THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Trimillennial Celebration Poll! What Wham! will Jeph give us?

Skip forward ten years and tell everyone to 'use your imagination to fill in the blanks'!
Jim proposes to Veronica!
Clairedad doth returneth! QC's answer to Amazi-Girl is born!
Angus's job flops and he comes crawling back to Faye!
Faye gets a new job!
Deathmĝle demo tape is a hit! Stardom awaits!
Dora vs Sven, to the victor the family acceptance!
"Clin-ton... I'm... not a real girl!"

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 2996-3000 (6th to 10th July 2015)  (Read 41724 times)

greywolfe

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: WCDT Strips 2996-3000 (6th to 10th July 2015)
« Reply #200 on: 10 Jul 2015, 00:17 »

Is it just me or does Clinton have an extremely short torso? Sitting down Emily towers over him, standing up she still does.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #201 on: 10 Jul 2015, 00:21 »

Or, let's look at it another way. Star Trek predicted flip phones and 3.5 inch diskettes 30 years before they happened in the wider world, (20 to 25 years before they happened). Star Trek predicted transparent aluminum in 1986. 29 year later, it's a thing (beyond synthetic gems). Star Trek introduced the replicator in 1989.

If it was just Star Trek, I'd say you can't take it seriously, but you can now buy desktop 3d printers for under 3000 USD. A quick back of the envelope suggests that in 7 to 9 years, the current level of tech in those printers will cost about 45.50 USD. Odds are, they won't sell them that cheap. Capitalist economy hasn't adapted as fast as the rate of techno change. That's why Apple plans ways to make old hardware useless before it fails (and why I haven't updated my ipod for 2 years). But, in the next decade, expect replicators. Maybe just version 1.0, but replicators.

Actually, they predicted tablets as well with the data pads - and ours are far more advanced than the ones in the shows!

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #202 on: 10 Jul 2015, 00:38 »

Is it just me or does Clinton have an extremely short torso? Sitting down Emily towers over him, standing up she still does.

It's just you. Emily is tall.

She is, I think, the third or fourth tallest regular, after Dale. Probably 5th or 7th tallest overall. (Variability depends on how tall Veronica actually is.)

I think Wil is tallest. Then Sven, Jim, and Dale, then Emily, Henry, Veronica and maybe Maurice.

Clinton, OTOH, is among the shortest cast members.

(Wil and Sven aren't regulars atm, Veronica is. Jim is iffy.) Given Marten's 5'8" to 5'10" Emily is 5'10" to 6'1"

ThomasEll

• Plantmonster
« Reply #203 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:30 »

You say that, but back in school there was this really short guy, but when sitting down he was just as big as someone who was probably about a head taller than him, which is more of a difference than Emily has over Clintion

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #204 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:43 »

Not all torsos are created equal. Sitting, Clinton's plumage reaches Emily's eyebrows. Standing it's lower. He stands roughly the same height relative to Emily as Claire does. He and Claire are roughly the same height. Proportionally speaking, Clinton doesn't have a particularly short torso. Emily is just tall.

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #205 on: 10 Jul 2015, 04:03 »

I'm with Clinton on this one. I got a tattoo back in 2011, and while I haven't gotten one since I've been considering what I want to get next. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up getting several more before I die.
Because getting several more after you die would be a bit creepy.
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #206 on: 10 Jul 2015, 05:03 »

The only tattoos I have are alignment marks from when I had radiotherapy 25 years ago.  I have no inclination to get any more!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

dexeron

• Obscure cultural reference
    • My Twitter
« Reply #207 on: 10 Jul 2015, 06:17 »

Sorry, I never watched enough StarGate to know about their replicators. How are theirs worse than Star Trek's?

Stargate's replicators were what Star Trek's Borg always should have been; an implacable, unreasonable, single-minded enemy that acted like insects (and actually looked like them too,) adapted to threats, and even gave the most powerful civilization around (the Asgard) a lot of trouble.

When they finally did introduce their variation of the "Borg Queen" (human form replicators with individual personalities) it wasn't Star Trek's weird "hey, we know we said they were a hive mind with no central authority... but we want a Queen, so RETCON!"  It was an actual evolution of the "species" after a particularly misguided attempt to wipe out the replicators went horribly wrong and locked them in a time dilatation long enough for their AI to continue to grow and become self-aware. ;)

Also: THEY LOOKED LIKE A LEGO PROJECT FROM HELL!!!

Each of the "blocks" that make up this insect are actually individual Replicators.  They're basically tiny super computers with one goal: consume resources and replicate (the story behind their creation is dealt with through various episodes.)  In order to fulfill their goal, they combine in various ways to defend themselves and more easily consume anything in their path.  The insect form is the most common variation.

And since the main character of Stargate is played by Richard Dean Anderson, the show basically turns into "MacGyver vs. Lego Spiders" and it is awesome.
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2015, 06:27 by dexeron »

Oglokoog

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #208 on: 10 Jul 2015, 06:45 »

Welcome to the wonderful world of tattoos, Clinton!

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #209 on: 10 Jul 2015, 07:24 »

It's just you. Emily is tall.

She is, I think, the third or fourth tallest regular, after Dale. Probably 5th or 7th tallest overall. (Variability depends on how tall Veronica actually is.)

I think Wil is tallest. Then Sven, Jim, and Dale, then Emily, Henry, Veronica and maybe Maurice.

Clinton, OTOH, is among the shortest cast members.

(Wil and Sven aren't regulars atm, Veronica is. Jim is iffy.) Given Marten's 5'8" to 5'10" Emily is 5'10" to 6'1"
Don't forget Elliot!

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #210 on: 10 Jul 2015, 07:54 »

Or, let's look at it another way. Star Trek predicted flip phones and 3.5 inch diskettes 30 years before they happened in the wider world, (20 to 25 years before they happened). Star Trek predicted transparent aluminum in 1986. 29 year later, it's a thing (beyond synthetic gems). Star Trek introduced the replicator in 1989.

If it was just Star Trek, I'd say you can't take it seriously, but you can now buy desktop 3d printers for under 3000 USD. A quick back of the envelope suggests that in 7 to 9 years, the current level of tech in those printers will cost about 45.50 USD. Odds are, they won't sell them that cheap. Capitalist economy hasn't adapted as fast as the rate of techno change. That's why Apple plans ways to make old hardware useless before it fails (and why I haven't updated my ipod for 2 years). But, in the next decade, expect replicators. Maybe just version 1.0, but replicators.

Actually, Star Trek: TOS had food replicators, but (as the name implies) they were only used for food and drinks -- they weren't general-purpose. And the food was considered mediocre, at least according to most of the novels; I can't remember if anyone ever commented on the food quality in the show. So TNG did introduce general-purpose replicators, yes. Interesting that in Star Trek, organic replication came before inorganic, whereas our 3D printers are starting with inorganic.

Oh, and transparent aluminum is a thing now? Cool! I hadn't heard that. What can they do with it?
TOS didn't have replicators; they had protein synthesisers that produced "meat" or "potato" or whatever specific blend was deemed to be each comestible then they had automated processors that assembled those into appropriately shaped lumps for delivery to the consumer according to their programmed diet plan in the tapes they put into the food terminals. Think like the entire food universe is nothing but nuggets, be they chicken, beef, potato, or leek.
The replicators assemble digital copies of actual food items that existed once. And the TNG replicators also made all the cutlery from the start so they were well capable of mechanical objects even then.

As for transparent aluminium, it's actually an aluminium based ceramic much like sapphire, but it's certainly close enough for government work.

Imagine how that's going to change market and demand for skills. While you're imagining that, hope to whatever you believe it that it's Star Trek's replicators and not StarGate's.

Sorry, I never watched enough StarGate to know about their replicators. How are theirs worse than Star Trek's?
Monomaniacal little robot bugs that consume everything nearby in order to make more of themselves, forever. They were exceedingly dangerous even before they developed true AI and the ability to plan. Then they copied Carter and everything went to hell in a hand basket…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

poofdepoof

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #211 on: 10 Jul 2015, 14:38 »

The only tattoos I have are alignment marks from when I had radiotherapy 25 years ago.  I have no inclination to get any more!

https://xkcd.com/933/

poofdepoof

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #212 on: 10 Jul 2015, 14:42 »

I enjoyed the thoughts that Emily expressed here, though I did find the way she expressed it somewhat jarring/OOC-ish, as I think many people have expressed above. In any case, QC has had some rocky characterization things before, so I just take the overall gist and cheer the characters on.

Do any of you read Dumbing of Age? I really liked Dina's recent "equivalent outburst," though I thought it was done very naturally and believably:
http://www.dumbingofage.com/2015/comic/book-5/03-the-butterflies-fly-away/safe-2/
http://www.dumbingofage.com/2015/comic/book-5/03-the-butterflies-fly-away/hypotheses/

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #213 on: 10 Jul 2015, 15:03 »

Don't forget Elliot!

Too late!

Not sure how Elliot fits in. I suspect like Wil tall or more. I did forget about him.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #214 on: 10 Jul 2015, 15:19 »

Can anyone find the one where he's standing next to Hanners? I wouldn't be surprised if he's a solid 6'4".
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #215 on: 10 Jul 2015, 15:40 »

a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #216 on: 10 Jul 2015, 16:02 »

Actually, I think in those first three panels Clinton is still sitting, which would make Emily appear taller than she really is at that moment, even though she is taller than Clinton as has been shown before and in the last panel.
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #217 on: 10 Jul 2015, 16:14 »

Well of course he's sitting in the first three panels.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #218 on: 10 Jul 2015, 16:17 »

We both spotted it straight away MoM, but I think some of the others didn't catch that little fact with her towering over Clinton like she was.
James The Kugai 

Method of Madness

• Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #219 on: 10 Jul 2015, 16:23 »

Yeah, but she's towering over him by at least a foot less in the last panel than in the first three, ha.

MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #220 on: 10 Jul 2015, 16:31 »

Wait. You mean that dude didn't notice that Clinton stood up?

IDGI

Is it kind of obvious? Emily's standing from panel 1. Clinton isn't, until the last panel.

Kugai

• Awakened
    • My Homepage
« Reply #221 on: 10 Jul 2015, 16:48 »

Sometimes it can happen.

It all depends on whether you think Jeph is placing emphasis on Emilys comments by making her look even taller than Clinton in those first three panels or not.
James The Kugai 

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #222 on: 10 Jul 2015, 17:07 »

I don't think about height cues too much since I started my own work. "Camera" angle can make characters look much taller than they are.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #223 on: 10 Jul 2015, 17:42 »

Or shorter.  Look at those filthy hobbitses.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #224 on: 10 Jul 2015, 20:24 »

Can anyone find the one where he's standing next to Hanners? I wouldn't be surprised if he's a solid 6'4".

We do have a comparison of Emily and Elliot, by proxy, in 2937

Emily is shorter than drunken asshole, who is in turn shorter than Elliot.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #225 on: 10 Jul 2015, 21:38 »

I think that it's safe to say that Emily is quite tall.  Claire and Clin-ton are rather short.  Since, in a lot of ways, Marten is the "average" guy, I'll place him in the "average" height category for a USian male, which, IIRC is about 5'10".  Hanners is somewhat tall, at about 6', so Emily probably has a few inches on her.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #226 on: 10 Jul 2015, 23:32 »

StarGate's replicators are small robots that, well, replicate. Themselves. That's pretty much all they do. They will make more themselves out of anything they can acquire.

Ohh, that kind of replicator. Ouch, yeah, not nearly as much fun as Star Trek's kind.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #227 on: 11 Jul 2015, 00:18 »

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2273

Hanners is about the same height as Marten. So 5'8" to 5'10" per the word of God.

Emily is, thus, 5'10" to 6' and  Elliot is...

Beard, that's a big fella, innit?

SubaruStephen

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #228 on: 11 Jul 2015, 05:18 »

Hanners is about the same height as Marten. So 5'8" to 5'10" per the word of God.

Elliot is...

Beard, that's a big fella, innit?

Doorknobs are typically between 3 and 4 feet from the floor, so here it would be about 3 foot (+/- 1 inch).

That would mean Elliot is well over 6' 4".

Too bad we can't see the top of the door, that would make it a lot easier to figure out, standard door height is 6'8" to 7'0".
A "buttload" is an actual measurement, next time someone tells you that they need a buttload of something, tell them 126 gallons might be a bit too much.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #229 on: 11 Jul 2015, 05:43 »

It;s hard to say. Emily seems to being drawn a tad short compared to Clinton in the Elliot Cameo. I hadn't noticed it but it's there. Unless the back counter area at CoD is raised, Hanners is either too tall or Emily too short.

Compared to Hanners in the Secret Bakery, he'd be clocking about an inch or so on Sven, which would put him as a bit shoter than Wil. I'd like to do dive and see if there's a shot where both Elliot and Wil are standing in the Horrible Revelation, but I don't think there is.

Hanners is definitely about Marten's height, and Emily is definitely 2 inches or so taller than Marten, so the recent scene inside CoD can't be right unless Hanners is on a raised area or in heels (which seems unlikely for a host of reasons)

CaptainFish

• Larger than most fish
  • GLUB
« Reply #230 on: 11 Jul 2015, 07:15 »

I quickly googled this and found that, at least at some point, Jeph does heights more relatively than holistically. So, it's kind of hard to establish a full chart unless the characters are in the same panel. I think it's why Faye's been drawn a lot shorter than Hannelore in some recent strips. He probably just prefers that relative scale, rather than it being a "true" size. I also remember something about him considering Hanners [slightly] taller than Marten in recent times, despite them starting around the same height.

I dunno if something's changed since then though.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #231 on: 11 Jul 2015, 07:54 »

Somewhere is a discussion about height where I -think- I had worked out a reasonable estimation of the characters present at the time.

I'd argue that Claire and Clinton are shorter than estimated here - I'd say Claire is more like 4 or 5, possibly 6 inches shorter than Marten. She's pretty petite, and shy o Faye by a couple of inches

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #232 on: 11 Jul 2015, 08:10 »

Faye's maybe 2", 3" shorter than shorter than Dora, tops:

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2186

I still say Dora's about the same height as Marten...

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1965

...as is Hannelore, with Marigold being 4-5" shorter:

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2189

Steve is maybe an inch taller than Marten, but no more than that, I'd say:

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2174

Sven is much taller than Dora:

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2191

And of course, no one's disputing that Tai is tiiiiny:

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=2106

So, if Marten is average height (I'd say, 5'10"), that puts them as follows:

Marten 5'10"
Dora 5'10"
Faye 5'7"
Hanners 5'10"
Steve 5'11"
Sven 6'6" (being generous)
Marigold 5'5"
Tai 5' (5'2", tops)

Ah, there we go. This will probably work as a pretty accurate point of reference.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #233 on: 11 Jul 2015, 08:34 »

Sven is height reduced, and this version is more consistent with recent appearances. Good thing too, because  6'6' makes Wil like 6'9"
http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1753.

He's probably no more than 6'3"

If Hanners has officially become taller than Marten, then she should only be slightly shorter than Emily, because Emily's no more than 2 inches taller than Marten. (Maybe 3, but that's pushing it.) There's not a lot of room there and Hanners does still seem to be not quite on Emily's level in her last appearance.

Still, the Emily Clinton ratio is a bit smaller than the Marten Claire ratio, and it shouldn't be.  With plumage included, the Augustus Duo stand the same height. Both are reaching right about to their respective paramours' eyebrows, which is wrong, since Emily is taller than Marten.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #234 on: 11 Jul 2015, 08:39 »

Well, I did say I was being generous on Sven's height  :wink:

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #235 on: 11 Jul 2015, 09:31 »

He was 6'6" in that linked comic. He's just been demoted. Or had his legs cut off below the knees.

Timemaster

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Master of Time
« Reply #236 on: 12 Jul 2015, 23:22 »

Panel 1 is probably the funniest Emilyface ever. Maybe I´ll make it my avatar.  :-D

And I like this episode and the conclusion to this small Emily/Clinton-arc. We don´t knpw what they will make of it, but now they are on even footing. I suppose they´ll become friends, but not much more.

Panel 3 is very nicely drawn. It´s very optimistic and some kind of beautiful. I like it a lot.

TM
Relax, it's just a comic.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
« Reply #237 on: 15 Jul 2015, 02:21 »

Oh lordy. Clinton is going to turn into an endorphin junkie. He's been stung by the needle and there's no going back.

He does not need tatoos to get that endorphin rush. Marten's mom could give him a few tips.
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #238 on: 01 Aug 2015, 19:09 »

I'm a little late to the party (I binge-read, ok?!), but on the strip before the strip I found one of the most profile pic-worthy portraits I can remember seeing in QC.

So, any fans of Emily here, that would like a (new) profile pic?

(I'd have aken it myself, but I have a Torg-only policy!)
I dunno..

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #239 on: 01 Aug 2015, 19:42 »

I'm a little late to the party

Shoulda waited fourteen days, made it a whole month late from the last time someone posted here
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up