THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 03:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Oh Canada! What Strips Does Jeph Draw?

Faye gets the job! Her first day begins!
Bubbles' boss wants to see her in action before he makes an offer;
"Don't call us, we'll call you" but Bubbles has an idea for someone else who might use Faye's skills;
Pintsize shows Faye his 'combat' chassis for use when engaged in lovers' tornaments
Momo comes to visit her sister, Bubbles, and is surprised to find a familiar face!
Meet Arthur, Support Group Moderator and Announcer for Illegal Robot Deathmatches!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3006-3010 (20 to 24 July 2015)  (Read 28044 times)

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
Re: WCDT Strips 3006-3010 (20 to 24 July 2015)
« Reply #50 on: 21 Jul 2015, 01:22 »

I'm wondering who the target audience is.

Publicising this might set back the cause of AI rights quite a bit - various propaganda groups would have a field day. Especially with the spikes.

Before "Mad Max", there was... "The Cars That Ate Paris"

Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #51 on: 21 Jul 2015, 01:54 »

I've been looking at Corpse Witch's face and I agree with some guys on the Subreddit that it looks a little odd. I think the problem is that Jeph drew it as looking like a rigid metal or plastic plate but the features are too mobile. I wonder if she has a flexible and stretchy latex sheath over a more skeletal endoskeleton, the movements of which controls the appearance of her features, much like contemporary RL animatronics.

It's interesting that the battleAIs need to hire someone like Faye. Granted she has metalsmithing experience, but apparently they can't simply upload (or download, whichever) any skillset they need, the way the "unplugged" could do in The Matrix.

Or, maybe they just would rather not do the pounding and welding and spike-adding stuff themselves.

Or they enjoy the irony of the made (themselves) having makers (humans) as their servants (if well paid and extremely valued servants). I wonder if Faye will enjoy being ordered around by uppity fighting bots who want the 'Squishy' to grab them a can of 40-weight, set up the charger rack before she has a bathroom break or clean up that hydraulic fluid spill. Faye as a victim of racism in the workplace?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #52 on: 21 Jul 2015, 02:09 »

I suppose "squishy" is more polite than "meatbag".
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #53 on: 21 Jul 2015, 02:29 »

"The Cars That Ate Paris"

Taxis?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #54 on: 21 Jul 2015, 03:18 »

Or a Tesla Coil. That'd be neat.
So you're saying this story arc should include arcs?

You will fit in quite nicely here.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Wildroses

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #55 on: 21 Jul 2015, 05:26 »

Today's comic made me wonder how AIs get their names. Do they pick them themselves? As they don't really have a helpless baby intellectual stage the way humans do it seems plausible.

Basically I'm wondering if Bubbles and Corpse Witch were named before or after becoming a robot death fighter and a robot death fighter manager. Bubbles seems the sort of name you'd pick when you are young and silly with your life before you and don't realise it will include being a fighter in an underground robot fighting ring, while Corpse Witch is utterly perfect for the manager of an underground robot fighting ring.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #56 on: 21 Jul 2015, 05:33 »

'Bubbles' seems like the sort of name a silly person would choose for a pet, which makes me wonder what her first chassis was like. Quite possibly Bubbles was a companion-AnthroPC and had a Chibi-bot chassis like Momo's original.

I'm thinking that 'Corpse Witch' is what the other robots call her. Her real name and designation is... none of your business. I wouldn't be surprised if she powers down her IFF transponder and send all her WiFi signals through several proxies to make it harder to ascertain her real identity. Her nom de crime is probably a reference (partly admiring and partly horrified) to her ability to make a profit from violence and pain. I could see CW being a bit of a marginal figure amongst the fighting AIs and their associates, feared, admired and maybe even hated to a certain degree, for her business acumen and her iron grip on her 'business'.

In other words, the same sort of personality that a human who managed an illegal cage-fighting ring would need.
« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2015, 05:39 by BenRG »
~~~~

Roxtar

• Larger than most fish
  • Slacker
« Reply #57 on: 21 Jul 2015, 05:44 »

I love the "ow" in that frame.
You told us about your trigger. people informing others of their triggers is one of my triggers. please refrain from doing that again. Oh, I've just triggered myself... which sounds more enjoyable than it really is.

moriastar

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #58 on: 21 Jul 2015, 06:07 »

I think the real question would be would she make them permanent or not. Removable would be better to keep things hidden, but would make them weaker in a fight. There's also the question of where would the spikes be and how much damage would they be expected to make.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #59 on: 21 Jul 2015, 06:24 »

One [TECH] reason (not the reason, but just to demonstrate plausibility) would be that an AI neural net can't simply bolt on a different neural net and take off. Each network is self-organized and has a unique map of itself and its chassis. While it is relatively easy to remap the chassis map to something that is essentially the same shape (Momo's new body) becoming a fighter plane, or a dog, or a skilled welder, requires translating existing maps to the different hardware, and that requires training the neural net on how this works. That is, practice. In such a scheme, Momo would have had to practice being several times her previous size, and be comparatively clumsy, if not noticeably so.

Is it possible that there's even several levels of neural net, and May's is actually developed as a fighter jet neural net, with adaptations so she can function in a humanoid chassis, but it's not her "native" chassis (she has to run her fighter jet-native neural net in an emulator that she's constructed around herself, possibly)?

(There's precedence for this in humans, re: body maps not matching up with the body that some people are installed in - body integrity identity disorder comes to mind, among other disorders...)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #60 on: 21 Jul 2015, 06:29 »

If I am remembering correctly, May didn't have a name when she first appeared in Dale's life. She had him pick one for her, and decided to keep it. But we know that May had been in existence for a while. Long enough to have access to large amounts of money and decide to steal it to become a jet plane. And we know from a previous conversation with Momo that AIs, at least Anthro ones, don't 'think faster' than humans do. So May had to have been around for a while, long enough that you would think she had a name.

One theory could be that AIs take names to better interact with humans. So those who don't regularly interact may not use names in a traditional human sense. They might just have some identification code. Possibly an explanation why Momo immediately knew May was a prisoner in AI jail? She saw the ID code and recognized the appended part that marked May as a prisoner. All that said, AIs may take names to fit in with their partners, or by their own wishes.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #61 on: 21 Jul 2015, 09:10 »

My headcanon is that May had a name before she went to robojail... and then decided to leave it behind, because it was too associated with the  mistakes of her prior life and she wanted a new beginning.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #62 on: 21 Jul 2015, 09:21 »

I like how this arc is giving Jeph the chance to stretch his character design muscles. The colour scheme of Corpse Witch makes me happy.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #63 on: 21 Jul 2015, 09:24 »

I'm thinking that 'Corpse Witch' is what the other robots call her. Her real name and designation is... none of your business. I wouldn't be surprised if she powers down her IFF transponder and send all her WiFi signals through several proxies to make it harder to ascertain her real identity.

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

KOK

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • We are many who are few
« Reply #64 on: 21 Jul 2015, 10:34 »

Makes total sense, since Bubbles doesn't need an intimidating name - her large frame and strong plating are intimidating enough.

"Do people tease you about your name often ?"
"No. Only once."
Quote from: Marten
You're cute when you're reasonable.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #65 on: 21 Jul 2015, 10:47 »

Life ain't easy for a boy named Sue killbot named Bubbles.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #66 on: 21 Jul 2015, 13:15 »

I'm wondering who the target audience is.

Publicising this might set back the cause of AI rights quite a bit - various propaganda groups would have a field day. Especially with the spikes.

Before "Mad Max", there was... "The Cars That Ate Paris"

That was great! It was on Channel 4 in the old days i.e. the first 6 months when it was different from every other channel.  God I feel old.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #67 on: 21 Jul 2015, 15:58 »

I think that this is one of those 'Illegal' sports that the Govt turns a blind eye to unless it becomes too much of a nuisance or irritation to the general public and more law abiding AI's
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #68 on: 21 Jul 2015, 18:18 »

Hmm, Faye concerned by the well-being of the bots was not something I expected.

For some reason, I read CW's lines at the end as if she was some calm mob capo or something like that.
Meh, if you have to run fsck, you're already fscked.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #69 on: 21 Jul 2015, 18:22 »

Don't know about Faye's first goal, but her second goal could be accomplished with some help from May...  :evil:
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #70 on: 21 Jul 2015, 18:25 »

I doubt May would really want to be a helicopter. They're pretty different to Fighter Jets. Maybe a VTOL?

Also, I just noticed that dedbot is called Higgs. I wonder if in the QCVerse he'll help find the Higgs Boson. Would be nice.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #71 on: 21 Jul 2015, 18:33 »

Of course, the real money isn't made by the bots who do the actual fighting. It's made by gambling on the fights. That's probably the illegal part of the whole deal.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

electromgneticDstroyosaur

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #72 on: 21 Jul 2015, 18:36 »

I envision fan artists hard at work as we speak, for new material arises: Faye with three tits and a helicopter.  It will be glorious.
Just remember the 3 V's:  volume, vehemence, and venom.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #73 on: 21 Jul 2015, 18:41 »

...I wasn't expecting Corpse Witch to have an ethical objection to her business.  It's not a very strong one, but still, it's like hearing "in a perfect world, there'd be no boxing" from Mickey.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
  • All Your Marriage Are Belong to Everyone
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #74 on: 21 Jul 2015, 18:48 »

Lots of people have "in a perfect world" ethical views of their business. They don't necessarily object to their business on that ground. They just acknowledge that their business would not exist if not for the vice.

For ex, I'm sure you could get Lockheed Martin execs to say that there'd be no need for their weapon systems in a perfect world. I bet very few lose any sleep over the people those weapons kill.

emilygrrl

• Plantmonster
« Reply #75 on: 21 Jul 2015, 18:50 »

WHYYYYYY would anyone want 3 tits? In this society, you'd be labelled a freak for it.
Quote from: Faye, strip 1462
Aww, it's been FOREVER since I've had to punch you! What a delightful wave of nostalgia!

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #76 on: 21 Jul 2015, 18:56 »

So, if her pay is under the table, would it still be beneficial for Faye to claim it on her income tax? The government might get suspicious  if she has a long period of no work, no EI claims, and so forth. Maybe she could start her own "company" and claim it as "freelance metalwork for a private individual" or something.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #77 on: 21 Jul 2015, 19:08 »

ahahahahaha
as if the government gives a **** about the long-term unemployed.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #78 on: 21 Jul 2015, 19:12 »

I doubt May would really want to be a helicopter. They're pretty different to Fighter Jets. Maybe a VTOL?

Also, I just noticed that dedbot is called Higgs. I wonder if in the QCVerse he'll help find the Higgs Boson. Would be nice.

Or maybe Boson is his tag team partner  :-P

So, if her pay is under the table, would it still be beneficial for Faye to claim it on her income tax? The government might get suspicious  if she has a long period of no work, no EI claims, and so forth. Maybe she could start her own "company" and claim it as "freelance metalwork for a private individual" or something.

Unless they pay her by check and leave a papertrail of some sort, then she'd be perfectly fine. Cash isn't traceable, and as St.Clair pointed out, the gov probably only cares if you're blatantly working the system.

osaka

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #79 on: 21 Jul 2015, 19:15 »

But who would Higgs-Boson fight?

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #80 on: 21 Jul 2015, 19:28 »

Unless they pay her by check and leave a papertrail of some sort, then she'd be perfectly fine. Cash isn't traceable, and as St.Clair pointed out, the gov probably only cares if you're blatantly working the system.

I suppose if you aren't costing them anything. And it would make tax filing easier if there is just a bunch of zeroes.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #81 on: 21 Jul 2015, 19:34 »

As Scarface learned the hard way, don't fuck with the IRS, especially not where your primary income's concerned.  Just put it under "other income" and hope to stay under their radar.  As a matter of policy, they don't start digging unless they think they're not getting all of it, and even then they can't turn over what they find unless you're already being investigated.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #82 on: 21 Jul 2015, 19:56 »

The private individual better file a 1099 if the amount of compensation is over 1K. Both contractor and the one that hires her can get in major IRS trouble otherwise.

Maybe Faye can buy a car wash to launder the profits.

jheartney

• Cthulhu f'tagn
« Reply #83 on: 21 Jul 2015, 20:01 »

Lots of ways you can get in very bad trouble for large cash transactions. If you attempt to deposit large quantities of cash in a bank, they have to report it to the IRS, who will want to know where you got it. If you try to split your cash into smaller amounts to keep them from asking, this is called "structuring," and people go to jail for it. For real.

mustang6172

• Duck attack survivor
  • Citizen First Class
« Reply #84 on: 21 Jul 2015, 20:03 »

Why does Faye's perfect world include a third tit?  Is this tit in an unexpected place?

Game and Watch Forever

• The German Chancellory building
  • Tentacle Party!!!
« Reply #85 on: 21 Jul 2015, 20:35 »

Well, it's certainly not wherever the extra dongs go...

DonInKansas

• FIGHT YOU
  • Grammar Nazi
« Reply #86 on: 21 Jul 2015, 21:11 »

I was unaware Faye wanted to be the chick from Total Recall.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2015, 16:11 by Kugai »
I mean, it would still suck, but at least it would suck creatively.

Omega Entity

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #87 on: 21 Jul 2015, 22:43 »

The private individual better file a 1099 if the amount of compensation is over 1K. Both contractor and the one that hires her can get in major IRS trouble otherwise.

Maybe Faye can buy a car wash to launder the profits.

Huh. I just assumed it was much like selling stuff - Amazon doesn't even give me tax documents for, I think it's anything under $20k total earnings per year either/or 200 transactions in a year.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #88 on: 21 Jul 2015, 22:45 »

Why does Faye's perfect world include a third tit?  Is this tit in an unexpected place?
I can think of a reason but it seems out of character for Faye, and for the comic. And having been reprimanded for a perfectly harmless joke about Marigold, I'm not going to put it here.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #89 on: 21 Jul 2015, 23:03 »

Harmlessness is in the eye of the beholder. Or, in this case, the guy who pays for the site. As I once said with regard to another commenter on the subject, "Jeph can pee in his own sink, if he wants. He can draw dongs on the walls of his house, if he so chooses. You can't." You're a guest and the guest rules are "no peeing in the sinks or drawing dongs on the walls."

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #90 on: 21 Jul 2015, 23:20 »

It's kind of depressing seeing AIs ape the worst of human behavior, including self-deceit. Corpse Witch is likely telling the truth about their being no overt coercion. However, she also admits that her fighters may not be able to get work elsewhere; so there is a subtle coercion there -'Fight or be destitute'. Exploitation of the desperate is an old, old tactic for the unethical business-being. It is the basis for sweatshops and exploitation worldwide.

Yeah, I don't like CW in the slightest.

It's too early to wonder where this may go in the long run. However, if Bubbles is an ex-companion AnthroPC, I can see her and Faye ending up as room-mates, although the path to that point would be complex.

ahahahahaha
as if the government gives a **** about the long-term unemployed.

They care if you suddenly stop paying tax; that's practically the only thing that they care about. If Faye is officially unemployed and yet isn't receiving state support, some bureaucrat may get suspicious enough to investigate!

Yeah, I think that you'll find that Faye was using humorous exaggeration for emphasis.
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #91 on: 21 Jul 2015, 23:30 »

I can't help but think that Corpse Witch kind of evaded a question: does anyone get hurt (i.e. suffer pain)?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

snubnose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Cape diem
    • Google
« Reply #92 on: 21 Jul 2015, 23:36 »

Hmm.

I dont get what the point of a third boob would be.  :?

And Faye cant really complain about the boobs god/nature/the flying spaghetti monster/the force/whatever else you wanna believe in has given her.
Carpe Diem

chaospersonified

• Duck attack survivor
  • My brain's wired weird
    • My art blog
« Reply #93 on: 21 Jul 2015, 23:40 »

The point of a third boob is that there's three of them now. More boobs = yay yay happy fun times.

Duh.
There's at least a 27% chance I'm full of shit
synesthetictranslations.tumblr.com
AlsoPersonifyingChaos

Stoon

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #94 on: 21 Jul 2015, 23:53 »

May isn't involved in this operation already?

Secondly, Faye wants to be Eccentrica Gallumbits?

Lubricus

• Beyoncé
« Reply #95 on: 22 Jul 2015, 00:11 »

May isn't involved in this operation already?

Well, she really shouldn't be involved in anything illegal right now...
What do you know about Pokémon?

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #96 on: 22 Jul 2015, 00:13 »

CW's explanation paints a pretty bleak picture: obsolete fighter/security/military robots don't have the money to change chassis into something more useful, like a companion, and no legal way of making that money.

Perhaps there are charities meant to help them with that? Perhaps Clinton could get involved. Would be a good way for character development for him.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #97 on: 22 Jul 2015, 01:13 »

Most screwball storyline we've had in a while. I can dig it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #98 on: 22 Jul 2015, 01:21 »

CW's explanation paints a pretty bleak picture: obsolete fighter/security/military robots don't have the money to change chassis into something more useful, like a companion, and no legal way of making that money.

She tries to soft-soap it as a lifestyle choice but I'm not sure that I buy that.

Perhaps there are charities meant to help them with that? Perhaps Clinton could get involved. Would be a good way for character development for him.

Unlikely. Although the QC-verse seems to be fairly enlightened in terms of civil rights, remember how long it's been and still similar laws regarding race and gender in the real world are not really reflected in society as a whole. I'm pretty sure that there is a significant subsection of the population that still regard AIs as vacuum cleaners with ideas above their station. Any charity to help them would be facing an enormous uphill struggle just not to be a target of reactionary politicians and grass-roots hate campaigns.
~~~~

ReindeerFlotilla

• Scrabble hacker
    • Singular Blues
« Reply #99 on: 22 Jul 2015, 02:00 »

Hmm.

I dont get what the point of a third boob would be.  :?

The nipple.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up