Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 06 Apr 2020, 15:12
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jazzerific  (Read 8525 times)

ForteBass

• Asleep in the boner patch
Jazzerific
« on: 22 Dec 2004, 16:16 »

So, since a lot of people seem to like Jazz around here, I figure we could all post about our favorite jazz musicians or songs, and well.. talk about them!

Artist: McCoy Tyner - A killer Piano player with a huge emphasis on the tremolo!

Song -  Aper├žu by Chris Parker. It's just funtastic Fusion piece.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

happybirthdaygelatin

• Bling blang blong blung
Jazzerific
« Reply #1 on: 22 Dec 2004, 16:37 »

i love jazz but am woefully ignorant of alot of good jazz.  so i'm going to love this thread.

devils_daughter

Jazzerific
« Reply #2 on: 22 Dec 2004, 16:49 »

The only jazz I know is the stuff my old singing teacher made me do. I loved it though, but I never got to get very deep into it as I had to finish my singing tuition when I finsihed school so I haven't sung for almost three years now

arkturus

Jazzerific
« Reply #3 on: 22 Dec 2004, 17:44 »

Fusion:
I heart Jaco Pastorius, Weather Report, and the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Any other jazz:
I heart ...uhh...Chick Corea.

ForteBass

Jazzerific
« Reply #4 on: 22 Dec 2004, 18:01 »

Chick Corea has some awesome shit. Ever hear his song Spain?
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Tago Mago

• Obscure cultural reference
Jazzerific
« Reply #5 on: 22 Dec 2004, 20:29 »

I like Tyner. His playing on Coltrane's Ascension is great.

My favourite musician at the moment is Albert Ayler, Spiritual Unity in particular. I also love Miles Davis, Ornette Coleman, Cecil Taylor, Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus, and some vocalists like Billie Holiday.

signature

Jazzerific
« Reply #6 on: 22 Dec 2004, 22:29 »

oh, damn dogg

ALBERT AYLER
\

also

GRANT GREEN

captainawesome

Jazzerific
« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2004, 07:50 »

i only own a couple John Coltrane albums...

any suggestions on other great jazz musicians?  i'm interested.

freestyle trombonist

Jazzerific
« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2004, 09:49 »

dexter gordon, man.  he's one of trane's biggest influences.  he's so melodic!  
j.j. johnson.  THE trombonist!  j.j. is so deep.  so clean and smooth and tight and melodic, he SINGS through the horn.  

bill evans is my favorite piano player.  he's the most expressive pianist i've ever heard.

ForteBass

Jazzerific
« Reply #9 on: 23 Dec 2004, 13:51 »

Keith Jarrett's more expressive, but only because the sicko moans while he plays. (He's still a good player, though.)
Also, as far as great Fusion style Jazz goes, it's hard to find but Chris Parker's "The Thing Is..." has some awesome stuff on it.

Also try and find a version of "And I mEan You" done by Tony Williams and McCoy Tyner. Just piano and drums, but DAMN is it ever hot.

jhum101

Jazzerific
« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2004, 14:28 »

The coolest jazz i have listened to in a while has been Roy Hargrove's album "The RH Factor - Hard Groove". Roy is a superb trumpet player, who uses a lot of interesting techniques on his album, like hooking up an electric mute to a guitar amp, and adding distortion, and other such cool effects. He also has many good guests on his album doing a bit of the whole hip-hop thing, such as Q-Tip (of A Tribe Called Quest fame) and Common Sense (A terrific M.C., one of my favorites). If you are interested in the whole modern jazz mixing with hip-hop stuff at all, I would definitely recommend checking it out.

ForteBass

Jazzerific
« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2004, 14:40 »

Actually the hip-hop Jazz grooves can be really sweet shit. Fusion is still my passion in jazz, but the hip-hop stuff has some nice flow to it.

arkturus

Jazzerific
« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2004, 23:15 »

Quote from: ForteBass
Chick Corea has some awesome shit. Ever hear his song Spain?

Spain is only one of the best jazz songs of all frkn time!

*claps along to the chorus*

You should hear his live album with Bobby McFerrin. It's entertaining and mindblowing.

brokenbeat

Jazzerific
« Reply #13 on: 05 Jan 2005, 16:57 »

i don't usually listen to jazz but i like bands influenced by it.

don caballero.
sweep the leg johnny.
chicago underground trio.

etc.

try it.

ForteBass

Jazzerific
« Reply #14 on: 05 Jan 2005, 17:14 »

pssssht. The real deal is better. The Jazz idiom gave us so much and gets no respect. Hooligans

El Opium

Jazzerific
« Reply #15 on: 05 Jan 2005, 19:53 »

Nearest I have to is a record by Antennas Erupt (2 alto sax,cello,drums) who get described as free jazz related. I also kinda like the Flying Luttenbachers who started as jazz but kinda turned into all out sonic death, though I've no records by em. I do need to end my ignorance and try more jazz though. What do you reccomend for someone who oftentimes likes his music to flatten things? Some people have said Sun Ra is a good starting point.

Tago Mago

• Obscure cultural reference
Jazzerific
« Reply #16 on: 06 Jan 2005, 12:00 »

If you're approaching jazz through rock, some early electric Miles Davis like In a Silent Way would probably suit you well. It's an absolutely beautiful album which serves as a good introduction to his later work while retaining the soulfulness of his post-bop music.

ForteBass

Jazzerific
« Reply #17 on: 06 Jan 2005, 14:04 »

It also provides a nice introduction into other forms of Jazz, like Straight-Ahead and Latin Jazz Fusion. Miles davis is basically the ultimate doorway into most Jazz.
Pages: [1]   Go Up