THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 02:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

A wild Sam appears!

Momo uses Pokemon! It's super effective!
- 9 (19.1%)
Faye uses welding and sobriety! It's super effective!
- 9 (19.1%)
Marten uses big-brother advice! It...kinda works!
- 7 (14.9%)
Emily uses frogs! It's super effective!
- 7 (14.9%)
Claire uses books! It's super ineffective!
- 7 (14.9%)
Veronica uses stern parental discipline and threats of withheld flower-girl status at potential upcoming wedding! But, it failed!
- 4 (8.5%)
Delilah uses one-with-nature Mother Earth hippie powers! It's super effective and totally unwelcome!
- 4 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Voting closed: 08 May 2015, 01:05

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2952-2956 (4-8 May 2015)  (Read 38886 times)

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
Re: WCDT 2952-2956 (4-8 May 2015)
« Reply #50 on: 04 May 2015, 14:33 »

Instead of retconning it out, could we assume it was her not thinking particularly hard because she was so excited?  Like kids begging to get a puppy who make all kinds of promises that Mom(s) and/or Dad(s) know won't be kept?

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #51 on: 04 May 2015, 15:05 »

Hmmmmm

Could Momo become the QI equivalent of Data with two probable exceptions

1) She already has the capacity for Emotions
2) She's not going to die blowing up a Reman Warship - or at all.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #52 on: 04 May 2015, 17:02 »

Not needing sleep doesn't mean never choosing to.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #53 on: 04 May 2015, 17:07 »

Hmmmmm

Could Momo become the QI equivalent of Data with two probable exceptions

1) She already has the capacity for Emotions
2) She's not going to die blowing up a Reman Warship - or at all.

She is also unlikely to have an evil twin sister.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #54 on: 04 May 2015, 17:29 »

Does "Sony KawaiiPC etc." describe the first chassis or the AI called Momo?  Here, she describes herself as "being" the first, and "rehoused" in the Idoru etc., making that a description of the second chassis.
... Perhaps she just needs sleep more than she realizes.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #55 on: 04 May 2015, 17:45 »

Does "Sony KawaiiPC etc." describe the first chassis or the AI called Momo?  Here, she describes herself as "being" the first, and "rehoused" in the Idoru etc., making that a description of the second chassis.

Her first chassis. I don't think she's grammatically incorrect in her words - when she was in her original chassis, she was Momo, and in the new chassis, she's still Momo. Perhaps the distinction is that she came into being in the Sony KawaiiPC, but she will be Momo whether she's in that chassis, or that of a toaster.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #56 on: 04 May 2015, 18:05 »

It may be a clue to AI psychology that "I am" is how they refer to their current body. That means it's more a matter of identity to them than, say, a change of clothes is to us.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #57 on: 04 May 2015, 18:08 »

Office romance SCANDAL in panel 2.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #58 on: 04 May 2015, 18:11 »

Is Momo using her robot senses to monitor Marten's heartbeat, or is his heart actually visibly beating beneath several layers of clothing and tissue?  If the latter, Marten needs to see a cardiologist STAT.

You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #59 on: 04 May 2015, 18:19 »

His heart grew three sizes that day.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

amykathleen

• Plantmonster
« Reply #60 on: 04 May 2015, 18:26 »

I thought the reason she mentioned both was because the hardware she's running on might make have an impact her personality and thus her self.  We saw in a comic a long time ago (I don't want to find it) a time when Hannelore gave Pintsize extra RAM, and he becomes (even more of) a nightmare until Marten thumps him on the head.  Then Hannelore mentioned that Winslow's personality is also affected by having extra RAM.  So when Momo upgraded from the KawaiiPC to the Idoru, she is still Momo, she still has the same sense of self, but she's running on new, presumably more advanced hardware.  Thus, both the KawaiiPC chassis and the Idoru chassis would be relevant to how she defines herself.
Also, she describes herself as being *formerly* a KawaiiPC, rehoused in an Idoru.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #61 on: 04 May 2015, 18:27 »

His heart grew three sizes that day.

That's not the only thing that

Yeah, I'll just let myself out.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #62 on: 04 May 2015, 18:45 »

If this really is a look into Momo's everyday life, then it would seem that A) Tai really is high off her ass most of the time and B) Marten and Claire would be really obnoxious to work with now that they've gotten together. Not only is it highly unprofessional, but it also makes some people -really- uncomfortable - myself especially. I hate PDAs with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.

ASB84

« Reply #63 on: 04 May 2015, 18:48 »

Is it just me, or have Marigold and Dale pretty much turned into a one-trick (fuck)pony at this point?

I'm with you there. It makes sense given the context of their relationship and previous inexperience, but I feel there's a bit of Flanderization going on with them and a few other characters at the moment.

If this really is a look into Momo's everyday life, then it would seem that A) Tai really is high off her ass most of the time and B) Marten and Claire would be really obnoxious to work with now that they've gotten together. Not only is it highly unprofessional, but it also makes some people -really- uncomfortable - myself especially. I hate PDAs with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.

With you there, too.

Aziraphale

• Duck attack survivor
  • Extra Medium
    • The First 10,000
« Reply #64 on: 04 May 2015, 18:52 »

PDA's aren't terrible if they're not over-the-top. That said, WDA's are over-the-top more or less by definition.

Maybe that isn't Marten's heart. It almost looks like some kind of light-up bra.

And speaking of questionable work conduct, the third panel pretty much clinches that Tai spends more time than not tripping balls at work.
May goldfish leave Lincoln Logs in your sock drawer.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #65 on: 04 May 2015, 19:17 »

So Claire's determination to be all business during work hours didn't last.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #66 on: 04 May 2015, 19:32 »

I'm glad to see Jeph now has a way of showing when a character is high.

Anyone else picking up a Data's Day vibe from Momo's narration?

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #67 on: 04 May 2015, 19:42 »

Is Momo using her robot senses to monitor Marten's heartbeat, or is his heart actually visibly beating beneath several layers of clothing and tissue?  If the latter, Marten needs to see a cardiologist STAT.

She sees the love...and that means she's going to kill him.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #68 on: 04 May 2015, 19:57 »

WRT Marten heartbeat: I think that's unintentional. It looks like the two frames of the animated GIF have slightly modified color tables, and so the pixels on Marten's chest in that frame are vibrating. (Most QC comics are uploaded as PNG, which is a more advanced image format than GIF. GIF maxes out at 256 colors and uses custom color tables to simulate full color. But in order to get the animation effect in the final frame, this one is a GIF, and has a more limited color palette.)

[/graphics geek]

If Tai really is that high at work all the time, she's got a chemical dependency problem. Could be Dora drama telegraphed from the future.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #69 on: 04 May 2015, 20:17 »

I seem to recall that Jeph uses a reduced-color palette on the PNGs for QC to keep the image size down, which negates that particular advantage of PNG (though there other advantages).
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #70 on: 04 May 2015, 21:52 »

I seem to recall that Jeph uses a reduced-color palette on the PNGs for QC to keep the image size down, which negates that particular advantage of PNG (though there other advantages).

You're right. When I checked one of the PNG comics, it came up as a 256 color index image.

Reaver

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #71 on: 04 May 2015, 22:15 »

I'd be more uncomfortable by the person visibly on DRUGS while at work, than the couple that is a little clingy/fluffy.
Bravery is looking down the dark hall, knowing that you are utterly terrified of the dark, and charging in anyways.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #72 on: 04 May 2015, 22:19 »

I'm glad to see Jeph now has a way of showing when a character is high.

A more obvious one, anyway.

I'd be more uncomfortable by the person visibly on DRUGS while at work, than the couple that is a little clingy/fluffy.

I'm weird, I guess. I jsut don't know what it is, but I hate lovey couple in public. Teenagers are the worst.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #73 on: 04 May 2015, 22:40 »

I hate PDAs with the fiery passion of a thousand suns.

I feel that way too but I try to suppress it.  Envy is an ignoble emotion.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

amykathleen

• Plantmonster
« Reply #74 on: 04 May 2015, 22:48 »

I'm weird, I guess. I jsut don't know what it is, but I hate lovey couple in public. Teenagers are the worst.

I'm with you on this one, Omega.  Few things make me feel more ragey than a couple that's all up on each other.  I'm like, "okay, you like each other and you seemingly would like to meld into a single person but LEAVE ME OUT OF IT and if you must do it then do it FAR, FAR AWAY FROM ME because it's GROSS."  Followed by needing to leave the room because ew ew ew ew ewwwwww.  (The drugs, on the other hand, as long as the person is not actively doing drugs in front of me, and as long as their high-ness does not actually endanger my life, and as long as they do not expect me to protect them from themselves while they are high, it would not bother me too much.)

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #75 on: 04 May 2015, 23:00 »

Word of Jeph, somewhere, is that everybody intelligent needs an equivalent of sleep. There's also a comic where Momo says she doesn't need sleep, then there's also one in which she says she can go into sleep mode while sitting up.
Could it be that the smaller chassis didn't need shutting down while the large one does? Though I suspect that the truth is that all AnthroPCs need to be shut down every now and the, but maybe not every day?
So Claire's determination to be all business during work hours didn't last.
Could be that she just let herself go now that she's on her last days and presumably already got her evaluation.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #76 on: 04 May 2015, 23:08 »

Emily, be careful! (Edit-@1:55, not linking there right)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #77 on: 04 May 2015, 23:18 »

I'm wondering if Momo is just a mite bit jealous of Marten and Claire, although her expression seems mostly: "Hey-ho, looks like those two are still at it!" I predicted some time ago that the other characters would start to be a bit annoyed at how visibly infatuated Marten and Claire are with each other. It's sort of a daily dose of thick, Golden Syrup. That said, as PDAs go, that's subtle, mild and just a little cute. Marten has obviously learnt how to kiss Claire's hair without ingesting any of it!

I'm starting to worry about Tai. She's trippin' so high that I'm half expecting her to slide sideways off of her chair onto the floor! I'm sort of worried that she may crash one day.

No, the challenge is mostly Emily who, despite numerous warnings, electric shocks and firm talking-tos from Marten, still treats Momo like a dolly. There is no malice to it; she's just a little girl in a woman's body in lots of areas. Nonetheless, Momo clearly considers it a regular trial. Personally, I'm sure that Emily would be upset and confused if told this. Why wouldn't Momo want to play with her?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #78 on: 04 May 2015, 23:38 »

A day in the life continues

And I see Emily hasn't lost her fascination with Momo.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
« Reply #79 on: 04 May 2015, 23:40 »

Marten has obviously learnt how to kiss Claire's hair without ingesting any of it!

I don't know, looks like he's taking a big old bite.

It's a good thing Claire's hair is made out of cotton candy.

Dark Matter

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #80 on: 04 May 2015, 23:58 »

No, the challenge is mostly Emily who, despite numerous warnings, electric shocks and firm talking-tos from Marten, still treats Momo like a dolly. There is no malice to it; she's just a little girl in a woman's body in lots of areas. Nonetheless, Momo clearly considers it a regular trial. Personally, I'm sure that Emily would be upset and confused if told this. Why wouldn't Momo want to play with her?

I'm wondering, since we seem to be headed into a Mom-centric arc, whether this behavior will continue to be played for laughs, or whether it might actually become a source of conflict within the comic.

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #81 on: 05 May 2015, 00:31 »

She is also unlikely to have an evil twin sister.
Or does she ?
Carpe Diem

QuestionableIntentions

« Reply #82 on: 05 May 2015, 00:38 »

Bad QI - they don't have owners. They have "Human Partners"  aka "bags of mostly water".

Which is why I used quotation marks  :laugh:

Still, what are networked AI's doing online in ther waterbag free sparetime?

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #83 on: 05 May 2015, 01:12 »

Cat videos. Lots of them.

On other news, Momo is slowly descending into madness. I wouldn't be surprised if she had devised a floating machine of death and lasers by friday.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #84 on: 05 May 2015, 01:24 »

Regarding Tai, I'm wondering if we're working towards an incident. Not an OD in the traditional sense. I'm thinking something stupid like Tai trying to cross the road whilst flying high and getting knocked over. Oddly enough, a temporarily housebound or wheelchair-bound Tai, who is very much a Dora's mercy and suddenly has time for her writing and introspection, might make for another interesting 'day in the life' arc.

Marten has obviously learnt how to kiss Claire's hair without ingesting any of it!

He is, isn't he? This is only a guess but, based on the look on Claire's face, this is definitely a clue to Claire's kink! A little tug on the hair in just the right place...?

An AI probably doesn't need to be in the physical presence of one of their peers to talk and interact in other ways.
~~~~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #85 on: 05 May 2015, 02:24 »

Having been the annoying loud fucker in the next room - brah, if you don't tell us, we don't know.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #86 on: 05 May 2015, 03:59 »

All y'all complaining* about Marten and Claire all up in each other's bidness at work?

Remember that once, Marten and Dora slunk off to fuck on the copier. Then found two far more senior staff members who had the same idea.

Point is, this is more cute than outright obnoxious. They're not passionately making out or air-humping - in fact, this is legitimately a gesture I'd see a bored Emily doing with a friend, or tolerant stranger.

The much bigger issues are Tai being present in body but not in mind, and Emily being Emily.

I think the best thing Momo could do with Emily would be to encourage her. No, wait, hear me out! Emily isn't going to stop being a zany child-woman* any time soon, but what she really just wants from Momo, I think, is some playfulness. If Momo gave in and chose how that playfulness manifested, or at least directed it into less aggravating avenues, she'd probably have a far better -- or less-worse -- time of it.

The actual solution should be for Emily to realize she's doing something wrong and to stop doing it. Unfortunately not even repeated tazerings seem to have made her realize that, so we're going with option B here.

*Unfortunately negative word that I don't mean it as a pejorative, promise.
oh god

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #87 on: 05 May 2015, 04:25 »

If this really is a look into Momo's everyday life, then it would seem that A) Tai really is high off her ass most of the time and B) Marten and Claire would be really obnoxious to work with now that they've gotten together.

I don't know. These things happen sometimes, often enough to characterise the people concerned, but are they really like that all day, every day? Nobody would get any work done. I think this is very much Momo's own take on things: noticing humans doing the things that differentiate them from AIs in general and Momo in particular, who takes everything so seriously.

Not only is it highly unprofessional
Claire's already had words with Marten about that. Seems to have been quickly forgotten, doesn't it?
(by both of them, judging from Claire's expression in panel 2, if you can bear to look again...)
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #88 on: 05 May 2015, 04:41 »

Not only is it highly unprofessional

Claire's already had words with Marten about that. Seems to have been quickly forgotten, doesn't it?
(by both of them, judging from Claire's expression in panel 2, if you can bear to look again...)

CLAIRE: "Marten... today is my last day before the Internship ends."

MARTEN: "That it is. What's up?"

CLAIRE: "I suddenly realised that I really, really want to make love to you, here in the library."

MARTEN: "What happened to 'The Library is Serious Business' and 'We must be professionals when we pass through those doors'?"

CLAIRE: "Oh... I figure that I can afford to let my hair down now and again! Especially since my tutor has confirmed she got my evaluation from Tai!"

MARTEN: "Minx!"

MOMO walks by at this point.
~~~~

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #89 on: 05 May 2015, 05:32 »

Man, it's kind of sad - Claire/Marten are, again, disgustingly cute with each other (there's no working in the library, apparently), Tai is so high she doesn't even register Momo and Emily's characterisation is still... flat.

I don't know about you guys, but my university's library is very busy at all hours of the day (night, not so much, but at night there's almost no staff). While I get that 'showing people at work' is boring, as background for Momo's start in the day it could have been enough - there's a reason Tai's employed after she graduated, and Claire at least is passionate about libraries. Emily's a computer science student - why doesn't she get anything to do except bothering Momo? There's enough to do to justify paying Momo to do whatever she does, and Marten, Emily, Claire and Tai do... nothing?

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #90 on: 05 May 2015, 05:57 »

Now we see that when Jeph wants to show that Tai is high, he doesn't do subtle and realistic.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #91 on: 05 May 2015, 06:02 »

But who is the intended audience for Momo's monologue? Could it be . . . a profile on a dating website? Are we about to see a Momo Finds Love arc? Please, please, please let it be true.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #92 on: 05 May 2015, 06:17 »

Man, it's kind of sad - Claire/Marten are, again, disgustingly cute with each other (there's no working in the library, apparently)

Why so stuffy?  As far as we can tell from a frame of a single instant, Claire could be minding the desk, and Marten passing by after putting some stuff on a shelf offscreen (for instance) and giving her a quick peck on the way back past.  No need to assume it's all they're doing.

Tai on the other hand looks as if she's in no state to do anything today...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Endellion

• I pun, therefore I am
« Reply #93 on: 05 May 2015, 06:21 »

If Momo's monologue continues I want May to be included somewhere.
It's a good thing our relationship is based in anger because there's always more fucking kindling.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #94 on: 05 May 2015, 06:57 »

Please no. I can't stand May.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #95 on: 05 May 2015, 07:19 »

June is a much better month.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

aliensporebomb

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #96 on: 05 May 2015, 08:17 »

Regarding Tai, I'm wondering if we're working towards an incident. Not an OD in the traditional sense. I'm thinking something stupid like Tai trying to cross the road whilst flying high and getting knocked over. Oddly enough, a temporarily housebound or wheelchair-bound Tai, who is very much a Dora's mercy and suddenly has time for her writing and introspection, might make for another interesting 'day in the life' arc.

He is, isn't he? This is only a guess but, based on the look on Claire's face, this is definitely a clue to Claire's kink! A little tug on the hair in just the right place...?

An AI probably doesn't need to be in the physical presence of one of their peers to talk and interact in other ways.

Or does Tai get to the point where she recognizes she has a problem - and gets to the point where she realizes it much like Faye has realized she has a problem with a different mood altering substance?

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #97 on: 05 May 2015, 09:01 »

Now we see that when Jeph wants to show that Tai is high, he doesn't do subtle and realistic.

Or he decided that being too subtle means that a lot of people don't pick up on it.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #98 on: 05 May 2015, 09:02 »

Yes, because Marten as a dragon was so subtle :wow:

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #99 on: 05 May 2015, 09:10 »

We've also seen her with bloodshot eyes on far more than one ocassion, with behavior indicative that she's likely not completely sober.

Also, last I knew, weed doesn't cause one to see colors, hallucinations, or tracers, which is what she's assumably seeing there. She dropped LSD before, after all. That's what I'm interpreting panel 3 as. You'll note it's the same effect as when the anthroPCs did their hallucinogenic equivalent way back when.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up