THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:37
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Oh Canada! What Strips Does Jeph Draw?

Faye gets the job! Her first day begins!
Bubbles' boss wants to see her in action before he makes an offer;
"Don't call us, we'll call you" but Bubbles has an idea for someone else who might use Faye's skills;
Pintsize shows Faye his 'combat' chassis for use when engaged in lovers' tornaments
Momo comes to visit her sister, Bubbles, and is surprised to find a familiar face!
Meet Arthur, Support Group Moderator and Announcer for Illegal Robot Deathmatches!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3006-3010 (20 to 24 July 2015)  (Read 28046 times)

Tichy

• Not quite a lurker
  • is the next leading brand
Re: WCDT Strips 3006-3010 (20 to 24 July 2015)
« Reply #100 on: 22 Jul 2015, 02:22 »

As much as I like this arc, today's strip felt like Jeph doesn't respect his readership's maturity. He uses Faye's question to remove objections that some readers may have, just so that there is less controversy around what Faye is doing - boring! Some of you have the same concerns, because you're second-guessing the answer, but Faye doesn't seem to be doing that. (Maybe tomorrow.) That's my point: Faye's moral concerns about were established before, so it isn't that she *asked* which I find unrealistic, but rather the direct and open answer the manager gave her. I would not expect underground robot fighting to be this "clean", and the manager of a fighting ring to give an answer that isn't even slightly evasive.

(Also, hi everyone!)

improvnerd

• Furry furrier
« Reply #101 on: 22 Jul 2015, 02:50 »

I would not expect underground robot fighting to be this "clean", and the manager of a fighting ring to give an answer that isn't even slightly evasive.

How do you know Corpse Witch was telling the truth?

katsmeat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #102 on: 22 Jul 2015, 02:52 »

In a perfect world, nobody would be interested in fighting for sport.
I take issue with that.  This is fighting for sport in which there is no chance of actual lasting damage (possibly except for financial if your expansive chassis gets trashed). In fact, isn't this exactly what violent video games and real-world Robot Wars actually are in effect?  If it was possible to upload a human to a hard drive or (more likely) control a non-AI chassis remotely with some kind of VR rig, people would be queuing up to do it. There's bound to be some AIs who would be similarity into it.

Saying that, she called it fighting for sport, a misnomer I think. For the AIs doing it it's actually fighting as a job and that's a big difference.  Fighting as a job when you would rather not, but have few or no other options must be all kinds of a shitty situation to be in.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #103 on: 22 Jul 2015, 03:13 »

Let us propose a perfect world is one in which no one has the remotest interest in harming anyone.

Let use further propose that such a world enables the population to indulge in arbitrary activity without hurting anyone. Would that activity be fighting?

I would like to fly a fighter jet. I would like to engage in air to air combat. I don't actually want to kill anyone, or destroy any of those wonderful machines. Video games allow me access to that experience, but they aren't really ACM. They are games.

It's a particularly semantic question of whether Corpse Witch means that in a perfect world, everyone would be a perfect pacifist, or whether everyone would only engage in activities that, while similar to fighting, on the surface, were not fighting.

I think of Olympic fencing. While one could get hurt doing it, it's well protected and it is particularly structured to avoid injury. Compare that to actual fencing, which is designed to kill. I really wouldn't call the sport a "fight." It's a contest.

Could we design a form of boxing with all of the drama but none of the brain damage? Maybe. In a perfect world, people would choose that over actually boxing. At least, in Corpse Witch's opinion.

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #104 on: 22 Jul 2015, 03:20 »

Hmm.

I dont get what the point of a third boob would be.  :?
Came here to post this. Can't figure out any real advantage to a third boob, for the owner. Can't even figure out any advantage for those she interacts with since both gentlemen and ladies both only have two hands.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #105 on: 22 Jul 2015, 03:31 »

As much as I like this arc, today's strip felt like Jeph doesn't respect his readership's maturity. He uses Faye's question to remove objections that some readers may have, just so that there is less controversy around what Faye is doing - boring! Some of you have the same concerns, because you're second-guessing the answer, but Faye doesn't seem to be doing that. (Maybe tomorrow.) That's my point: Faye's moral concerns about were established before, so it isn't that she *asked* which I find unrealistic, but rather the direct and open answer the manager gave her. I would not expect underground robot fighting to be this "clean", and the manager of a fighting ring to give an answer that isn't even slightly evasive.

(Also, hi everyone!)

I'm not everyone, but I'll tell her you said, "hi."

I suspect Jeph is also shutting down the conflict issue because it's not part of the story he wants to tell, as well, but I also believe it is too early to be leveling charges.

Let use, for a moment, suppose he's not. You've agreed Faye would ask.

Consider that, while Pintsize rarely lies, he has (he kept Marten in the dark about root parties being a thing, a lie of omission, at least). Why, went seeing an opportunity to utilize Faye's skills, would Corpse Witch spoil it with the truth?

QC is largely not a deep darkness story, so I suspect it is simply more in keeping with the style to dispense with the deep darkness in order to focus on the fart jokes. But simply because a character makes a statement, it does not follow that the character is being truthful.

I really hope that's not just my POV, or I'm going to have to rethink every story I've ever written.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #106 on: 22 Jul 2015, 03:48 »

I'm generally in agreement with ReindeerFlotilla on this matter. Jeph, typically (at least in QC) doesn't do 'dark'. The 'fights' are going to be like something out of a children's comic book with robots whose heads pop off on springs if you hit the button hit in the chest or something similar. As I've proposed before, I'm sure that many of the fighters will be professionals who are proud of their art and somewhat annoyed at the thought of snivelling do-gooders who are trying to ban it.

Furthermore, Jeph very rarely writes long-duration arcs, preferring episodic 'peeks' into relationships so you can see how they are developing; the reader is encouraged to fill in the blanks. This in itself may make it an interesting little new arc. If Faye does unintentionally become the focus around which Ultimate Robot Fighting League comes out of the shadows, or at least for some of the more desperate robots to escape exploitation by finding better jobs, I wouldn't expect it to be a single continuous arc. We'd just get little 10-20 strip episodes that is little more than Faye talking to someone for advice and conversations between Momo and Bubbles about civil rights or something.

FWIW, I still like the idea of Bubbles ending up as Faye's room-mate. Maybe Faye helps Bubbles to win the championship and Bubbles buys out her contract with her prize purse. She then 'goes legit' (a long-held dream of hers) by getting a job in security or even personal protection. Between them, she and Faye are able to afford their own apartment. Naturally, an ex-AnthroPC Companion turned into a killing machine turns out to be just the sort of friend Faye needs to keep her on the wagon.

That would be many hundred strips in the future, of course.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #107 on: 22 Jul 2015, 04:00 »

Can't even figure out any advantage for those she interacts with since both gentlemen and ladies both only have two hands.

Depends how many people she is "interacting" with...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Cpt. Slowloader

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #108 on: 22 Jul 2015, 04:10 »

WHYYYYYY would anyone want 3 tits? In this society, you'd be labelled a freak for it.
On the back for ballroom dancing?

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #109 on: 22 Jul 2015, 04:23 »

Came here to post this. Can't figure out any real advantage to a third boob, for the owner. Can't even figure out any advantage for those she interacts with since both gentlemen and ladies both only have two hands.

The typical human has two hands and one mouth.

And that's as far as I'm going with that line of discussion.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #110 on: 22 Jul 2015, 05:47 »

Hmm.

I dont get what the point of a third boob would be.  :?
Faye is going to have triplets and hasn't told anyone yet.  :roll:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #111 on: 22 Jul 2015, 06:03 »

The point of a third boob is that there's three of them now. More boobs = yay yay happy fun times.

Duh.
IMHO, in a perfect world, women have as many boobs as men have hands.
Carpe Diem

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #112 on: 22 Jul 2015, 06:08 »

I have 12 hands.

Their original owners are still looking for me.

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #113 on: 22 Jul 2015, 06:53 »

I have 12 hands.

How disarming.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Random832

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #114 on: 22 Jul 2015, 06:57 »

It's a particularly semantic question of whether Corpse Witch means that in a perfect world, everyone would be a perfect pacifist, or whether everyone would only engage in activities that, while similar to fighting, on the surface, were not fighting.

I have a different question. If everything she said was true, then how isn't this such an activity, and why is it illegal?

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #115 on: 22 Jul 2015, 06:59 »

I like Higgs.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #116 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:02 »

I have 12 hands.

How disarming.

What an 'armless joke.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

katsmeat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #117 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:05 »

I have a different question. If everything she said was true, then how isn't this such an activity, and why is it illegal?

Somebody mentioned  the possibility of betting. I can't think of any other reason, given what we know about it so far.

Or it could be that holding fights for the benefits of a large bunch of spectators would involve licensing the venue, getting event insurance and paying tax on the income. Details that Corpse Witch doesn't bother with.

dexeron

• Obscure cultural reference
    • My Twitter
« Reply #118 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:06 »

If this storyline doesn't end with Marten somehow getting kicked in the junk by Vespabot, I will be highly disappointed.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #119 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:06 »

Could be a quirk of how the laws were constructed - for instance, the laws were likely written to protect humans, and AI civil rights appears to be quite recent. So, it could simply be that the laws didn't consider an AI that could fight without injury.

For an instance of that happening in the real world, look at the issues surrounding gay divorce, and how it's utterly broken in some jurisdictions - even when they are fully behind gay marriage.

Radium_Coyote

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #120 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:12 »

I have a suspicion this is the robot equivalent of bumfights: professional boxing isn't illegal, but under-the-table on-the-sly boxing is.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #121 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:48 »

I have a suspicion this is the robot equivalent of bumfights: professional boxing isn't illegal, but under-the-table on-the-sly boxing is.

Yeah. Sometimes illegal means "criminal." Other times illegal means "it's okay when we can tax it."

TheBiscuit

• Furry furrier
« Reply #122 on: 22 Jul 2015, 07:57 »

I have the same issue with this storyline. It is amusing enough, but it doesn't hold up to scrutiny all that well based on what we know so far. I've been trying to think of some logical way that it could be both so inoffensive and illegal, but I can't think of an answer that convinces me. Of course, the writer will have his way and I'll be happy to see what he comes up with.

Random832

« Reply #123 on: 22 Jul 2015, 08:08 »

So, it could simply be that the laws didn't consider an AI that could fight without injury.

Right, but in that case why does the law define the chassis as being the AI (so this is like fighting) rather than being property of the AI (so this is like a monster truck rally)? It's not at all obvious why this should be the case (and if it is it raises questions about Momo's legal status).

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #124 on: 22 Jul 2015, 08:22 »

Laws are made by politicians. Politicians often aren't the most knowledgeable people about the subjects they legislate, and at times make laws based upon prejudice rather than reasoned thought. Thus we often wind up with laws that are contradictory or downright nonsensical.

Also, in the QCverse AI civil rights are a new thing, and the law is probably not changing rapidly enough to keep up with reality.

Still, as I said before, the thing that's most likely to be illegal is the financial aspect of the whole thing. Never mind the gambling - the IRS frowns on people being paid under the table. Like, really seriously frowns. With their frowniest frowns.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #125 on: 22 Jul 2015, 08:27 »

I wonder if the AI civil rights laws were hurriedly drafted in the aftermath of the AIs passing every known independent sapience test and were drafted without reference to the AIs themselves or even to the scientists and engineers who created them. Congress wanted legal protections in place immediately to stem destructive outbursts from xenophobic groups and, generally, they've worked well. However, issues with the definition of what classes an 'AI' in legal terms means that some laws fail to recognise just how difficult it is to kill them and the mind/body separation inherent in their nature.

Like all legislation, amending them to properly reflect reality is now bogged down in innumerable committees with poisonous whispers from pressure groups and lobbyists further muddying the waters.

It might be interesting if other parts of this necessarily hurried legislation may also be empowering criminal activity and criminalising otherwise-harmless activity.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #126 on: 22 Jul 2015, 09:26 »

That's a good point about the laws likely being in flux. The world works that way.

Another possibility is that it's one of those laws passed for no better reason than that the activity squicks people.

One of the richest people in the QC world is Station. He could run a charity for destitute AIs out of his own, uh, pocket even if nobody else was willing to help.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

katsmeat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #127 on: 22 Jul 2015, 14:57 »

Laws are made by politicians. Politicians often aren't the most knowledgeable people about the subjects they legislate, and at times make laws based upon prejudice rather than reasoned thought. Thus we often wind up with laws that are contradictory or downright nonsensical.

I suppose it's like Adultery and fornication being still illegal in South Carolina -  http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c015.php

Given how easy it was for Faye to find the place,  the police could easily do so if they wanted to.  Either they don't care or we'll be seeing Faye getting caught up in a bust, and Marten will be bailing her out of jail.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #128 on: 22 Jul 2015, 15:17 »

Saying that, she called it fighting for sport, a misnomer I think. For the AIs doing it it's actually fighting as a job and that's a big difference.  Fighting as a job when you would rather not, but have few or no other options must be all kinds of a shitty situation to be in.

There are professional sports, so I don't see the difference. Sport, job, whatever... fighting when you'd rather not sounds shitty.

GIven that it's illegal, there must presumably be some unsavory aspect to it... whether we get to see it remains to be seen.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #129 on: 22 Jul 2015, 16:13 »

I was unaware Faye wanted to be the chick from Total Recall.

I was thinking more along the lines of Eccentrica Galumbits

And I wonder if those Harddrives are MilSpec
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #130 on: 22 Jul 2015, 16:20 »

You mean overpriced and painted blue?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #131 on: 22 Jul 2015, 16:38 »

Don't know about his drive, but Higgs's bosom isn't in that great a shape.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #132 on: 22 Jul 2015, 16:42 »

I wonder if it was a collision with Large Hadron

:-D
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #133 on: 22 Jul 2015, 16:44 »

Not to be confused with Large Hardon, who competes in the other tournament.

wlewisiii

« Reply #134 on: 22 Jul 2015, 17:05 »

And I wonder if those Harddrives are MilSpec

I doubt that the AIs still use spinning metal platters. A head crash would be a nasty sudden death for an AI.

Mil-spec or Space radiation hardened SSD's (or even the next gen past them) would seem far more likely and more robust given the tech differences between the QC branch of the multi-verse and this one.
Emily is the Avatar.

DrBear

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Icon being from guest comic by the Hjinks Ensue.
    • Blog about my book
« Reply #135 on: 22 Jul 2015, 18:20 »

Just what Faye needs after Sven and Angus - another boob hanging around her.
I'm working on slashfic involving Lily from AT&T, Jan from Toyota and Jake from State Farm.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #136 on: 22 Jul 2015, 18:21 »

In the meantime, comic. Clearly Pintsize is more capable for mayhem than Bubbles, even if Bubbles is armored and 8ft tall.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #137 on: 22 Jul 2015, 18:30 »

Please do NOT let them get the idea of trading bodies, Please do NOT let them get the idea of trading bodies, Please do NOT let them get the idea of trading bodies, Please do NOT let them get the idea of trading bodies, Please do NOT let them get the idea of trading bodies, Please do NOT let them get the idea of trading bodies...
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

explicit

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • I'm unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #138 on: 22 Jul 2015, 19:08 »

No, they're just gonna pork.
"There's a lesson in everything if you're dumb enough"

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #139 on: 22 Jul 2015, 19:24 »

Please do NOT let them get the idea of trading bodies, Please do NOT let them get the idea of trading bodies, Please do NOT let them get the idea of trading bodies, Please do NOT let them get the idea of trading bodies, Please do NOT let them get the idea of trading bodies, Please do NOT let them get the idea of trading bodies...

We had enough of military issue Pintsize back in the day. We as in the QCVerse and surroundings.

Oh god it'd be so wrong please don't Jeff. pls.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #140 on: 22 Jul 2015, 19:25 »

No, they're just gonna pork.

No, they're going to trade bodies and THEN pork.  :evil:

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #141 on: 22 Jul 2015, 19:38 »

Dang, just realized I hadn't posted yet this week.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #142 on: 22 Jul 2015, 19:58 »

It just dawned on me that Faye wore a t-shirt and jeans to a job interview.

I should focus more on how she'll explain under the table income to the IRS.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #143 on: 22 Jul 2015, 20:35 »

If this storyline doesn't end with Marten somehow getting kicked in the junk by Vespabot, I will be highly disappointed.

Hmm. So what has Vespabot been up to lately? Owner in jail, no visible means of support...
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #144 on: 22 Jul 2015, 20:45 »

Nah, she's not in jail, she's working in a research lab.

Random832

« Reply #145 on: 22 Jul 2015, 20:57 »

Still, as I said before, the thing that's most likely to be illegal is the financial aspect of the whole thing. Never mind the gambling - the IRS frowns on people being paid under the table. Like, really seriously frowns. With their frowniest frowns.

See, I interpreted cause and effect the other way around: she's being paid under the table because it's illegal.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #146 on: 22 Jul 2015, 21:02 »

Because it's financially shady.

We don't comply with the tax code, which is illegal, so we pay under the table, which is also illegal.

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #147 on: 22 Jul 2015, 21:08 »

Nice thing about the Fifth amendment, as long as she files the income, she doesn't have to explain how she got it.  IRS don't care were the money comes from, only that they get the money.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #148 on: 22 Jul 2015, 21:12 »

Because it's financially shady.

We don't comply with the tax code, which is illegal, so we pay under the table, which is also illegal.

Enter the Car Wash.

In the real world, Faye could get away with under the table payments for a while, but eventually the IRS would get her. Jeph may or may not want to acknowledge this in his fictional world.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #149 on: 22 Jul 2015, 21:20 »

Nice thing about the Fifth amendment, as long as she files the income, she doesn't have to explain how she got it.  IRS don't care were the money comes from, only that they get the money.

Hint: don't try this at home, kiddies. The IRS will take your tax payment and then turn your name in to the relevant authorities. In Faye's case, it would be trivial to follow her to her place of work and bust the whole operation.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up