Jeph Jacques's comics discussion forums

• 08 Apr 2020, 03:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Jephs Top 10  (Read 13437 times)

Reno

Jephs Top 10
« on: 26 Dec 2004, 19:24 »

......I have only heard music from one of those bands (The Arcade Fire)

jhum101

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #1 on: 26 Dec 2004, 20:26 »

that ratatat album is pretty fucking sweet. one of my friends showed it to us sometime in March. But it was nice to see on Jeph's list, as it is fairly unknown

Mercurial

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #2 on: 26 Dec 2004, 23:34 »

It's a good list, covering a nice range of styles.  I even got an IDM tip, as I'd bypassed that new Mouse on Mars until now, though I used to love some of their older albums.  Good to know that "Radical Connector" is up to snuff.

Oerdin

• Curry sauce
Jephs Top 10
« Reply #3 on: 26 Dec 2004, 23:38 »

Same here.  I own Arcade but none of the others.

synecdoche

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #4 on: 27 Dec 2004, 00:16 »

lessee... I've heard Arcade Fire, Iron and Wine, Dungen, Modest Mouse, and Fiery Furnaces.  I didn't like the Arcade Fire at first, but damn if it hasn't grown on me!  I'm not as into the electronic stuff as Jeph is, but this is a great list-- all the bands I know are definitely worth listening to.  I love Dungen.  I can't understand a word they say, but it is great music.

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
Jephs Top 10
« Reply #5 on: 27 Dec 2004, 01:22 »

jeph is very on the ball with this list with the exception of the futureheads, who's album may as well be called 'post-punk for people who don't like post punk'.

do yourself a favour and buy 'solid gold' by gang of four or 'chairs missing' by wire. or if those bands are too british for you check out anything by mission of burma.
Quote from: Ozymandias
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

Thal

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #6 on: 27 Dec 2004, 01:29 »

Its a good list and I enjoy quite a few of the bands (those I know).
The rest I have been checking out and so far I have liked all I found.

Must bu the 5th list that got Arcade Fire on number 1. Looks like they did quite a good album in most people eyes (ears).

Find it quite funny that Dungen made the list since he is harldy getting ANY attention in Sweden (where he comes from).  

synecdoche: Since Dungen sings in Swedish I can offer you transaltion of his lyrics if you have not found any yet and if you really want them.

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
Jephs Top 10
« Reply #7 on: 27 Dec 2004, 01:39 »

i should imagine it's lots of stuff about 'fire' and 'mountains'.
or 'picking things up and putting them down somewhere else '.

groovy.
One minute we're playing Mario Kart, the next my penis is in your mouth - it just happens.

flowers for charlie

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2004, 03:21 »

take yourself down, get yourself down to the park inn

honest_that_way

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2004, 09:19 »

Iron & Wine have managed to get into pretty much everyone's top 10 this year, which is lovely.

AddictionKing

heh
« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2004, 11:08 »

He picked ISIS. that's a fantastic lp.  

the fiery furnaces was good as well. and Modest Mouse's effort wasn't the embaressment i had been expecting. Instead it was quite good.

-AK

El Opium

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2004, 13:43 »

Tommydski has it right on the post punk front. I didn't like the Arcade Fire till I got to see em live, glad the one big live show I made it to this year was one that counted. I've never got into the fiery furnaces, too sugary for someone who has to find a razor in his pie. Must be the only list I've seen for a while without Animal Collective on it.

captainawesome

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2004, 16:30 »

I got The Arcade Fire's album last week, and honestly, i was a bit disapointed.  Granted, its still a very good album, but I found it to not quite live up to the hype that everyone's been giving it.  I'm hoping maybe it'll grow on me some.

Other than that, i love all the bands on the list.

Hector Gilbert

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2004, 18:13 »

I'm not really fond of any of the albums mentioned, but none of them are bad as such.  Blueberry Boat does get a bit sugary after a few listens (although it's still clinging on to my top ten), Funeral is too melodramatic, Thunder Lightning Strike feels disjointed and more artificial than Since I Left You (ironically so since there are more actual instruments) and Panopticon just sounds predictable and dull to me as far as "metal" goes.

It's not a bad list though, considering the state of music this year.  I've heard well over forty 2004 albums and I still really did find it difficult to get ahold of decent stuff, with only Pan Sonic's Kesto standing out much.

flowers for charlie

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2004, 19:35 »

only if you take it too seriously

munga

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #15 on: 27 Dec 2004, 19:36 »

the mouse on mars album is very good, as well as the arcade fire's funeral.

unfortunately i haven't seen the following albums in a lot of top album lists this year (being as they are my top 5):

grand national - kicking the national habit
ada - blonde
sasha - involver
lansing dreiden - the incomplete triangle
swayzak - loops from the bergerie

Johnny C

• Awakened
  • i wanna be yr slide dog
    • I AM A WHORE FOR MY OWN MUSIC
Jephs Top 10
« Reply #16 on: 27 Dec 2004, 22:00 »

I do not think that the Arcade Fire is too melodramatic. They are emotional about stuff that is not emo, which is, I mean, the way to be. However, looking at how many top-lists it is number one on this year? It is on its way to being overrated, and I hope captainawesome's experience with it represents the opinion of only a few new listeners, because it is indeed a stellar album.
[02:12] yuniorpocalypse: let's talk about girls
[02:12] Thug In Kitchen: nooo

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
Jephs Top 10
« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2004, 02:20 »

compared to the fiery furnaces, the arcade fire are kraftwerk!
that fucking blueberry boat album has crawled under my skin and laid fucking eggs.
the first song on there is a fucking sea shanty! it's like a rock opera (a concept i truly despise, almost as much as...) of a disney film (the only thing i hate more than rock operas *shudder*) but i can't stop...
for god's sake don't buy it if you haven't! get the comets on fire abum instead! it's to late for me! save yourself!

Korlin

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2004, 09:02 »

As far as the list goes, I have to say that I'd probably agree for the most part. I adore The Futureheads LP, whatever genre you wnat to place it in. The melodies they throw around are brilliant, and 'Decent Days and Nights' is like, BEST SINGLE EVAR, or something.

Still trying to get my head around the Isis' and Fiery Frunaces records as they're the kind of albums that you really have to sit dow and pay attention to.

Also glad to see ones I'd never heard of, like Dungen and Mouse on Mars.

Mmm, sweet...

Mercurial

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #19 on: 28 Dec 2004, 10:05 »

I have no idea what this means, but it's somehow funny.

Johnny C

• Awakened
Jephs Top 10
« Reply #20 on: 28 Dec 2004, 12:37 »

Quote from: tommydski

I am pretty sure that is the indiest sentence I have ever read.

Hector Gilbert

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #21 on: 28 Dec 2004, 17:04 »

Nah The Fiery Furnaces are silly like Faust can be silly (combining sophistication with the refusal to make sense), not melodramatic as such.  Oh and stop generalising Kraftwerk's music!

That album really did get under my skin the first time I heard it, though.  I still don't quite know what to make of it.

tommydski

• Awakened
    • Pocket Jury
Jephs Top 10
« Reply #22 on: 29 Dec 2004, 03:42 »

i love kraftwerk.
that wasn't a generalisation.

MilkmanDan

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #23 on: 29 Dec 2004, 06:16 »

Does three people in a row quoting the exact same sentence count as a quote tunnel? Just wondering.
Yeah.
So.
Back on topic.

captainawesome

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #24 on: 29 Dec 2004, 07:31 »

After repeated listens, i can see why The Arcade Fire was on so many top lists of 2004.  I still would pick several albums ahead of it, but it is definitely up there.

Hector Gilbert

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #25 on: 29 Dec 2004, 10:45 »

i love kraftwerk.
that wasn't a generalisation.

Not everything that they made in the 70s was cool and efficient electronic music, the antithesis of dramatic as it seemed to me you were trying to imply.

Johnny C

• Awakened
Jephs Top 10
« Reply #26 on: 29 Dec 2004, 22:38 »

Hey so John A's list from #8-#5 went up today, and The Arcade Fire clocked in at #5. Any guesses as to what he might have picked for #1, as it is apparently not the same album as most folks?

Bizud

Jephs Top 10
« Reply #27 on: 30 Dec 2004, 00:06 »

You know, looking at a few of the top lists released on the Interweb, I find Elliot Smith's final album seems to be getting what the industry refers to as "the shaft."

Actually it's somewhat of a relief when a decent musician's death doesn't cause them to be massively overrated (Tupac, Jeff Buckley, etc...even Warren Zevon's last album would never have made half the lists it did if he hadn't died), and Elliot Smith was on a downhill slide since Either/Or.
Pages: [1]   Go Up