Fun Stuff > ENJOY

Dune: Book, Movie, Miniseries.

(1/20) > >>

LeeC:
Dune.  Frank Herbert inspired George Lucas's Star Wars, Games Workshop's Warhammer 40,000, as well as other scifi and fantasy stories with his novel about a Duke's son on a vital desert planet.

I remember being a little boy back in the 90s and seeing the cover art for the movie in blockbuster and wanted to see it but never got a chance to.  While staying at my sister's place for a week, her and her husband put in their DVD of the miniseries and had me watch a chapter a day for 3 days.  I was just amazed and sucked in by the end of the first of 3 movie chapters.  by the end of the third day I was mystified by this unique universe.  After watching the miniseries in I then picked up the movie to see how it is.  After they crash the thopter I just have to turn it off.  I just couldn't get into it.  The characters and cinematography was just too weird.  I introduced Dr. Fiancée to Dune about a year ago by watching the mini series.  She just loved it!  When we finished, BBC just so happened to be showing the movie the very next morning.  We caught it at the beginning, but again by the time of the thopter crash we were just sick of it.  Even with Picard there it was just unbearable.  I finally got around to reading the book last summer and thought it was amazing and the miniseries was quite close to the source material.

I do know that the movie has a cult following.  The Nostalgic Chick did a review of it back in 2010 or so.  She voiced her opinion, largely negative, and received a huge backlash from the movie fans.  So bad that she removed the video and put up a new video apologizing.  When I try to search the internet for gifs or pictures of the Dune miniseries, they are so few and even if I type "miniseries" I am still flooded with movie gifs and pictures.  It has lead me to believe that most people prefer the movie over the miniseries, and perhaps I am just in the minority.  I posted an "unpopular opinion puffin" on imgur saying I prefer the miniseries over the movie and was surprised that it was not an unpopular opinion at all. 

One of these days I would love to try to give the movie another chance and then perhaps make a youtube video comparing the movie with the miniseries.  I was shocked to see that there isn't any already!  I would talk about who has the better costumes, character portrayals, overarching story, special effects, etc.  Still trying to figure out how I want to do this but wouldn't mind getting some outside input here on their thoughts of all 3 depictions of Dune.

Long story short what is your opinion on the book, the movie, and the miniseries of the beloved universe of Dune?

Neko_Ali:
The books are awesome, of course. They are the source of the whole thing, and they can and do go into much greater detail than movies of mini series can. I can't think of any sort of adaption where the book wasn't the better version.

The movie is where I and I think a lot of people started with Dune. Being the first, it tends to be the base line that people judge everything else from. Especially for the time it came out it was quite the awesome movie, full of some of the best things that make sci fi movies good. The actors and actresses were all great, the costuming and sets were fantastic. It does veer pretty far from the book at a number of points. But I honestly don't mind that so much. I looked on it as an alternate concept of some of the things. And others were just streamlined to fit into an already huge movie.

The mini series I thought was great, because it stuck closer to the book. It had more focus on the political aspects of the universe than the movie did. Being a mini series they could take that. I thought the costume design was excellent, but not as striking as in the movie. The action sequences I felt much the same about. However, I much preferred the actors of the movie over the series. The acting in the series was just a lot flatter to me. Nothing like Sting chewing up the scenes as Feyd. The casting of Paul in particular I didn't much like.

In the end, mostly I think it's a matter of what version you were exposed to first. More people are more fond of the movie because it came out much earlier than the series.

celticgeek:
I read the book, more or less when it first came out.  I also enjoyed the movie, despite the liberties taken with the book.

I have not seen the series, but I am planning to do so at some point.

While on the subject of the movie, I enjoyed reading this account of the making of Dune.

Kugai:
The Books are one of the classics of Science Fiction and it's always great to drag them out every so often and read through them.  I've not yet read any of the books that have been written by his son, but I do plan to.

The Movie ........ I'm in two minds about.  Granted, it was a serious attempt to film a book that, up until that time, had been considered unfilmable (much as Tolkiens books were once considered).  It's flawed, and at times cringe worthy, but I have to give them marks for the attempt even though I'm not a big fan of it.

The Mini-series was, IMHO, a better attempt to follow the books as closely as possible.  It too has it's flaws, but is a much better attempt than the Movie.  I enjoyed it when I first saw it much more then the Movie, and if there ever is a firther attempt to film the Dune books again, I think that the Mini-series would be a better comparison to go from than the Movie.

LeeC:

--- Quote from: celticgeek on 01 May 2015, 13:35 ---I have not seen the series, but I am planning to do so at some point.

--- End quote ---

*cough* part 1 *cough*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version