THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 20:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sven & Faye & Angus  (Read 3136 times)

sofiabailote

• Larger than most fish
Sven & Faye & Angus
« on: 25 May 2015, 09:04 »

so how long did Faye and Angus relationship last? a couple of months? because of the comic's slow pace it seems like it was years, but if you think about it... her reaction to his departure was a bit extreme for such a short dating period.
I guess her issues were just beneath the surface and Angus leaving was the straw that broke the camel's back...
I've been waiting for the Sven and Faye arc to move forward for 1000 strips  :cry: maybe now that Angus is out of the picture and she's working through her issues (is she still in therapy?) there will be some development there...

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
Re: Sven & Faye & Angus
« Reply #1 on: 25 May 2015, 09:53 »

I think Angus and Faye dated for something around 6 months? I think that was what AprilArcus's timeline had.

Yeah, Faye's reaction to Angus leaving was extreme, but it was bringing up her fears of abandonment and throwing them in her face.

I would like to see Sven and Faye interact/form a friendship again. I think that they are good for each other. We saw how Faye changed Sven, but how did Sven change Faye?

sofiabailote

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #2 on: 25 May 2015, 11:19 »

I think Faye & Angus wouldn't have happened without Sven. I guess he opened her up a bit. While she was attracted to Sven and kind of fought it because of his asshole-ish ways, it brought her out of her shell.
I do like Sven, he's a great character. He's presented to us as this douchey handsome guy, used to get what he wants not only with women but in life, generally.  I think he shows signs of growth as a person, as the comic evolves and that's refreshing. Some might look at his epiphany regarding his feelings for Faye as a spoilt brat attitude, but I found it sweet- like in When Harry Met Sally, when Harry finally realizes he's in love with Sally...

(...and I still don't get Dora's reaction to that. Dramatic much?)

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #3 on: 25 May 2015, 14:18 »

I don't think Sven is in love with Faye in any meaningful sense. She's just the first thing he wanted that he can't have and it is really bugging him.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4 on: 25 May 2015, 14:46 »

That is possible. I would like to see that play out. I really enjoy Sven as a character, and I wish Jeph would feature him more.

sofiabailote

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #5 on: 25 May 2015, 15:27 »

I don't think Sven is in love with Faye in any meaningful sense. She's just the first thing he wanted that he can't have and it is really bugging him.

that's definitely a possibility, but I think it would be a great story arc to have a love-lorn Sven. that no-filter quality of his together with his inexperience with real emotions would make it hilarious!
obviously I don't think Faye is anywhere near ready to enter a relationship with him, but oh my god! I would love to see him try!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #6 on: 26 May 2015, 01:04 »

How do you define 'move forward'? Because while I don't think Sven is the signifier of the endtimes as some folks on here do, I do think he's an immature asshole and that Faye can do much better.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #7 on: 26 May 2015, 03:22 »

How do you define 'move forward'?

I don't know. I'm from Wisconsin.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

sofiabailote

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #8 on: 26 May 2015, 09:17 »

How do you define 'move forward'? Because while I don't think Sven is the signifier of the endtimes as some folks on here do, I do think he's an immature asshole and that Faye can do much better.

Move forward either by getting back together, or having a meaningful friendship, or Sven falling in love with someone else... I don't know, something! I guess I felt that part of the story was not wrapped up yet.
And while I agree with you on the asshole part, I think most QC characters are immature in their own way. I don't think Sven is malicious, he just lacks basic social skills  :roll: he often says or does things other characters (or even us, the readers) are thinking and for that he comes across as crass or douchey.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #9 on: 26 May 2015, 10:17 »

I wouldn't say they're mostly immature, certainly not any more.

I don't think he's malicious either. He is in a state of arrested development - but it doesn't make him free of the asshole label, thinking he can just rom-com his way back into Faye's life. He certainly doesn't do anything I'm ever thinking.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #10 on: 26 May 2015, 15:23 »

I don't think Sven is in love with Faye in any meaningful sense.
I think he thinks he is.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #11 on: 27 May 2015, 16:05 »

Faye recently, in comic time, said she stopped going to one-on-one therapy at some point but no details, which could partially explain the loss in progress, as well as the other stresses.

I would like to see more of Sven, in regards to Dora cutting him out which we haven't seen any consequences of yet. Faye may end up pushed in his direction with being out of CoD and Marten being busy with Claire. It wouldn't be healthy but I did always like their interactions.

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #12 on: 27 May 2015, 18:31 »

Yes. Sven is one of those characters that I enjoy watching! Like a toned down version of House, or Tony Stark. Yeah, they're jerks, but they face consequences for being a jerk, and they also have the potential for character growth.

Just because Jeph depicts something or someone, it doesn't mean that Jeph necessarily condones their choices or attitudes.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #13 on: 28 May 2015, 03:37 »

Of course not, in my own writing I constantly feature characters whose actions I don't condone in any way.

But I don't even enjoy watching Sven much, honestly - or at least haven't since his last time showing up in Faye's life, before that I largely found him to be the kinda guy I loved to hate.

electromgneticDstroyosaur

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #14 on: 05 Jun 2015, 06:59 »

Since this week has made it abundantly clear that Faye will not be magically cured of her alcoholism, and that she has a lot of stumbling around to do:  Any thoughts on the possibility that she turns to Sven in a moment of weakness, and he becomes an enabler?

Consider the following scenario: Faye fails to make it back to the straight and narrow, so she can't pay her half of the rent, and eventually loses Marten's support.  (Alternatively, Faye begins to resent being baby-sat, and moves out of her own accord.)  She will need a place to live, and she will prefer the assistance of someone who isn't ready to judge her for drinking occasionally constantly.  Enter Sven, who has the means to put Faye up, lacks the moral backbone to be firm with her, and remains infatuated after all this time.

If this sounds like a terrible course of action for both of them, that's because it is.  There is no possible way for either of them to remain happy in this arrangement in the long term, and coming out the other side with their dignity intact is impossible.  But such minutiae haven't stopped these two before, and they're both far too stubborn to learn things any way but the hard way.
Just remember the 3 V's:  volume, vehemence, and venom.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #15 on: 05 Jun 2015, 07:06 »

That's one hell of a first post.

electromgneticDstroyosaur

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #16 on: 05 Jun 2015, 08:28 »

Thanks.  Seriously though, I love Faye, but she's testing my patience here.  It's harsh to say that life needs to show up and smack some sense into her, especially since it's barely out the door from last time, but I'm at a loss.  And yeah, I know how the allure of an addictive substance ensnares its victims.  Been there, done that.  Doesn't make it any less frustrating to watch from the sidelines.
Just remember the 3 V's:  volume, vehemence, and venom.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #17 on: 09 Jun 2015, 18:54 »

Not to tell Jeph how to run his shop, but a Faye-Sven housemate situation would be one hell of a storyline to explore: Someone struggling to control a self-destructive impulse, and someone who's never had seen a reason to control an impulse.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #18 on: 09 Jun 2015, 19:24 »

Hmm...
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: [1]   Go Up