What are we in for this week

Occasional Filler Comics with Canadian Bacon
Faye working at The Secret Bakery
The return of the flying Roombas chasing Rocketbutt
Emily glomping Clinton
The return of Dora
Tai talking to Marten about Dora
More Group Therapy shenanigans
Hanners puts Pintsize in the Freezer (He likes it there)
Burger King with Spathe Ham and Waffles
Purple Monkey Dishwasher parade
Whatever Jeph has time for

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 2991-2995 (29 June - 03 July 2015)  (Read 22481 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT 2991-2995 (29 June - 03 July 2015)
« Reply #150 on: 03 Jul 2015, 13:43 »

It's almost as though Emily is a bit confused!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #151 on: 03 Jul 2015, 14:23 »

Why Ludwig Amadeus Mozarf?  Wolfgang is doggier and also not confusing Mozart and Beethoven.

(I had a Beagle named Ludwig.  Strange dog.)

Then you couldn't have Virginia Wolf because then it would be two wolf themed names.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #152 on: 03 Jul 2015, 16:18 »

Just like in the scene where Pippi Longstocking goes into a drug store.

"No."
"What do you mean 'no'?"
"I am answering the question on the sign in you window: 'do you suffer from freckles?' No, I don't."
"But your face is full of freckles."
"Yes, but I do not suffer from them."

Or the Catholic radio station I occasionally listen to in the car (when there's a boring story on NPR) that is very, very unhappy about last week's Supreme Court ruling on marriage equality.  Stop talking about "people suffering from same-sex attraction," you guys.  They're getting married, so I'm pretty sure they're not suffering.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #153 on: 03 Jul 2015, 17:19 »

They're getting married, so I'm pretty sure they're not suffering.

Give 'em a few years...

Remember, the marriage success rate in the U.S. is 50%.
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #154 on: 03 Jul 2015, 17:37 »

Lies, damned lies, and statistics.

I'd bet vast sums of money that the gay divorce rate will be lower than that, by a fair margin.

Not because gays are better at marriage, but because a majority of them will have been with the person they marry for a long long time, already.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #155 on: 03 Jul 2015, 17:43 »

They're getting married, so I'm pretty sure they're not suffering.

Give 'em a few years...

"You want an amendment against same-sex marriage? Anyone who's ever been married knows it's always the same sex!"
--Robin Williams (PBUH)
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #156 on: 03 Jul 2015, 20:28 »

I'd bet vast sums of money that the gay divorce rate will be lower than that, by a fair margin.

Not because gays are better at marriage, but because a majority of them will have been with the person they marry for a long long time, already.

Okay, so we give 'em a bunch MORE years.

It'll level out eventually, but in the meantime, we can point out marriage success rates across orientation-lines to shut bigots the fuck up
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #157 on: 03 Jul 2015, 20:32 »

"You want an amendment against same-sex marriage? Anyone who's ever been married knows it's always the same sex!"
--Robin Williams (PBUH)

And here I thought that marriage would mean no sex.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #158 on: 03 Jul 2015, 21:06 »

Okay, so we give 'em a bunch MORE years.

It'll level out eventually, but in the meantime, we can point out marriage success rates across orientation-lines to shut bigots the fuck up

Tru dat. I was going to say that ought to have leveled out by 2030 when the newest cohort is hitting mid 30's and a bunch of the people who will be getting married over the next few months have died. But that's seemed kind of morbid.

Then I had a good meal and didn't care about being morbid.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #159 on: 03 Jul 2015, 23:01 »

--Robin Williams (PBUH)

And here I thought that marriage would mean no sex.

Zero is technically similar enough to zero to count as "the same" for most purposes, no?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
« Reply #160 on: 04 Jul 2015, 00:54 »

Or the Catholic radio station I occasionally listen to in the car (when there's a boring story on NPR) that is very, very unhappy about last week's Supreme Court ruling on marriage equality.  Stop talking about "people suffering from same-sex attraction," you guys.  They're getting married, so I'm pretty sure they're not suffering.

Some people suffer from religion.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #161 on: 04 Jul 2015, 05:31 »

Many people suffer from religion, even those who don't have it.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #162 on: 04 Jul 2015, 07:26 »

You know, I've been thinking about why I am just not a big fan of this plotline, and I think I've nailed it. There are several reasons:

When Emily was introduced she was a real character, she had the potential to develop and was more nuanced. Now she seems to be a caricature. I don't see any potential for character growth. The sense that nothing will really impact Emily and that she seems to purely exist to be "quirky and weird" makes me care less about her as a character.

This current plotline really seems to be taking us into manic pixie dreamgirl territory. A plotline that has been hashed out before, in several different mediums, ad nauseum. In short, a plot that will be all about Clinton's growth, and the magical effect that Emily will have on him. How Whimsical!

The more time Clinton spends with Emily, the less happy he seems. Maybe Emily will kiss Clinton at some point, and he will be over the moon! But only because he's been kissed by a girl! not because he actually enjoys spending time with Emily or cares about her.

Who knows, maybe Jeph is going to eventually take this plotline somewhere unexpected. If he plans to do that, I hope he dos it fast.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #163 on: 04 Jul 2015, 12:30 »

I hope he takes it exactly where you just implied.

Emily suddenly gets dead, dead, fucking serious.

'Clinton, tell me something you know about me. Anything.'
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #164 on: 04 Jul 2015, 14:42 »

Hannelore started out looking like a caricature. There is hope for Emily.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #165 on: 04 Jul 2015, 15:04 »

I'm not even sure Emily did have much of a real character when introduced. She was always the wacky caricature, and I seem to remember people complained about that on this forum back then.

I like her better since the date with Clinton, because she seems to have shown some ability to have a coherent conversation, even if we didn't see all the details.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #166 on: 04 Jul 2015, 16:05 »

Clinton and Emily are not really a match made in heaven.

These means there are four possible outcomes for this story.

1) They have actual struggles, fumbling toward some. We learn who they are beyond their surface treatments. Rainbows and Hearts, sitting in a tree. Kay eye ess ess, and all that rot.

2) They have actual struggles, fumbling toward some. We learn who they are beyond their surface treatments.  Storm clouds and slow sad music. Perhaps a mime trapped in an invisible box.

3) Jeph drops the ball. It goes to a silly punchline,  It is otherwise abdondoned.

4) Jeph drops the ball. Go directly to rainbows and hearts. Do not pass GO. Do not collect any plot or character development.

That's about as comprehensive as it gets.

As for subtle clues, if Jeph's doing more than comic relief, then he's doing just fine. Emily is being her normal, not quite present self, and Clinton is 20something who has never touched a boob. I've touched plenty of boob and I hardly know what to make of myself or anyone else after 1 date. Those first dates that have gone fairy tale well have always been with wildly incompatible people. Those dates that left me wondering tended to lead some place not too bad. And seemingly wildly compatible people don't find me attractive.

I'm just one guy, so I'm hardly the ur-case for humanity, but there's really nothing to see here. We don't have enough info to know what either of their motives are.

Which is, come to think of it, kinda dull.

Eh. It was enough to get me to write this comment. Good enough for governement work.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
« Reply #167 on: 05 Jul 2015, 01:09 »

Y'know, to those of you complaining that Emily is coming off as a bit too quirky or weird, I'd just like to remind you that she's surrounded by like, a million awesome and adorable dogs.  You try it and see what happens to your brain.

:wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :clairedoge: :clairedoge: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

They are fuzzy.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #168 on: 05 Jul 2015, 19:28 »

When Emily was introduced she was a real character, she had the potential to develop and was more nuanced. Now she seems to be a caricature. I don't see any potential for character growth. The sense that nothing will really impact Emily and that she seems to purely exist to be "quirky and weird" makes me care less about her as a character.
Would you like Raven back? (You do realize that Emily is Raven 2.0?)
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #169 on: 05 Jul 2015, 23:41 »

I'd argue that Raven was at least capable of carrying on a coherent conversation most of the time. She was flaky and kind of a ditz, but she still managed to seem like she could function, if not normally, in normal society.

Emily, on the other hand, seems to have become more and more out of it, for lack of a better phrase. Or maybe more unrealistically disassociated with how most human beings function in real life. She seemed quirky but at her base, still resembled a reasonably functional person early on. Now she seems to be weird just for the sake of being weird, without any of the relatable traits she had before.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up