THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 25 Apr 2024, 02:36
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: BEST GAME EVER (played)!  (Read 48254 times)

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« on: 23 Dec 2004, 14:16 »

It's only fair....

A game I haven't been able to put down lately is Tales of Symphonia.  I <3 RPGs, and that you take such a role in battle RT is my fave aspect.  The character designs and unlockables make it a good play... even past the 100 hr. mark.

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2004, 15:46 »

My favorite game ever played will always be River City Ransom. Nothing beats rolling through a city pounding the snot out of your own age group that inhabit said city. Man... good times, there.
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2004, 16:18 »

i don't remember RSR...i had little in the way of older system games.

that said i think GTA:  san andres.  mostly for the non-violent aspects though the violent ones in the game are fun as well

Riot

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2004, 16:42 »

Oh man, I loved River City Ransom. Me and my sister played that game for hours on end. I loved Super dodge Ball too, so much that it makes me wonder why Technos Japan doesn't really make games anymore... but I guess they really must have not sold that well for whatever reason.

Blaster Master was another one I played a lot of. Never beat that game, it got so difficult, and it was one of those older games with a limited number of continues.

Lately I've been playing a lot of Sid Meier's Pirates! It's really good. Also EverQuest II, but the game is so buggy right now I can't fully recommend it. It's way fun though despite it all, if MMORPGs are your thing.

lb969

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2004, 17:42 »

NWN

started playing when the FIRST came out, im STILL playing it... it is ADDICTIVE when you play multi....

ForteBass

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #5 on: 23 Dec 2004, 17:50 »

Technos doesn't make games because they no longer exist, dude.  RCR EX was put out by Atlas.

But yeah, RCR is addictive. Even after you're stats are full, you just keep taking kids' money Hehehe
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

Hairy Joe Bob

• FIGHT YOU
  • shame machine
    • Pete Strong - Writer & Artist
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #6 on: 23 Dec 2004, 18:03 »

Either Baldur's Gate 2 or else Morrowind.

And Pro Evo 4 kicks ass.
What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross.

flowers for charlie

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #7 on: 23 Dec 2004, 18:05 »

Chrono Trigger?

Digs

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #8 on: 23 Dec 2004, 20:41 »

Hm. Tricky.

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2004, 00:44 »

i have no idea.

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2004, 09:48 »

I always wanted to play RCR... alas I may have to get a gameboy sp to get EX....

church

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2004, 09:54 »

Bubble Bobble. Video gaming reached perfection in 1986 and it's been down hill ever since then.

Tasty Panda

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2004, 10:10 »

Favorite game ever would have to be Star Control 2.

Hands down.

Riot

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2004, 10:26 »

Quote from: church
Bubble Bobble. Video gaming reached perfection in 1986 and it's been down hill ever since then.

Bubble Bobble was frickin' awesome too. I kept looking for that game on Game Boy when I finally got one, years ago... but could only find wierd offshoot titles that were named the same but were not actually the same type of gameplay. o.O

What was up with Super Dodge Ball in the arcade, btw? Was that also made by Technos Japan? It was so different and... crappy. In the arcade.

Funny if you go through all of Technos Japan's releases on NES... they like recycle the same BGM for like all of their titles lol.

Thal

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #14 on: 24 Dec 2004, 13:20 »

I cant narrow it down to one so I will make a small list:

Baldurs Gate 2 - RPG perfection if you ask me. Played it trough twice so far and enjoy every single minute of it (that adds up to hours and hours).

Diablo 2 - Cant say that this is the best game out there. Its braindead, simple and SO DAMN addictive. Played it on and off since the release and just quit it for the 3rd time (deleting everything I got each time). I blame friends online for making me stay with this game for so long.

Half-Life - Best FPS game ever if you ask me (closly followed by HL2).

GTA:VS - Dont need to say why.

synecdoche

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #15 on: 24 Dec 2004, 18:17 »

River City Ransom truly was a god among games.  

I was also a fan of Sid Meier's Pirates-- I see there is a new version out, too.  Does anybody know if it is any good?

I liked it when games were nice and uncomplicated.  My brain can't keep up with fifty buttons and such.  RCR was great because it was a classic example of "walk around the streets of slum city and bash people" with the stores added as a little twist.

Tasty Panda

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #16 on: 24 Dec 2004, 19:01 »

Yeah, the new version of Pirates! is totally sweet.  I highly recommend it.

ForteBass

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #17 on: 24 Dec 2004, 19:05 »

I did not know we had so many RCR fans in this joint! Rock on kids! <3!

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #18 on: 24 Dec 2004, 19:26 »

best oldschool arcade game: bubble bobble, for realz

best arcade game: street fighter 2 (and all the subsequent versions)

best fps: halflife 2.  apart from the ending, this is absolute goddamn gold

best rts: starcraft with the broodwar add-on, hands-down the best-balanced RTS i've played

best scrolling shooter: ikaruga.  simple idea, pulled off absolutely awesomely.

best MMORPG: i'm gonna have to say World of Warcraft.  i mean, i've only played Everquest, Final Fantasy XI online, City Of Heroes, Guild Wars & WoW, but as far as i can see, FFXI was pretty much the best ever, and for me WoW has beaten it.  they haven't done it with flashy graphics, they've done it with cool gameplay.  i'm close to level 20, and for me it still mostly feels like a really good single-player RPG that just so happens to have these other dudes running around in it that you can team up with sometimes.  i mean, ask me again in 30 more levels & i can give you a better comparison to high-end EQ gameplay.  but so far it's got FFXI's 1-20 gameplay beat.

Staplegun

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #19 on: 24 Dec 2004, 19:27 »

I LOVED Bubble Bobble!

My current obsession is Half-Life 2, ignoring it's brevity, of course.

Kjammer

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #20 on: 25 Dec 2004, 20:06 »

Using My friend's NES, I got into "Bubble Bobble", and "Air Fortress."  
When growing up I played Sid Mier's Civilization (for DOS)

Fast forward one decade, "Final Fantasy XI" kept me busy for nine straight months, longer than any other game (don't play it anymore :().  
I am currently into "Halflife 2" and "Rome: Total War."

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #21 on: 25 Dec 2004, 21:07 »

Most fun game I've ever played(that I've played in the last week, so it's still fresh in my mind):

Katamari Damacy

Most perfectly crafted game in the history of video games as we know them:

Super Metroid
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

Spike

• FIGHT YOU
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #22 on: 26 Dec 2004, 00:11 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
Most fun game I've ever played(that I've played in the last week, so it's still fresh in my mind):

Katamari Damacy

Quote from: Joe Salton, a spam bot
I have seen all Internet.
Do or die, guys!

Digs

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #23 on: 26 Dec 2004, 14:41 »

Yeah, that's probably the way to do it. If you break it into categories, you can select the greatest games of all time. But not the greatest game.

fin

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #24 on: 26 Dec 2004, 16:07 »

I'm a sucker for the GTA series. The original GTA, on pc kicked ass,it was the game that got me into games. It was great to play and easy to mod if you were sad like me. I'd probally still be playing if today the cd hadnt exploded my cdrom :/

GTA VC and SA are both pretty sweet, as was GTAIII, but the PS2 dosent match up to the PC - the graphics arent as good, and i miss aiming with the mouse and being able make the cars stupid fast, IMO the story and charachters in vice city were betterthan san andreas too - i cant wait till SA comes out on the PC, but until then i'd say my favorite all time game is GTA VC.

The only other games that come close for me are the quake series, maybe mario kart double dash(gamecube) or colin mcrae 2(psx) for multiplayerness, but then again i havent played a whole lot of games.

Oerdin

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #25 on: 27 Dec 2004, 00:20 »

For best game ever I'd have to go with Civilization 2 or X-Com.  Those two are just 90's classics which are still worth playing now and then.

AndSheeWas

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #26 on: 27 Dec 2004, 07:08 »

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

I think we can all agree that this discussion is now closed.

Samgam Gamalan

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #27 on: 27 Dec 2004, 07:23 »

Morrowind for eva! Not only is it so big you have to play through it 3 times to fully appreciate it, it is the only game i've ever gone wandering about the countryside to sightsee. Plus it has none of the shitcocks that infest MMOs.

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #28 on: 27 Dec 2004, 09:15 »

Ico.  The game made me cry.  No other game has ever done that.

Freespace 2, maybe.  I'm playing it again, and it's just so amazingly good.

XCom was pretty much the business too.  Scared the crap out of me.  I made the series extra psychologically damaging by renaming all my troops to names of my good friends.  So I'd have to send my good buddy Simon out into the hall to eat plasma, not just some faceless grunt.

I can't decide.
UNF.

Mnementh

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #29 on: 27 Dec 2004, 11:10 »

Space Invaders on the Atari

LiterSize

• Curry sauce
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #30 on: 27 Dec 2004, 11:12 »

Quote from: Trinary
Ico.

How did the game end?  I don't have a ps2 but played a demo of it (I thought it was a pretty sweet game) and am curious.

torg

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #31 on: 27 Dec 2004, 11:17 »

Arcanum, Fallout II, Planescape: Torment, and all the Wing Commanders :)

Digs

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #32 on: 27 Dec 2004, 11:51 »

Quote from: Trinary
Ico.
I never got through that. The girl was clearly some kind of super space idiot.

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #33 on: 27 Dec 2004, 19:55 »

Argh.  How does it end?  It ends well.  I don't know how much is in the demo, but there's a ton of dark vs.light, life vs. death imagery and associations going on through the game, especially the last parts.  The more I think about it, the more amazing I find the game.  Once again, mostly because of the ending.  I'm really hesitant to give it away for anyone, because I really think it would detract from the experience.  It was one of the most satisfying storytelling experiences ever, for me, and I don't know that I can adequately explain why.  That includes books, movies, plays, opera, etc.

And here's where people respond, "Bah the end sucked nothing that amazing happened." and I become depressed.  The game had me in its grip from the opening cinematic.  The first time Yorda got attacked I jumped up off the couch (still holding the controller and playing) like someone had slapped my sister.  I was absolutely furious with the monster.  Not the game, not the designers, that specific monster.

EDIT: Digs, you are clearly lacking a soul. :(  There were one or two rooms where getting her in the right place was difficult, but that's it.
UNF.

Johnny C

• Mentat
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #34 on: 27 Dec 2004, 22:08 »

Quote from: synecdoche
I was also a fan of Sid Meier's Pirates-- I see there is a new version out, too.  Does anybody know if it is any good?

I grew up with Pirates! since it was my dad's favourite NES game. He actually has the map memorized. It is quite funny. And we have another NES, so he spends marathons on it sometimes. He is very good.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

Ozymandias

• Older than Moses
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #35 on: 28 Dec 2004, 01:22 »

I actually made a Top 5 List of the best games of the year that were generally ignored by the public and mostly forgotten by the industry.

The new Pirates! was number 3.

I loooooooove that game.
You are 9/11.
You are the terrorist.

flowers for charlie

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #36 on: 28 Dec 2004, 02:59 »

Quote from: Ozymandias
The new Pirates!

are you fucking kidding me.   oh man.

oh man.  a new one?  oh man.  how did i not hear about this.

sexybob37

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #37 on: 28 Dec 2004, 15:22 »

Shadows of Yserbius. Ignored, insulted, imitated. Old game, but I love it. First game I ever played(not including math blaster), and I still love it. Hard to nowadays, being that the underdogs had to take it down, and you can't buy it anywhere, except by contacting the original creator.

KID

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #38 on: 28 Dec 2004, 19:39 »

Final fantasy IX is my favorite game ever. i am one of the few people i have ever heard of who re-plays RPG's for fun.

then again, i think my life is crap and RPG's are a great escape, ans so are consequently take up most of my small library of games (my friends get mad because i have so few multiplayer titles)

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #39 on: 29 Dec 2004, 10:07 »

hey FF 9 had multiplayer combat i think.  it's also (one of) my favorite(s) of the FF rpg games.

Taim

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #40 on: 29 Dec 2004, 12:59 »

Chrono Trigger.

KID

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #41 on: 29 Dec 2004, 13:35 »

true it had multiplayer combat

but that was a dumb idea to begin with

Digs

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #42 on: 30 Dec 2004, 03:46 »

That's hardly fair. Look at Secret of Mana and FFCC. If you want to stretch it a bit, you could cite LoZ: Four Swords or even co-op first person shooters. Hell, any co-op game.

Switchblade

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • WTF was I thinking when I picked this name?
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #43 on: 30 Dec 2004, 08:56 »

I'm suffering from dawn of War withdrawal right now - My home PC can't play it, and the only time I ever played it was at my best friend's house.

Now I'm pale, shaky, and can't go out in the sun without my eyes watering and my nose peeling.

oh, wait, no, that's what I'm like normally...
ROCK MORE, ROLL MORE, LURK MOAR

happybirthdaygelatin

• The Tickler
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #44 on: 30 Dec 2004, 12:19 »

Quote from: Digs
That's hardly fair. Look at Secret of Mana and FFCC. If you want to stretch it a bit, you could cite LoZ: Four Swords or even co-op first person shooters. Hell, any co-op game.

oh man, secret of mana was multiplayer?  i really now feel like i missed out.  is FFCC worth the single player alone or is it a group of friends and ze bucket that make it solid?  rare is the time i can multiplayer it up.  though when i have the friends and i tend to end up playing "Link toss" instead of advancing.

oh and i think was referring to ffIX only.

Trinary

• Emoticontraindication
BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #45 on: 30 Dec 2004, 14:21 »

I wouldn't get Crystal Chronicles for just single player, but if you can find 3 people to join in, it is awesome.  Especially tough boss fights and stuff, where it requires coordinated spell casting (multi-caster combo spells with particular effects), healing, physical attacks and bucket management.  It's glorious.  Everyone's yelling and running around at the same time:

"Who has Life?  We need a Holy on that ghost, I combo with Fire, ON THREE!"
"Bucket is heading toward the cliff, everyone move!"
"Charging Ice on that Orc, everyone with ice combo for blizzaga!"
"That bomb dude went down, everyone get away from it!"

Single player is just you and a moogle, which is cool--but just not cool enough.

A DS version is coming eventually, and thinking about that makes me very happy.
UNF.

Digs

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #46 on: 30 Dec 2004, 14:52 »

Secret of Mana was, if I am not mistaken, the first contemporary multiplayer roleplaying game.

Nintendo wants you to have at least four friends.

Forks667

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #47 on: 30 Dec 2004, 20:26 »

Uhh.. I don't think I can put a best game ever.. I can just list a lot of really really GOOD games.  But that would be a long list of such awesome that some of you might explode from the sheer JOY it would bring to your lives.  I don't want any exploding people.  Unless you want me to make you explode.  Then I will do it.

mr_bowen2000

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #48 on: 30 Dec 2004, 21:04 »

Favorite PC game: Freelancer  (easy-to-mod open ended space games rule)

Favorite console game:  The original Super Smash Bros.  A friend and I rented it right after it came out, and played it for eight straight hours.  No bathroom breaks, no snack breaks, just bashing each others' heads out.  It's a shame that the graphics are sobad I can't stand to look at it anymore.

Favorite handheld game: Super Mario 64 DS.  Awesome remake of the original on the NDS, it kicks butt.

Savai

BEST GAME EVER (played)!
« Reply #49 on: 30 Dec 2004, 21:31 »

Gotta say, no game has ever immersed me as much as the original KOTOR (haven't beat the second one yet).  Seriously, never saw the twist coming, and what a great one it was after that.  After I found out what was going on, my character suddenly became a baddass!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up