THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Apr 2024, 14:38
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DC Animated Universe Appreciation Thread  (Read 3108 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
DC Animated Universe Appreciation Thread
« on: 15 Jul 2015, 13:47 »

So it came up in the Man of Steel thread - the Detective Comics (Comics) Animated Universe.

If I was to consider this shared universe to be one show from 1992 to 2006, it would probably be my favourite show of all time. If push came to shove, then Justice League Unlimited is the one, its three seasons are incredible, the best logical progression from the Batman series.

The DCAU amounted to comics, games, movies, and TV shows. I've not seen/read/played all of them by any means, so I'll just talk about the ones that I know well, and we can all sit back and appreciate one of the greatest achievements in children's animation - and also way, way, WAY less dated than the Marvel shows from the same era, which have aged appallingly in basically every sense apart from character design. For this, we primarily have to thank Bruce Timm, but also the guys he worked with, all of whom added at least a little something to this varied, textured and deep universe.

Batman: The Animated Series
(click to show/hide)
Batman: The Mask Of The Phantasm
(click to show/hide)
Superman: The Animated Series
(click to show/hide)
Batman: The New Adventures
(click to show/hide)
Batman and Mr. Freeze:Sub Zero
(click to show/hide)
Batman Beyond
(click to show/hide)
Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker
(click to show/hide)
Batman: Mystery Of The Batwoman
(click to show/hide)
Justice League
(click to show/hide)
Justice League Unlimited
(click to show/hide)

Anything I've not mentioned I never saw, and obviously I missed out a ton of shit. What's your favourite parts of the DCAU? Or even any DC animations for that matter, we can push the boat out. What did you like? What didn't you like? APPRECIATE.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
Re: DC Animated Universe Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2015, 17:45 »

Oh man there is so much more awesome stuff that you are missing. The DCAU is pretty extensive. Well, for some run down.. Look into Young Justice and the Teen Titans cartoon. Not Teen Titans Go, but the one that appeared a few years before. If you like Batman Beyond (who wouldn't) I recommend checking out Zeta Project. If you remember one episode he fought against a robot named Zeta who gained self awareness. Well the character was popular enough to get a 2 season spin off show. Batman Brave and the Bold is a great show. It was more over the top and larger than life than Batman: TAS, but not as much as say, the Adam West series. The format of that was every episode Batman teamed up with one or more members of the greater DC hero cast. It also was the cartoon that made Aquaman pretty awesome in his own way. The most recent version of the Batman mythos is Beware the Batman. A good show, set earlier in Batman's career when he wasn't the consummate unstoppable badass he is usually seen now. Just a regular badass. It also featured a younger Alfred Pennyworth and Katana as allies.

For movies... I would recommend Wonder Woman, Justice League: New Frontier and Suicide Squad.  All three are superb movies that I own and have watched a lot. There are so many more out there, but I'd probably have to visit my movie shelf to talk more about them.

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2015, 18:39 »

Whoa whoa, where's Under the Red Hood? Probably one of the best animated Batman movies there is.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #3 on: 16 Jul 2015, 01:07 »

Well, the vast majority of what was mentioned I didn't listen because none of it is part of what is termed as the DCAU. That refers to a specific, set universe that didn't overlap with other shows.

If you like Batman Beyond (who wouldn't) I recommend checking out Zeta Project. If you remember one episode he fought against a robot named Zeta who gained self awareness. Well the character was popular enough to get a 2 season spin off show.

I did start trying to watch that, but I couldn't really get into it, I didn't really engage with the concept much - aside from the episodes where Terry made a cameo, of course.

Batman Brave and the Bold is a great show. It was more over the top and larger than life than Batman: TAS, but not as much as say, the Adam West series. The format of that was every episode Batman teamed up with one or more members of the greater DC hero cast. It also was the cartoon that made Aquaman pretty awesome in his own way.

I've seen one or two episodes of this, and it looks like tremendously goofy nonsense in the best possible way. I need to see more.

For movies... I would recommend Wonder Woman, Justice League: New Frontier and Suicide Squad.  All three are superb movies that I own and have watched a lot. There are so many more out there, but I'd probably have to visit my movie shelf to talk more about them.

I've seen New Frontier, but it's really such a straight port of the comic that I didn't rate it much.

Lines

• Awakened
« Reply #4 on: 16 Jul 2015, 04:07 »

Make sure to watch the episode with the Music Meister when you watch Brave and the Bold. It's hilarious and awesome.
:grumpypuss: :grumpypuss: :grumpypuss:

Edguy

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
  • Takin' care of business!
    • My facebook page
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jul 2015, 13:27 »

Flash & Substance greatest episode.
I dunno..

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jul 2015, 15:28 »

You know what? Taking turns is dumb.

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #7 on: 16 Jul 2015, 16:35 »

Dude, as soon as you finish your drink, turn yourself in.
I dunno..

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 16 Jul 2015, 18:33 »

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jul 2015, 08:17 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Edguy

• My facebook page
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jul 2015, 10:29 »

I wanna hear Hamill sing this!
I dunno..

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2015, 08:47 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

Masterpiece

• Older than Moses
  • No time for Claireification
« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2015, 19:05 »

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2015, 09:30 »

I frickin' love Batman TAS and regularly tuned into Batman Beyond when I watched Toonami. Gonna have to get back into them.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #14 on: 24 Jul 2015, 22:07 »

I've only seen JL/JLU (do you really consider them two different shows? I've always considered it one show that just added a subtitle in season 3 when they expanded the cast).
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pages: [1]   Go Up