What are we in for this week

Occasional Filler Comics with Canadian Bacon
Faye working at The Secret Bakery
The return of the flying Roombas chasing Rocketbutt
Emily glomping Clinton
The return of Dora
Tai talking to Marten about Dora
More Group Therapy shenanigans
Hanners puts Pintsize in the Freezer (He likes it there)
Burger King with Spathe Ham and Waffles
Purple Monkey Dishwasher parade
Whatever Jeph has time for

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2991-2995 (29 June - 03 July 2015)  (Read 22673 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
WCDT 2991-2995 (29 June - 03 July 2015)
« on: 28 Jun 2015, 14:58 »

A busy time ahead for Lord Jeph.

Hope it all goes well for him and we'll just have to be patient as events unfold.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
Re: WCDT 2991-2995 (29 June - 03 July 2015)
« Reply #1 on: 28 Jun 2015, 15:07 »

I need to start a popular webcomic so I can move to Canada too.

And Clinton is overthinking this.  Just show up at Emily's place some morning and tell her you like her!  Worked for Marten.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #2 on: 28 Jun 2015, 15:12 »

#Buttrocket! Clinton's got the aerodynamics all figured out, stop being so tiresome, Claire!

That's just no way to treat your brother - boring? That's what you tell somebody you really don't want to talk with. 'Fix your personality'? That's just mean. But, on the other hand, I feel bad for Clinton now - I didn't think that was possible, but I see where he's got the foot-in-mouth thing from.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2015, 15:21 »

I think that this just a normal exchange between Claire and Clinton, nothing unusual for them.

Remember too. Clinton was ready to stomp on Marten if he hurt her, so I think that they have a farily good relationship as brother and sister, but exchanges like this are just something that happens between them.
James The Kugai 

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2015, 15:22 »

And, of all of that, he just kinda innocently adds, "and I'm moving to Canada."

:-o
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2015, 15:31 »

hmm. Now I need to figure out how to smuggle myself into Jeph's luggage...

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2015, 15:35 »

I think that this just a normal exchange between Claire and Clinton, nothing unusual for them.

Remember too. Clinton was ready to stomp on Marten if he hurt her, so I think that they have a farily good relationship as brother and sister, but exchanges like this are just something that happens between them.

Yeah, but it's Clinton who tells her he cares for her, and tries to protect her, even if it's in a really roundabout and annoying way (thanking Marten for not being weird about Claire snuggling him), and Claire who makes fun of him or just insults him without even being funny. When has Clinton ever returned the favour and has been mean to Claire?

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2015, 16:45 »

#Buttrocket! Clinton's got the aerodynamics all figured out, stop being so tiresome, Claire!

That's just no way to treat your brother - boring? That's what you tell somebody you really don't want to talk with. 'Fix your personality'? That's just mean. But, on the other hand, I feel bad for Clinton now - I didn't think that was possible, but I see where he's got the foot-in-mouth thing from.

My take is that this is their dynamic. Sometimes, Claire doesn't want to talk to Clinton, because as we all know, Clinton tends not to shut the hell up. Unless Emily is involved. Then, he's mysteriously unable to refuse any suggested activity.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2015, 17:07 »

Claire think's he's being manipulative making her wait for the call when really he's probably having trouble working up the nerve. She's wrong, but it's a understandable misunderstanding.

Finding the buttrocket boring however...Don't try and hide your feelings Claire. I saw those sparkles and bubbles.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2015, 18:07 »

The plaid shirt is a better look for Clinton. I'm not saying it's a good look - just better.

And he kept the tattoo. Fascinating.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2015, 18:43 »

The plaid shirt is a better look for Clinton. I'm not saying it's a good look - just better.

And he kept the tattoo. Fascinating.

Getting rid of it would be more painful again.
oh god

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #11 on: 28 Jun 2015, 19:24 »

My take is that this is their dynamic......

I don't have any siblings, but I've been told that little brothers are annoying.
And if Clinton was my brother, I'd probably talk to him the same way.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

wlewisiii

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jun 2015, 19:51 »

Perhaps she should tell her brother to talk to Marten? From her perspective, he's got to be doing a pretty good job overall.
Emily is the Avatar.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jun 2015, 19:53 »

little brothers are annoying.
That we are. (I would know, I am one.)
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jun 2015, 20:43 »

It's our main purpose in life
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

electromgneticDstroyosaur

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jun 2015, 22:06 »

Ah, sibling dynamics.  I think Claire is really just going for playful ribbing in this strip.  (You know how it's easier to say harsh things to close friends without actually getting serious about it?  Well that's the relationship I have with my younger brother, so I might be biased, but it seems like a reasonable model to assume for Claire and Clinton.  Also, Clinton has definitely retaliated before, even if he's not very good at it.)
Just remember the 3 V's:  volume, vehemence, and venom.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jun 2015, 22:10 »

If I had far more time on my hands, I'd be tempted to make a ButtRocket in Kerbal Space Program.

Who am I kidding, this is the internet. Someone almost certainly already has.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jun 2015, 22:58 »

All younger siblings are. I'm one too!

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #18 on: 28 Jun 2015, 23:16 »

Well, three things from today's comic:
  • Clinton, acting as Jeph's mouthpiece, confirms that Butt-rocket was non-canon and something weird in Clinton's head;
  • A nice new autmnal Claire costume;
  • As several forum members have pointed out previously, Clinton's family background has left him somewhat at sea as far as judging what is appropriate male behavior.
I'm thinking that the long-foreseen time skip has happened. Just long enough (no more than a week or so) that Claire can point out that one date and avoidance does not make for a relationship! The whole feel of today's strip is of the Fall.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

HannahRose

• Plantmonster
« Reply #19 on: 29 Jun 2015, 00:53 »

Whenever Claire is even a little mean to Clinton, there are inevitably people who accuse her of going overboard. My opinion of these people, of course, is that they are probably only children. lol

Granted yes I know that not every pair/set of siblings is like this, but usually when you've been stuck living with someone relatively close to your age for most of your life, and they in turn have been stuck living with you for all of theirs, it doesn't matter how much you care about each other, you *are* going to get on each other's nerves, sometimes a whole heck of a lot. And yes, the catty banter is part of that wonderful package deal. :P

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #20 on: 29 Jun 2015, 01:17 »

Just another thought about Claire and Clinton: For a while, I've thought that they're a good example of two siblings who love each other as siblings should but don't really like each other very much. There is one bit of evidence that doesn't fit with this idea though: What were they doing together in today's strip? As far as I can tell, there is no indication that there was a higher cause for them to meet, they just got together in the park to spend time together. The fact that they've taken time out from their academic schedules to spend a morning or afternoon together just talking (and allowing Clinton to start raving to Claire about a weird dream he had where Hannelore launched a rocket shaped like a butt) indicates that they actually quite like each other's company.

I just think that the two Augustus kids have abrasive personalities and this is reflected in their speech patterns. Edit that out and you see that Claire thinks that Clinton is far too good a person to string Emily along. Oh, and that listening to other people's description of their dreams is weird and there are few people actively enjoy it.

[edit]
Boy! Haven't Claire and Clinton changed in appearance a lot since their first appearances in the strip? Claire is a lot more aware of the fact that she can be attractive and dresses appropriately. Clinton has clearly decided to abandon the 'tech nerd' look altogether!
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2015, 01:44 by BenRG »
~~~~

Xcarissa

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #21 on: 29 Jun 2015, 04:13 »

As somebody with a brother close to my age (older, but mentally younger), this interaction between Clinton and Claire - and the fact that they seemed to be hanging out for no particular reason - seemed 100% normal to me.

Also, as someone with a dad who sucks, I'm really interested to hear more about how Clinton and Claire's dad sucks. I like story arcs and characters that I can relate to!
No.

swapna

• Curry sauce
« Reply #22 on: 29 Jun 2015, 04:25 »

Whenever Claire is even a little mean to Clinton, there are inevitably people who accuse her of going overboard. My opinion of these people, of course, is that they are probably only children. lol

Granted yes I know that not every pair/set of siblings is like this, but usually when you've been stuck living with someone relatively close to your age for most of your life, and they in turn have been stuck living with you for all of theirs, it doesn't matter how much you care about each other, you *are* going to get on each other's nerves, sometimes a whole heck of a lot. And yes, the catty banter is part of that wonderful package deal. :P

No, I just treat my younger brother like a person, you know? Yes, younger siblings are annoying, but Clinton's 21 and Claire's 24, and they're not living together any more. Clinton's living on the campus while Claire still lives at home. At this stage, sibling relationships change - you don't see each other that much any more, both are out of puberty, parents don't have that much influence any more, so you can actually enjoy the time you spend together because you don't have to spend it together at all. So, if they were 10 and 13, those insults would be normal and very usual for a sibling relationship, but they are adults now, with responsibilities and limited time. Why would you choose to spend that time with somebody who just insults you?

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #23 on: 29 Jun 2015, 04:30 »

Also, as someone with a dad who sucks, I'm really interested to hear more about how Clinton and Claire's dad sucks. I like story arcs and characters that I can relate to!
If memory serves, he cheated on their mom and left the family.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #24 on: 29 Jun 2015, 06:42 »

And that really is all we know about him so far. He hasn't been mentioned much in the story. We don't even have a name for him, aside from maybe 'Mr Agustus'. And that's assuming the family or the kids at least had/kept his last name.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #25 on: 29 Jun 2015, 07:02 »

I'm still hoping his name is "Claudius Tiberius Augustus".  :-D

Platypodes

• Pancakes!
« Reply #26 on: 29 Jun 2015, 09:40 »

Has anybody got a notion of how much time has elapsed since Clinton and Emily's date?

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #27 on: 29 Jun 2015, 10:11 »

No, I just treat my younger brother like a person, you know? Yes, younger siblings are annoying, but Clinton's 21 and Claire's 24, and they're not living together any more. Clinton's living on the campus while Claire still lives at home. At this stage, sibling relationships change - you don't see each other that much any more, both are out of puberty, parents don't have that much influence any more, so you can actually enjoy the time you spend together because you don't have to spend it together at all. So, if they were 10 and 13, those insults would be normal and very usual for a sibling relationship, but they are adults now, with responsibilities and limited time. Why would you choose to spend that time with somebody who just insults you?

THANK YOU. I'm a younger sibling that less than a year ago moved out of my mom's place so we are all independent now. I fucked up big time several times with my sis and my mom back when we were all living together and the chemistry changes dramatically once everyone living on their own. It's insane!

I now have the best relantionship I could ask for with both of them (same with dad but he lives even further away from me, hence why I didn't mention it)... I wouldn't spend time with them at all if they were acting like douches. Clinton has never shown any signs that he enjoys even slightly that kind of behaviour from his sister.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #28 on: 29 Jun 2015, 10:12 »

Has anybody got a notion of how much time has elapsed since Clinton and Emily's date?

I would hazard a guess of a couple of days, no more than a week.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #29 on: 29 Jun 2015, 13:00 »

I live a hundred miles away from my parents and older brother.  By Texas standards this is not quite next door.

In middle school and high school, due to my fucked-up mental health, my brother was my best friend and at times my ONLY friend.  We're still very close.

We have conversations like the one in today's strip ALL THE TIME.  I'm 32, he's 34.  Some siblings never outgrow it.

improvnerd

• Furry furrier
« Reply #30 on: 29 Jun 2015, 14:05 »

I wonder how much of their dynamic relates back to when they were brother and brother instead of brother and sister. Especially Claire's joke about how Clinton lost his hand. That seems much more like something an older brother would say.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 29 Jun 2015, 14:58 »

That may be part of it improvnerd.  Like I said earlier, this is just probably the dynamic between these two. 
James The Kugai 

HannahRose

• Plantmonster
« Reply #32 on: 29 Jun 2015, 15:01 »

Your post would have some merit, IF Claire seemed like she was actually being serious. However, she doesn't, so I feel like you're being overly critical just for the sake of it (as people in these forums seem to have a habit of being). And even if I'm wrong, and she does mean some of what she says, so what if they still bug each other? It's not like they only see each other once a year and spend the rest of the time hundreds of kilometers apart. They might be living under separate roofs, but they're still in the same city, and given Clinton's age he probably hasn't been away from home for very long yet either. Their sibling dynamic probably hasn't really had the time or space to evolve beyond the "Mooooom, he won't get out of my room!" stage. A little bit of snarkiness also doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't still do anything to help the other out of a bind either. That's the wonderful thing about sibling relationships, you can be meaner than rattlesnakes to one another, but when the chips are down, you still have each others' backs. lol

Now granted, maybe I'm a little biased, and their relationship seems less hostile to me because their age difference and dynamic is so similar to my brother's and mine. I'm 25 (and trans too), and he's 21. We can't seem to spend more than about 5 minutes together without taking jabs at one another, but that doesn't mean we care about each other any less than we would if we were best buds. Heck, I held off transitioning for 4 years so he could go through high school without having to deal with crap from his ignorant peers because of it, and he's been supportive of me (albeit with the occasional shot taken) the entire time. Soooo you know, maybe I'm wrong and Claire really is just a mean spirited person who doesn't care about Clinton at all, and she really does view him as nothing more than a blight on her life, but I highly suspect that my whole "you're being overly critical" thing is probably closer to the mark here.

Some sibling relationships are all unicorn farts and puppy kisses, while others come just short of strangling each other with the telephone cord. What I see when I look at Clinton and Claire is a happy medium, prooobably leaning a bit more towards unicorn farts. :P
« Last Edit: 29 Jun 2015, 15:48 by HannahRose »

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #33 on: 29 Jun 2015, 16:11 »

I'm pretty sure I said this before, but I'm going to say it again just in case; I think at least a small part of the dynamic here is Clinton trying to be the older brother to Claire and her having none of it because he's still her annoying kid brother and that will never change.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

improvnerd

• Furry furrier
« Reply #34 on: 29 Jun 2015, 16:19 »

I think at least a small part of the dynamic here is Clinton trying to be the older brother to Claire

Makes sense. He's trying to treat her like a woman, but clearly has no idea how to treat women, trans or otherwise.

Xcarissa

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #35 on: 29 Jun 2015, 19:30 »

Do you recall when that was mentioned in the comic? I don't remember that.
No.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #36 on: 29 Jun 2015, 19:56 »

Do you recall when that was mentioned in the comic? I don't remember that.

Here.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #37 on: 29 Jun 2015, 20:35 »

Comic.

Everyone who voted "Emily Glomping Clinton," you have been confirmed as correct.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #38 on: 29 Jun 2015, 20:39 »

As of now, Clin-ton has not yet been glomped.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #39 on: 29 Jun 2015, 20:40 »

"Hey, you still have your haircut!"
"W-well yeah, I mean, it doesn't grow THAT fas--"
"And you still have your tattoo!"
"Big surprise, there."
"How long ago was our date, anyway?"
"Um, three or four days, I think?  Maybe a week?  Or two?"
"Really?  Doesn't seem like it was that long ago..."
"Eh, who knows, the timeline has been kind of screwed up lately."
"What?"
"What?"
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #40 on: 29 Jun 2015, 21:03 »

Boring Clinton is boring...

Emily, do NOT lick that tattoo. Something weird will happen...

Meanwhile, somewhere underground, Faye is crafting the Murder Chassis to end all murders.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #41 on: 29 Jun 2015, 21:09 »

If she licks it, if anything she'll be disappointed when it doesn't spark.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #42 on: 29 Jun 2015, 21:18 »

Yup. I smell a setup here. "Dear Brother of mine, why don't we go for a walk in the park for no particular reason." I wonder if Emily has been talking about her date with Clin-ton at work. Nonstop.
« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2015, 06:53 by Neko_Ali »

Timemaster

• Master of Time
« Reply #43 on: 29 Jun 2015, 23:13 »

Yay, the Clinton saga continues.  :-D

Neko_Ali, you may be right. It really looks like Claire set her brother up so he will "occasionally stumble" over Emily.
I wonder if he´ll fuck this up again as much as the original date. And if Emily will like it nonetheless.
And I wonder what will happen when he finally has to take a step back and show her his nerdy, dorky self. Will she still find him interesting?
It is of cause unevitable sooner or later and absolutely necessary if something real shall emerge from these dates.

So we are in for at least one week of Clinton and Emily. I´m sure that this will be interesting and amusing.
I only hope that we will return to CoD and Dora sometime near. I´m very curious how the coffeshop has develloped since Faye has left. And there has to be some kind of encounter between Faye and Dora. When Marten and Dors split up it took them quite a while ´till they spoke again at Tai´s party and became cool with each other. Given the glacial passage of time in QC this may take some time to happen between Faye and Dora in meatspace...

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #44 on: 29 Jun 2015, 23:20 »

Jeph may claim that today's strip is jetlag-enabled. However, I found it strongly in-character for Emily to behave in that way. I wonder if, on a certain level, she was expecting him to metamorphose back to his pre-date form because he didn't like her or something! I believe that a very, very interesting conversation (possibly ending in a clinch of some kind) is in the offing!

Shot in the dark - Claire's reaction was too practised. Did she plan this ambush ahead of time?

A note: I think that Clinton has been avoiding Emily because he really doesn't know what to do next. Well... maybe that's a good thing. Previously, his plans on these sort of things (human interaction) haven't worked out so well.
~~~~

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #45 on: 29 Jun 2015, 23:36 »

Clairebutt.

I appreciate the swerve where she's just playing mean sister to do something nice.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #46 on: 30 Jun 2015, 02:32 »

I'm also not sure that Clinton wanted to see Emily again, based on his reaction in panel 2.

retrosteve

• Very slow tourist
« Reply #47 on: 30 Jun 2015, 03:03 »

I just came to say I love the colours in the Claire and Clinton combo. These last two comics made my day just for Claire's shirt and hair, Clinton's shirt and hair, and the pretty backgrounds.
I will just stare and dribble now.
Buhbuhbuhbuh
Thinks too much.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #48 on: 30 Jun 2015, 04:22 »

Emily seems genuinely pleased to see Clinton again. That's a good sign.

Clinton doesn't have a clue what to do, but that's normal for Clinton. Actually it's normal for just about any guy with as little dating experience as Clinton. And Emily has just as little experience, so she has no clue that Clinton has no clue. I'd say this is working out well for both of them.

retrosteve

• Very slow tourist
« Reply #49 on: 30 Jun 2015, 05:17 »

Emily seems genuinely pleased to see Clinton again. That's a good sign.

Clinton doesn't have a clue what to do, but that's normal for Clinton. Actually it's normal for just about any guy with as little dating experience as Clinton. And Emily has just as little experience, so she has no clue that Clinton has no clue. I'd say this is working out well for both of them.

Clinton, get a clue! She just walked up to you, smiled, complimented you, reminded you of your last time together, and HELD YOUR HAND. Is it gonna take a whack from a clue-by-four?
Thinks too much.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up