THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:51
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What Horrified Jeph's Girlfriend?

Hanners' skin thingy falling off in the middle of CoD and she displays it to the customers
May's Disgusting Space Ham Boogers
Sven gets pregnant
Tai's idea of 'high fashion'
Marten got a tattoo of some sort that really doesn't work for him
Claire's hair hides a terrible secret!
Other (Explain in post)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2966-2970 (25th to 29th May 2015)  (Read 14445 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: WCDT 2966-2970 (25th to 29th May 2015)
« Reply #50 on: 26 May 2015, 16:37 »

No, he got it back from her after the breakup with Dora.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #51 on: 26 May 2015, 17:27 »

Hanners' characterization feels a bit jarring to me here - she's always had the OCD "quirk" and she's concerned about germs and such, but it feels like fairly large leap to this level of "running around screaming, waving hands in the air like a muppet" hypochondria.  Her attitude is just *bugging* me, but I suppose you can't please all of the fans all of the time.

It's not the first time Hanners has freaked out over something relatively innocuous.

Mlle Germain

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #52 on: 26 May 2015, 17:35 »

Hanners' characterization feels a bit jarring to me here - she's always had the OCD "quirk" and she's concerned about germs and such, but it feels like fairly large leap to this level of "running around screaming, waving hands in the air like a muppet" hypochondria.  Her attitude is just *bugging* me, but I suppose you can't please all of the fans all of the time.
The succesful treatment has obviously done nothing against her anexieties. Her fear of undiscovered illnesses appears weird for someone who doesn´t suffer from hypochondrosis. But to have to life under such fears every day must be terrible.  :-(
I think that hypochondria is anything but weird or unusual and fits very naturally with Hanners' other anxieties which center on the fear of germs and not being in control of her environment. It seems to me that it is a very common form of anxiety which lots of people suffer from to some degree.
I do, though I've never had treatment -- aside from going to the doctor to have stuff checked that was then pronounced harmless or where the cause could not be found. And let me tell you, that usually only reassures me pretty briefly. Like Hanners, I worry a lot that the symptoms (and I have lots of actual symptons which persist for a long time without an obvious cause) come from something bad that the doctor just hasn't thought of.
Whenever I read an article on a rare (or any) medical condition in the news, I make a mental check on whether I have any of the symptoms; and often I do, because there are a lot of very unspecific symptoms, like headaches. Just earlier I had to convince myself that I do not have this really rare type of brain tumor where an almost-embryo with hair and bones grows in your brain (that was on BBC!).

I do not have other anxiety issues or mental illnesses, but I feel very powerless against my body's vulnarability to disease and my own medical inability to detect it (though it's good I didn't choose to become a docter); and I am not the only person I know who has similar issues.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #53 on: 26 May 2015, 20:50 »

Does Hannelore really watch only nature documentaries? What do we know about her TV habits?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #54 on: 26 May 2015, 22:25 »

Absolutely. I don't think most bullfighters would be brave enough to face up to what Hannelore deals with daily.

Agreed.  It's humbling how many people have to play the game of life in Nightmare Mode, and make it look easy in spite of it.

+1 million insightful
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #55 on: 26 May 2015, 23:03 »

*begins humming Adventure Line Theme*
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #56 on: 26 May 2015, 23:04 »

She is her father's daughter.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #57 on: 26 May 2015, 23:29 »

New Comic!
Hanners, my dear? Sometimes, you can think too much about a thing like this. Sometimes, it's better to just think: "That's comforting!" and move on. Of course, she wouldn't be our Hannelore if she didn't worry stuff like this to death, would she? :-D

So, did Hannelore see Dr Ericsson or Dr Kovacz? I'm guessing the latter but that might just be me stereotyping.

Jeph has sort of broken with his new format here with Faye and Hanners' walls of exposition. However, I think that this is the only way he could have made the scene (and the joke) work. An artist needs that sort of flexibility.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #58 on: 27 May 2015, 00:03 »

Actually... I've often wondered the same thing as Hanners myself. But how to design an experiment to investigate it? Maybe one for the massed AIs, that.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #59 on: 27 May 2015, 00:35 »

Whow !

I'm baffled how much Hanners can emulate the ramblings of a physicist, but obviously without actually knowing what she's talking about.
Carpe Diem

rfrank dodelijk

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #60 on: 27 May 2015, 00:37 »

is there a bit of piss taking going on in this strip or are there really people who worry about some unspecified future problem just because they have such cosy lives in the present?
qcworld is sometimes an all together ridiculous place.

very very funny last panel today though.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #61 on: 27 May 2015, 01:16 »

is there a bit of piss taking going on in this strip or are there really people who worry about some unspecified future problem just because they have such cosy lives in the present?
qcworld is sometimes an all together ridiculous place.

very very funny last panel today though.

It isn't 'piss taking'. Hypochondria really does affect some people this way. It isn't 'worrying about some unspecified future problem'. It is being constantly terrified that the slightest ache, pain or twitch is the first symptom of deadly illness.

I know someone with this condition and I have to watch what I say. If I even hint about something medically-related, by the end of the conversation, he'll be sure he has a serious illness simply because he's been thinking too hard about it. It's no different from any other anxiety disorder - it has no real basis in reality but is nonetheless potentially disabling and always very distressing.
~~~~

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #62 on: 27 May 2015, 01:42 »

Why so? Information flow is information flow. Her question is whether Time's arrow is an absolute or statistical property, admitting of local reversal.

It's probably easier to express in equations. To use words lacks rigour. But if the object is to communicate, then equations may not be appropriate, something like Feynmann diagrams in terms of ease of visualisation would be better.

ukrayf

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #63 on: 27 May 2015, 02:23 »

This focus on Hannelore and Faye's friendship has been giving me life.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #64 on: 27 May 2015, 02:52 »

The point about sending good memories forward rather than bringing future worries back to the present is well made, though.  Without that approach, someone like me who has had several potentially fatal illnesses already to prime the worry pump would be a complete wreck.  I just bank the happiness of knowing I survived each time.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #65 on: 27 May 2015, 03:08 »

Global Moderator Comment There may be a little jumbling of conversations above, as I moved the posts on this week's comics across from last week's thread.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #66 on: 27 May 2015, 04:09 »

Actually, I think it's much simpler than that. When you thank past-you for what they did, you're using the present-you memory of past-you, which is technically a present representation with no time travelling involved. In fact, what you think past-you was might not be 100% true, creating the image past-you' which is the one you're thanking and which never existed in the first place.

This might be easier with an optics diagram...
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #67 on: 27 May 2015, 05:50 »

This might be easier with an optics diagram...
Okay, so past-you is the virtual image and present you is the object. Future you is a real image. No matter how much you want to, you cannot strangle a virtual image. Stupid past me. I hate that guy.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #68 on: 27 May 2015, 06:58 »

I know someone with this condition and I have to watch what I say. If I even hint about something medically-related, by the end of the conversation, he'll be sure he has a serious illness simply because he's been thinking too hard about it. It's no different from any other anxiety disorder - it has no real basis in reality but is nonetheless potentially disabling and always very distressing.
Whow. I cannot even truely imagine that.
Carpe Diem

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #69 on: 27 May 2015, 07:13 »

Okay, just a general comment about anxiety disorders: The basis for them is irrational. So anyone saying "that doesn't make any sense" is missing the point. Of course they don't make sense; that's why they are a problem. And no amount of logical argument is going to alleviate them because they are aren't based in any logic to begin with. They grab hold of a person's thought processes and do not let go, and the person suffering from them has no control over this.

"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

drmike

• Emoticontraindication
  • My Seedbox Can Beat Up Your Seedbox
    • Dr. Mike's Steak Dinner
« Reply #70 on: 27 May 2015, 07:35 »

It's not the first time Hanners has freaked out over something relatively innocuous.

Actually that was my first thought too.  Not that she was freaking out but she was pregnant.  And she was producing by budding...

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starfrontiers/images/4/43/Dralasite.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080128211314

:)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #71 on: 27 May 2015, 07:48 »

Okay, just a general comment about anxiety disorders: The basis for them is irrational. So anyone saying "that doesn't make any sense" is missing the point. Of course they don't make sense; that's why they are a problem. And no amount of logical argument is going to alleviate them because they are aren't based in any logic to begin with. They grab hold of a person's thought processes and do not let go, and the person suffering from them has no control over this.

And usually those suffering from anxiety disorders are aware what is freaking them out makes no sense. That doesn't stop the anxiety though. In some people it makes things worse, because they know they are freaking out over something in their head with no basis of reality, so that fact sends them spinning off into another panic attack.

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #72 on: 27 May 2015, 09:51 »

Aaah, thermodynamics and relativity. Always good to keep a worried mind distracted. ;-)

Nonetheless Faye had a good word here. To give her a good reason to think positive, to change her attitude towards her anxieties at least temporarily may not lessen Hanners hypochondrosis in the long run. But it may brighten her mind and mood for the moment and help her to snap out of her current crisis.

Maybe BenRG is right and we see the beginning of a deeper friendship between Hanners and Faye. (No, I´m NOT shipping here!) Faye is kinda cut out of her old life right now, with Angus gone, CoD lost and Marty occupied otherwise. Maybe she will actually set her mind a little bit more to Hanners than in the past. At least the last arcs with the two of them (knitting, support group, bleeding mole) would be a good beginning.

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #73 on: 27 May 2015, 10:14 »

You know, Hannelore's monologue in this strip reminds me so strongly of DSL's QC Captions post from the other day that I wonder if Jeph was inspired by DSL.  :-D
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #74 on: 27 May 2015, 12:36 »

I'm baffled how much Hanners can emulate the ramblings of a physicist, but obviously without actually knowing what she's talking about.
I'm not a physicist but I studied to be one and surprisingly, I understood what was being postulated.
Now where did I put my glasses? "your wearing them" Oh? That explains why I can read this post.

And she was producing by budding...
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/starfrontiers/images/4/43/Dralasite.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080128211314
:)
I loved that game when it was first published
(click to show/hide)
My favorite quote
(click to show/hide)
Don't get your ovipositors in a knot.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Timemaster

• Master of Time
« Reply #75 on: 27 May 2015, 12:41 »

I think Hannelores monologue is kind of Jephs tribute to the late mathematician John Forbes Nash Jr., who died in a car accident four days ago. His life was subject of the 2001 movie "A beautiful Mind". Nash is a fascinating character. I recomment reading his Wikipedia-entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Forbes_Nash,_Jr.
He suffered from paranoid schizophrenia. Not quite OCD or hypochondrosis. But Jephs comment "Hannelore has a beautiful mind" speaks for itself here.

TM

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #76 on: 27 May 2015, 17:36 »

Considering her earliest contacts were with the personnel and staff at her dads Space Station, it doesn't surprise me that she has a basic knowledge of some scientific principles.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #77 on: 27 May 2015, 19:51 »

Time-traveling gratitude...
We're talking about thought experiments now, right?
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Truec

• Furry furrier
« Reply #78 on: 27 May 2015, 20:25 »

But Jephs comment "Hannelore has a beautiful mind" speaks for itself here

Yep.  Clearly this is Jolly Jeph's way of confirming for us that Hannelore has schizophrenia and all the other characters exist only in her mind.  Even when she isn't interacting with them.  Even when she isn't in the same town as they are.

Timemaster

• Master of Time
« Reply #79 on: 27 May 2015, 23:03 »

No news on Hanners and Faye today.
But a nice set of drawings.
And a butt! :-D

The girl in the second line reminds me of Emily.

TM

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #80 on: 27 May 2015, 23:28 »

My phone is refusing to let me see these photos. There is a butt? Okay, now I am angry. CURSE YOU, PHONE
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #81 on: 27 May 2015, 23:38 »

My Android-running tablet was also unable to load today's image on questionablecontent.net but I think it is simply because of the size of the image file. It's big. I had to start up my PC to see the image.

No great spoiler: Jeph explains what it is on his Twitter feed. It's a compilation of all the sketches of the crowds around him at VinCAF last weekend. Like a lot of visual artists, I think he has a compulsion to sketch new faces and new figures on sight.

It looks like he was surrounded by an interesting group of people, all told: individuals, couples and families. A surprisingly high proportion didn't seem to be enjoying themselves (I predict 'I came here for you' to some significant other or child). There are some interesting sartorial choices and even more interesting hairstyles that I think we'll see appear in the strips one day. As for me? I'm fascinated with the trilby-wearing lady member of the press corps. Was that a costume or was that really her professional dress?
~~~~

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #82 on: 28 May 2015, 00:14 »

Could be both.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #83 on: 28 May 2015, 01:51 »

My phone is refusing to let me see these photos. There is a butt? Okay, now I am angry. CURSE YOU, PHONE

Same. :<

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #84 on: 28 May 2015, 02:32 »

This couple made me think of Claire and Marten, just sort-of:

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #85 on: 28 May 2015, 04:40 »

Yelling Bird was there! And Juicy! (13th drawing)
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #86 on: 28 May 2015, 06:02 »

That is a lot of black ink.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #87 on: 28 May 2015, 08:00 »

Okay, just a general comment about anxiety disorders: The basis for them is irrational.
Minor exception - Adjustment Disorder. This one's tricky, as the basis is perfectly rational, only the involuntary reaction to it unhelpful.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
« Reply #88 on: 28 May 2015, 08:29 »

Does anyone recognise yourself in today (Thursday)'s QC?
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Xader

• Plantmonster
« Reply #89 on: 28 May 2015, 09:41 »

Tai was there?

emilygrrl

• Plantmonster
« Reply #90 on: 28 May 2015, 09:52 »

Hmmmm, I wonder if any of my friends show up in those sketches (I'm from Vancouver)?
Quote from: Faye, strip 1462
Aww, it's been FOREVER since I've had to punch you! What a delightful wave of nostalgia!

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #91 on: 28 May 2015, 11:07 »

Tai was there?

That must have been after her haircut.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #92 on: 28 May 2015, 14:20 »

Interesting and eclectic bunch.

But I've just watched Jingles Vid on London Comicon, so I've seen some interesting and eclectic individuals there too.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #93 on: 28 May 2015, 15:26 »

Considering her earliest contacts were with the personnel and staff at her dads Space Station, it doesn't surprise me that she has a basic knowledge of some scientific principles.
I can't be bothered to do an archive trawl to find all the quotations, but Hanners has repeatedly demonstrated that her grasp of QC-universe science is much more than basic.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #94 on: 28 May 2015, 17:38 »

You know, Hannelore's monologue in this strip reminds me so strongly of DSL's QC Captions post from the other day that I wonder if Jeph was inspired by DSL.  :-D

No, no, Hanners has done much better than that. There's even a T-shirt.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #95 on: 28 May 2015, 19:56 »

Well that should settle it.  Comic 3,000 will be a new chassis for Pintsize.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #97 on: 28 May 2015, 20:59 »

Pintsized has a new trick!

It's apparently something other than shrinking, growing, and otherwise changing tge shape of his head!

I'm a little afraid now of what it might be!
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #98 on: 28 May 2015, 21:22 »

His hovercraft is full of eels.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #99 on: 28 May 2015, 21:50 »

They had to be rehoused somewhere after Momo changed chassis.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up