• 28 Mar 2024, 03:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iOS  (Read 6431 times)

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
iOS
« on: 26 Jun 2015, 15:51 »

Well, we have an Android thread, and I switched back a few weeks ago when I got my iPhone 6+. So...here's the iOS thread!

Today's thoughts, where the hell is the iOS 8.4 GM? Usually it's released a week or so before the actual update, but it's not there yet. Also, is anyone thinking of joining the iOS 9 public beta?
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: iOS
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2015, 14:59 »

Since both 7 and 8 were seriously flawed on release, going for a beta would be pretty crazy unless you have a specific reason to.  Add in the problems I saw with early copies of both Mavericks and Yosemite, and you'll see why I think that Apple's software development and release process is seriously lacking.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2015, 21:31 »

I've been using the iOS 9 public beta for the last month or so and I really liked it. I'm downloading the 9.1 beta right now.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

downtowneddie

• Emoticontraindication
  • And now, The Toad Elevating Moment
« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2015, 22:40 »

I have the ancient iPhone 4s and iOS 9 works reasonably well on it if you realize that things will be a bit slower than one would expect. Battery life is pretty good and I am a fan of the low-power mode because my battery is probably on its way out.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #4 on: 19 Oct 2015, 16:38 »

Since both 7 and 8 were seriously flawed on release, going for a beta would be pretty crazy unless you have a specific reason to.  Add in the problems I saw with early copies of both Mavericks and Yosemite, and you'll see why I think that Apple's software development and release process is seriously lacking.

I can tell my friend who works for Apple about any specific concerns, if you'd like.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #5 on: 20 Oct 2015, 02:39 »

Apple's responsiveness to issues is well encapsulated by their continued refusal to define the support they will provide for their systems and the term over which it is available.  This makes it hard for many kinds of business to continue to use their products.  The term SLA (Service Level Agreement) is clearly anathema to them.  Add to that the deliberate engineering of means to prevent backing out of updates which happen to break something crucial to your business, and you can see why some of us are not fans.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #6 on: 08 Nov 2015, 12:21 »

Does anyone know how to e-mail a full-sized photo through the iOS Gmail application? For some reason it tries to resize it, and the only way I can find works is to email it through my computer. Kind of annoying.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #7 on: 17 Nov 2015, 14:36 »

So my phone isn't syncing. Fuck.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #9 on: 18 Nov 2015, 03:34 »

Well, they're right, of course.  But so has Microsoft.

In fact, the basic principles for good web design laid out by Steve Krug in Don't Make Me Think need to be applied to all computer interfaces...  It's now a game to discover how to use software, experimenting with unknown and undocumented gestures; for instance, a recent update of Android left me to discover for myself that the only way to start using it was to swipe upwards on the lock screen - no indication of this was given.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2016, 22:08 »

So true. The idea that quite complex devices should ship with no documentation at all, presumably on the grounds that their operation is "intuitive", is so very bad and lazy. Gesture controls especially suffer from a "discoverability" problem.

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman
Pages: [1]   Go Up