THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 24 Apr 2024, 22:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Trimillennial Celebration Poll! What Wham! will Jeph give us?

Skip forward ten years and tell everyone to 'use your imagination to fill in the blanks'!
Jim proposes to Veronica!
Clairedad doth returneth! QC's answer to Amazi-Girl is born!
Angus's job flops and he comes crawling back to Faye!
Faye gets a new job!
Deathmøle demo tape is a hit! Stardom awaits!
Dora vs Sven, to the victor the family acceptance!
"Clin-ton... I'm... not a real girl!"

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 2996-3000 (6th to 10th July 2015)  (Read 42232 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
WCDT Strips 2996-3000 (6th to 10th July 2015)
« on: 05 Jul 2015, 06:29 »

Well, a great QC milestone is nearly upon us! Will Jeph celebrate it with some special revelation or major new plot twist? Will we look back on this Friday's strip and say "That's the day when everything changed"?

Personally, I don't think so. My call is that the most likely subject of Friday's strip will be Clinton and Emily deciding if the want to continue dating and thus be an official couple. That doesn't stop me speculating to the edge of plausible suspension of disbelief and beyond in the poll. so, please, treat it in the way I intended it and let yourself go wild! Add your own ideas in a comment too! It's all in good fun!

For me, the maddest but most fun option would be #6. After all, a plausible outcome of that scenario would be Marten and Hanners being put on a bus as they head out to California to start their new life as rock stars!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
Re: WCDT Strips 2996-3000 (6th to 10th July 2015)
« Reply #1 on: 05 Jul 2015, 10:31 »

How so "not a real girl?" An alien? A panda in disguise? An elf?
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #2 on: 05 Jul 2015, 10:41 »

In whatever way the voter wants.

My personal favourites is a CARA (Child Affection Replacement Android) with an experimental 'natural growth to adulthood' chassis or a genetically engineered 'perfect girl' but where the experiment failed and instead led to some autism-like social skills learning disabilities.
~~~~

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 05 Jul 2015, 11:32 »

An eldritch being?
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #4 on: 05 Jul 2015, 11:35 »

An amoeboid plasma creature from Rigel IX wearing a heavily insulated human suit?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #5 on: 05 Jul 2015, 11:41 »

When she was a baby, Emily's biological parents launched her into space to escape the imminent destruction of her home world... No, wait, that's been done.

An accidental overdose of gamma radiation... Nah, nobody would believe that.

Bitten by a radioactive loon... Hm, now we're on to something.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #6 on: 05 Jul 2015, 11:51 »

This week: Dogs!  :clairedoge:

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #7 on: 05 Jul 2015, 12:47 »

Don't we already HAVE an answer to Amazigirl? Pizzagirl? Maybe, Vespavenger as like, an evil version?
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #8 on: 05 Jul 2015, 13:58 »

Mass hallucination of the fourth-wall-breaking kind.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #9 on: 05 Jul 2015, 14:18 »

"I am a Real Girl." And Clinton's middle name is Lars.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 05 Jul 2015, 14:30 »

She's a Replicant
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #11 on: 05 Jul 2015, 15:11 »

Plot twist: So is Clinton.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #12 on: 05 Jul 2015, 18:00 »

Northampton's real name is Emily Grove.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #13 on: 05 Jul 2015, 18:11 »

I think Angus will come back.  The Nightly Show's ratings haven't been great.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #14 on: 05 Jul 2015, 18:17 »

AMAZI-GIRL: "I never asked QC a single question!"

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #15 on: 05 Jul 2015, 18:56 »

And comic.

I don't like how that can go Claire. If nature follows its curse with your brother and Emily it can only end in absolute disaster for the entirety of Northhampton.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #16 on: 05 Jul 2015, 19:04 »

Claire, you annoyed the hell out of me when you were first introduced.  But you have just managed to reach a whole level of awesome…  If not two or three.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #17 on: 05 Jul 2015, 19:08 »

I dunno. A grown woman referring to a pair of wolves as a 'boy wolf' and a 'girl wolf' just feels weird to me. As in, it's a choice of words I'd expect Sam to use rather than Claire, despite her bouts of immaturity at times.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #18 on: 05 Jul 2015, 19:13 »

So, looks like Clinton and Emily won't be present for #3000.  Now, where are Marten and Claire going?  Library's probably out (otherwise Claire would've arranged a cute-meet meet-cute there), and we've visited both Marten's and Veronica's apartments in recent weeks, so that leaves us with Coffee of Doom or Secret Bakery, I hope.  Would be nice to see either, but I hope we get to check up on Dora.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #19 on: 05 Jul 2015, 19:21 »

I dunno. A grown woman referring to a pair of wolves as a 'boy wolf' and a 'girl wolf' just feels weird to me. As in, it's a choice of words I'd expect Sam to use rather than Claire, despite her bouts of immaturity at times.

I don't know what you mean. Maybe it's a cultural area thing, because I'm 22, and I'd see that as the easiest non-scientific way to describe that pairing. Most of the people around me would too, from the way they talk about dog breeding. It's just the simplest terms.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #20 on: 05 Jul 2015, 19:26 »

Also she's a 24-year-old grad student. I mean, technically an adult, but...yeah.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #21 on: 05 Jul 2015, 20:21 »

A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

Rghfrgl

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • *Crunch* *Crunch* *Crunch*
« Reply #22 on: 05 Jul 2015, 20:40 »

If we're back on M&C, on one hand it might be a bit early...

But on the OTHER hand I think the 3k milestone would be the perfect place for a "I love you".

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #23 on: 05 Jul 2015, 20:54 »

I dunno, an "I love you" doesn't feel very milestone-ish for those two just yet.  Although they went from hand-holding to banging in less than a week, there hasn't been a lot of development since, relationship-wise.  Still a bit too early for it to have any real dramatic impact.
You have not experienced Questionable Content until you have read it in the original Klingon.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #24 on: 05 Jul 2015, 21:05 »

I dunno, an "I love you" doesn't feel very milestone-ish for those two just yet.  Although they went from hand-holding to banging in less than a week, there hasn't been a lot of development since, relationship-wise.  Still a bit too early for it to have any real dramatic impact.

You don't see Claire saying that too soon in the relationship, because it's her first, freaking Marten out being a possible source of drama?

Let's face it. Marten's been too chill about all this. I wouldn't mind a source of relationship drama between them, especially one that isn't arbitrary, introduced solely by an outside source or with Only Bad Endings possible.
oh god

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #25 on: 05 Jul 2015, 21:18 »

I dunno, I can't see Marten freaking out over it.  Probably because he has been too chill.  You're right about that.  Aside from the contrived phone call misunderstanding during Faye's relapse, everything else in the relationship has gone so well that I can't imagine an "I love you" from either character feeling anything but milquetoast at this point.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #26 on: 05 Jul 2015, 22:48 »

Not sure about you all, but to me the last panel of Friday's comic didn't necessarily look like it was going to a good place. With Emily, you have to be willing to sit back and enjoy the ride; being able to appreciate the unexpected is essential. But Clinton seemed to be reverting to uptight form. The Clinton-Emily pairing could end up fizzling, and from Clinton's point of view it might look as if Claire's meddling is what finished it off.

Bear in mind that smooth relationship sailing doth not necessarily an interesting webcomic make. If Claireten is all warm fuzzies, somebody else may need to have troubles in order to balance out.

Radium_Coyote

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #27 on: 05 Jul 2015, 23:33 »

I don't think this works out how most of you think.  Claire says "Mission accomplished."

Meanwhile, Clinton is being exposed to ways in which which tradition "this worked out" are utterly meaningless.

He's in love with Emily, whether he knows it or not, but she's not in any sense previously sailed shores.  Nothing anyone has previously done COULD have prepared him.  Here's the scary thing:

As his FIRST LOVE: this is the one who sets the bar.  If it does NOT work out, Emily is who you have to beat, to be Clint's lover.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #28 on: 05 Jul 2015, 23:48 »

Okay, whilst it's cute to see Claire in a bubbly mood and it's a bit of character development to learn that she's got a talent for sneakily arranging stuff (including her brother's life, if he's being indecisive) this may not end well.

Claire's intentions are good: She feels that the only way to get Clinton out of his indecision loop and comfort zone is to put him in a situation where he has no choice but to talk to Emily. However, this could blow up in her face if Clinton does something stupid or says something hurtful because he's off balance. Then she'd be partially responsible for her best friend's heart being broken and her brother's nose being broken... again.

So, looks like Clinton and Emily won't be present for #3000. 

Maybe and maybe not. This could just be a jump-away interlude to explain exactly how Clinton and Emily ended up in the park together. We could go back to the other couple tomorrow.

Now, where are Marten and Claire going?

Personally, the thought that Claire and Clinton met during Claire's lunch break is fairly sound. She and Marten could be going back to the library as it could be Emily's day off.

FWIW, whilst I think that we'll be switching back to Emily and Clinton, it is possible that we will be getting a set of update strips on the Claireten ship (especially if there has been a big time skip and Jeph wants to emphasise that in the narrative). However, as I say, I think going back to Emily and Clinton is more likely.
« Last Edit: 06 Jul 2015, 00:21 by BenRG »
~~~~

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 06 Jul 2015, 00:09 »

Velllllly schneekey Claire

And well done.

Comic #3000 - One page, Clin-ton with a big grin on his face leaving Emily's place.
James The Kugai 

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #30 on: 06 Jul 2015, 00:29 »

I don't think this works out how most of you think.  Claire says "Mission accomplished."

Claire's mission was to get the two of them in the same place (and a good place) and talking to each other. She's certainly accomplished that: I don't think Claire has specific plans for what happens next.

Comic #3000 - One page, Clin-ton with a big grin on his face leaving Emily's place.
You think it's going to be that easy for Clinton?
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #31 on: 06 Jul 2015, 00:38 »

It may be that easy for Emily.

Let me explain what I mean: I think that this is going to be one of those relationships where the woman is the more decisive and influential personality. Emily is going to take the lead simply because Clinton is too easily suggestible and too indecisive without Emily's prompting. If they do have sex, it will be because Emliy leads Clinton to it and initiates it.
~~~~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #32 on: 06 Jul 2015, 01:20 »

If the 3000th post turns out to be just Steve eating some cereal while reading the paper, then looking out the window when a car honks, then going back to his paper, for four panels, I would laugh myself inside out.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #33 on: 06 Jul 2015, 02:11 »

Claire's mission was to get the two of them in the same place (and a good place) and talking to each other. She's certainly accomplished that: I don't think Claire has specific plans for what happens next.

Yes, well, she does say as much in the fourth panel.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

anahata

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Never knowingly understood
« Reply #34 on: 06 Jul 2015, 02:31 »

It may be that easy for Emily.
If they do have sex, it will be because Emily leads Clinton to it and initiates it.

Well yes, but that's pre-supposing that Clinton is already sufficiently attractive to Emily for her to want to do that.
On the other hand maybe - De gustibus non est disputandum, especially where Emily's concerned.
It's Okay! I just won't touch any machines!

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #35 on: 06 Jul 2015, 06:15 »

If the 3000th post turns out to be just Steve eating some cereal while reading the paper, then looking out the window when a car honks, then going back to his paper, for four panels, I would laugh myself inside out.

Sara.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #36 on: 06 Jul 2015, 06:22 »

The idea that first nookie for Clinton/Emily happens by end of week seems wildly premature. There's miles to go before we're anywhere close to that; particularly with someone like Clinton, who's both inexperienced and methodical, we'll need to go through many stages first. First hand-holding, first hug, first kiss, first makeout session, etc. Plus angst in between each. And all assuming neither blows it by saying something stupid that scares the other away.

Much more likely we're going to see first spat between these two.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #37 on: 06 Jul 2015, 06:40 »

Sara.

What?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #38 on: 06 Jul 2015, 06:42 »

Sara.

What?
Steve kills Sara, then cooks and eats her while reading the paper. It is only then that we realize Steve has been an allosaurus all along.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #39 on: 06 Jul 2015, 06:48 »

Nah, the allosaurus just ate her leg.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #40 on: 06 Jul 2015, 06:59 »

Well, sure. That's why Steve the Allosaurus has to finish the job he started.

FunkyTuba

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #41 on: 06 Jul 2015, 07:27 »

Is it just me or is Marten not embarrassededly grabbing his neck as much as he used to?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #42 on: 06 Jul 2015, 08:34 »

Is it just me or is Marten not embarrassededly grabbing his neck as much as he used to?

The length of time that he's known Pintsize, he's got to develop a higher embarrassment threshold eventually!
~~~~

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #43 on: 06 Jul 2015, 10:48 »

Well there was no mention about it being under his own power but the Paramedics will be sure to be gentle and not jostle the gurney too much.  :wink:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #44 on: 06 Jul 2015, 19:41 »

There you go - potassium banana smoothies!  Great second date.
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Gladstone

• The Tickler
« Reply #45 on: 06 Jul 2015, 19:41 »

Welp, I was wrong about Jeph leaving Emily and Clinton behind. But! looks like they're heading to Coffee of Doom.  Which might actually be more interesting than if Marten and Claire went...

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #46 on: 06 Jul 2015, 19:59 »

There you go - potassium banana smoothies!  Great second date.

I'd agree, but I don't think Emily would call it that. She still doesn't realize the first evening was supposed to be a date, I don't think. If she does, then maybe. This comment hinges on whether it's been established in the unknowable space that is Emily's mind, that she's been on a date.

If you'll excuse me, my (legitimately prescribed) drugs are kicking in. I must sleep.
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

TRVA123

• Duck attack survivor
  • Just waiting to jump in with a peninsula joke.
« Reply #47 on: 06 Jul 2015, 20:21 »

He's in love with Emily, whether he knows it or not, but she's not in any sense previously sailed shores.  Nothing anyone has previously done COULD have prepared him.  Here's the scary thing:

As his FIRST LOVE: this is the one who sets the bar.  If it does NOT work out, Emily is who you have to beat, to be Clint's lover.

Really, you think he loves her? I guess I just don't see it.

I really think that Clinton likes the idea of being in love with a girl, and at the moment Emily is his only prospect. I think that some people confuse the desire to have a "significant other" with actually being in love with a person.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #48 on: 06 Jul 2015, 20:46 »

And are we about to see the return of Dora and the CoD gang?

Or will Jeph leave us hanging on that score again?
James The Kugai 

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #49 on: 06 Jul 2015, 20:52 »

I could see Emily breaking Clinton's mind by introducing him to Hanners as her boyfriend.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up