Pizza!!!
Leaning Tower of Pizza
Invasion Of The Pizza Men
Pizza The Hutt
Next delivery project - Chinese
Pizza with a chance of Garlic Bread
Purple Monkey Pizza Delivery Boy

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3051-3055 (21th to 25th September 2015)  (Read 30253 times)

Kugai

• CIA Handler of Miss Melody Powers
  • Awakened
  • Crazy Kiwi Shoujo-Ai Fan
    • My Homepage
Re: WCDT Strips 3051-3055 (21th to 25th September 2015)
« Reply #200 on: 06 Oct 2015, 20:30 »

Then again, there are instances of names becoming unintentionally funny or otherwise.

The example I use was of a, I think, Vietnamese Restaurant opened many years ago where I live. I think they were recent Immigrants or Refugees. They used, I think, their name and the word Restaurant on the big sign   Thing was, the name was Phuc Yu Restaurant.

It took them a while to realise the unintentional pun/joke, but six or seven months later, they changed the name.

And yes, I am aware of the Wong Fook Hing Bookshop thank you very much!
James The Kugai 

You can never have too much Coffee.

Method of Madness

• His Dudeness, or Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
  • Globe Moderator
  • Awakened
  • The Bootysattva
    • Me!
« Reply #201 on: 07 Oct 2015, 09:10 »

Pho King is the best pho pun, and it has the benefit of visually slipping by the censors.
They call me Mr. Madness.

Quote from: Polonius
Though this be madness, yet there is method in't.
MR ARCHIVE-FU MADNESS
Does anybody really know what time it is?
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

A_S00

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #202 on: 07 Oct 2015, 12:52 »

So it's basically "fff" followed by a pause? Because "low rising" on that vowel is removing it altogether.
Looks like it's actually "low falling-rising" (Vietnamese hỏi tone) rather than "low rising" if that helps.  Why would the tone remove the vowel?

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #203 on: 08 Oct 2015, 22:32 »

Then again, there are instances of names becoming unintentionally funny or otherwise.

The example I use was of a, I think, Vietnamese Restaurant opened many years ago where I live. I think they were recent Immigrants or Refugees. They used, I think, their name and the word Restaurant on the big sign   Thing was, the name was Phuc Yu Restaurant.

It took them a while to realise the unintentional pun/joke, but six or seven months later, they changed the name.

There's a restaurant here in San Francisco called "Phuket Thai" that's had that name forever. Apparently "Phuket" is not actually pronounced anything like "Fuck it".

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #204 on: 08 Oct 2015, 23:01 »

IIRC, "Phuket" is a place in Thailand, and is pronounced more closely to "pu kay"
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up