Comic Discussion > QUESTIONABLE CONTENT

Official Fanfiction Thread

<< < (11/12) > >>

HughYeman:

--- Quote from: shanejayell on 10 Jun 2018, 17:55 ---Cool!

You posted the 'phone' link, here's the regular one.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12964148/1/Dear-Faye

--- End quote ---

Oh yeah... never occurred to me that that might be a problem. Thanks. I modified the op.

HughYeman:

--- Quote from: Carl-E on 10 Jun 2018, 20:34 ---I really liked that.  Describing what one feels is hard enough even when it's not across different plarforms...

And you seem to have captured Bubbles' voice quite well.  Nicely done!

--- End quote ---
High praise indeed! Thank you! If feels almost impossible to really nail Bubbles's voice, but making it sound authentic to her was my first priority.

BenRG:
Fanfiction Hook - The Champions
An idea that has been slowly developing in my mind over the past few days.

What will Roko do now that she has quit being a cop? Well, after a while, she succumbs to May's continual instance that she become a private investigator. This mostly seems to be motivated by May's (and possibly Melon's) romantic TV-influenced view of PIs being the hard-bitten men and women who help those whom the 'system' won't help to find justice and to protect the innocent from The Big Men.

Of course, it isn't anything like that and Roko frankly despairs of the long list of 'I'm sure that my [$significant_other] is cheating on me! Prove it!' cases coming her way. Oh, they pay the bills but it's hardly helping out the poor and downtrodden, is it?

That's when she is asked to do some surveillance and dumpster diving by a android attorney, a female-identifying synthetic named Gooddeed Masque ('Please, call me Goody; I regret choosing that name every day of my life!'). It turns out that Masque and Bigbody are a pair of robot attorneys looking to give legal services to the poor, ethnic minorities and synthetics. They're idealists but Roko can't help but admire those ideals. Besides, having an attorney oversee her work makes it a lot easier to stay on the right side of the law.

About at this time a vigilante known only as the Hellion of Northampton has started beating up gangsters and petty crooks in the poorer areas of town, especially those groups with explicitly bigoted motives. I think that you can see where this going. Along the way, Roko is motivated to actually take action on a militant level against major organised crime and bigotry that the corrupt Northhampton authorities are ignoring. She's clever enough to do it in disguise and the legend of The Avenger, a heavily (if non-lethally)-armed vigilante who side-steps courts and juries by providing a punishment all of her own begins to grow in the area, even as far away as Boston.

Eventually, lots of the other lady synthetics get involved too.

Major Cast:
Gooddeed Masque/Hellion - A female-identifying synthetic attorney-at-law determined to bring the protection of the law to the poor, the minorities and the synthetic. Frustration at the level of official indifference and even hostility from the authorities led her to vigilantism, aided by her chassis's way-over civilian specification sensors and motor systems; she can see in the dark and has sonar/radar of sorts. She can react fast enough to dodge bullets or catch weapons mid-air! Momo suspects that she may have been augmented and programmed with combat software by someone at some point but Goody is very closed about her background so this is mostly a guess;

Foghorn Bigbody - A male-identifying synthetic (maybe looks a bit like Punchbot). He knows the Goody's secrets (she is an old friend) and continually tries to persuade her to stop putting on the mask;

Suzy Hobbes - Goody and Foggy's human PA/receptionist (the firm's 'token meatsack', she jokes - Goody usually tells her off for putting herself down at that point);

Roko Basilisk, P.I./The Avenger - An idealistic soul seeking to make a positive difference to society and Masque and Bigbody's favoured investigator; when she judges the need is there, she slips into her anti-heroic alter-ego, The Avenger. She uses a wide range of non-lethal electromagnetic (tesla rifles, concussion guns and the like) and chemical delivery weapons to tip the balances of force and terror against the guilty;

May/Dragongrrl - It turns out that, as implied by her improvised kata with one of Dale's prop knives, May is very good at oriental martial arts and, after saving Roko's life during one caper, decides to set herself up as a pseudo-ninja. When she isn't violating her parole terms, she is Roko's unofficial partner as certain sorts people are more likely to talk to an ex-con than an alleged ex-cop and gumshoe;

Arthur - Roko's admin guy. He's had enough of being Melon's house-husband and wants a career of his own; surprisingly, is pretty organised.

Momo/Thunderfist - Momo is strictly Roko and May's 'research girl'. Her access to the country's library networks via Smif College is good enough that there is no record that she can't find in time. However, she's a skilled martial artist too (she kept the software that came with her original Sony chassis) and has learned to use her tasers to enhance her attacks and block attacks in turn. As much as she despises violence, she won't let May get hurt. Besides, so many of these people are so... so... mean! She can't let them get away with it!

Bubbles/Steel - Another reluctant recruit who is only really interested in protecting the local community but falls in with the group largely by accident when Roko helps her prove her innocence after she has to use force to protect Faye from a homophobic/synthephobic attack after a date (the cops call her a 'runaway unit' and, until Roko and May dig up the evidence, no-one is willing to believe it was self-defence). She's fantastically tough (functionally bullet-proof) and strong, so she's very much the group's tank. She and Momo have a party-piece where Momo uses her supercharged punch on the palm of Bubbles' hand creating a wide-area EMP and concussion wave  that can clear a whole room of hostiles!

SpookyBot - May or may not be behind Goody's off-the-books modifications as well as May's new chassis (which appears after May gets involved for the first time); what is their agenda?

Beatrice Chatham/The Queen of Crime - The shadowy figure behind the corruption in Massachusetts, or so it seems. Will the team ultimately be the ones to bring her down?

Carl-E:
When I see Suzy Hobbes, all I can think of is...

BenRG:
I freely admit that, when I was sketching out my idea, I thought of 'Hobbes' as a surname and immediately thought of a certain little girl. It just seemed right to me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version