THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 07:44
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Writing for a YouTube video series on biology  (Read 11646 times)

CM_albion

• Emoticontraindication
Writing for a YouTube video series on biology
« on: 07 May 2015, 06:32 »

been mulling over this idea for a while, going off a few ideas and between the encouragement of friends and a few outside factors, I've decided to have a crack at writing/making a series of videos where i look at various species from fantasy, mythology and possibly gaming and working out if they could work as an organism, in terms of the anatomical/physiological structure.

planning to be presenting them as thought experiments rather than concrete facts, and i'm going to be keeping the explanations at "layman's terms" levels to make them more accessible. the wording will reasonably lighthearted in presentation too (for those who've seen it, Extra Credits stuff is a good barometer for the tone i'll be aiming for).  currently going under the working title of "Bio-Logical".

the reason i'm making this post is to pick some brains; would people be interested in seeing a series like this, what kind of thing you'd like to see in it, and general critique of the ideas and concept. working on the first couple of scripts at the moment, i'll post one up here when it's finished to my satisfaction.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: Writing for a YouTube video series on biology
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2015, 06:45 »

I'd be into that. Fantasy biology is an extremely underutilised topic and normally the physiological functions of extraordinary fantasy beasts are just handwaved away as magical powers of some description. The last time I saw something to that effect was in the webcomic Platinum Black, but that one's only just starting so that might be further explored in the future.

Questions like 'could this animal conceivably exist' and 'what would its ecosystem look like' are among the most interesting ones to me, and maybe if you're up to it 'how could this have evolved'. Looking forward to see what you come up with.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2015, 09:57 »

I'd watch it, definitely.

You might get some ideas/help from here as well, particularly in the science-based / evolution / creature design tags.

Some of my favourites:
Evolution of a creature that uses light as a weapon
How would a reflecting-oven-jay evolve?
Is a reflecting-oven-jay actually feasible?

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2015, 10:01 »

I don't think I'd watch it myself, but I've never really heard anything like it and it sounds like it could get a great following.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

CM_albion

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2015, 14:20 »

I'd watch it, definitely.

You might get some ideas/help from here as well, particularly in the science-based / evolution / creature design tags.

Some of my favourites:
Evolution of a creature that uses light as a weapon
How would a reflecting-oven-jay evolve?
Is a reflecting-oven-jay actually feasible?

thats some fantastic stuff, thanks Pilchard.

the first script i'm working on is a reasonably simple creature; The Scandinavian Kraken
Pages: [1]   Go Up