THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 20:06
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

A wild Sam appears!

Momo uses Pokemon! It's super effective!
- 9 (19.1%)
Faye uses welding and sobriety! It's super effective!
- 9 (19.1%)
Marten uses big-brother advice! It...kinda works!
- 7 (14.9%)
Emily uses frogs! It's super effective!
- 7 (14.9%)
Claire uses books! It's super ineffective!
- 7 (14.9%)
Veronica uses stern parental discipline and threats of withheld flower-girl status at potential upcoming wedding! But, it failed!
- 4 (8.5%)
Delilah uses one-with-nature Mother Earth hippie powers! It's super effective and totally unwelcome!
- 4 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: 08 May 2015, 01:05

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2952-2956 (4-8 May 2015)  (Read 39015 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
Re: WCDT 2952-2956 (4-8 May 2015)
« Reply #250 on: 08 May 2015, 12:20 »

My job isn't quite as shitty, but...yeah.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #251 on: 08 May 2015, 13:30 »

http://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2284

I miss that Emily. she was a bit out there, but she also gave off a very chill vibe. I feel that has gone away and she seems hyper  and manic.

Maybe she has some sort of manic/depressive disorder? I guess she could also have been hiding her manic tendencies when around people she wasn't comfortable with.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #252 on: 08 May 2015, 13:42 »

I don't think Emily's ever hidden anything in her life.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #253 on: 08 May 2015, 15:32 »

I did always May's situation was a bit incongruous with the idea that AIs can be whatever they choose to be along with the idea that you have to spend thousands of dollars on a more humanoid chassis. I thought it was a more ideal existence, but as things go on it seems just as bound to capitalism as regular human lives. An AI that wants to just be a toaster can do that because there's toasters everywhere, but if one wants to be a space station* or a fighter jet, what barriers do they face?
Essentially, this is no different from the situation for humans. It is relatively easy to get a mundane job that is the human equivalent of being a toaster, but becoming the controlling intelligence for any aircraft is difficult and expensive*, and becoming a fighter-pilot even more so. For one thing, only national governments offer the opportunity to fly fighters, and there are a limited number of cockpits to go round.

Why does Momo have a seam at the base of her neck, where her body would not flex much at all, but none at her joints where her skin would have to stretch and flex much more? My head-canon is that the body-skins are more standardised than the head masks, since faces are so critical to recognition by humans.

*I have worked with at least two people who pretty much bankrupted themselves pursuing the dream of becoming airline pilots.
« Last Edit: 08 May 2015, 15:38 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #254 on: 08 May 2015, 15:44 »

I'm wondering if that might actually be the 'Neckline' of her Body Skin Akima.

It's been pretty much established that her head and face are as you see them with or without the Body Skin, so i'm wondering if the actual 'Skin' is a 'Catsuit' type covering over the rest of her body and that's actually the neckline.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #255 on: 08 May 2015, 18:39 »

Then there is #2333, where Jeph's comment is "OH GOD WHY WOULD SHE HAVE ARTICULATION SEAMS ON HER BOOBS" Because breast missiles? (Go Ngai has a -lot- to answer for...)

I am really enjoying this week's strips BTW. We finally get a glimpse of Momo's room, where she has a cute decoration over the bed. I expect we'll get to see more later.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #256 on: 08 May 2015, 18:47 »

It's been pretty much established that her head and face are as you see them with or without the Body Skin, so i'm wondering if the actual 'Skin' is a 'Catsuit' type covering over the rest of her body and that's actually the neckline.

Interestingly enough, the neck line that Akima was referring to wasn't there originally, but she did have seams at her shoulders: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2028
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #257 on: 08 May 2015, 18:55 »

I think that Momo is right to use the word 'judgemental'. May has many negative qualities but she also has many positive ones and, bless her, does genuinely seem to want to reach out to Momo and be her friend. Momo, unfortunately, comes to the table with a set of very condescending and self-righteous prejudgements about May, not automatically justifiable ones either, which creates this wall between them.

On the flip side, when you consider the relationships with their respective humans, May is to Momo a sort of hyper-embarrassing step-sister from the wrong side of the tracks. She didn't ask to have to learn to integrate May into her life but Dale's relationship with Marigold makes it unavoidable. I think that she makes Momo (who goes perhaps to ridiculous lengths to be the 'perfect Robo Companion') nervous and hyper-aware of her own negative qualities including short temper and violent streak.

FWIW, I entirely agree with May's tactics. There are some things that should not occur in public or semi-public spaces and that is one of them. Being doused with cold water is a scientifically-validated negative reinforcement technique for dealing with these.

May has good qualities indeed! She is ambitious, candid, and not afraid to take risks.

BTW, Coffee of Doom has a Customer Appreciation hose too. Faye talks about getting one in an early strip. In #2244 she threatens Clinton with it.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #258 on: 08 May 2015, 20:20 »

Interestingly enough, the neck line that Akima was referring to wasn't there originally, but she did have seams at her shoulders: http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2028

That's the one where she had to take a shower and put her Body Skin through the Washing Machine while she did so, so that expllains her appearance in that Comic.
James The Kugai 

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #259 on: 08 May 2015, 20:42 »

Actually, Marigold pointed out that she could put her covering in the dishwasher, but Momo expressed extreme preference for just taking a shower.

EDIT: Here.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #260 on: 08 May 2015, 22:48 »

Still, there is the possibility of her having removed it so she could clean herself under the 'Skin' and hang the thing up to dry properly - I can't see her wanting to stuff it in the Dryer either.
James The Kugai 

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #261 on: 08 May 2015, 22:50 »

Oh, of course. But judging from the strip, she seems to prefer a shower when she can get away with it  :-P

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #262 on: 08 May 2015, 23:37 »

The AIs with the most anthromorphic chassis seem to prefer to do things the 'human way', don't they? Is it a sense of social inferiority, a subconscious desire to not be different or is it just easier?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #263 on: 09 May 2015, 00:22 »

A way of demanding equal rights by demanding equal dignity?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TinPenguin

• Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #264 on: 09 May 2015, 00:52 »

Same deal as gay atheists wanting the right to marry in a church.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #265 on: 09 May 2015, 10:27 »

Has this ever actually happened? All the same-sex marriages I've ever heard of were secular. To the extent any were religious, it would be in a gay-friendly church. "Churches being forced to perform same-sex marriages" is a myth.
« Last Edit: 09 May 2015, 11:11 by jheartney »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #266 on: 09 May 2015, 12:51 »

What would you prefer, if you had the choice? Especially if people like you had a record of being treated like objects to be put in the dishwasher?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

moriastar

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #267 on: 09 May 2015, 17:48 »

I come out of lurking to say two things.

1. I would not be surprised if Momo does not want to use the dishwasher for more sanitary reasons. I mean... what if food particles got stuck inside the suit. Its bad enough when the plasticware flips over and gets food guns stuck inside, but inside your skin? Bleh!

2. In my fan head cannon the Gold robot is a mom's companion and was before she even got married. He is also the founder of the group. It beats babysitting. Also, before anyone accuses me, I fess up to being a mom and would totally want him in my house with my kid.

Thank you. I will return to lurking for now unless someone drags me out.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #268 on: 09 May 2015, 18:40 »

Thank you. I will return to lurking for now unless someone drags me out.

Consider yourself, if not exactly dragged, at least tugged mildly. That was a good comment.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB
« Reply #269 on: 09 May 2015, 18:55 »

If putting on your outer layer after cleaning it is anything like using a blanket or comforter out of the dryer, I'd be all over it.

I kinda reject the idea that the more human action is the more dignified action in general. If Momo prefers to have a shower, she should go ahead by all means, but if someone wanted to do something else they shouldn't be made to feel lesser, or feel like they contributing to others having an objectifying view of AI. If Clinton's exposed joints issue is the same for other robots, Momo is the only member of her support group who could even have a shower without having to fix issues afterwards.

Assuming they have the means to make the choice, I figure choosing an body like Momo's comes from a deep appreciation of the aesthetics of human life. And, at least in Momo's case, I believe the desire to do stuff in a human way also comes from that appreciation.

amykathleen

• Plantmonster
« Reply #270 on: 09 May 2015, 20:43 »

I think that Momo can't have taken a shower while her outer covering was in the dishwasher.  During the Emily's-lake-house-party arc (I don't feel like finding the specific strip), Clinton expressed jealousy that Momo was waterproof, and she said that if he used the recommended covering for his hand, then it would be waterproof too.  So I think if Momo took off her covering, she wouldn't be waterproof anymore and therefore couldn't take a shower.  I've also always thought the reason that Momo has fewer visible robotty joints than the other robots in humanoid chassises (is that plural correct? it looks strange) was just because her chassis is so high-end.  My guess is the more you pay, the more human you can look.  As for the change in location of Momo's particular joints... maybe Jeph just changed his mind?  He's pretty fond of changing his mind, you guys.  (Not a complaint, a statement of fact.)  Her hair is also a lot shorter than it was when she first got the new chassis, and since that was a gradual change I suspect that that was Jeph changing his mind as well.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #271 on: 09 May 2015, 21:07 »

IIRC, "chassis" in the singular and plural are spelt the same, but generally pronounced slightly differently.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #272 on: 10 May 2015, 01:40 »

2. In my fan head cannon the Gold robot is a mom's companion and was before she even got married. He is also the founder of the group. It beats babysitting. Also, before anyone accuses me, I fess up to being a mom and would totally want him in my house with my kid.

For some reason, that reminds me of Robbie.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #273 on: 10 May 2015, 04:57 »

FWIW, I think that Momo, on a certain subconscious level, wants to be human (or at least to be considered as human as any other human-looking intelligent being) and this tends to inform all of her choices.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #274 on: 10 May 2015, 05:43 »

I think she sees humans as decent - though not perfect - role models. She rather likes them for the way many of them have acted towards people like her.

I feel the same way.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #275 on: 10 May 2015, 07:27 »

I think she sees humans as decent - though not perfect - role models. She rather likes them for the way many of them have acted towards people like her.
I feel the same way.

Momo's chassis has the ability to shed tears. Either her artificial eyes are like organic ones (bathed in liquid and needing lubrication through a blink reflex) or the ability to cry is an add-on, complete with water reservoirs. Plus whatever the mechanics of her face are, they must be water-resistant. {/geek}

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #276 on: 10 May 2015, 09:57 »

Has this ever actually happened? All the same-sex marriages I've ever heard of were secular. To the extent any were religious, it would be in a gay-friendly church. "Churches being forced to perform same-sex marriages" is a myth.

Plenty of Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ churches have performed same-sex marriages in jurisdictions where it's legal. I believe some Episcopal churches do them too, and possibly a couple of other denominations. Not because they were forced to (nobody's actually trying to do that) but because they believe it's the right thing to do.

And the UUs will even accomodate atheist marriages.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #277 on: 10 May 2015, 17:39 »

Momo's chassis has the ability to shed tears. Either her artificial eyes are like organic ones (bathed in liquid and needing lubrication through a blink reflex) or the ability to cry is an add-on, complete with water reservoirs. Plus whatever the mechanics of her face are, they must be water-resistant. {/geek}

I believe that Pintsize also has shed… well, caustic fluid from his optical sensors when trying to manipulate someone.
« Last Edit: 10 May 2015, 18:48 by hedgie »

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #278 on: 10 May 2015, 17:45 »

From his reaction, I don't think he was expecting that to happen.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #279 on: 10 May 2015, 18:22 »

Plenty of Unitarian Universalist and United Church of Christ churches have performed same-sex marriages in jurisdictions where it's legal. I believe some Episcopal churches do them too, and possibly a couple of other denominations. Not because they were forced to (nobody's actually trying to do that) but because they believe it's the right thing to do.

The UCC, to their credit, filed suit in North Carolina because the state's gay marriage ban impinged on their freedom of religion. The end result was NC's ban on gay marriage being ruled unconstitutional.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Half Empty Coffee Cup

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #280 on: 10 May 2015, 18:24 »

The UCC, to their credit, filed suit in North Carolina because the state's gay marriage ban impinged on their freedom of religion. The end result was NC's ban on gay marriage being ruled unconstitutional.

I've always been a fan of that legal logic. Just... take the other side's argument and turn it on its head. Beautiful.
Mistakes, ahoy!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up