THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:20
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What's your favorite sf novel? Why?  (Read 2301 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
What's your favorite sf novel? Why?
« on: 26 Aug 2015, 22:28 »

"The City and the Stars", by Arthur Clarke.

It's a shining example of sense of wonder and human insight, and I read it at a tender age.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: What's your favorite sf novel? Why?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Aug 2015, 00:07 »

Science fiction has been the mainstay of my reading throughout my life, and many ideas that have helped form my thinking have come from such books.  I started with the classics of Jules Verne and HG Wells and continued by devouring Asimov, Clarke and their peers at university in the 1960s.  It's hard to pick just one; and the one I pick (which is slightly more recent again) I read less now, both because I know it too well, and because it's done its job:  John Brunner's The Shockwave Rider.

Snapping at the heels of that is an earlier classic with the awesome aim of displaying in one sweep a history of humanity until its extinction, demonstrating how there could be a "human spirit" that survives as a thread through evolutionary and engineered changes to the species.  It was written in the 1930s, but even the fact that it starts by getting the history of the next ten years wrong does not diminish it:  Olaf Stapledon's Last and First Men.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #2 on: 27 Aug 2015, 01:02 »

I couldn't possibly say off the top of my head.

But I think the most influential on me, would probably be Guns Of Tanith by Dan Abnett.

I read a lot when I was a child, but I think that was what started me on my actual road to becoming a fan of Sci-Fi, and led to me still freelancing book reviews to this day.

It's in the Gaunt's Ghosts series, it's actually the fifth one, from Games Workshop. I still read White Dwarf at the time and read a gripping passage of it they printed there, and went and bought the book.

It's got brutal violence, good one-liners, a murder mystery, political intrigue, espionage, I still consider it the best book in the whole series frankly.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

The Seldom Killer

• Only pretending to work
  • More witless shite ----->
« Reply #3 on: 27 Aug 2015, 02:00 »

Pattern Recognition - William Gibson

A difficult choice above others but it wins by an edge. There's a lot of fantastic storytelling in SF, a lot of it through the art of constructing an alternate universe with different rules and systems. However, writing SF in the current universe and in a contemporary period was something that I found just beautifully astounding. It's a great, rarely tapped resource for SF and I hope to see more of it.

BeoPuppy

• ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
  • Scare a moose, will you do the fandango?
    • Me.
« Reply #4 on: 27 Aug 2015, 08:15 »

Dune. The original 6 novels, obviously. Can't explain it. These are novels which have gripped me since age ... 12, or something, and I re-read bits every year. I guess Herbert wrote some truthful novels about politics and economics. but then with lasers and sandworms.
My Art.
I was into Stumpy and the Cuntfarts before they sold out.

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2015, 14:18 »

Dwellers In The Crucible by Margaret Wander Bonnano

One of the best Trek novels I've ever read and has one of the most interesting, and very mature storylines for Trek.

James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.
Pages: [1]   Go Up