THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zero Escape  (Read 4746 times)

questionablydiscontent

• Balloon animal serial killer
Zero Escape
« on: 14 Sep 2015, 08:30 »

Who else is excited about Zero Escape 3?

For those who are curious what that is:

Zero Escape is hard to place in one genre:
It's a visual novel with puzzles and horror;
But it's psychological rather than gory,
And the narrative is beautiful, as is the story.
Play through multiple ends: you can't win in one [go]
And when you get the True End, it's a total mindblow

That was a shitty, 5-minute poem, but you get the idea. I love puzzle games, and I enjoy a little psychological horror, but it's the way this story unfolds and pieces come together in a crazy twist that is wonderful... The second installment (Virtue's Last Reward) is actually full of crazy twists. While that is really fun, it does come off as a bit commercialized. Even though I love the lead female character in VLR, I would say that the first installment of Zero Escape (Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors) is my favorite. Probably my favorite game of all time, or at least in the top 3. (Oh! And just FYI, you should play 999 on the DS if you can. The next two games are/will be for 3DS or PS Vita, and there are/should be pros and cons to each console.)
Initially, the developers had cut the funding, so it was really exciting when Zero Escape 3 was announced on July 3 to be released next summer! The previous game really led up to this one, so it's going to be exciting... For a while, it was even voted as the most anticipated game of 2015.

Anyway, feel free to rant about this game, using spoiler tags whenever necessary, or maybe just use this thread to ask why Zero Escape games are worth your money.

questionablydiscontent

Re: Zero Escape
« Reply #1 on: 14 Sep 2015, 08:32 »

Hopefully there isn't another thread for this series already, but I didn't see anything. Will delete if needed.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #2 on: 17 Sep 2015, 21:26 »

I hadn't heard about it, until earlier tonight.

I'm intrigued, but it's hard for me to play games via mobile. Still, that's one glowing recommendation that intrigues the hell out of me, so...

questionablydiscontent

« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2015, 21:19 »

If you look up 999 reviews, you might find yourself even more intrigued... Just looking up "999 review" on Google, I found a lot of positive reviews (I didn't see the one that originally got me interested in buying the game, though). Here's a pretty fair review that might give you an idea of some pros and cons: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/8522-Review-9-Hours-9-Persons-9-Doors

And if you want to get a feel for the gameplay itself, this should give you some idea of what the game is like:
http://www.aksysgames.com/999/pages/demo
(The main differences in the demo are that Akane is introduced earlier and that the scenes are animated.)

999 only requires you to play 2 endings to get the True End, but you might as well get the rest as well... admittedly, one of the endings is pretty average for a horror game, but the other endings are all pretty crazy.

I hope you decide to buy the game! There's still time to play the other two games before the third installment comes out... and I'd love to be able to rant with some people!  :-D
Pages: [1]   Go Up