Jesus and Mary Chain and the Breeders are great.  I'm sure a lot of people here listen to them (ie JMC is mentioned in the "Big Indie Bands Everyone Should Know" thread.

torg

« Reply #117 on: 03 Jan 2005, 11:49 »

Quote from: RaideR
Coal Chamber i dont know anybody besides myself who still listens to coal chamber

i do :D

Lauraaa

« Reply #118 on: 03 Jan 2005, 12:59 »

Awesome Trill! Idlewild are the first band I ever really got into! My friend lives next door to one of the guys aunts!

Portishead also don't get the recognition they deserve!!

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #119 on: 03 Jan 2005, 14:06 »

as good as any danish band I listen to, but I don`t feel like writing them all up...

Martina Topley-Bird=worked with whathisname(the guy with Maxinquaye and all that), her debut Quixotic(Anything over in the states I think) is really good..

Taste_of_blood

« Reply #120 on: 03 Jan 2005, 15:11 »

Quote from: -sam
mmm true, I keep forgetting the rest of the world isn't hip to teh DMB.  Why exactly is that anyway?

Well they recieve absolutely NO press here, which may contribute somewhat...

happybirthdaygelatin

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #121 on: 03 Jan 2005, 16:33 »

Quote from: Praeserpium Machinarum

Martina Topley-Bird=worked with whathisname(the guy with Maxinquaye and all that),

my brain is thinking....Tricky?

Praeserpium Machinarum

« Reply #122 on: 03 Jan 2005, 21:49 »

My brain is thinking that your brain is..correct
they were lovers apparently..

Thal

« Reply #123 on: 03 Jan 2005, 23:35 »

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
David and The Citizens

happybirthdaygelatin

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #124 on: 04 Jan 2005, 12:25 »

Quote from: Praeserpium Machinarum
correct

good to know.  i want to find more stuff by him that is older.

none of my friends are really that impressed with the arcade fire.

Taste_of_blood

« Reply #125 on: 04 Jan 2005, 13:14 »

Quote from: Thal
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

Brooding sexy men playing broody sexy music... what's not to like?

Thal

« Reply #126 on: 05 Jan 2005, 00:59 »

I know more people that dislike them compared to those who like them.
Seems to be one of those bands in my group of friends. Then I know even more people that never have ever heard of them until I try to introduce them.

But then again, many of my friends dont have the best of tastes. ;)

One thing I can say is that are pretty damn good live. Liked thier show in Stockholm 2003 (iirc).

IndieLoser17

« Reply #127 on: 05 Jan 2005, 09:17 »

The Vines! I think there really good and everyone else always tells me how they suck.

Apathy

« Reply #128 on: 05 Jan 2005, 09:27 »

If we're talking on a grand scale of things I don't think I've got any really unique tastes when it comes to specific generally unknown bands, but if we're talking in social circles, then most definitely Alice in Chains, or Interpol (to a lesser extent) or perhaps Soulwax.  Of course, all bands that have been well known and well received by many, but generally the crowd I know wouldn't really look at them twice.

IndieLoser17

« Reply #129 on: 05 Jan 2005, 09:31 »

I also like Alanis Morisetts Head over Heals :(

Bookey

« Reply #130 on: 05 Jan 2005, 13:20 »

Quote from: ethank

The Sea and Cake

That's what I'm talking about!
I *adore* the Sea and Cake.  "Oui" is such a good album.  Rock on, cool internet wo/man.

Thal

« Reply #131 on: 05 Jan 2005, 13:32 »

Quote from: IndieLoser17
The Vines! I think there really good and everyone else always tells me how they suck.

Yeah. I really liked their first cd. The second one didnt have the same "thing" but still ok. Most people I know just ignore them.

negative creep

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #132 on: 05 Jan 2005, 13:50 »

i havn't heard much by the vines, but i liked what i heard...
at least i can say they do not suck.

Face

Re: some bands you dig that no one else seems to
« Reply #133 on: 05 Jan 2005, 18:09 »

Quote from: signature
Cake (except not the new one)

As soon as I saw this topic, I thought "Cake!".  However, a bunch of my friends actually DO like cake as much as I do, so I guess that it might not really apply.

Also! I think that Pressure Chief (the new one) actually is really good...It's kinda different so I didn't like it at first, but it really grew on me.

Lauraaa

« Reply #134 on: 05 Jan 2005, 18:32 »

Lamb

Schmung

« Reply #135 on: 05 Jan 2005, 19:20 »

The Smiths, everyone I know thinks that they're overly emo.

loyalpeon

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #136 on: 06 Jan 2005, 03:29 »

Quote from: Schmung

i've pretty sure you get shot (well, battered i guess, since we don't have that many guns - mind you - battered to a pulp) if you live in britain and do not like the smiths - i mean - it might not exactly be a law per se, but i'm definately sure it's a prevalant convention

also, a similar thing applies with the streets nowadays - mike skinner is the most loveable chav that could ever be hehe

and idlewild's a kickarse band

as to the topic, i listen the american indie music which noone around here seems to know of, but that's hardly the thing that would make waves on this forum hehe... let's see, bands that i listen to that nobody else seems too... hmmm... nah - got me there... donno - i'll get back to you
So I gave the cookies you made to Fawn and the kids, and they couldn't believe it. They were delicious. But I digress... Tremble, puny Earthlings! One day my race will destroy you all!

Schmung

« Reply #137 on: 06 Jan 2005, 04:34 »

Opposite among my circle of friends, admitting you like them is tantamount to    cool suicide, especially among the more rock oriented circle.

Speaking of which, Ladytron. No-one I know likes them, which is something of a tragedy, for they are quality.

Apathy

« Reply #138 on: 06 Jan 2005, 05:35 »

Quote from: Schmung

I could probably get away with saying I like The Smiths within the group of social misfits I seem to hang around with.

fin

« Reply #139 on: 06 Jan 2005, 08:59 »

Yeah, Lamb, Cake and Idlewild kick ass. I'm surprised cake arent more popular over here, its probally becuase their records are quite hard to find(and expensive when you track them down). Not many people seem to know Fiona Apple over here either, but from what i gather she is quite popular in the US.

Edit: anybody heard of chikinki? they pretty damn good elecrto rock, a bit like the cooper temple clause but with better songs and not as heavy and a bit funkier.

trill

« Reply #140 on: 06 Jan 2005, 16:01 »

Has anyone ever heard of Ghost of the Robot? It's James Marster's band, and I really like them, but no one I know does.

And this might just be me being oddly nostalgic, but I love The Presidents of the United States of America.

Morokrat

« Reply #141 on: 06 Jan 2005, 16:25 »

yay, the presidents of the united states of america...thought i'd never see another living being who actually likes them^^

bands i really like but that all my friends hate/don't know/don't care about

would be trans-siberian-orchestra, rasta knast and lolita no. 18...a friend of mine once called me a pervert for mentioning the latter :-(

Coyote

« Reply #142 on: 07 Jan 2005, 16:29 »

I actually like pretty much everything, but here's some of the most unusual stuff from my collection:

Laibach
UK Subs
Einsturzende Neubauten
Dead Can Dance
Arabandi
Jim Foetus
Nick Cave

certain works by:
Happy Flowers
Skinny Puppy

"classics"
DK's
Sex Pistols
Clash
Glenn Miller
Johnny Cash

Normal red-blooded stuff includes things like Garbage, Alanis, NIN, nothing unusual.

ComfortEagle

• Curry sauce
« Reply #143 on: 07 Jan 2005, 22:13 »

white stripes
( i love cake, and the cranberries are good)

Coyote

« Reply #144 on: 09 Jan 2005, 01:00 »

Hm, a couple more... "Marillion", and the solo stuff by their lead, "Fish" (no, not "Phish", Fish with an F). THey're out of Scotland... probably their most well-known album in the US was "Script for a Jester's Tear". Besides myself there's maybe 5 guys I know that also like him. If no one here has heard of them, then I will consider them truly lost.

Drop Kick Murphys is fun... and Kamper vanBeethoven.

Tom Waites is cool... and I will miss Warren Zevon. Terribly.

Squirrel Nut Zippers... and the Cherry Poppin' Daddies "Zoot Suit Riot".

KharBevNor

• Awakened
  • broadly tolerated
    • http://mirkgard.blogspot.com/
« Reply #145 on: 09 Jan 2005, 12:35 »

Quote from: Malphas
Anorexia Nervosa.  By taking one look at them, you'll understand why they don't get much respect.  However, I love their stuff.

Goign back quite a bit, but I must say that Anorexia Nervosa is very good indeed. I think it's the fact they sing in French that makes it so good. They do indeed look very silly though. The only bands I can think of with more amusing photos are Theatres Des Vampires, Sopor Aeternus and Dimmu Borgir (when they had that guy in the top hat and opera cloak).

Also, Hreidmarrs other project apart from AN, Count Nosferatu Kommando, is  brilliant as well. Sort of wierd industrial/medieval/black metal stuff. You could almost dance to it.

As for me. Cradle of Filth. Don't care how much they sold out, the first three cds (including V Empire) were excellent, and they really didn't become BAD until Damnation and a Day. Also, Zombina and the Skeletones are criminally under-rated (They're utterly hilarious imo) as are Inkubus Sukkubus, pretty much the only decent proper goth rock band still around nowadays.

Skyclad (In my opinion the best and most original British band of the nineties in any genre) also deserve some credit on home soil. They made the top 40 in Greece once I think (About the time Martin Walkyier stopped writing songs about being on the dole I suspect).
[22:25] Dovey: i don't get sigquoted much
[22:26] Dovey: like, maybe, 4 or 5 times that i know of?
[22:26] Dovey: and at least one of those was a blatant ploy at getting sigquoted

http://panzerdivisio
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up