THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:19
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Games you'd like to see (sequels, adaptations or concepts)  (Read 11975 times)

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page

Just recently I was thinking about Red Dead Redemption and GTA, and it occured to me how cool it would be with other GTA-likes set in different settings (Like RDR is GTA, but in the wild west). And in turn I figured this could make for an interesting little thread?!  :mrgreen:

How awesome wouldn't it be with a Rockstar sandbox game, all with the street level story, moral choices, vehicle theft, exploration and so on, but set in a futuristic setting. Think Mass Effect, but less "saving the galaxy" and more "get fat stacks to buy alien hookers and flying cars". I'd play that!
I dunno..

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker

I'd like some kind of Second Life in a Medieval setting. Building your Life as a farmer or blacksmith. That'd be fun.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Fallout 4? Preferably with a newer and less buggy engine?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

But I love watching people endlessly humping a door long after death.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

eh, I'm more concerned with the frequent crashes and freezes. I'm playing through New Vegas again any my play sessions always end after I get sick of having to restart after the fourth or fifth crash.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

1. Are you on PS3 per chance?
2. Do you have a shitload of save files? Deleting my old save files has stopped me from crashing for months.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

A remake or sequel to Gregory Horror Show!! I didn't know I wanted that so bad till just now.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

2. Do you have a shitload of save files? Deleting my old save files has stopped me from crashing for months.

No, I'm on PC. And less than 20 save files at this point. I started from a fresh install, plus the official and unofficial patches (to reduce crashing!) and minimal appearance improving mods. Bethesda's code is just notoriously bad about being buggy and crashing a lot. It's pretty much the price of admission for playing their otherwise excellent games.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

From my understanding every fallout game had bugs.  Even the first one.  :-P

Dishonored 2.  Stick of Truth 2. Westeros Total War. Cold War Era spy game.  Better X-Com in 1950s era.
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Edguy

• My facebook page

Dishonored 2.

Man, I never got around to playing Dishonored.. So many things on my list..
I dunno..

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time

Halflife 3 and Portal 3

I want to play Gordon Feeman with a portalgun.  8-)

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Half-portal? It would be kinda rubbish, you'd only have the orange bit.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

I've been wanting for a very long time an arcade racer with like a metric fuckton of tracks. Think something on the lines of Ridge Racer with the track count of NFSU2. And maybe without the city. Yeah.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

maxusy3k

• FIGHT YOU
  • Lurker of Lovecraftian proportion
    • Obligatory Social Networking Page

The other day I was thinking about how a new James Bond game could be really well executed, something along the lines of the new Deus Ex games where augmentation is replaced with Q Branch gadgets.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I want an open world Batman game. More open world than we've already had. Just give me Gotham, like in GTA, have a main quest line but a shitload of side quests. And no, Arkham City doesn't count.

No, I'm on PC. And less than 20 save files at this point. I started from a fresh install, plus the official and unofficial patches (to reduce crashing!) and minimal appearance improving mods. Bethesda's code is just notoriously bad about being buggy and crashing a lot. It's pretty much the price of admission for playing their otherwise excellent games.

Yeah, I knew it was buggy, but I've had way less problems with it than most on my Xbox 360 by just deleting old saves all the time. They are otherwise majestic games though.

mikmaxs

I want Fallout set in the southern end of Downtown Kansas City. Yes, I'm biased from living there, but honestly the landscape seems perfect. There's a river, big buildings, more open areas, an eiffel-sized freestanding TV tower, and a literal underground vault already in place. Since KC is more dense than, say, Las Vegas or Washington, you could actually include nearly all the major buildings, locations, and architecture in a single map without having to cut out big portions, replacing them with rubble.

The environment seems like an easy cinch to adapt into a game.
Don't mind me.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand

That doesn't sound bad.

i wasn't entirely kidding with my last suggestions for Fallout games, including Mumbai or some other *non-American* city.

Also Elder Scrolls: Akavir when?

A few other game ideas I've had kicking around my head for a long time, but the main one I'd like is for Ubisoft et al to go back and unfuck Assassin's Creed.  My shortened explanation is that they mishandled the Desmond/near-future Earth story and content so badly that it's a crying a shame.

mikmaxs

That doesn't sound bad.

i wasn't entirely kidding with my last suggestions for Fallout games, including Mumbai or some other *non-American* city.
I think that'd be really difficult to pull off, since there's very little (If any, I'm not aware of any) Fallout lore for what happened outside of America once the bombs dropped. We know Russia and China were warring, and they probably got nuked as well, (And we can assume most first-world countries were, too,) but they'd still be building up culture from scratch. It might be cool, but the setting (And therefore tone, etc.) would be so vastly different that I'm not sure it would feel like a Fallout game. (Then again, I'm a huge fan of the SPECIAL system and Fallout mechanics as much as I am the lore and setting, so that wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing.)

Now that I think about it, I'd also like to see a remake of Super Mario Sunshine, with all the care and attention it needed. The main platforming mechanics are some of the best I've ever seen in a game, but nearly all of the extra content and a lot of the main content just feels horribly balanced. Not to mention, it has half the number of main levels that Super Mario 64 has. The graphics are great (For their time, at least,) the earlier platforming challenges are great, the Fludd is great... I have absolutely no doubt that with another six months or year of development time, it could easily have been the best Mario game in the series. As it is, it's a decent platformer with shoddy extra content and a lot of broken levels. (Pachinko, anyone?)

Similarly, I'd like to see Wind Waker remade with a few more dungeons and less fetch quests. Wind Waker didn't have near the issues that Sunshine did and it's one of my favorite games in the series (Behind Majora's Mask, though I haven't played all the games so that's not a comprehensive comparison), but I do think that a little more development time could have helped it too.
Don't mind me.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

There is some indication that the rest of the world got blasted as well. If for no other reason no other countries have interacted with North America in the last 200 years. You would think they would either send humanitarian aid or an invasion force. China certainly got blasted by the US nukes. Some NPCs in Fallout 3 at least hint the fact that Europe was in pretty bad shape before and at least shortly after the war. No idea what it could be like now.

Mostly though the Fallout series has been very US centric, with a fair bit of the style influenced by the retro-50s Americana sci fi aesthetic. To realistically set a game in another part of the world would mean drastically changing or dropping that style... At which point would it be all that different from a STALKER game or something else post apocalyptic. For that reason I doubt we'll ever see a Fallout game set outside of North America, if it ever leaves the US.

That said, Massachusetts seems the most likely setting for a potential Fallout 4, if speculation is at all accurate. And I'm happy with that. I want to know more about the Institute.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

Oh hell yes it's unlikely, for all the reasons cited.

still want it though~

p.s. I'm okay with Fallout: New England. Assuming it's significantly identifiable as different than the Capital Wasteland.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Rumors are it was less touched than more centralized areas like DC. And they have a more in the way of order and organization. If it does go that route, I'm expecting things to be even better off than the Mohave was. After all they have enough science and technology there to make androids that are nearly undetectable from humans. Considering that in most parts of the country having a working factory that can turn out anything is a big deal and most people get by by scavenging and repairing broken gear with whatever scrap they can find that would be quite a bit different. It's also supposedly a lot more green.. I would like to see a ruined city that's been overtaken by nature as opposed to just left as a blasted and irradiated crater.

(for full disclosure I don't know if any of this is true. A lot of this info is from supposedly leaked scripts and backed up by apparent trips by Bethesda art teams to the MIT area. For all that's been actually revealed.... it could be nothing at all. They won't even say whether or not they are even planning on a Fallout 4 yet)

mikmaxs

Something I forgot about the Fallout: Kansas City thing. Back in the cold war, KC was listed as the 4th most likely target for a nuking, due to its centralized location and trade importance.
Don't mind me.

Edguy

• My facebook page

Oh, and I'd also love it if there was a Mass Effect game where you played as the Captain of a mercenary vessel. Think Mass Effect meets Firefly, Schlock Mercenary and Cowboy Bebop. Say it starts you out with being an ex military guy that's just bough his own ship to start up as a merc, then you'd go around an recruit a crew and take jobs etc. I think it would be a better fit to the moral decision making of the series.
I dunno..

IDMG

• Curry sauce

A Knights of the Old Republic game that erases Star Wars: Revan and The Old Republic from fucking history.

Edguy

• My facebook page

Don't worry, all the the Star Wars games are erased from canon history :)
I dunno..

ChaoSera

• Scrabble hacker

I really don't see what's wrong with the KotOR Storylines.

Active Madness

• Balloon animal serial killer

Have you tried NVAC?

I couldn't play New Vegas for more than half an hour at a time before I installed NVAC , had about 50 hours of playtime before the next crash afterwards.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/53635/?

Active Madness

For years I wanted another Planescape: Toment game. I'm prepared to give its spiritual successor, Tides of Numenera a go when it comes out. I'm... hopefully optimistic.

It used to be a Fallout sequel, until Fallout 3 came out. I enjoyed it, yet still found it a little bit underwhelming. Then, New Vegas arrived and turned me into a believer.

IDMG

• Curry sauce

I really don't see what's wrong with the KotOR Storylines.

There was nothing wrong with KOTOR1&2.

there was everything wrong with the Revan novel and the MMO's lore.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Have you tried NVAC?

I couldn't play New Vegas for more than half an hour at a time before I installed NVAC , had about 50 hours of playtime before the next crash afterwards.

I had it, but I had put the file in the wrong place. I fixed that and was able to play longer, until I hit the 'out of memory' error. I'll have to download and work with the expanded memory mod.... It would be nice though if the game would you know.. just work out of the box instead of requiring the work of mod makers to get around Betheda's buggy coding.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

In the Bullshit! episode on video games, there's an exchange something like this:

Busybody: "Why do all these games have you pointing a gun at people to kill them?  Why can't it be a magic wand you point at people to heal them?"
Penn: "Well, mainly because that sounds like a really shitty game!"

Thing is, though, soon as I heard that, all I could think was... it doesn't.  Even just taken utterly literally, you go around shooting random sick/injured people with a magic wand, that sounds like the sort of timekiller you might have seen in Newgrounds' heyday.  And there are all sorts of games where you play, or have the option of playing, as some sort of healer or medic.  Those don't really seem to approach what she was getting at, though, since they basically come in one of two flavors: strategy games with resource management, nothing like a "magic wand," and action games where you heal people so they can be better killers, which seems to defeat the purpose, especially since you yourself still see occasional combat in most of them.  What I think might be interesting would be a game in the vein of Elder Scrolls, where you hone your technique in different schools of healing spells as you explore the land, mechanically incapable of doing direct harm and discouraged from doing indirect harm.  You're directed to people who need your help, and it may not always be for the best that you give it, and if you do give it, there may be different ways in which to give it.  To tie this together, the main quest might involve reconciling competing schools and political forces into a the quasi-medieval fantasy equivalent of a bottom-up healthcare system; a possible ending might be that you dedicate the emergent "overguild" (or whatever) to whatever god most closely reflects your actions, and he or she appears and assesses your work based on that deity's values.

Of course, the constant suffering and death in such a game would most likely annoy the above busybody just as much as CoD-style murderfests.  Win-win.

On a related note, that bit from Last Week Tonight, "World of Peacecraft," a game where you do nothing but sit in conference rooms and try to negotiate a treaty that won't do more harm than good - I'd say that sounds like a good idea, but I expect all sorts of games are out that are sort of similar.  It's an aspect of every 4X game, but there the object is ultimately world domination.  It's part of Diplomacy, but again, world domination, and the "gameplay" is mostly a function of the human players.  Does anyone know if there's a dynamic (i.e., more than just a visual novel) diplomacy simulator out there where escalating violence is considered a misstep no matter who "wins"?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

mikmaxs

The problem with any game where you're locked into a single action (Be it healing, combat, speechcraft, etc,) is that it becomes incredibly difficult to craft meaningful challenges or encourage creative decisions. In COD, the challenge comes from testing reaction times and accuracy because the basic mechanic itself (That is, shooting stuff) is incredibly boring without stuff propping it up.

With a hypothetical game where you can only heal, and use an Elder Scrolls type magic system (Or any kind of magic system, really,) is that no matter what the problem is your solution is going to be some variety of 'Heal it with your magic'. While the concept of deciding whom and how to heal and maneuvering groups into running a healthcare system could be interesting, that's not healing, that's speechcraft. If the game is really built around a magic wand that heals people, it's an immensely boring mechanic that really can't be propped up all too much by things that make FPSs or RPGs good. (That is, the timing or strategy.) If it's built around decisions, interactions with people, and puzzle solving then it's just an Elder Scrolls mod with the weapons turned off.

Healing just isn't an interesting game mechanic, because there's not a lot you can do with it from a gameplay standpoint. There's no timing or skill in hitting your target, even if you need to know what you're healing you just use the right spell to heal things, and if you don't want resource management then there'd be no difficulty in healing people. Any mechanics in that game would have to be built around it, rather than working with it. (With combat, your enemies usually try and avoid getting hurt and prevent you from doing what you do, adding challenge. With healing, you'll rarely encounter resistance to what you're doing.)

Of course, I could be wrong, but I cannot think of a single interesting mechanic that could be directly tied to a magic healing wand. I can think of mechanics that could work around it, sure, but nothing that would make using the actual wand particularly interesting.
Don't mind me.

mikmaxs

Have you tried NVAC?

I had it, but I had put the file in the wrong place. I fixed that and was able to play longer, until I hit the 'out of memory' error. I'll have to download and work with the expanded memory mod.... It would be nice though if the game would you know.. just work out of the box instead of requiring the work of mod makers to get around Betheda's buggy coding.
Game works almost flawlessly on my laptop with no mods. I've very occasionally had it freeze while loading the game, but that's about it. (And it didn't happen during actual gameplay, so I didn't mind.) (Oh, and I couldn't find the cook in the basement of the Ultra Lux, but that's the only game-hindering glitch I encountered.)
Don't mind me.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Some more research says it may be the high texture pack that I'm using. Even if I'm only using the 'medium' value pack instead of the largest, some people are dealing with the out of memory error. I'm going to try a 4GB loader program that's been suggested and see if that helps. If not, I'll have to downgrade to the small texture pack and see if that helps. This is all part of the 'working with mods' experience of course. And it is sounding like I shouldn't have laid this one at Bethesa's feet. But they are not blameless either. I've had big crashing problems even with purely vanilla, out of the box (with official patches) versions of Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Skyrim is a much more stable program, thankfully.

Active Madness

Yeah, I've found that out of Beth's games, Skyrim has been far and away the most stable. Morrowind used to be hideously buggy for me back in the day, although I put up with it and loved the pants off it. Oblivion would crap itself and die occasionally, too. Skyrim so far has only crashed on me about three times, out of 40 hours playtime.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.

Things You Didn't Hear At The Olympics
Unlikely Things For A Vet To Say
Things You Wouldn't Hear On A Fitness DVD

Oh, it says "*games* you like to see". Right.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Active Madness

"Oh, you don't *need* to take their temperatures like that, I just like the look on their furry faces"

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O

Yeah, I've found that out of Beth's games, Skyrim has been far and away the most stable. Morrowind used to be hideously buggy for me back in the day, although I put up with it and loved the pants off it. Oblivion would crap itself and die occasionally, too. Skyrim so far has only crashed on me about three times, out of 40 hours playtime.

We put up with the buggieness though because Bethesda does make great games that really draw you into their worlds. If you take any of their games from Oblivion on (where I started my journey with them) and New Vegas (not them, but close enough), I've spent more time in their games than any 5 other single player games, easily. My combined time between Fallout and the Elder Scrolls probably near rivals my time in Warcraft. That's why I would love to see a new Fallout done in the new engine they made for Skyrim, or an improved version. I can't think of any game I would more happily sink that many hours into. And to this day.. I still don't think I've seen everything there is to see in any one of their games. I always seem to find something new.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **

I'd like to see a sequel to Jade Empire. Especially if they fixed the Open Palm/Closed Fist thing so that it actually worked the way the game's lore said it was supposed to, instead of being essentially good vs. evil. And wrote less cringe-worthy dialogue. And ditched the Tho Fan "Old Tongue" that modern systems should render unnecessary. Oh, and used realistic weapon models throughout, instead of the oversized and cartoony ones.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Schmee

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

"Oh, you don't *need* to take their temperatures like that, I just like the look on their furry faces"

Are we gonna have to start up a "Whose post is it anyway?" thread?
Because I think we need to start up a "Whose post is it anyway?" thread.
work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder 
make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better 
do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster 
raise your ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

osaka

• Scrabble hacker

Since I've taken up Street Racing Syndicate, which definitely isn't as bad as it was made to be but isn't a masterpiece either, I've noticed two slight tweaks that should be done:

1.- Bigger city. Their interpretation of LA has a single minute of highway. That's too little. This would also mean more content, which is always welcome.
2.- Better physics. Like, a lot. You can't make a street racing game in which the cars can't go around 90º corners. It's come to a point where you have trouble doing shit with a vehicle that does 0-100 in the time the opponents do 0-60. Also, the Stability Control is full retard and makes it easier to spin out.

If a game was done under the SRS premise but with more racing, better physics and maybe a bit less half-naked females (at least in proportion, there's literally a girl to bone every 3 races), it'd be excellent.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Final Fantasy VII HD remake. I want achievements for all my old PS1 games, darn it.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!

Final Fantasy VII HD remake. I want achievements for all my old PS1 games, darn it.
Wait I thought they did that like a year ago?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/39140/

Or do you mean like a complete graphical revamp?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Yeah, I want built from the ground up again and taking advantage of the improvements in technology, similar to the difference in Resident Evil remaster BUT MORE. Not a fan when HD remakes kind of look like the original was smothered in vaseline to make it look smoother and shinier but no other significant difference.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor

That moment when you're all "Oh the narrator is talking about US"

I dunno, FFVII happened during a magical time for me, not sure I'm game for that ride again.

That said, okay sure, what else has Square et al got going on?
Pages: [1]   Go Up